"Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire (Afterlife Sequel)" News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Comments from Dan Aykroyd
"When we marry the old lore and some of the traditions with these four spectacular new performances, you get a blend-in service of a really neat New York story that gives us faith in carrying on with the Ghostbusters concept," he told Newsweek.

It's a concept that will be tested again when Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire releases in March of next year. "We've never done this to Manhattan before," Aykroyd teases of the project. He promises the film's opening will be especially exciting to viewers.

"There's a historical base to it that's quite beautiful," he said. "We took full advantage of CGI technology but we also, where we could, kept old-school effects alive." He said the new film confronts themes like loss, betrayal, and forgiveness even deeper and "more emotionally" than the other Ghostbusters movies we've seen. "All that, along with some great scares and effects," he said. "It's really going to work."

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Akroyd could pretty much write something weird if you pick his mind. Very knowledgeable in the supernatural, more so than your regular screenwriter for hire.
He's got a new show on the History Channel that premiered tonight, The Unbelievable. Something along the lines of his 90s show Psi-Factor.

the greenman

What I really find kinda sad, is that people are comparing this a Real Ghostbusters episode (without even seeing it yet). I think the wait has been so long, there really isn't anything to compare with other than that since it was a proper follow up even being a cartoon.

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
What I really find kinda sad, is that people are comparing this a Real Ghostbusters episode (without even seeing it yet). I think the wait has been so long, there really isn't anything to compare with other than that since it was a proper follow up even being a cartoon.
12/2: Kumail Nanjiani did comment the movie takes inspiration from The Real Ghostbusters so that could what you're seeing?

12/4: Additional filming has started in Atlanta.

12/6: Towards the end of today's Tested video, a new tier was revealed for Hasbro's Haslab crowdfunding for a P.K.E. Meter and Trap set which is a patch based on a new division introduced in this movie: the Ghostbusters Engineer Corps. I'd guess probably the division James Acaster's character is in and explains the gear logo on his jacket in the past trailer.

12/11: New standee confirms Slimer will return and reveals a new ghost.

12/15: Details on Issue #2 of the tie-comic. Comes out April 24.

Last edited:

19MagiswordLane

Anime Superhero's Crooner of Carnage, babe!
A new poster had been dropped:
1jwjcrkrc97c1.jpeg

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
A new poster had been dropped
12/19: Three posters actually. Nice callback to Afterlife with their backs to us. I'd love to see one more poster with the new cast homaging the Ghostbusters II poster.

12/21: Empire #432, on sale today, has a 2 page feature on the movie. Aside what was already revealed by Empire on Monday, Kenan is also quote, "We see them step up to the challenge of ghostbusting as a family a completely new context and on a much larger canvas. In ways big and small, the new setting drives the story and our characters" and explains how the Death Chill "is the way our villain is able to devastate the world. It's a power that is harnessed by the thermodynamic property of the fear we all feel when confronted by the unknown and the terrifying... but amped-up and channelled into a weapon in away we haven't seem in Ghostbusters before." The article also mentions the movie takes place "a year or two after the events of Afterlife" and has a still of Paul Rudd, Carrie Coon, Mckenna Grace, and Finn Wolfhard in flightsuits in poses in a room about to film a scene

Toy lines have started showing up on shelves prematurely. It does spoil at least one new ghost that appears in the movie and a new piece of equipment for Ecto-1. Here's a breakdown:

12/26: Next line of Hasbro toys launch January 14, 9 pm Eastern. "When there’s a new toy launch coming, who are ya gonna call? Nobody, we’ll call you! Sign up for a reminder, and we’ll email you so you can see the latest and greatest from an exciting sequel."

12/28: Austin Ghostbusters fan group at Dragon's Lair saw what looks like a new wave of Hasbro Fright Features figures for Gary, Callie, Phoebe, and Trevor each with a ghost and a Slimer.

Pics here, here, here, here, and here

1/1: Target has listings for more kid's line toys: Track and Trap Ecto-1 and Zap and Blast Proton Blaster.
New Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire Ecto-1 and Proton Blaster toys get revealed - Ghostbusters News

Ghostbusters Track and Trap Ecto-1 Toy Vehicle with Slimer Figure

Ghostbusters Zap and Blast Proton Toy Blaster

1/4: Kenner Fright Features re-ssiues have shown up on shelves at a Target in Union, New Jersey.

The Fright Features Phoebe, Trevor, Callie, and Zap and Blast Proton blaster are on Amazon for $10 and 29

Funko first looks spoil name of the big bad, a new ghost, and a Macguffin.

Last edited:

19MagiswordLane

Sony has pushed up the release date by one week; now coming out March 22nd.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
1/12: Empire Magazine may take part in releasing a new trailer today 12 pm Eastern/9 am Western/5 pm GMT.

