Favorite Warner Bros. Cartoons Short by Each Director

awinger24

1,000 Looney Tunes shorts in the span of 39 years is quite massive to choose from.

What are some of your favorite Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies shorts by director?

Tex Avery, Bob Clampett, Frank Tashlin, Arthur Davis, Norman McCabe, Chuck Jones, Friz Freleng and Robert McKimson are some iconic directors I can think of. Are there any wild card picks?

Last edited:

Mejo

Four Legged Zoo
Chuck Jones - Duck Amuck, Chow Hound, Rabbit of Seville, Robin Hood Daffy, Cheese Chasers, The Dover Boys, For Scent-Imental Reasons, Feed the Kitty, Most of his Roadrunners, Scaredy Cat, The Hunting Trilogy, Duck Dodgers, Daffy Dilly, Ali Baba Bunny, Operation Rabbit, One Froggy Evening, Rabbit Hood, The Scarlet Pumpernickel

Friz Freleng - Show Biz Bugs, Bugs Bunny Rides Again, Baseball Bugs, Birds Anonymous, Speedy Gonzales, Racketeer Rabbit, Back Alley Oproar, Rhapsody in Rivets, Rhapsody Rabbit, Little Red Riding Rabbit, Three Little Bops

Robert Mckimson - Rebel Rabbit, Daffy Doodles, Ducking the Devil, Walky Talky Hawky, The Hole Idea, Hop Look and Listen, Hilbilly Hare, What’s Up Doc

Bob Clampett - Coal Black and the Sebben Dwarfs, Porky in Wackyland, A Tale of Two Kitties, Great Piggy Bank Robbery, The Big Snooze, The Daffy Doc, Tortoise Wins by a Hare

Tex Avery - Daffy Duck and Egghead, I Love to Singa, A Wild Hare, Tortoise Beats Hare, Daffy Duck in Hollywood, Page Miss Glory,

Frank Tashlin - Porky Pig’s Feat, Puss n’ Booty, Nasty Quacks, Tale of Two Mice, Porky’s Romance, Behind the Meatball, You’re an Education

Arthur Davis - What Makes Daffy Duck, Dough Ray Me-Ow, Bowery Bugs, Two Gophers From Texas, Odor of the Day

Norman McCabe - The Ducktators (wish I could name more :confused:)

Harman and Ising - You Don’t Know What You’re Doing, Bosko in Person, Bosko’s Picture Show, Shuffle off to Buffalo, Ride Em Bosko

Jack King - Buddy the Detective, Buddy the Gee Man, A Cartoonist’s Nightmare

awinger24

Chuck Jones - Duck Amuck, Chow Hound, Rabbit of Seville, Robin Hood Daffy, Cheese Chasers, The Dover Boys, For Scent-Imental Reasons, Feed the Kitty, Most of his Roadrunners, Scaredy Cat, The Hunting Trilogy, Duck Dodgers, Daffy Dilly, Ali Baba Bunny, Operation Rabbit, One Froggy Evening, Rabbit Hood, The Scarlet Pumpernickel

Friz Freleng - Show Biz Bugs, Bugs Bunny Rides Again, Baseball Bugs, Birds Anonymous, Speedy Gonzales, Racketeer Rabbit, Back Alley Oproar, Rhapsody in Rivets, Rhapsody Rabbit, Little Red Riding Rabbit, Three Little Bops

Robert Mckimson - Rebel Rabbit, Daffy Doodles, Ducking the Devil, Walky Talky Hawky, The Hole Idea, Hop Look and Listen, Hilbilly Hare, What’s Up Doc

Bob Clampett - Coal Black and the Sebben Dwarfs, Porky in Wackyland, A Tale of Two Kitties, Great Piggy Bank Robbery, The Big Snooze, The Daffy Doc, Tortoise Wins by a Hare

