Dragon Ball Movie 1 Coming Soon To DVD(Again)

PC!

lolwut?
Heck, I'd love a Dragonbox release of the films just so I can have them all in one handsome collection instead of the single and double-releases we've gotten in the past.

GingaDaiuchuu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7mJ_qDnBBA

Trailer. Quite well done, but I love how we have absolutely no clue if it is dubbed by the in-house cast or not. :p

I'm sure it is. They've made sure that's the case with every piece of Dragon Ball animation they release other than this.

You know, if this movie was in fact given an uncut redub afterall, I have a feeling we'll hear Colleen Clinkenbeard as Goku, Monica Rial as Bulma and Bryan Massey as Oolong.
I fully approve.

SpaceCowboy

The movie's dub doesn't need to be consistent with the TV series dub from 2001.
After all, Movie 2's dub had a completely different voicecast and Goku was not voiced by Stephanie Nadolny in Movie 3 either.

PC!

lolwut?
Interesting packaging. Judging from the "Movie One", perhaps we'll be seeing the other DB movies rereleased in similar fashion.

Innagadadavida

Doenaught
The movie's dub doesn't need to be consistent with the TV series dub from 2001.
After all, Movie 2's dub had a completely different voicecast and Goku was not voiced by Stephanie Nadolny in Movie 3 either.

And those dubs are terrible. These are the last shreds of classic Dragon Ball material that FUNimation has not properly treated (as in consistent with the rest of the dub, Japanese audio, and good quality video). I'm not worried about a new Oolong or Bulma, but if they don't have Stephany return to redub these last three movies, I will not support this release. Stephany Nadolny's portrayal of Goku will always be a very important staple in my Dragon Ball fandom. That is the voice I grew up with. I will have an English-speaking Kid Goku no other way.

Ishtar

And those dubs are terrible. These are the last shreds of classic Dragon Ball material that FUNimation has not properly treated (as in consistent with the rest of the dub, Japanese audio, and good quality video). I'm not worried about a new Oolong or Bulma, but if they don't have Stephany return to redub these last three movies, I will not support this release. Stephany Nadolny's portrayal of Goku will always be a very important staple in my Dragon Ball fandom. That is the voice I grew up with. I will have an English-speaking Kid Goku no other way.
I agree, but with the way things are going with Colleen not only replacing Nadolny as Gohan, but also recording Baby Goku's cries, I think it's more likely we'd see her as Goku instead. Nadolny may not have been the best Gohan, but she was perfect as Goku.

SpaceCowboy

Both Movies 2 and 3 do have bilingual DVD releases from Funimation. Though I wouldn't mind them doing a completely new dub of Movie 2, because it is pretty bad. In fact, this movie's dub was Funi's first ever Texas-studio work and the actors sound slightly worse than their dub of DBZ's Ginyu/Freeza Saga episodes from 1999.

Movie 3's dub on the other hand should probably be only partially redubbed. It does share more of the same voice actors that were in the TV series dub, like Tiffany Volmer. The acting is a noticeable improvement over Movie 2, while not fully on par with the TV series.

I doubt Stephany Nadolny's coming back. Funimation's changed voice actors multiple times in the franchise.
Goku's new VA, Colleen Clickenbeard may be a change getting used to, but she's definately better than Funi's first voice for Goku (Ceyli Delgadillo, who dubbed Dende in Dragon Ball Z).

Innagadadavida

Doenaught
Acting aside, the dub script for DB Movie 3 was pretty bad. Arale would never say "what a stud" or "I'm getting a bad vibe."

And I still stand by my previous statement. Colleen Clickenbeard is fantastic actress, and I fully support her taking over as Gohan. But she is not Goku. She will never be Goku to me.

All I want is a little consistency among the TV series and the movies. Every other FUNimation property, in which this situation applies, has this.

Judging that she didn't return for Dragon Ball Kai, I'm not seeing the likelihood that she would for a dub of The Legend of Shen Long (assuming one was not recorded years ago).

Although so long as there's a Japanese track (which the promo...isn't talking about) I'm cool.

In fact...I see no mention of this being uncut in the promo at all. Haven't all of the Dragon Ball promos marketed how uncut the products have been for the past quarter dozen years? o_O

Innagadadavida

Doenaught
Judging that she didn't return for Dragon Ball Kai, I'm not seeing the likelihood that she would for a dub of The Legend of Shen Long (assuming one was not recorded years ago).

You have a nasty habit of pointing out the complete obvious. That must be why you have a mind-blowing +10,000 posts.

