How much Cartoon Network aired each show from 2004 onward?

EdCNPowerpuffDrama

Maybe it was the change in network heads from Stuart Snyder to Christina Miller, meaning the guy who was likely advocating for the show was gone and the new head not having any attachment to a show she didn't pick up.
But Johnny Test was clearly a hit and watched by their target audience, even if Miller didn't like the show it would make no sense to remove one of their biggest money makers at the time. Even if its popularity declined around that time, the way the network completely let go of it despite it being so important for many years is just.. super off putting, it's like if TTG just suddenly stopped airing and never be seen or mentioned by the network ever again.

Stumpos

But Johnny Test was clearly a hit and watched by their target audience, even if Miller didn't like the show it would make no sense to remove one of their biggest money makers at the time. Even if its popularity declined around that time, the way the network completely let go of it despite it being so important for many years is just.. super off putting, it's like if TTG just suddenly stopped airing and never be seen or mentioned by the network ever again.
Wouldn't be the only time Miller did this. Adventure Time and Regular Show got screwed over badly later (as we'll see when I do 2015-18) as well with little to no reruns and they even stopped advertising the former after Daddy Daughter Card Wars (except for the Minecraft special and series finale). This was despite both shows being their biggest hits of the early 2010s.

EdCNPowerpuffDrama

Wouldn't be the only time Miller did this. Adventure Time and Regular Show got screwed over badly later (as we'll see when I do 2015-18) as well with little to no reruns and they even stopped advertising the former after Daddy Daughter Card Wars (except for the Minecraft special and series finale). This was despite both shows being their biggest hits of the early 2010s.
That was quite strange as well but at least they still kept mentioning them on their social media, Johnny Test got completely nuked. It is super strange that what was essentially the face of the network for multiple years didn't get a single mention on CN's 30th anniversary.

J'onn J'onzz

Best Male Member '08
Staff member
Reporter
It’s weird, but CN actually allowed some Johnny Test episodes to premiere on Boomerang instead at 3 am, months before making it to CN. Around this time, Boomerang became a dumping ground for shows CN wanted to be rid of. Shows like Sonic Boom and Bunnicula also finished their run on Boomerang. Sonic Boom at least had a decent Saturday 6 pm slot for new episodes, but Bunnicula was also burned off in the middle of the night. I was enjoying Saturday mornings in 2014 with Pokemon, Tenkai Knights, and Sonic Boom, but the loss of DC Nation and the end of Tenkai Knights were disappointing. Fall 2014 was also the end of the Vortexx block on the CW, making it feel like the end of an era for Saturday mornings on cable and network tv alike. CN also seemed to lose interest in Pokemon in its last years on the network; the XY-Z era mainly aired on Saturday/Sunday mornings. The hostility to the older management’s acquisitions was frustrating. The Miller era doesn’t have much to show for new originals either, with none of them really having a chance to breathe amid all the TTG and Gumball reruns.

Last edited:

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
So 2014 is the year that I started getting back into Cartoon Network. I heard good things about Steven Universe and Clarence, which made me want to get around to them, and one day, I decided to check out the former when I saw episodes of it on demand and soon got the appeal. This was also the year that I went to university and by this point caught up with both shows and made Thursday nights a ritual to catch both. I'd usually also stick around for either Teen Titans Go! and/or Uncle Grandpa. I wouldn't catch up with Adventure Time and Regular Show until later that year/into 2015, but by the time we got to Over the Garden Wall, I was fully on board with the second age of CN.

EdCNPowerpuffDrama

As I can recall, 2014 was the last time Total Drama’s repeats post-Island were ever shown in America.
Nope. Reruns of Island, Action and Revenge of the Island were aired in 2018 and 2019. Even the TDA Special, Celebrity Manhunt was rerunned on a saturday night after a DramaRama marathon.

Spacething7474

Modern Fairly OddParents’ strongest soldier
Staff member
It’s weird, but CN actually allowed some Johnny Test episodes to premiere on Boomerang instead at 3 am, months before making it to CN.
In fact, according to Boomerang Schedule Archives, the eternity of season 6 got this treatment, with the final episode airing in December 2013, a whole year before Cartoon Network got it!

Asa

Nope. Reruns of Island, Action and Revenge of the Island were aired in 2018 and 2019. Even the TDA Special, Celebrity Manhunt was rerunned on a saturday night after a DramaRama marathon.
It’s pretty weird that reruns of World Tour got skipped in 2018 and 2019.

The last time that season was shown was back in 2014.

2018 and 2019 also skipped showing reruns of All-Stars and Pahkitew Island.

