Happy 20th Anniversary Venom (aka Eddie Brock)!

What is your opinion of the original Venom, Eddie Brock?

• A very good villain

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not bad, but I don't cheer for Venom that much. Carnage is better

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Miyamoto Musashi

Law Enforcer
By that logic he should be more out to get Reed Richards, for inventing all those sonic guns and cages.
Not to mention studying it, revealing its dark secret, sharing the thought and hurting and caging it. Now that you mentioned Richards involvement, the alien seem to have had a moment of stupidity/arrogance by not blocking Reeds proposal to test the suit from Peter's mind

Miyamoto Musashi

Law Enforcer
Happy Twenty Years Since The Fright Mj

April 20 years ago Venom first fully appeared in Peter & MJ's Chelsea apartment and gave Mary Jane the fright of her life:

MJ was done shopping for groceries and entered the apartment at the very time when Peter was getting home after he and Chance teamed up against some not super criminals, when MJ saw the black suit she thought he was only Peter in his black Spider-Man suit, all of a sudden he gave her his scary grinn and said:
"Hi Honey, I'm Home"
This is when his full figure was shown.

I loved his figure as it was done by Todd McFarlane, his Venom is the best ever to date (in comics of course)

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
I thought that was the point of the character. He was a guy who blamed other people for his own problems.

The female version may have been easier to sympathize with, but . . . I'll just admit it, sometimes I don't want to sympathize with the villians.

What makes Venom cool is not that he's some tragic character (because he's not), it's that he's a scary, psycho, S.O.B. Compared to Spidey's other enemies, who just look kind of silly, Venom just looks really frightening. He's like something out of a sci-fi horror movie. There's a reason why everyone who is not an old-school comic book fan likes Venom and that's it.

You can wish for "what might have been", but what was actually had its good points.
Bingo. What I don't get is, Joker is the most popular comic villain of all, and it's a similar deal with him. Yet no one complains about Joker.

There's no intended sympathy for Joker. There is no tragic backstory or hidden identifiable motivation that's supposed to make us sorry for him. He's just a creepy nut. And it works.

Don't get me wrong, depth is nice, but it's worth noting the most popular bad guys have none.

GregX

Don't get me wrong, depth is nice, but it's worth noting the most popular bad guys have none.

Magneto; Dr. Doom; Norman Bates; Demona; David Xanatos; Two-Face; Lord Voldemort; Sephiroth; Darth Vader; Tony Soprano; Norman Osborn;

... I can go on, all of them have depth (some more than others).

And as for Venom... Spidey has plenty of villains without much depth, we're talking about one of the big three here.

Ed Liu

Frog of Thunder
Staff member
Reporter
There's no intended sympathy for Joker. There is no tragic backstory or hidden identifiable motivation that's supposed to make us sorry for him. He's just a creepy nut. And it works.

I think The Killing Joke would be a pretty big counterargument to this statement. Ultimately, as Batman points out at the end of the story, it's not like the Joker has no responsibility for the direction his life took or for his actions, but there was enough hardship not of his own making that pushed him to that point in the first place.

-- Ed

ShockDingo

Freelance voice actor & fulltime symbiote geek.
Happy battle-anniversary and belated first appearance anniversary Brock!
I'm a huuuuge Venom geek and I love the original Brock + symbiote combo. I didn't like the suit jumping to Gargan, but I'm liking what's being done in Thunderbolts because of the spectacular writing being showcased there. With the return of Brock in an upcoming arc, I'm hoping that he gets a makeover in terms of story to give him a boost. :)

Anwar

Lord of the Vindaloovians
I think Harry would have been a better choice for Micheline's "Venom" character. It would also have distinguished him more from Norman.

Plus, Harry has always been the most "Anti-Peter Parker" of all Spidey chars in EVERY version of the Spidey story. Making him Venom brings it all full circle.

Spotlight

Members online

No members online now.

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

What happened to all our posts from yesterday?
Ok, this was all related to the latest server migration. In addition to not being able to post, I can't log out either well by deleting cookies you can.
Yojimbo wrote on Zedd's profile.
can not post, get this error message (but can post on people's profiles and post status updates)
Forum is back but I (and I assume everyone) can not make a post.
I would love to know what anime are popular in Serbia

Featured Posts