"Dragon Ball Kai" FUNimation Home Video Release News & Discussion

It makes them look pretty silly when they say they're doing an accurate dub...and yet there are still so many changes retained from their previous dubs.

I wonder how many times I've said that now? :sweat:

Sketch

not like those other old guys
Too many.

They way I see it is. It's still an accurate dub if they get the rest of it right. Terms and names being kept from previous dubs is a bit of a drag but I'm not going to say they failed at making an accurate dub just because of those minor things.

That would be like saying the TV dub of One Piece FUNimation did was inaccurate simply because of some terms being kept and Zoro still being Zolo. That's not really the case. It was edited but it was accurate and portrayed the One Piece story properly. In this case the dub is both uncut and more accurate than FUNi's TV dub of One Piece. So it's plenty accurate.

No argument that it could have been more so but FUNimation did an excellent job and I'm sick of the nitpicking I see here and on other forums.

Some people will never be content. If it's not a wrong term it's that they said it wrong or the voice saying it was all wrong.

But for the record I roll my eyes at Kaio's voice. I mean really... It's not even cute or funny. It's just bad.

Too many.

They way I see it is. It's still an accurate dub if they get the rest of it right. Terms and names being kept from previous dubs is a bit of a drag but I'm not going to say they failed at making an accurate dub just because of those minor things.

Why are names 'minor things'? These are the names given to the characters by their creator, known by fans globally, and are a part of the characters and how they interact with each other. In the case of Gokû, there are those who call him by Son, Gokû, or the full Son Gokû because of their relationship with the character. Removing that removes a layer of the character interactions, one of the core things that makes Dragon Ball as entertaining as it is.

That would be like saying the TV dub of One Piece FUNimation did was inaccurate simply because of some terms being kept and Zoro still being Zolo. That's not really the case. It was edited but it was accurate and portrayed the One Piece story properly. In this case the dub is both uncut and more accurate than FUNi's TV dub of One Piece. So it's plenty accurate.

It is inaccurate. So is the use of 'King Eneru' over 'God Eneru' or any of the other stupid name changes Toei imposed. They're just not relevent because the likelihood those episode will ever again be seen is pretty slim-to-none.

No argument that it could have been more so but FUNimation did an excellent job and I'm sick of the nitpicking I see here and on other forums.

Some people will never be content. If it's not a wrong term it's that they said it wrong or the voice saying it was all wrong.

Why is having genuine discord with the retention of changes, despite claims otherwise would happen, 'nitpicking'? This isn't even about voice work, but the actual script and whether or not it carries over the elements that define characters' personalities and development.

Then again, you don't actually care so I suppose this conversation won't actually go anywhere. ;):p

MugiwaraMikey

He's right though. People do nitpick over the most ridiculous things and those people also take the cartoon way too seriously. If you can't accept and live with those things that are "inaccurate" then just don't watch it. We get it if you don't like it; you've said it a million times.

He's right though. People do nitpick over the most ridiculous things and those people also take the cartoon way too seriously. If you can't accept and live with those things that are "inaccurate" then just don't watch it. We get it if you don't like it; you've said it a million times.

:confused:

This isn't about whether I like it or not, this is about whether or not alterations make a dub inaccurate or not.

Last edited by a moderator:

MugiwaraMikey

Well, they're aiming to make the script accurate, it's just a few terms that aren't going to be exactly the same as the original. But even so, they're minor and not even that different from the original (as much as I prefer Tenshinhan to Tien Shinhan, it's really not that big of a change) and don't affect the story at all so they aren't really worth making a big deal of.

Hopefully the TV dub won't edit too much from the uncut.

I saw some clips on Nicktoons.com and it seems fine to me. We still get the gist of the story. Raditz explaining what saiyans are and what they're supposed to do was good.

Sketch

I finally busted out the first disc and watched the 7 episodes on it with a buddy of mine (he skipped the OP and ED every time :(). Really great dub. I think I can even stand King Kai a bit more this time around but that was still a poor choice on their part. Greggory leaves a bit to be desired but it wasn't too bad. Radditz still sounds like he's "trying too hard" to sound superior but he wasn't around long thankfully. Sabat's doing a bang up job as Piccolo so far and despite how easy it would be to hear Luffy fighting Zoro during their training I didn't really notice which was something I was slightly concerned about. Colleen makes a great Gohan though still not quite believable as a young boy I must admit.

Some of the voices still being perhaps "too cartoony" is another thing I find slightly hard to accept but the performances were plenty entertaining. This is easily the best dub Dragonball Z has ever gotten but that shouldn't be surprising since they know what they're doing this time around. An excellent script except for maybe King Kai's jokes. I have to question if those are even the least bit accurate to the Japanese dialogue.

Ryusuke

SomethingWithTheR
Finished the set. The dub's definitely the best this franchise will ever get. The acting and writing (in terms of adaptation) is much more sharper this time around. Though, it's not perfect, but good enough for me. Sabat's great as Piccolo, but he has made improvements with his Vegeta and Yamcha (who doesn't sound much of a surfer dude anymore). Colleen's a great Gohan, though I kind of wish she kept that baby voice going a bit longer. I enjoyed Sean Schemmel's Goku this time around. He actually sounds so...goofy. Well, a little closer to what the character is anyway. Phil Parsons' Nappa kind of reminds me of Takahata101's sometimes. Still don't like King Kai's voice, but I can deal with it.

