"He-Man and the Masters of the Universe" (Netflix CGI Animated Series) News & Discussion (Spoilers)

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Here's you guys' problem: Actually caring what Kevin Smith thinks about any given subject.

That's fair. Personally I only care about what Kevin Smith thinks about the show he is going to deliver, not this other show he has nothing to do with. I actually think Smith is enough of a pro not get offended by Mattel making another Masters of the Universe cartoon aimed at a younger audience than his show.

Personally, the Kevin Smith show sounds more appealing to me than the CGI show, just because I think a PG-13 He-Man could fun and reflect some of the Masters of the Universe comics that have come out over the decades. But Mattel would stupid not have a show that tries appeal to kids today.

The problem is Kevin Smith has a pretty mixed record as a creator, I liked Dogma well enough (I could see why others wouldn't) and I liked his runs of Daredevil and Green Arrow, but something like Yoga Hosers sounds like the worst thing ever and he does come off as a bit too much of a fanboy sometimes.

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
There was an article about this series published 3 weeks ago:

That is kinda interesting, I think Mattel really wants Masters of the Universe to be a major franchise again and someone at Netflix really likes MOTU.

Frontier

Staff member
There was an article about this series published 3 weeks ago:

That is kinda interesting, I think Mattel really wants Masters of the Universe to be a major franchise again and someone at Netflix really likes MOTU.
I didn't know Bryan Q. Miller was involved with this. Cool :).

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
It looks like they're going for the classic look for the CG cartoon, so I'm curious what he'll look like here.

I heard from a YouTube channel run by a guy who used to run the MOTU brand for Mattel says kids in 2002 did not like the furry shorts (that was almost 20 years ago), in New Adventures of He-Man he wore blue pants.

I wonder what take this cartoon will have on the MOTU mythos, it has changed a lot since the beginning, but the Flimation version is the most iconic:

Mandouga

I heard from a YouTube channel run by a guy who used to run the MOTU brand for Mattel says kids in 2002 did not like the furry shorts (that was almost 20 years ago), in New Adventures of He-Man he wore blue pants.

That sounds like a rumor to me...

Either way, that doesn't mean anything. Once we have artwork from this new show, then we'll see what's going on.

In any case, I'm not bothered by the "furry shorts", but admittedly, that's just me. I'm also sure the blue pants in "New Adventures" was just a design choice on the part of the company (who wasn't Filmation) that made the show.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
Mattel-MOTU-Cartoon-Design-Reveal-Header.jpg

So, it looks like this going to be more scifi relative to the other animated series.

Mandouga

As long as it doesn't try too hard to be "DCAU-like", or otherwise dark/edgy/"realistic"*, it should be okay (emphasis on "should"). Also, if they have Prince Adam in this version, they should just do the origin story that most people know (they wouldn't even have to talk about Adora until/unless they decide to have her in the show, or even give her her own spinoff). After all, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Also, before anyone says it, I'm not expecting it to be exactly like Filmation's version, but I'm hoping it won't be a deconstruction of any kind, either. You all knew this, of course, but not everything has to be dark/edgy. Still, we'll see what happens.

*And before you all mention the..."other" series, they could still do something similar in this show, which I kind of hope they don't do.

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
As long as it doesn't try too hard to be "DCAU-like", or otherwise dark/edgy/"realistic"*, it should be okay (emphasis on "should"). Also, if they have Prince Adam in this version, they should just do the origin story that most people know (they wouldn't even have to talk about Adora until/unless they decide to have her in the show, or even give her her own spinoff). After all, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Also, before anyone says it, I'm not expecting it to be exactly like Filmation's version, but I'm hoping it won't be a deconstruction of any kind, either. You all knew this, of course, but not everything has to be dark/edgy. Still, we'll see what happens.

*And before you all mention the..."other" series, they could still do something similar in this show, which I kind of hope they don't do.

Are talking about the recent She-Ra series, is that the other series or are you talking about the 2002 He-Man cartoon?

I will say though, outside of the Filmation series, the Masters of the Universe franchise can be a bit darker than that incarnation, there are several versions of Skeletor who are completely monstrous, a far cry from the goofy Filmation Skeletor:

King Hiss ate people in the 2002 cartoon (they cut away before you could see most of it, but it was still there) and 2018 Horde Prime was an abusive cult leader who wanted to destroy the universe because it did not match his vision of perfection.

