"Dragon Ball Kai" FUNimation Home Video Release News & Discussion

I honestly don't know how many times we are going to have to go over this, but it is not the same show. Story, yes, if you want to disregard the Dragon Ball Z specific story elements that were added to keep behind the comic, but otherwise that is it. Why is Dragon Ball Kai suddenly the 'definitive version' of Dragon Ball Z when it is as vastly different from Dragon Ball Z as it is? Dragon Ball Kai does have Dragon Ball Z's series-specific story content, a portion of its cast, or music.

Or am I just living in a crazy world where things like music and the actual content, styling, etc. matter but only there? :p

firecrouch

A Pimp of Science!
I honestly don't know how many times we are going to have to go over this, but it is not the same show. Story, yes, if you want to disregard the Dragon Ball Z specific story elements that were added to keep behind the comic, but otherwise that is it. Why is Dragon Ball Kai suddenly the 'definitive version' of Dragon Ball Z when it is as vastly different from Dragon Ball Z as it is? Dragon Ball Kai does have Dragon Ball Z's series-specific story content, a portion of its cast, or music.

Or am I just living in a crazy world where things like music and the actual content, styling, etc. matter but only there? :p

I honestly don't know. You're probably the only person on this whole thread that believes this a different show, so why we just all agree to disagree?

Mynd Hed

Holy blue on a popo!
Whether you consider Kai or Z to be the "definitive" animated version is debatable, but Kai IS Z. Z is not Kai, because there are parts of Z that are not in Kai, but Kai is Z. If I remove the crust from my pizza, that does not make the part that remains any less pizza. You can argue that you are not having the "full and definitive pizza experience" if you do not eat the crust, but that does not mean that I'm not eating pizza. I'm just not eating all of it.

I don't necessarily agree with Funimation that Kai is "definitive," but I understand why they say it is: because past experience has shown them that any time they string the words "definitive" and "DBZ" into a sentence, people tend to throw large wads of money at them. It's just marketing, it's not anything to get bent out of shape about.

Dragonpiece

Whether you consider Kai or Z to be the "definitive" animated version is debatable, but Kai IS Z. Z is not Kai, because there are parts of Z that are not in Kai, but Kai is Z. If I remove the crust from my pizza, that does not make the part that remains any less pizza. You can argue that you are not having the "full and definitive pizza experience" if you do not eat the crust, but that does not mean that I'm not eating pizza. I'm just not eating all of it.

I don't necessarily agree with Funimation that Kai is "definitive," but I understand why they say it is: because past experience has shown them that any time they string the words "definitive" and "DBZ" into a sentence, people tend to throw large wads of money at them. It's just marketing, it's not anything to get bent out of shape about.

Well put.

MugiwaraMikey

Ooookay, that's like saying the original Dragon Ball Z dub isn't DBZ because it had cuts, a music change, and a different cast (regardless of lanugage). It tells the same damn story as Z, so it's Z.

And that's the whole reason why FUNimation added the "Z" in the title, so fans would know it's the SAME THING as Z and not a fourth installment.

Ishtar

Don't think this has mentioned, but according to EvilGamerX of Arlong Park's "friend at Nicktoons", the premiere date for DBZKai on Nicktoons is May 24th, with 4 episodes airing per week. If this is true, perhaps they are very well aware that DBZ was the most succesful here when it aired on weekdays, so they are hoping for similar results in the process. I do wonder how many episodes will even be dubbed and ready to air at that point, though.

Sketch

not like those other old guys
May 24th is a Monday so I'm guessing it'll be airing Monday - Thursday. That's pretty awesome. Kind of makes me interested in getting Nicktoons because they'll probably pair it with some other action shows for a few hours and a weekday "block" with X-Men, Avatar and DBZ Kai would be great.

Ooookay, that's like saying the original Dragon Ball Z dub isn't DBZ because it had cuts, a music change, and a different cast (regardless of lanugage). It tells the same damn story as Z, so it's Z.

And that's the whole reason why FUNimation added the "Z" in the title, so fans would know it's the SAME THING as Z and not a fourth installment.

There actually is a sect that would argue the dub isn't DBZ, and I myself would have a hard time against otherwise, although I won't express my view on the subject. ;p

Don't think this has mentioned, but according to EvilGamerX of Arlong Park's "friend at Nicktoons", the premiere date for DBZKai on Nicktoons is May 24th, with 4 episodes airing per week. If this is true, perhaps they are very well aware that DBZ was the most succesful here when it aired on weekdays, so they are hoping for similar results in the process. I do wonder how many episodes will even be dubbed and ready to air at that point, though.

Ah, so Jason got the air date the, eh? I have to wonder how often Nicktoons will have to cycle through the episodes, though. While FUNimation has been dubbing since the end of the last year I have to wonder if that means they have a whole lot done. I would suppose, however, they could cycle through 1-16 (the Saiyan arc) at four a week in the first month...and then go through months of repeats, just like Toonami. :p

What's this? Nostalgic ramblings in my "Jacob Dragon Ball posts"? Inconceivable!!