I was talking about my preference. I'm not the only one who grew up with Nadolny. I'm not the only one who will greatly miss her absence in the case of a redub of these movies. I will not buy these movies if FUNimation doesn't get Stephany Nadolny for just these last three 135 minutes of footage..

You have a nasty habit of pointing out the complete obvious. That must be why you have a mind-blowing +10,000 posts.

Pointing out the obvious would be saying "That would suck for you if such a dub with Nadolny was not release." ;)

I'm hardly the only one with over 10,000 posts. :sweat: There's nearly thirty posters with over 10,000 posts.

I was talking about my preference. I'm not the only one who grew up with Nadolny. I'm not the only one who will greatly miss her absence in the case of a redub of these movies. I will not buy these movies if FUNimation doesn't get Stephany Nadolny for just these last three 135 minutes of footage..

And I wasn't speaking against your preferences, either. I was stating my outlook on the situation and segueing into my other observations.

MugiwaraMikey

I too grew up with Stephanie's voice as Goku and Gohan. It's going to be seriously weird hearing Colleen as Gohan in Kai, but oh well, I guess they have their reasons. As much as I'm going to miss Stephanie, I'm still going to support the releases because I'm a big fan of FUNi's work on Dragon Ball.

I'm hoping they only made Colleen voice young Gohan just for the sake of making him and young Goku sound different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7mJ_qDnBBA

Trailer. Quite well done, but I love how we have absolutely no clue if it is dubbed by the in-house cast or not. :p

Cool trailer, and even cooler boxart. But... why wouldn't it be dubbed by the in-house cast? FUNi has been using their own in-house cast for the Dragon Ball franchise for over ten years, and even Chris Sabat was narrating the trailer. Soooo... yeah.

Cool trailer, and even cooler boxart. But... why wouldn't it be dubbed by the in-house cast? FUNi has been using their own in-house cast for the Dragon Ball franchise for over ten years, and even Chris Sabat was narrating the trailer. Soooo... yeah.

There's footaged edited into the trailer from episode #2 of Dragon Ball, just like the first dub of the film. There's absolutely no mention of it being uncut or having the original Japanese audio. The early review (not based on the finished product, mind you) claimed it would use the FUNi-BLT dub. The release had been delayed now.

This is enough to think a in-house dub just now is in need of being produced.

GWOtaku

Staff member
Reporter
Huh, so this movie is a retelling. I don't consciously remember seeing it but I think it must have been on TV in some form in the 90s, because I'm just about positive that I've seen footage of it outside of Dragon Ball's syndicated opening. Memories are hazy, but it's definitely not the first time.

FUNi always releases their stuff uncut and the only time I can think of them not including the Japanese audio (for the most part) was their Shin Chan release, but they had their reasons.

Yes, I know that. However, why is it this trailer--of a film never released uncut or subbed in the R1 market--suddenly is the one Dragon Ball trailer where these things are not hyped up, but also borrows footage from scenes added to the edited version of said film from the series? It's certainly worth pointing out and speculating, espicially with so little idea of what the heck is going on.

Ishtar

According to Daizex, FUNimation has pushed back the release to December. Perhaps an uncut redub with the current FUNimation voice actors really is being planned now, hence why the release is being pushed back. It would make sense that they may have realized that if they were to release movie one with the old edited Ocean Group dub, they would get backlash from the fans, especially if the DVD was only that edited dub with no Uncut Japanese version. There really is no excuse why FUNimation can't redub the movie. Even if they use Colleen Clinkenbeard as Goku, Monica Rial as Bulma and Bryan Massey as Oolong, I wouldn't mind as long as an uncut dub is produced.

Seems like they they've going to use Kai's cast for the film (sans narrator):

FUNimation Entertainment wrote:
"Dragon Ball - Movie 1 - Curse of the Blood Rubies (Available Dec. 28, 2010) is
is uncut and remastered. Yes, there will be a new dub and new cast:

Cast
GOKU Colleen Clinkenbeard
BULMA Monica Rial
OOLONG Bryan Massey
PANSY Cherami Leigh
ROSHI Mike McFarland
YAMCHA Christopher R. Sabat
GURUMES Jeremy Inman
PASTA Kate Oxley
PUAR Brina Palencia
BONGO Jonathan Brooks
SHENRON Christopher R. Sabat
NARRATOR John Swasey"

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Has anyone seen PSI Cops last night?

(cricket noises)

Yeah, I still can't believe that was a thing.
Paramount and Skydance have officially merged. Does this mean that Brian Robbins got the boot?
Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes

Featured Posts