EDIT: Just cover reveals for EMPIRE March issue and a still of Winston and Peter and some quotes offering new tidbits. First look at Janine in a flightsuit, drone trap, Ray is being sidelined to an advisor role, Indus valley.

1/13: Another still released in USA Today's movie previews article, it's a shot of the basement.

1/15: Another still and quotes released by EMPIRE (the March issue releases on Thursday)

A second article and still released. Patton Oswalt's character is named Dr. Hubert Wartzki, Kumail Nanjiani's is Nadeem Razmaadi and James Acaster plays Lars Pinfield, "a man responsible for some of the fresh tech being funded by Ernie Hudson’s Winston" and "really falls in line with the Egon Spengler ‘type’". Ray and Podcast are buddies, Ray’s a mentor to him, and he’s renting Ray’s basement to shoot an Instagram series called ‘Repossessed’, where people bring in objects they think are haunted. Phoebe’s in her element...She’s now ghostbusting on a totally different scale to what she was doing in Oklahoma.”

1/16: Yet another Empire article, the flying serpent entity is named Sewer Dragon, some more quotes about taking influence from The Real Ghostbusters plus a bit of John Hughes and Wes Anderson, confirms the new team lives in the Firehouse, and basically confirms 3 years pass between Afterlife and Frozen Empire.

1/18: The rest of the stills from Empire. (one is a first look at Slimer)

1/25: Back in Town #3 prequel comic set for May 29.

1/28: Preview of tomorrow's trailer.

New trailer releases tomorrow, Monday, at 9 am Eastern / 6 am Pacific.

Last edited:

Antiyonder

Amalgam Universe Overlord
Staff member
So the movie could very well be good, but if we don't get a cameo from Christopher Lloyd declaring "I was frozen today!", then 0/10.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
From the front page of AnimeSuperhero.com:

"Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire Unthaws Some Leftovers"​

gbfe.jpg

"Sony has released another trailer for Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire. This time around, everyone is back: Venkman, Zeddmore, Janine, Slimer, Librarian Ghost, Walter Peck, everyone. In fact, though we’re sure Egon’s relatives get some screentime, they get a lot less attention in THIS marketing campaign. There’s probably a reason.

I finally got around to seeing Ghostbusters Afterlife, the movie this is a sequel to, and….I was not impressed. The new characters did not work for me, and weren’t nearly as fun to follow. I like Ghostbusters, and I like The Goonies, but maybe they don’t blend together quite as easily as Sony hoped they would. The only time I enjoyed myself was when the Original Guys appeared and started quipping just like they used to. This new movie seems to have taken that into account….and then some!"

Read the full article here.

Anyone up here pumped up for a villain that's not Gozer the Gozerian?!?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
2/1/24: So far ICEE and Cheetos have changed their social media to FE's Death Chill icicles and/or reshared the trailer so we look at some promo tie-in offerings from them.

"New Ghost" featurette posted.

2/22: One month to go.

4 more posters released.

Fandango lists the run time as 1 hour and 49 minutes.

Back in Town #4 prequel comic set for June 26.

Back in Town TPB comes out on October 29.

2/23: 4 new TV spots with plenty of new footage and a few reveals.

2/27: Ticket sales start on Thursday.

Total Film will have a feature on the movie. The issue goes on sale Friday.

2/28: A lot of TV spots from Sony's international Youtubes have new footage so depending on how spoiler adverse you are they're there like Sony Canada's playlist for Frozen Empire. I think it's about that point where I won't post anymore because they do show stuff that I think should be saved for actually when you watch the movie.

2/29: On second thought, Legends featurette posted.

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
3/5: Adam Savage's Tested began releasing its set visit videos. Today, he meets with SFX technicians Doug McCarthy and Brett Ellis about four kinds of ectoplasm they made as well as the practical slime rig worn by Finn Wolfhard.

3/6: Clip #1 released.

Last edited:

BigFatHairyDeal

Defender of the Universe
Saw the trailer in the theater last weekend. LOL'd when I saw William Atherton.

One fan speculated that Ghostbusters 2 is being ignored, which would make sense if Peck is still making claims that nobody's ever witnessed a real ghost busting. As someone with a soft spot for the second film, I'd be disappointed that it's getting the 2016 GB treatment...

Pooky

Staff member
They did reference Ray's occult shop from II in Afterlife, but otherwise it didn't seem to match up.

The "no witnesses" thing didn't make sense in II, it didn't make sense in the Extreme cartoon, and it doesn't make sense in this new films. Not sure why they keep going back to it.

19MagiswordLane

There's a post on Reddit that's basically wondering the same thing too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Has anyone seen PSI Cops last night?

(cricket noises)

Yeah, I still can't believe that was a thing.
Paramount and Skydance have officially merged. Does this mean that Brian Robbins got the boot?
Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes

Featured Posts