"Dragon Ball Kai" FUNimation Home Video Release News & Discussion

Ishtar

I spoke to Adam Sheehan. He confirmed that Sean Schemmel sang the opening, although I was already positive it was him. He even comented "what better than having Goku singing the opening theme song. Showing up to episode 6 was a mistake on Anime Boston's part, as they only meant to show the first 3. He was also pretty sure that Jerry Jewel sings the ending.

I spoke to Adam Sheehan. He confirmed that Sean Schemmel sang the opening, although I was already positive it was him. He even comented "what better than having Goku singing the opening theme song. Showing up to episode 6 was a mistake on Anime Boston's part, as they only meant to show the first 3. He was also pretty sure that Jerry Jewel sings the ending.

Oh my, how interesting. :p Were Anime Boston given the completed product to work from for the presentation? Hmmm...

By the way, do they plan on uploading any episodes for streaming?

Ishtar

They were given the first disc of Season One Part 1, I even saw the DVD menu and there was a trailer for the FMA Brotherhood set. The person finally stopped the DVD after episode 6, because they had other shows to put on. Also, I don't recall "Son Goku" being said.

Demon_Rin

They were given the first disc of Season One Part 1, I even saw the DVD menu and there was a trailer for the FMA Brotherhood set. The person finally stopped the DVD after episode 6, because they had other shows to put on. Also, I don't recall "Son Goku" being said.

Damnit... No... please, FUNimation... get it right for once... please...

Also, what did he call the Cloud?

Is it still "Flying Nimbus" (wrong), "Kintoun" (Left in Japanese) or some other more accurate translation?

Does it really matter if he's referred to as Son Goku or not? I don't see what the big deal is.

It's his name? It's what Bulma, Tenshinhan and Piccolo call him half the time? It's something used quite a bit in the series. It's faithful to the script...wasn't this dub suppose to be faithful to the original script? You'll lose bits of character if people don't use the 'Son' when it is used.

It's like dropping Monkey or Roronoa from One Piece.

firecrouch

A Pimp of Science!
It's his name? It's what Bulma, Tenshinhan and Piccolo call him half the time? It's something used quite a bit in the series. It's faithful to the script...wasn't this dub suppose to be faithful to the original script? You'll lose bits of character if people don't use the 'Son' when it is used.

It's like dropping Monkey or Roronoa from One Piece.

Son Goku doesn't seem that big a difference to me. I mean what does Son actually mean? Is it an actual full name or is just an honorific like Mrs. or Sir?

Son Goku doesn't seem that big a difference to me. I mean what does Son actually mean? Is it an actual full name or is just a naming device like Mrs. or Sir?

It's his family name, passed on to only his sons, Son Gohan and Son Goten. It's not pronounced like "He is my son" but rather the combing of 'so' and 'n' (similarly pronounced as "It was sown by my mom").

Tenshinhan uses 'Son' out of respect, Piccolo out of disgust, and Bulma's 'Son-kun' dates back to the very first time they met (I forget how it gets started, but she was probably feighning respect to pull a fast one on him so he would help her get the other Balls, but as we can see it sticks). Then there's every other use of 'Son Gokû' by other characters. Apparently Toriyama wanted to get some mileage out of the one family name in the series. :sweat:

firecrouch

A Pimp of Science!
It's his family name, passed on to only his sons, Son Gohan and Son Goten. It's not pronounced like "He is my son" but rather the combing of 'so' and 'n' (similarly pronounced as "It was sown by my mom").

Tenshinhan uses 'Son' out of respect, Piccolo out of disgust, and Bulma's 'Son-kun' dates back to the very first time they met (I forget how it gets started, but she was probably feighning respect to pull a fast one on him so he would help her get the other Balls, but as we can see it sticks). Then there's every other use of 'Son Gokû' by other characters. Apparently Toriyama wanted to get some mileage out of the one family name in the series. :sweat:

So it's just a family name? That's fine, I mean I'd rather have it in the dub but it's not like I'll be missing much.

Isn't Bulma's family name Briefs? Or is that just a dub-ism?

As I explained back a few posts :)p like I could blame anyone for skipping of it), Brief is the name of her pappy. 'Briefs' is never listed in the Japanese version or databooks, so far as our Kanzentai friends have been able to find, so yeah...it's a dubism.

Mynd Hed

Holy blue on a popo!
Well, if he's referred to as "Dr." Brief, then that would be a pretty strong implication that it's his family name and not his personal name. But I'm no expert, so I don't know if that's how he's referred to in the Japanese. Seems to be pretty standard across every English version I've encountered, though.

Well, if he's referred to as "Dr." Brief, then that would be a pretty strong implication that it's his family name and not his personal name. But I'm no expert, so I don't know if that's how he's referred to in the Japanese. Seems to be pretty standard across every English version I've encountered, though.

Not quite. Toriyama has confirmed that family names are extremely uncommon in the Dragon Ball world, not even Mark has one. Gran'pappy Gohan--being a hick--might only have one because it's a hick thing. As I recall Bulma is only ever refferred to as the daughter of the president of Capsule Corp. and when Son asks a policeman for help in finding her he notes that 'Bulma' is a common name and the city has three of them. He uses a device that has pictures of each Bulma to help Gokû tell which is the one he is looking for.

Don't even bother bringing Tao Pai Pai into the fold, Toriyama doesn't even remember the poor guy. :p

I really need to get Herms or Hujio on speed-dial for these things. o_O

Last edited by a moderator:

Sketch

not like those other old guys
I'm back from Sakura Con and here are my thoughts on the first three dubbed episodes.

