"Dragon Ball Kai" FUNimation Home Video Release News & Discussion

I was just a young kid. Back then it all sounded the same to me. Still sorta does. It's not like there are huge, vast differences.

There's notable differences in how Nozawa performs each of the characters, at least as far as Gokû, Gohan, Bardock, and Tullece are concerned. 'Vocally' (as in, in terms of seperating them as completely different voices), there is little difference. In terms of tone and the way she performs, however, there are huge differences.

Not to come off rudely, but if there's been such a large (small?) gap between the forming of your view on the subject and any actual research into the subject, it might be a good idea to freshen up on the subject before trying to discuss it. I'd certainly have to do the same if we were speaking about, say, the release history of Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings books. Not to insinuate I am any sort of expert on Nozawa's acting, but I'm certainly familiar with it.

Mad Mod 49

There's notable differences in how Nozawa performs each of the characters, at least as far as Gokû, Gohan, Bardock, and Tullece are concerned. 'Vocally' (as in, in terms of seperating them as completely different voices), there is little difference. In terms of tone and the way she performs, however, there are huge differences.

I've noted that for awhile, actually. Nozawa uses the same tone of voice acting for Kid Goku, Kid Gohan, and Goten. She uses a more grown-up and "boyish" tone for grown-up Gohan and she uses a creepy, evil tone for Tullece. And she uses the same voice for both Adult Goku and Bardock.

It's that latter voice that bothers me. For as much as people like Jacob complain about how Funimation's actors give "forced" performances by having to put on voices, that's how I feel about Nozawa's Goku. It sounds rougher, more growly, and unnatural in comparission to her other voices; her acting's still good but she always sounds like she's trying too hard to sound "grown up" and it just comes out as grating to the ears. It would've been a better idea to just get a new voice for Adult Goku like it was originally intended.

Seriously... Bardock too? It just doesn't work for me.

It doesn't work period. Nozawa was miscast as Bardock simply because Bardock looks like Goku, even though his character is nothing like Goku so he can't have the "childishness" excuse that Goku has. And you can't use the excuse of Bardock being his father when his brother Raditz didn't have Nozawa's voice. Come to think of it, Shigeru Chiba would probably have made a better Bardock.

Though really, my "castrated-sounding Goku" post was meant to be pretty silly, as evidenced by the :p. I didn't know it would spark any whole discussions.

MugiwaraMikey

Not to come off rudely, but if there's been such a large (small?) gap between the forming of your view on the subject and any actual research into the subject, it might be a good idea to freshen up on the subject before trying to discuss it. I'd certainly have to do the same if we were speaking about, say, the release history of Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings books. Not to insinuate I am any sort of expert on Nozawa's acting, but I'm certainly familiar with it.

Look, I've watched plenty of Japanese Dragon Ball/Z/GT/Kai and I do notice the different tones and acting she uses for certain characters, but I said I think the differences aren't that huge. It's my opinion, so please don't tell me that my opinion is wrong.

PirateBeck

Jacob, no offence or anything but these guys are do have a point. Nozawa wasn't the first choice Toriyama had for the character so really, while you can say she is the definite Japanese voice, how do you honestly know what Toriyama originally planned? The only voice actress that is placed from the start for select characters seems to only be Mayumi Tanaka so stop trying to tell them otherwise dude. They are allowed to have an opinion and just because you don't like these opinions doesn't mean you have to state yours all the time.

It doesn't work period. Nozawa was miscast as Bardock simply because Bardock looks like Goku, even though his character is nothing like Goku so he can't have the "childishness" excuse that Goku has. And you can't use the excuse of Bardock being his father when his brother Raditz didn't have Nozawa's voice. Come to think of it, Shigeru Chiba would probably have made a better Bardock.

I honestly agree. Casting everyone who looks like Goku under the same voice actress is just lazy in my opinion. I can understand if they had a smaller voice poll (like Odex back in the day) but this is Japan, even in the 90s, they could of surely found similar yet different sounding actors/actresses?

Look, I've watched plenty of Japanese Dragon Ball/Z/GT/Kai and I do notice the different tones and acting she uses for certain characters, but I said I think the differences aren't that huge. It's my opinion, so please don't tell me that my opinion is wrong.