Tex Avery - Daffy Duck and Egghead, I Love to Singa, A Wild Hare, Tortoise Beats Hare, Daffy Duck in Hollywood, Page Miss Glory,

Frank Tashlin - Porky Pig’s Feat, Puss n’ Booty, Nasty Quacks, Tale of Two Mice, Porky’s Romance, Behind the Meatball, You’re an Education

Arthur Davis - What Makes Daffy Duck, Dough Ray Me-Ow, Bowery Bugs, Two Gophers From Texas, Odor of the Day

Norman McCabe - The Ducktators (wish I could name more :confused:)

Harman and Ising - You Don’t Know What You’re Doing, Bosko in Person, Bosko’s Picture Show, Shuffle off to Buffalo, Ride Em Bosko

Jack King - Buddy the Detective, Buddy the Gee Man, A Cartoonist’s Nightmare
Good picks.

PinkieLopBun

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Just a reminder we don't allow list threads. I'm not going to make you guys explain every choice, but please try to explain at least some of them.

Mejo

Four Legged Zoo
Just a reminder we don't allow list threads. I'm not going to make you guys explain every choice, but please try to explain at least some of them.
Oh…ok. I’m sorry. I’ll just whittle it down to one cartoon per director then. It’s just that there are so many of those toons I like and so few I dislike.

Chuck Jones - Duck Amuck
If I had to make a list of the best Golden Age shorts ever made or the greatest Looney Tunes shorts, this would be number 1. Absolutely no contest. There’s not a single joke in this whole cartoon that’s not amazing, ingenious and wonderful.

Friz Freleng - Probably Baseball Bugs
It’s a near perfect film and is hilarious.

Robert Mckimson - Rebel Rabbit
Bugs Bunny becomes a terroist. Nuff said. Damn hilarious.

Bob Clampett - A Tale of Two Kitties
I have probably seen this one over 20 times and it never gets old.

Tex Avery - Daffy Duck and Egghead
Another cartoon I’ve seen over 20 times. Damn great.

Arthur Davis - Probably a tie between Dough Ray Me-Ow and Two Gophers From Texas
Both are wonderful and great cartoons.

Norm McCabe - The Ducktators
Great wartime toon. Really wish McCabe’s other cartoons were on par with this one.

Frank Tashlin - Porky Pig’s Feat
Wonderful cartoon with an amazing ending.

Harman and Ising - You Don’t Know What You’re Doin’
The climax is really what sells this whole toon for me. Good old B/W fun.

Jack King - A Cartoonist’s Nightmare
A precursor to Duck Amuck. That’s all you need to know.

Classic Speedy

Boogie oogie oogie
Staff member
Reporter
No love for Ben Hardaway/Cal Dalton? My favorite of that duo's was Porky the Gob. The commander is hilarious.

"BATTEN DOWN THE HATCHES!" "Sir, the hatches are battened down!" "WELL BATTEN 'EM DOWN AGAIN! I'll show those hatches!"
"Last one in the mess hall's a SOFTY!"
"Companeeeeeeeeeeeeee.... HALT!"

Mejo

Four Legged Zoo
No love for Ben Hardaway/Cal Dalton?
I guess they weren’t mentioned at all because 1. They didn’t make many toons and 2. A lot of their shorts are just plain mid. Though if I had to pick a favorite, it would probably be Bars and Stripes Forever.

Going by Cal Dalton director credits (including those without Ben) though, my favorite is Katnip Kollage. It’s more like Warner’s live action shorts around that time than their cartoons but it has a great song and a fine climax.

Spotlight

Members online

No members online now.

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

What happened to all our posts from yesterday?
Ok, this was all related to the latest server migration. In addition to not being able to post, I can't log out either well by deleting cookies you can.
Yojimbo wrote on Zedd's profile.
can not post, get this error message (but can post on people's profiles and post status updates)
Forum is back but I (and I assume everyone) can not make a post.
I would love to know what anime are popular in Serbia

Featured Posts