Must be a witch! :p

Wait a minute, this is the Home Video Releases thread, why are we talking about that in here? *Gasp*

I don't really care, to be frank. ;p

Daxdiv

Does this look like the face of mercy?
Wait a minute, this is the Home Video Releases thread, why are we talking about that in here? *Gasp*

I don't really care, to be frank. ;p

I thought it was because, I don't think anyone saw that Dragon Ball Kai was getting an American TV Deal in the near future.

Still nice to hear a date for when the dub will air on TV, I'll check it out for curiosity sake.

I thought it was because, I don't think anyone saw that Dragon Ball Kai was getting an American TV Deal in the near future.

I was actually implying somebody could make a thread for the TV run if they wanted but I'm okay with this thread being used for general news until whoever the heck it is who will run the show on the talkback(s) decides to do something.

Until then, yew in mah kin'dum, boyz!! :p

~His Highness the Holy Imperial King of Kings,
Emperor Jacob T. Paschal

Mynd Hed

Holy blue on a popo!
Toonami never seemed to have any problems cycling through the first arc of the original Z interminably while they waited for Namek to be dubbed, and that weekday after-school time slot was certainly very kind to DBZ the first time around, so I wouldn't be surprised if Nicktoons went for the same approach.

Toonami never seemed to have any problems cycling through the first arc of the original Z interminably while they waited for Namek to be dubbed, and that weekday after-school time slot was certainly very kind to DBZ the first time around, so I wouldn't be surprised if Nicktoons went for the same approach.

Toonami did receive the first half of Namek, however. It's the infamous 'episodes 54+' (episode 68+) of Season Three they lacked (as right after Gokû begins to be attacked by Jheese and Butta the episode ends and the next day we'd get Raditz through space or the television edit of Super Deciding Battle for the Entire Planet Earth, which was the film split into three episodes with Shuki Levy's music and Ian Corlett as Son...oddly enough this was first broadcasted in between episode #35 and #36 of their broadcast dub).

Last edited by a moderator:

Sketch

Nicktoons repeats the same episodes of every show A LOT. Though they usually premiere new shows once a week with many encores so having premieres 4 times a week is somewhat new for them.

CN's been known to burn a 26 episode order on weekdays and rerun that several times before getting more. It often worked out on Toonami and Miguzi.

I prefer that Nicktoons is doing this rather than stagger premieres because it means it'll be another show they can run daily and thus making their daily line-up a bit more interesting.

Mad Mod 49

Toonami did receive the first half of Namek, however. It's the infamous 'episodes 54+' (episode 68+) of Season Three they lacked (as right after Gokû begins to be attacked by Jheese and Butta the episode ends and the next day we'd get Raditz through space or the television edit of Super Deciding Battle for the Entire Planet Earth, which was the film split into three episodes with Shuki Levy's music and Ian Corlett as Son...oddly enough this was first broadcasted in between episode #35 and #36 of their broadcast dub).

:confused:....why'd you call him "Gokû" at one point in your post and then "Son" towards the end. Can't you just settle with "Goku?" Or at the very least, "Son Goku?"

Sketch

:confused:....why'd you call him "Gokû" at one point in your post and then "Son" towards the end. Can't you just settle with "Goku?" Or at the very least, "Son Goku?"

Don't even worry about it man. You're talking to a brick wall.

Don't even worry about it man. You're talking to a brick wall.

I don't do it because I'm elitist ass or anything, I'm just switching it up. A number of characters call him 'Son' (like Piccolo and Tenshinhan, while Bulma calls 'im 'Son-kun', but I'm not Bulma...so...). His name is written quite different ways across merchandise and art (although 'Gokou' is wrong), so if I am ever lazy (and there are those times) I'll use 'Gokuu', 'Gokuh', or 'Goku'. 'Gokû' allows me to capture that there's that extra 'u' after 'ku'. I use circumflexes for other Japanese words too (Rurôni Kenshin, Yû Yû Hakusho, Ryô Horikawa the voice of Vegeta, Tenshinhan's Kikô-hô technique).

'Son' is also an excuse to be lazy, although my usual excuse would be "I'm being respectful...of a silly fictional character!! :p" or "Well, he, his sons, and grampappy are the only characters in the series with family names, so why not use 'em? :p"

You can kill me when I start saying 'Seru', 'Torankusu', and 'Bejiita' outside of discussion about what characters are used to spell 'Cell', 'Trunks' and 'Vegeta', though. :p Oh, and usin' honorfics outside of joking around or quoting characters, like how Bulma always calls Gokû 'Son-kun', or how Chichi uses 'Gokû-sa' (hick 'Gokû-san') and 'Gohan-chan'.

Or how Piccolo Daimaô calls himself 'Piccolo Daimaô-sama' *Cue Takeshi Aono's maniacle laughter*

Although I am admittedly feeling like switching to 'Blooma', but 'Bulma' is the spelling Toriyama uses, so I'll likely stick with that.

What? Dragon Ball Kai going to be released in the R1 market already? No way!!1oneelven :p

Spotlight

Members online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Has anyone seen PSI Cops last night?

(cricket noises)

Yeah, I still can't believe that was a thing.
Paramount and Skydance have officially merged. Does this mean that Brian Robbins got the boot?
Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes

Featured Posts