"Gargoyles (Live-Action Disney+ Series)" Pre-Release News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Reports are coming that a live-action Gargoyles series is in the works. Details below:

"Almost 30 years after first appearing as an animated television series, Gargoyles is taking flight once more, this time in live-action.

Two major names in the creature feature business, Gary Dauberman and James Wan’s Atomic Monster banner, known for their collaborations on the hit Annabelle horror movies, have teamed up to remake the 1990s cartoon as a live-action series for Disney+.

Dauberman will write, executive produce and showrun the series with Atomic Monster, the company run by Wan and Michael Clear, joining the executive producing ranks."

A Gargoyles live-action series? Discuss this news here!

Note: Thread updated and modified from original version to become official discussion thread.

harry580

Here are some initial details on the reboot from THR.

"Almost 30 years after first appearing as an animated television series, Gargoyles is taking flight once more, this time in live-action.

Two major names in the creature feature business, Gary Dauberman and James Wan’s Atomic Monster banner, known for their collaborations on the hit Annabelle horror movies, have teamed up to remake the 1990s cartoon as a live-action series for Disney+.

Dauberman will write, executive produce and showrun the series with Atomic Monster, the company run by Wan and Michael Clear, joining the executive producing ranks."

Full article below.

Spideyzilla

Staff member
I'm skeptical if they can really pull this off.

Greg Weisman has to be involved.
Based on what THR is saying it doesn’t sound like he is, and that would be an enormous mistake.

I can’t say I’m overly shocked this is happening. Disney is reviving whatever old IPs they have lying around, and they’ve been testing the waters with the comics. We’ll see if they can stick the landing.

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
I don't think it would've been hard to keep Weisman around in a consulting role, at least. Still, we'll see if this project goes anywhere. I will say I'm disappointed Disney didn't accept Jordan Peele's offer to direct a movie. I feel like he could've done something interesting with it and the fact that he approached them makes me believe he's a genuine fan.

And if nothing else, I hope this live action version gives more visibility to the original series and other stuff like the NECA figures and the ongoing comic book continuation (and spin-offs).

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
This better have the original voices of the gargoyles from the cartoon, especially Keith David as Goliath!

zoombie

Okay we will see what happens here. If this happens and is successful, maybe we will finally get that half live action (for the human characters) Bonkers remake.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Even with Disney's live action remakes in mind, I didn't think that they'd go for something like Gargoyles. I think that the idea is potentially interesting. Starting off fresh can make it easier to attract new fans, as well as long time fans of the series. I don't know how well the Gargoyles themselves can translate well into live action, especially when it would be CGI with whatever budget streaming shows tend to have too. The fact that Weisman is seemingly not involved, if his silence on the project is any indication, is a huge red flag though. I never saw the Goliath Chronicles, but I saw most of the first two seasons on reruns back in the day on Disney Channel. The writing and voice acting were so solid. He isn't the only reason why the series is held in such high regards, but he is a big factor at least. How well the series can do without him is questionable with that in mind.

If nothing else, I do see this as a potentially good sign in that Disney is at least willing to do something with the property more than just the comics. I think that the vast majority of fans would have preferred an animated continuation or maybe adaptions of the comics set after season two, but it's possible that if the series does well enough for Disney that they'll do something more with it down the road too. I might be too optimistic about that, but it's still a nice thought at least.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Almost forgot to listen to this before the day was up.
Viper wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
Happy 4th of July, Light Lucario. I really hope you get to enjoy the fireworks tonight. Have a wonderful evening.
BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.

Featured Posts