Happy 30th Anniversary, Sailor Moon Talkback SPOILERS

Viper

I'll Never Forget You Two!
I don't see a thread for this yet so I'd like to start it up. Although Sailor Moon actually started in March of 1992, better late than never.

Anyway, it's still hard to believe it's been 30 years since one of the all-time best animes got started: Sailor Moon!!!

As a lot of you all know, it's about a 14-year-old school girl named Usagi Tsukino who one day meets a talking female cat named Luna who gives Usagi the ability to change into the pretty soldier named Sailor Moon to battle the forces of evil. Along the way, she meets the other Sailor Scouts who help her in her battles. Their names are:

1. Ami Mizuno: a genius school girl who becomes Sailor Mercury
2. Rei Hino: a mean school girl who runs a local shrine who becomes Sailor Mars
3. Makoto Kino: a tomboyish school girl who becomes Sailor Jupiter
4. Minako Aino: a school girl who is revealed as Sailor Venus, who is accompanied by a talking male cat named Artemis.
5. Chibiusa: a small girl who's also named Usagi who is sent from the future to find a silver crystal to protect The Future Moon Kingdom.
6. Haruka Tenoh: a teen school girl who is revealed as Sailor Uranus. (It's revealed that she chooses to wear guy's attire.)
7. Michiru Kaioh: a teen school girl who is revealed as Sailor Neptune.

I've known the series since it was shown here in America when it was first owned by DiC/Cookie Jar. Then, Viz Media was able to acquire the rights to show the series in it's true UNCUT form.

When I first saw it, I wasn't sure if I'd like it. Then, years later, I finally got to see the true UNCUT version and it was even better!

Oh, in 2014, they decided to do a more romantic reboot series titled Sailor Moon Crystal. It was good but I feel the original was a lot better because it had funnier dialogue & situations.

So, what are your thoughts on Sailor Moon? I hope you've all had a chance to see it.

Happy 30th Anniversary, Sailor Moon.

jaylop97

Staff member
I'm a year late, but my history with the anime was a wild one. Back when it was airing on Toonami during it's early run with the Canadian dubs I would occasionally watch episodes with my sister, although I never was *that* into Sailor Moon in that time. Then came December 2016 I saw a Ford commercial on Youtube one day on my way to CNA classes on the bus, and thought that commercial was so quirky yet caught my attention to what was an anime I had familiarity.

Then as I was simultaneously binging Yugioh GX on Hulu, I discovered Sailor Moon was available on Hulu, and remembering that one commercial from a couple months ago I gave it a watch and next thing I knew I had went through 20 episodes in 1 day. I was a freshman in college and I was watching episodes at my community college, on the bus and at home for months on end, I can't remember my episode watching habit, but I definitely remember reaching Season 2 around May of that year and Season 3 around August of that year, granted before that point I was watching the Viz dub and it was only available up to Season 2 so Season 3 onward was subbed, thanks to Hulu also having that. As time went on I made it to Season 4, but unfortunately as I got deeper into the anime I became disinterested with how monotonous and same old it was getting especially during Season 4, I then dropped the anime around Spring of 2018 and every now and then watched a few episodes from that point to 2022, mostly Season 1 ones.

Years later, in April 2023 I found out PlutoTV added a Sailor Moon channel, and when I found it, it was on Season 4 crazy enough, seeing it was there I decided why not give the series another go. In spite of my criticisms I wasn't detracted as much as I previously was, I in fact watched the season completely in roughly 1 day, along with Season 5. I even stayed up one night before work to have seen the finale, and I was thoroughly impressed with not only the anime but the fact I was able to come back to something I thought I was over with and being able to have seen it in as great light as half a decade earlier, I even rewatched the anime entirely over and over for a couple weeks on PlutoTV, it was so wonderful.

In short, I definitely had a crazy ride with various twists and turns with the 90s Sailor Moon anime, highs and lows aside I love it, and I even went to GalaxyCon in Austin to meet some other fans of Sailor Moon and Sailor Mars Viz VA Cristina Vee who I was so happy to meet because of how she voices my favorite Sailor Senshi. All in all, being a Sailor Moon fan is awesome and so is the series.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
30 years, huh? It somehow doesn’t feel that long since I was a kid watching it on Toonami. It’ll always have a special place in my heart.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I quit DA yesterday due to storage reasons and Core blocking me from everything.
The arts thread here will continue as usual. :)
The first South Park movie is 25 years old today.
New profile pic: Zadie from Work It Out Wombats!
The CSC Channels prior to 2017 were actually amazing. A shame it was all thrown under the bus.

Featured Posts