There can be a balance, with someone like Orko providing comic relief and some more light-hearted episodes, while still having the villains be menacing.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
I will say though, outside of the Filmation series, the Masters of the Universe franchise can be a bit darker than that incarnation,
Makes sense to me because this is supposed to be a parody on Conan the Barbarian with monsters, mutants and cyborgs who probably look the way they do because they barely survived something during the Dark Ages which is a pretty self-explanatory period in history.

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Makes sense to me because this is supposed to be a parody on Conan the Barbarian with monsters, mutants and cyborgs who probably look the way they do because they barely survived something during the Dark Ages which is a pretty self-explanatory period in history.

Yeah, for example, Skeletor was far more sinister in the original Mattel mini-comics than he was in the Filmation series and those comics came before the Filmation series. He-Man can be kinda campy and silly sometimes, but you can still tell dramatic stories in this setting, it can be an interesting balance. The more silly Filmation Skeletor is often a contrast to how Skeletor is often portrayed, as a psychopathic monster.

Mandouga

The other series I was talking about was the other one currently in production, "Revelations".

Also, Mostezli, it was never meant to be a parody or any other kind of adaptation of Conan. That was actually a false rumor that got debunked some time back. The Conan-like setting was literally just a coincidence.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

TFormersMarvel

Amazon has revealed some details about an upcoming tie-in graphic novel set in the reboot's world in:

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe: Legends from Castle Grayskull

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe are back in this original graphic novel based on the hit Netflix show!

Fresh off of gaining their newfound Powers of Grayskull, and fighting off a whole host of villains, our heroes -- Adam, Teela, Krass, Duncan, and Cringer -- face their most daunting challenge yet: spending their first night in their new home, Castle Grayskull! The teens do their best to settle in, but it's not so easy. The castle is definitely not what it seems: A labyrinth. A spooky puzzle-box of magic and mystery. Even its rooms have rooms! Follow along in this original graphic novel as our heroes battle monsters, flesh-eating snacks, and their own memories. The graphic novel will feature exclusive lore straight from the creators of the Netflix animated series, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe. Get ready for an action-packed adventure!

Frontier

Staff member
Amazon has revealed some details about an upcoming tie-in graphic novel set in the reboot's world in:

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe: Legends from Castle Grayskull
Okay, a few takeaways:

- Initially the Masters of the Universe are He-Man, Teela, Man-at-Arms (Duncan) and Ram-Man (Krass). I don't know if they'll throw Orko in there for extra comedy relief :p.

- So it's not just He-Man? All of the protagonists get the Power of Grayskull to transform into their heroic forms? Does that mean they know Adam is He-Man :oops:?

- Adam and Teela are one thing, but Man-at-Arms and Ram-Man are also teenagers? How does that work with Duncan and Teela? He's supposed to be her dad :confused:.

- Looks like they're all living at Castle Grayskull as a kooky and weird home base. Where is the Sorceress :ack:?

Mandouga

One thing is certain. This may be another in-name-only remake that focuses more on trying to appeal/“relate” to certain groups of people. Also, what do they mean “hit Netflix series”? It hasn’t even premiered yet, and they’re already declaring it a “hit”? You know the old expression “Don’t count your chickens before they’re hatched”? I really hate to say this, but that may be exactly what they are doing. Still, we’ll just have to wait and see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
One thing is certain. This may be another in-name-only remake that focuses more on trying to appeal/“relate” to certain groups of people. Also, what do they mean “hit Netflix series”? It hasn’t even premiered yet, and they’re already declaring it a “hit”? You know the old expression “Don’t count your chickens before they’re hatched”? I really hate to say this, but that may be exactly what they are doing. Still, we’ll just have to wait and see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be fair, this cartoon might be the goofy one that appeals to kids, while Relevantions is the serious one that appeals to adults, maybe this cartoon is goofier because we are getting a serious take else where.

Spotlight

Members online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Has anyone seen PSI Cops last night?

(cricket noises)

Yeah, I still can't believe that was a thing.
Paramount and Skydance have officially merged. Does this mean that Brian Robbins got the boot?
Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes

Featured Posts