Dragon Tales: the forgotten hit cartoon from PBS

Dr.Pepper

Staff member
Holy moly, there's a Facebook group for Dragon Tales that has over 20,000 members...
This doesn’t really surprise me. I know of more than a few people who are a bit younger than me who said they watched the show as kids (I was like 10 when it premiered so it was after my time). I think the main reason why it doesn’t come up as much as other shows from that era is that it’s for a younger audience. In my experience at least, people seem to be more nostalgic over what they watched when they were grade school aged, not when they were three.

CassieTheDragon

Man, I love Dragon Tales! Though, it's definitely nowhere near forgotten. It was reran on PBS stations and PBS Kids Sprout until 2010 (unfortunately due to losing broadcast rights)

Also, it was available to stream on Netflix until 2016. Sesame Workshop had a falling with them due to the HBO deal, never understood why Dragon Tales was never on Max. Although, it is on Prime Video, so there might be some sort of exclusive deal there.
I've always considered it forgotten, at least compared to the PBS cartoons surrounding it. Like, it was just as popular as The Magic School Bus, Clifford and even Arthur back in 2002; nowadays all three of those are far more talked about than Dragon Tales. Which is, again, quite the fall from how popular it was in the 2000s.

CassieTheDragon

This doesn’t really surprise me. I know of more than a few people who are a bit younger than me who said they watched the show as kids (I was like 10 when it premiered so it was after my time). I think the main reason why it doesn’t come up as much as other shows from that era is that it’s for a younger audience. In my experience at least, people seem to be more nostalgic over what they watched when they were grade school aged, not when they were three.
I feel like people born after 1991 are far more nostalgic for Dragon Tales than people born in/before '91. They were just young enough to enjoy it I feel.

CassieTheDragon

Man, I love Dragon Tales! Though, it's definitely nowhere near forgotten. It was reran on PBS stations and PBS Kids Sprout until 2010 (unfortunately due to losing broadcast rights)

Also, it was available to stream on Netflix until 2016. Sesame Workshop had a falling with them due to the HBO deal, never understood why Dragon Tales was never on Max. Although, it is on Prime Video, so there might be some sort of exclusive deal there.
Not on Prime anymore, but it is on The Roku Channel. Granted, I doubt any Gen Alpha kids will ever be exposed to it, unfortunately.

CassieTheDragon

I'm kind of surprised there hasn't been at least some sort of continuation of Dragon Tales in any form. It seems like every single other big PBS cartoon (or PBS show in general) from the same period as Dragon Tales has come back in some way.

Shiloh Otter

Anxiety in the house
I'm kind of surprised there hasn't been at least some sort of continuation of Dragon Tales in any form. It seems like every single other big PBS cartoon (or PBS show in general) from the same period as Dragon Tales has come back in some way.
Sony owns it, so not very likely to happen.

aegisrawks

To be honest I dont want one, if there was it would have to be animated in low budget flash, which would be so heartbreaking to see. Dragon Tales had such great wamr animation.

Since Sony co-produced the show with Sesame, they own the rights

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The first South Park movie is 25 years old today.
New profile pic: Zadie from Work It Out Wombats!
The CSC Channels prior to 2017 were actually amazing. A shame it was all thrown under the bus.
Lesson learned. Never talk to anyone ever.

Featured Posts