Favourite Hulk Design?

Stu

Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Hey,

Much like we did with Iron Man a few weeks ago, I thought it'd be cool to see what everyone's favourite Hulk design was. He's appeared in a few of his own shows and has giest starred in various other Marvel cartoons, so there's a lot to pick from. Take a look;

18.jpg

Spider-Man And His Amazing Friends

Cavegirl03.jpg

The Incredible Hulk 1983

15.jpg

Fantastic Four 1995

05.jpg

Iron Man 1995

06.jpg

The Incredible Hulk 1996 - Green Hulk

19.jpg

The Incredible Hulk 1996 - Grey Hulk

18.jpg

The Ultimate Avengers

Apologies for the lack of the 60's image, I couldn't find one online. Which one do you like most? What do you think of the rest?

ifthismeansevos

It's been a while.
You forget the 60's Hulk...And He have my vote.
I loved that stupid song Doc Bruce Banner...There's no moster as sweater and lovable as ever loved Hulk HULK HULK!

Wonderwall

Staff member
I liked the UA design but I also really dig the Fantastic Four design, I always liked when he had sort of that flat top hair as I first saw him look like that.

Marc

Friend from another star?
I really loved the shade of gray/green from the Ultimate Avengers toon, but my favorite design has to be the 1983 version. I really enjoyed that cartoon growing up, and it was a great complement to the live action show at the time. That cartoon Hulk most resembled the Sal Buscema comic verison I grew up with, plus his yellow eyes were almost as scary as Bixby/Ferrigno's.

- Marc

Jon T

Friendless Spidey
The 'flat-top' look can work sometimes in the comics; after all, it was Jack Kirby's original design for the character. But I didn't particularly like the take of that look in the FF series, it just seemed inherently 'off' to me.

My favorite version would unsurprisingly have to be the 1982 version, closely followed by the 1981 and 1996 designs. Together those are the most like the classic Hulk look from the 1970s and early 1980s comics (and still how the general public perceives the Hulk).

I rate the 1982 Hulk design the highest since not only did the character designer follow the contemporary comics, they also added to it by making the Hulk's eyes even more monstrous; it was all quite effective when coupled with Bob Holt's unforgettable tones.

Spider-Man

For me it's a toss-up between the version from the 1990s series and the Ultimate Avengers version. I like them all but those are the two I prefer over the rest. It's pretty interesting to see how the designs have changed over time. There are some major differences between each character design. It's interesting to see how consistent yet different they all look.

The Hulk

I have to go with the 60's Hulk first and then the 80's version. Nothing beats Kirby and you just gotta love the yellow eyes!!:)

Spider-Friends

www.spider-friends.com
The Hulk said:
I have to go with the 60's Hulk first and then the 80's version. Nothing beats Kirby and you just gotta love the yellow eyes!!:)
Do our opinions really matter since The Hulk himself has spoken up? Considering your speech patterns, I never thought your typing skills would be so good, Hulk. :)

I have to say the 82 version then Kirby's (60's). The Amazing Friends version really suffers from the solid green hair and lack of shading. Otherwise, I'd probably prefer it since it is so "Romita-like".

Last edited by a moderator:

ShockDingo

Freelance voice actor & fulltime symbiote geek.
Ooooh hard to say, but the Ol' Hulk series(1982 I believe) really works for me since he has that savage look to him. :) I'm sort of tied on the FF, 90's and Ultimate though :sweat:

Stu

Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I thought the Spider-Man And His Amazing Friends design was pretty weak. The pink pants and green hair don't really make him look as much as a monster as he probably should've. I thought they miscast pretty badly too, but this is a visuals thread.

The 1983 version is much more like it, a truly fantastic design for a truly fantastic version of The Hulk! With the yellow eyes and hair, they had the scary monster look mastered. The booming sound effects everytime he walked and of course, the legendary booming voice of the late, great Bob Holt still makes this the very best version of the Hulk anywhere, in my opinion. Such a fantastic show...

I thought the Fantastic Four design looked a little silly, to be honest. The face makes him look like a child, and the hair looked stupid. Ron Pearlman didn't really help matters, as his Hulk voice is simply... not very Hulkish, in my opinion. He's had some great performances in a vast majority of other roles - this just isn't one of them.