"I sold my car...FOR GAS MONEY!"

Mandouga

If Colleen Clinkenbeard was going to be in the dub anyway, why didn't they also cast her as Krillin? After all, Mayumi Tanaka voices him in the Japanese track (get it?)...

PC!

lolwut?
If Colleen Clinkenbeard was going to be in the dub anyway, why didn't they also cast her as Krillin? After all, Mayumi Tanaka voices him in the Japanese track (get it?)...

I think Sonny Strait is the perfect voice for Krillin, personally. I'd hate for him to sound like Luffy.

Sketch

Colleen bless her heart is not Mayumi Tanaka. Not by a long shot. She makes a great Luffy but she wouldn't sound the least bit believable as an adult male like Krillin. Sonny Strait makes a great Krillin so there's no reason to replace him.

PC!

lolwut?
Speaking of Colleen...

What if FUNimation went the "Nozawa" route and had her continue playing Gohan in the Buu saga when he's a teenager? What would you guys think?

MugiwaraMikey

Speaking of Colleen...

What if FUNimation went the "Nozawa" route and had her continue playing Gohan in the Buu saga when he's a teenager? What would you guys think?

Nonononono... please no... Colleen should just voice him up until the end of the Cell Games. Then they should get Kyle Hebert back for the Buu saga.

Sketch

Actually I think they should get someone who sounds more convincingly like a teenager for Gohan's high school years. Perhaps the young man they got for Soul Eater Evans.

The second part of the interview with Sabat and Schemmel: http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=lf6qeO-Wd2c

This time they speak about Dragon Ball Kai's music.

Speaking of Colleen...

Having one actor play a character for their entire story would certainly be a good idea.

Hujio

The second part of the interview with Sabat and Schemmel: http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=lf6qeO-Wd2c
I love the fact that they love the music of (Z) Kai because it has moments of silence in between the music and isn't so "in your face". That's how the original Japanese score was for DragonBall Z, which is why fans complained about Kai's "in your face" music with very little silence. Now it's all flip-flopped on me, and I'm confused. And what does Sabat mean when he says, "We don't have to guess as to whether the Japanese wanted it to be a certain way?" In DragonBall Z, what was there to guess about? The music was there, they just had to use it.

A great quote from the interview:
"I think it's going to be the definitive Dragon Ball Z." - Sean Schemmel

Where have I heard this before?

Also, Schemmel says if you want to know what DragonBall Z is about, you should watch (Z) Kai or read the manga. I thought FUNimation cleared this up with their "top 10 reasons" list, in that you literally can't get any closer to experiencing Akira Toriyama's original vision. Sorry, I just had to say that.

I also want to know, if they're so excited now and have learned so much about the original series, why did they choose to use certain dub lingo (i.e. names, attacks, etc.)? That's just laziness on everyone's part. And I'm kind of not surprised at all to hear Schemmel say he's never actually listened to the original Japanese music. And I love how Schemmel bashes the original producers and execs, but then says he's not at all saying the original dub was a bad series. Which is it? Was it good, or bad? Don't go around blaming other people about a show you all had your hands in, but then turn around and try to tell all the dub fans that it's still a really good series. It just sounds so conflicting. Also, you can now publicly say you didn't like the original dub and how it was handled? It's comments like this that are very hard to swallow. This I'm just not buying. I mean, you said yourself that you didn't know what you were doing then, but you do now. So when exactly did you realize what you were doing was nothing like the original? You've always praised the English dub and how amazingly awesome you think it is. So what's changed here? Anyway...

Lastly, someone (Schemmel) has finally said something about this being Japanese, and he even mentioned Toei itself. But I still have to wonder why they haven't used this to their advantage in promoting the series.

Overall, I do like these little insights into how these guys think. Too bad it's so hard for me to believe them after all their years of telling me the original English dub was so amazing in comparison to the original Japanese version.

Innagadadavida

Doenaught
Having one actor play a character for their entire story would certainly be a good idea.

No, that would be a terrible idea. Just because something works in Japan, doesn't mean it works in America. You don't seem to understand that. We can have a voice that fits the character without it ruining the integrity of tone of the show.

GWOtaku

Staff member
Reporter
And I love how Schemmel bashes the original producers and execs, but then says he's not at all saying the original dub was a bad series. Which is it? Was it good, or bad?

It's legitimate, I think, to say that the old product isn't awful (after all, its many flaws notwithtanding, its tremendous success is undeniable) and also argue that it still doesn't hold a candle to the new dubbed product, which I'd have to agree with now that I've just seen the first two dubbed episodes on Nicktoons. Yeah, there's a lot of hype going on with Kai, but I don't think that what they're trying to say is off-base on its face.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Has anyone seen PSI Cops last night?

(cricket noises)

Yeah, I still can't believe that was a thing.
Paramount and Skydance have officially merged. Does this mean that Brian Robbins got the boot?
Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes

Featured Posts