C&C - Sailor Moon (UNCUT) Talkback Thread [5/31-TBA]

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
The music is also going to take some getting used to. At one point they were using some jazzy music with a singer chanting occasionally “Sailor Moon!” while Sailor Moon is bleeding and crying. Older anime music can be comical because it’s often the same few songs played continually even in the most unfitting and random scenes. There was also some relaxing jazz music playing when the villains were starting to carry out their plan in an evil lair. It makes you realize why older dubs felt the need to replace music with what they felt would better fit the scene. Even seeing the intro in Japanese instead of English felt like a huge change, but at least the melody is similar unlike most dub theme songs.

It's been a while since I've seen the DiC dub but the music in that was pretty decent for the most part(I always liked the music they used during the episode title screen for example) but the issue with it was the same issue with other dubs from that time that changed the music and it was the lack of silence, especially during certain emotional scenes.

I always like SM's Japanese music, especially the transformation stuff.

I'm not sure if it's really the reason but I read somewhere before.

I believe DeMarco has mentioned that was the main reason why the show didn't come to Toonami back in the day. Too expensive to put so many digital bikini's like they did with Tenchi and Outlaw Star.

J'onn J'onzz

Best Male Member '08
I think there are just different cultural expectations on music. In most western movies during emotional movies you expect music playing to accentuate the moment. I recall there is a Ren and Stimpy episode which satirizes this as a manipulative tactic by Disney, but it’s also used in plenty of live action films. It’s easy to mock or denounce this as maudlin, but there is a case for composing music that compliments a scene.

As for Ranma, yes, Demarco has often said they wanted to air it on CN Toonami, but couldn’t due to content issues. I haven’t seen it in a few years but I am sure there are many scenes where female Ranma’s nipples are shown. Also even if they were to edit it, there are characters like Happosai who are impossible to edit. He is constantly lugging around a giant sack of stolen panties, and many episodes involve him going on panty raids. It would be much too hard to sanitize the show. It has far more episodes than Tenchi OVAs, so they would have to spend a ton of money butchering a sex comedy down to TV-Y7 standards…

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
jah0u17.jpeg

Episode 2
rqP9213.jpeg

OPENING: Moonlight Densetsu by Dali
ENDING: Heart Moving by Misae Takamatsu

Punishment Awaits: The House of Fortune is the Monster Mansion
Friday 6/7 at 5.0 PM

Synopsis: A new house of fortune opens up in the Juban District and quickly gains popularity for its accurate predictions. But soon, the customers who had their fortunes read begin to act violently including Gurio Umino, a boy who has a crush on Usagi. Suspecting that this is the work of a monster, Usagi and Luna decide to investigate the situation.​

aegisrawks

I really hope this episode shows up in the ratings, it NEVER aired before and the fact I dont know the ratings makes me so nervous lol.

Rick Jones

Big Fan
Staff member
I actually remembered to tune in this week. It felt great to see. Kind of makes me wish YYH was part of the nostalgia block, too.

Last edited:

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
Its so surreal watching the unedited on TV without the crazy DiC dub graphic and sound alterations.
Honestly I think it’s probably for the better because no one wants to see The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog style PSAs in 2024.

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
I forgot to mention it last week but one thing to get used to with this English dub beyond the original names being used is Usagi's infamous nickname. "Bun head" is more closer to the Japanese version but I'll always think of "meatball head" from the DiC dub.

Majin_Megabyte

Ice Witch
We got through the first of the seven banned episodes from the OG through SuperS era stuff. I can understand why they banned the episode back then due to the Umio and Ms. Haruna scene and the school riot scene. It was a still a really good episode.

A.Magik

We got through the first of the seven banned episodes from the OG through SuperS era stuff. I can understand why they banned the episode back then due to the Umio and Ms. Haruna scene and the school riot scene. It was a still a really good episode.
Not to mention when Umino tries to force a kiss on Usagi. Too bad girls don’t have a cry that wards off predators.

zoombie

Here is one thing I notice comparing episode 2 to episode 1, and that is the way the Dark Kingdom. In the first episode, they replace an existing person (Naru's mom) and run a business that already exist. And the victims that lose "energy" actually act like people that lose energy and are just tired.

In episode 2, the monster of the week is not a existing person, and the business they set up themselves, and the victims are not tired, because they are low on "energy" they just act crazy.

And the reason of the difference is obvious, episode 1 is a manga adaption, episode 2 (and most episodes of the series) are anime original. When they adapt the manga they have to follow their rules, while anime originals the anime makers can do what they want.

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
jah0u17.jpeg

Episode 3
rqP9213.jpeg

The Mysterious Sleeping Sickness: Protect the Girls in Love
Friday 6/14 at 5.0 PM

Synopsis: All the girls in town are tuning in to the late-night radio program called "Midnight Zero" that reads out love letters sent in by the listeners. Meanwhile, a strange sleeping sickness is plaguing the town, causing people to fall into a coma-like state, including Ms. Haruna and Naru.​

Rick Jones

Big Fan
Staff member
I don't think I ever get tired of revisiting this show. We really were spoiled in the 90s. This must be at least the 5th time I sat through this episode.

J'onn J'onzz

Best Male Member '08
Even though this is considered a filler episode, Toei did a good job of making it seem like it matters. Sailor Moon did get that transformation pen, and fight the main bad guys of the arc. I noticed a lot of the clips from the Rewind promo come from this episode.

zoombie

I wonder these early episodes, why they didn't just use some Codename Sailor V plots for this. These early episodes is pretty much an alternative universe of Codename Sailor V if it was Usagi and Luna in place of Mina and Artemis.

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
jah0u17.jpeg

Episode 4
rqP9213.jpeg

Learn How to Be Skinny from Usagi
Friday 6/21 at 5.0 PM

Synopsis: Usagi is shocked to find out that she's gained weight from too much eating. Determined to get back into shape and fast, she and her friends join a gym that advertises instant results for its members.​

19MagiswordLane

Anime Superhero's Crooner of Carnage, babe!
I almost forgot this was uncut until I saw Usagi's cleavage in the spa room. I remember DIC blurd that.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The first South Park movie is 25 years old today.
New profile pic: Zadie from Work It Out Wombats!
The CSC Channels prior to 2017 were actually amazing. A shame it was all thrown under the bus.
Lesson learned. Never talk to anyone ever.

Featured Posts