Iron Man offered a great improvement, in an almost Mark Bagley esquire design. The cream pants didn't really fit, but they got the face down to a T. No real complaints here...

The 1996 Green version looked more like he was pouting than being angry a lot of the time, but it the rest of it looked fine. I never really had too much trouble with this shows animation, unlike others, but at times I often thought Hulk looked a little too big. I don't really like the Grey Hulk design (or the grey Hulk character/voice, but that goes without saying)

Ultimate Avengers once again gave The Hulk a great presence, which hadn't been seen onscreen in some 13 plus years and he looked like a threat truly worthy of The Avengers best efforts. There was some great fun to be had in his throwdowns with Iron Man and Thor and he looked menacing - you wouldn't want to fight this guy! The bright green eyes were a little weird, but this was a solid Hulk design, no doubt about it.

Overall though, I'd still go with the 1983 version, closely followed by The Ultimate Avengers interpretation.

The Hulk

I have to say that I hated the Iron man design. Anything that resembles the "Professor" Hulk from the 90's suck in my opinon!! God, I hated Peter David's weak Hulk stuff that was in the comics at the time. And to tell you the truth, I didn't mind the Spidey and his Amazing Friends Hulk because I loved it when I was a kid. "Only one Hulk, Hulk smash phoney Hulk!!!" The Hulk in the 90's F.F. cartoon looked okay at best but his voice was pretty weak. I don't mind it too much because I loved the episode, the Hulk nearly killing the Thing was grrrreat!!! The 90's Hulk was okay, I liked the first season but I always thought that the Hulk was a little too small. He should've been bigger, taller and much more massive. The Ultimate Avengers Hulk was great, big, tall, massive, and full of rage!! I just wanted him green (at least he acted more green than gray). But still, the 60's and 80's Hulk are the best hands down. God, it was great to see the Hulk in a cartoon. Anyone have a picture of the 60's Hulk so this thread can be complete?

Spider-Man

The Hulk said:
The 90's Hulk was okay, I liked the first season but I always thought that the Hulk was a little too small. He should've been bigger, taller and much more massive. The Ultimate Avengers Hulk was great, big, tall, massive, and full of rage!! I just wanted him green (at least he acted more green than gray).
I thought the 90s version was well done overall. I thought they gave his character a bit of humanity through his voice. He wasn't overbearing or over the top, but he worked well. There were some great vocal performances from the actors who played the Hulk. I wish I could remember the 80s stuff and I can barely remember the 1960s cartoon. Teletoon used to play it every night with the 1960s Spider-Man. But the Hulk in the Ultimate Avengers was just great I thought. Great vocal work and a awesome design.

Xurk

The Hulk said:
Anyone have a picture of the 60's Hulk so this thread can be complete?
I went a-searching, and found images on The Hulk Library, for all things Hulk ;)

They have a close-up mugshot of him from the 1966 show:
hulk-cartoon-1-2.gif

And they have several screen-captures from the opening sequence, here is a full-body shot:
intro-1-12.jpg

For more, visit the site :)

I hope I helped out!

The Hulk

Great job Xurk!!! The top is Jack Kirby and bottom pic is from Steve Ditko. I will have to say that this Hulk was the best!!! A close second was the 80's Hulk, great voice and scream!!!!:D

JLU Dude

I have to say I liked the Ultimate Avengers design, though I wish they'd chosen a more green color (The green-grayish shade used does come off as grey if your TV/montior's setting are just right). I also liked the FF design and the 90s toon designs, but the Ultimate one is my favorite. The others are kinda "meh" to me.

Spider-Man

I like that Ultimate Avengers didn't go overboard on the green. I like that they gave him grey skin that has a slight green tint to it. I actually think that looks great. I was hoping they wouldn't make him really bright green as some of the earlier cartoons have done. While I love the Green Hulk look sometimes the Grey can look a bit better when handled well.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The CSC Channels prior to 2017 were actually amazing. A shame it was all thrown under the bus.
Lesson learned. Never talk to anyone ever.
Somebody please give me a show that I won't ever regret watching.
Samurai Champloo, $5 on Apple TV. I know the series is 20 years old which is, like, 100 years in anime world, but definitely worth the buy!
I now genuinely want to see Steve Blum voice Kermit in something official. He is spot on.

Featured Posts