E3 is cancelled, and OFFICIALLY dead. (UPDATE)

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member

Light Lucario

Staff member
Personally, I don't really see much of a point to reinventing E3 for 2025. Putting the announcements for any new games and products through their own online events works. It's a quick and easy way to build up hype, especially for any of their new popular titles. Having a big in person event to create fanfare isn't nothing, but I don't know if it's really worth trying to reinvent E3 by this point either.

Mandouga

Just a moment, everyone. The ESA never said they were canceling next year’s E3, just that they wouldn’t be holding it at the Los Angeles Convention Center. They also split up with up with Reedpop.

This is according to this article.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SNS

Personally, I don't really see much of a point to reinventing E3 for 2025. Putting the announcements for any new games and products through their own online events works. It's a quick and easy way to build up hype, especially for any of their new popular titles. Having a big in person event to create fanfare isn't nothing, but I don't know if it's really worth trying to reinvent E3 by this point either.

It really makes no sense why America can't have E3 while stuff like the Tokyo Game Show and Gamescom continue around the world. Ok, you can say the former is because it's Japan and video games are even bigger there but Gamescom is in Germany. Surely if Germany can have something like that every year then the USA can?

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
It really makes no sense why America can't have E3 while stuff like the Tokyo Game Show and Gamescom continue around the world. Ok, you can say the former is because it's Japan and video games are even bigger there but Gamescom is in Germany. Surely if Germany can have something like that every year then the USA can?

When Nintendo, Playstation and Xbox all revealed they didn't want to participate this year in "E3", it collapsed. They're going to try again next year, but if it doesn't resume in the next 2 years, yeah....it's dead.

I think "Summer Gamesfest" has kind of taken it's place.

Asa

We still have PAX, EVO, Tokyo Game Show, Gamescon and the Game Awards to look forward to each year.

I only went to three E3s between 2017 and 2019.

Summer Game Fest isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. What if that event starts coming to the Los Angeles Convention Center, given how it took place at the YouTube Theater this year?

Light Lucario

Staff member
I'm not too surprised. As much as people enjoy E3, it just feels kind of unnecessary to have a big event like it nowadays. It's probably easier for companies to have something like a Nintendo Direct to drop some trailers. It's a quick way to create hype online. Not that E3 didn't create hype online, but focusing on online events is probably an easier way to create hype for their newest games.

Light Lucario

Staff member
It's possible that COVID accelerated the end of E3 since there were years where they had to skip it, but when people get excited over just the announcement of the next Nintendo Direct or Sony's State of Play, it kind of makes the it feel like this was inevitably going to happen.

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
I feel E3's biggest problem was rarely being open to the public--it was mostly a convention for industry insiders, while anything "public" was downgraded and limited. I feel they were on the right track when they at least made E3 a digital event in 2021, but cancelling the next two years just felt like a baffling decision to me.

In any case, we have more public gaming conventions like PAX, MAGFest, TooManyGames, etc. A closed-off event just doesn't make sense in this day and age. It's a shame E3 didn't adapt to the newer generation of conventions, because it bit them big time.

R.I.P. E3

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
I'm not really surprised about the announcement given the COVID-related cancellations as well as ReedPop's departure and several video game companies pulling out from this year's event that led to it being cancelled.

Silverstar

Strong to th' Finnich
I'm not a gamer myself, but as someone who knows gamers and watches a fair amount of gaming videos, I liked E3 as a concept (I've never been to a convention but would like to one day). Based on what I saw and read about it, it seemed to be getting too big and bloated for its' own good, nowadays it's just easier to just drop those kinds of big announcements online.

Still, it's been so ingrained into pop culture that it'll be hard to imagine a world without E3.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Has anyone seen PSI Cops last night?

(cricket noises)

Yeah, I still can't believe that was a thing.
Paramount and Skydance have officially merged. Does this mean that Brian Robbins got the boot?
Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes

Featured Posts