I'm sorry that's how you're perceiving this. I signified in my post I wasn't clear on whether your views were based on childhood (7-10? 11?) memory or recent memory. I understood the words "Still sorta does" as recollecting the self-proclaimed 'young kid' memories, rather than stating any more recent dealings. If I misunderstood, then that is on me. I apolgize if my mistaken assumption came off as insulting or to diminish the right you have to hold an opinion. Everybody has that right here.

Let's be honest though, if I was going to say "your opinion is wrong" I'd have outright said that. ;)[/ice breaking joke]

Sketch

not like those other old guys

Well that's a fine choice for child Goku who he was casting at the time. And he probably grew accustomed to the voice during that time and decided she should remain Goku in his adult years. But the fact of the matter is he picked that voice of kid Goku. It's very likely that had he been casting adult Goku only at the time he may have made a different decision. That is not to say he wasn't also deciding the adult voice of Goku at the time but unless he also said that it could go either way.

And it's all fine and well if Toriyama says Masako Nozawa is what Goku should sound like. Doesn't mean I have to like it as much as he or anyone else does. I do wonder what voice Toriyama would pick out of the FUNimation actors though. It probably would not have been Schemmel.

Alright Innagadadavida, you have a point about attack names used in Dragon Ball. Since it seems they are trying to make Kai and the original DB sets flow into each other to have a more or less consistant release for Dragon Ball on the dub side. That was an oversight on my part. This is probably also why Goku is not Son Goku. Which by the way still doesn't bother me.

Personally I never expected them to detach themselves entirely from the terms they've been using for over a decade. The fact that they even changed some surprises me to an extent. Its nice of them to improve the accuracy though. Regardless I am quite content with what we have so far and look forward to the much easier to sit through Namek saga.

MugiwaraMikey

I'm sorry that's how you're perceiving this. I signified in my post I wasn't clear on whether your views were based on childhood (7-10? 11?) memory or recent memory. I understood the words "Still sorta does" as recollecting the self-proclaimed 'young kid' memories, rather than stating any more recent dealings. If I misunderstood, then that is on me. I apolgize if my mistaken assumption came off as insulting or to diminish the right you have to hold an opinion. Everybody has that right here.
Uh... Obviously recent memory? What I meant was when I was a kid, I couldn't tell the differences between the voices at all. Kids don't really dissect and pay much attention to things like that. But now that I'm older I can tell the differences, but what I'm saying is I don't think that there are as much differences as you make them seem to be.

Let's be honest though, if I was going to say "your opinion is wrong" I'd have outright said that. ;)[/ice breaking joke]
What you said pretty much gave off that vibe. Not only that, but it was insulting. Just because I have a different opinion, you assumed I wasn't familiar enough with her voices to tell the differences? I don't see what makes your opinion more valuable than mine. Then you told me to actually take up research on it? Come on, man.

Somewhere along the line, I think this thread stopped being about Dragon Ball Kai's US home video releases. :sweat:

Jacob, no offence or anything but these guys are do have a point. Nozawa wasn't the first choice Toriyama had for the character so really, while you can say she is the definite Japanese voice, how do you honestly know what Toriyama originally planned?

I'm not really sure what this is in reply to, so I'm not really sure how to reply. Toriyama picked her from the audition tapes. Yes. Is this somehow suppose to connect back to the discussion about the actresses ability to seperate the six characters she plays? I'm really not sure what you're getting at here. Not even that connect backs to myself supposedly telling other's what to think.

By all means, let me know if there's something I'm missing here so I can admit to being wrong (or not).

suss2it

Just got the bluray for DBZK. The opening and ending credits are beautiful, and it reminded me of that special from a couple years ago. Does anyone know if that's gonna get dubbed or not?

PirateBeck

I'm not really sure what this is in reply to, so I'm not really sure how to reply. Toriyama picked her from the audition tapes. Yes. Is this somehow suppose to connect back to the discussion about the actresses ability to seperate the six characters she plays? I'm really not sure what you're getting at here. Not even that connect backs to myself supposedly telling other's what to think.

By all means, let me know if there's something I'm missing here so I can admit to being wrong (or not).