Narrator: EPIC, very awesome. He sounds a bit like Brice Armstrong actually. The only problem is... he kind of doesn't fit in with the dub.

Goku: Schemmel made Goku quite a bit more peppy than he has been in previous performances. Somewhat unnaturally so but it suits Goku's personality pretty well. I expect good things from his performance overall.

Gohan: Colleen didn't sound much if at all like her Luffy voice. She sounded much younger. She didn't qutie sound like a little boy should but it's a good voice. Dare I say better than Stephanie Nadonley's.

Piccolo: Sabat is voicing both Piccolo and Vegeta a bit differently this time around. Piccolo is pretty much his lowest tone without any scratchiness to it. It's pleasant. Mostly like his Zoro voice. A solid performance so far.

Vegeta: Vegeta sounds a lot less raspy... a bit more... normal? Yeah I guess that's a good way to put it. People who are sick of Sabat sounding like he's horribly constipated should be pleased.

Bulma: IMO, better than her original FUNimation VA whose name escapes me at the moment. She sounds more believable so thumbs up to Monica Rial.

Raditz: Uh... wasn't feeling this one. It doesn't seem as good as Justin Cook did with the role in the past. He seemed to be trying really hard to sound "superior" and it came off a bit corny honestly.

Bardock: I heard Usopp when he yelled which was a bit awkward... I don't think Sonny has quite the right tone for him anymore. Too bad... It was an okay performance though.

Frieza: No change comes to mind and that's not really a good thing.

Krillin, Chichi, Roshi: Good as they always have been.

Original music is kept

OP and ED are dubbed (NOT by Vic McDerpdaderp)

Script is solid. No puns. Nothing seems really cheesy actually except for the episode previews primarily narrated by Goku in a silly manner. Very faithful as far as I can tell. Mild swearing so far meaning a few damns and hells which I doubt will be in the broadcast version on Nicktoons.

Overall... better than their DBZ dub. Coming from a guy who enjoys their dub you might have to take that from a grain of salt but I will say if you wanted something closer to the Japanese you've finally got it in their DBZ Kai dub. I highly recommend it.

Yeah, Schemmel does the opening. Doc Morgan (from what I've heard from the clip posted) doesn't seem to fit the title card music whatsoever.

I've gotta agree with you on Cook, though. He's always sounded terribly forced in his Dragon Ball roles and from what I'm hearing...it's no different here.

King

I'M GOING TO JAPAN!
I'm back from Sakura Con and here are my thoughts on the first three dubbed episodes.

Narrator: EPIC, very awesome. He sounds a bit like Brice Armstrong actually. The only problem is... he kind of doesn't fit in with the dub.

Goku: Schemmel made Goku quite a bit more peppy than he has been in previous performances. Somewhat unnaturally so but it suits Goku's personality pretty well. I expect good things from his performance overall.

Gohan: Colleen didn't sound much if at all like her Luffy voice. She sounded much younger. She didn't qutie sound like a little boy should but it's a good voice. Dare I say better than Stephanie Nadonley's.

Piccolo: Sabat is voicing both Piccolo and Vegeta a bit differently this time around. Piccolo is pretty much his lowest tone without any scratchiness to it. It's pleasant. Mostly like his Zoro voice. A solid performance so far.

Vegeta: Vegeta sounds a lot less raspy... a bit more... normal? Yeah I guess that's a good way to put it. People who are sick of Sabat sounding like he's horribly constipated should be pleased.

Bulma: IMO, better than her original FUNimation VA whose name escapes me at the moment. She sounds more believable so thumbs up to Monica Rial.

Raditz: Uh... wasn't feeling this one. It doesn't seem as good as Justin Cook did with the role in the past. He seemed to be trying really hard to sound "superior" and it came off a bit corny honestly.

Bardock: I heard Usopp when he yelled which was a bit awkward... I don't think Sonny has quite the right tone for him anymore. Too bad... It was an okay performance though.

Frieza: No change comes to mind and that's not really a good thing.

Krillin, Chichi, Roshi: Good as they always have been.

Original music is kept

OP and ED are dubbed (NOT by Vic McDerpdaderp)

Script is solid. No puns. Nothing seems really cheesy actually except for the episode previews primarily narrated by Goku in a silly manner. Very faithful as far as I can tell. Mild swearing so far meaning a few damns and hells which I doubt will be in the broadcast version on Nicktoons.

Overall... better than their DBZ dub. Coming from a guy who enjoys their dub you might have to take that from a grain of salt but I will say if you wanted something closer to the Japanese you've finally got it in their DBZ Kai dub. I highly recommend it.

Yeah, finally. I do love the old DBZ dubs, but I always wish the dubs will stay closer to the JP dub. I guess my wish came true.

Anyways, I guess Goku is really singing the opening song. Hmmm, to be honest, I thought Vic will be the one singing it.

MugiwaraMikey

I heard someone say before that they kept the "Son" surname, but I've heard from elsewhere that they didn't. So what's the deal? Did they keep it or not?

Sketch

not like those other old guys
I didn't hear it in the first 3 episodes... though it's possible I missed it at some point.

They did however for sure use the Japanese attack names.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Has anyone seen PSI Cops last night?

(cricket noises)

Yeah, I still can't believe that was a thing.
Paramount and Skydance have officially merged. Does this mean that Brian Robbins got the boot?
Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes

Featured Posts