This was relating to the point stated in Daizenshuu 3 where it was stated Toriyama chose from 5 or 6 different actors to voice the character of Goku. When it came Kuririn, he already had a voice in his head for the character and spefically picked Mayumi, as Oda did for Luffy. So what I meant was that while she is the irreplacable Japanese voice, we will never know what kind of voice Toriyama originally had for Son Goku. Who knows, maybe he cast them like Sketch did in his head.

Last edited by a moderator:
So how about that Dragon Ball Kai?

Just because I have a different opinion,

Our differing opinions on the subject of whether or not Nozawa creates a big enough difference through her performance (rather then using a different 'voice') is the basis of why the conversation was begun. It is (was?) the topic at hand. Neither of us are here to always be agreed with, but rather to engage in debate over our differing views on friendly terms.

you assumed I wasn't familiar enough with her voices to tell the difference?

As I told you, my assumption was based on a lack of clarity as to whether or not I was understanding what you were saying. Remember my use of "large gap (small?)"? That was my (terribly?) expressed confusion as to whether or not you were claiming to have only the long ago forged opinion, or not.

I don't see what makes your opinion more valuable than mine.

It's not, obviously.

Then you told me to actually take up research on it?

Again, as I've made clear, I was under the wrong assumption due to an error on my part. Now, had I not made this error I wouldn't have suggested you re-evaluate because I would obviously have known whether or not you had the current experience to back up the opinion. It would be like myself saying "I think papaya suck" except my opinion would hold no ground because I've never eaten papaya (seriously, I never have to my knowledge). I'm ignorant of papaya just as I was ignorant of what experience you had on the topic we were discussing.

Come on, man.

I did state my intent was not to be rude. Now, I was either lying (which is untrue) or I genuinly thought that the suggestion would help lead to a better discussion (which is true). In my own ignorance I failed to see there was no need for the suggestion. I wrote that entire post under false pretenses which I am at fault for.

I have neither the time, energy, nor will for this to continue in this thread. If you would like me to continue profusely apologizing for a dumb-ass mistake I made in silly ignorance that led to these shennanigans, by all means send me a private message. My preference would be that we can make peace and go about our day and come back to this day and have a nice laugh at my unfortunate error. :)

GWOtaku

Staff member
Reporter
Goku's voice, to me, is a perfect example of a Japanese performance that would have translated badly if an attempt had been made to replicate it in English. Nozawa's take, while iconic across the Pacific, wouldn't work here. Gohan and Luffy from One Piece are one situation, but I don't think any female VA could pull off an adult Goku that English-speaking viewers could take seriously. He's a grown & powerful man, & a good English performance balances the seriousness of Goku the warrior and the oblivious, happy-go-lucky aspect of his personality. In that respect, Schemmel's performance is probably a net success based on what I've heard so far. In fact, I probably have to admit that this time around he's clearly better than any of the Ocean Group actors that played Goku.

Ryusuke

SomethingWithTheR
I have to admit though. Despite not liking her Freeza, I feel sort of bad that she's getting replaced all of a sudden. I hate to see her reaction after all this.

Mad Mod 49

Oh my God....it's really happening. Freeza's been recast. And a guy is going to do his voice. Supposedly a really creepy voice. And with a script that does Freeza justice. ...........HALLELUJAH!!!

Seriously, I am DEFINITELY going to own all of this dub on DVD. Screw the nitpicks, this really is gonna be the best DBZ dub ever! :cool:

I have to admit though. Despite not liking her Freeza, I feel sort of bad that she's getting replaced all of a sudden. I hate to see her reaction after all this.

I thought that interview implied that Linda tried to record the new lines in her Freeza voice but couldn't make it work. She's probably fine with the recast. She's done Freeza more than enough times already, after all.

FireStarterLE

You don't want to see us mad

Well according to the video it doesn't sound like it was "sudden". From what they said, she gave it a shot with her Freeza voice but since the character's dialogue has changed since then, she wasn't able to keep up with it.

I'm sure she's disappointed but sometimes as the characters change you have to change the roles too (ie Aaron Dismuke in Full Metal Alchemist having to give way to Maxey in Brotherhood)

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Has anyone seen PSI Cops last night?

(cricket noises)

Yeah, I still can't believe that was a thing.
Paramount and Skydance have officially merged. Does this mean that Brian Robbins got the boot?
Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes

Featured Posts