Last edited:

EdCNPowerpuffDrama

It’s pretty weird that reruns of World Tour got skipped in 2018 and 2019.

The last time that season was shown was back in 2014.
Yeah, what made it even weirder was that they rerunned the TDA Special on a saturday night in 2019, it was even hyped up with a DramaRama marathon as its lead-in, only for the network to start rerunning.. Revenge of the Island after it. And it's not like they didn't have the rights for it anymore, as they used clips of WT in one of their CN Couples video that was recently uploaded to their channel.

Spacething7474

Modern Fairly OddParents’ strongest soldier
Staff member
To be fair, those are seen as the worst seasons of the show so maybe fan reception played a role too.
but World Tour is seen as the best season of the show, so that's probably not the case (ironically I find it the 2nd worst behind Revenge [which unfortunately did air], while Pahkitew is my favorite behind all 3 of Dramarama's)

Stumpos

Someone has made a Tweet showing a comparison of how the 2014 schedule evolved over the course of the year.

JMTV

Tater Tot!
The Miller era doesn’t have much to show for new originals either, with none of them really having a chance to breathe amid all the TTG and Gumball reruns.
You know, it's funny because this is something I have been thinking about just last night.

When it comes to original series, the mid to late 2010's was pretty much dead zone for Cartoon Network. Unless you are Adventure Time, Regular Show, and Steven Universe (and the Total Drama series, for the most part), or shows that were based off of pre-existed franchise like Powerpuff Girls and Ben 10, a lot of shows during that time came and went so quickly.

Now, you can say whatever you want about the late 2000's for CN, yes, that was a horrible time for the network, but at least they quickly pick themselves back up in the early 2010's (hell, at least CN was a godsend compared to Nick and Disney at the time). I truly do believe that Cartoon Network in the early 2010's was one of the main reasons why people still watch cable.

However, once 2014 hit when shows like The Amazing World of Gumball, and especially Teen Titans Go, started to overtaken the network, that's when Cartoon Network completely went downhill. Not only for Cartoon Network, but for cable TV as a whole.

Here's another thing that really hit me and as to why a lot of CN shows being removed off of Max back in 2022. It's really deep than just "I HATE TEEN TITANS GO!". NO. It was much more than that.

Around 2014, Turner Broadcasting and Cartoon Network wasn't doing that well. They were going through huge financial problems and a lot of the Turner networks, including Cartoon Network, was going through a severe ratings declines. Cartoon Network especially got hit hard the most since a lot of kids stopped watching Cartoon Network in favor of streaming and online. Once Cartoon Network's ratings has been declining, its advertising revenue are also decreasing. Which is why Adult Swim was taking over the 8pm hour at that time.

So, Time Warner did recognize it became a problem, so they decided to let Turner Broadcasting going through restructure changes in order to stay afloat such as cutting costs and massive layoffs. Which is why Cartoon Network for a quite a while have been struggling to find a huge hit for their original series after Adventure Time and Regular Show.

As for Christina Miller, I don't hate Christina Miller, but the problem with her tenure is that she's playing things way too safe, both in presentation and programming. They didn't put any effort to make something that all ages could watch since CN is so strictly focusing on the kid demographic. And with Gumball and Teen Titans Go taking up the entire CN schedule more than any other show at the time, it really did turn a lot of people off. Granted, it's not really her fault, but still it did left a bad taste a lot of people's mouths. And thus, a lot of their original shows suffers as a result.

And with CN's original programming during the Miller era, none of them really stuck out compared to previous eras because like I said, a lot of people stopped watching Cartoon Network in favor of streaming, and the casual viewers are not interested in CN anymore because all they see is Teen Titans Go 24/7 and nothing else. Which left a lot of shows during the Miller era either mediocre (Mighty Magiswords and Victor and Valentino) critically hated (PPG 2016 and Ben 10 2017) or faded away and forgotten (Apple and Onion and Summer Camp Island). Or in some cases, shows that were attempted to become popular but got completely screwed over in the end (Infinity Train, Mao Mao, and OK KO). Adventure Time and Steven Universe were the only two shows that kept people talking about CN during the Miller era (for better or for worse). Sure, Craig of the Creek and We Bare Bears were decently popular, but not as a huge phenomenal compared to the former two.

Without Adventure Time and Steven Universe, Cartoon Network got nothing. Gumball and Teen Titans Go can only get you so far. Hell, Adult Swim and Toonami got a lot more things going on compared to Cartoon Network, and that's sad.

Another thing that really stinks about 2014 is that Cartoon Network could've restructure themselves if the people at the top at Time Warner gives them a long term plan on what to do with Cartoon Network as a channel and how to get their viewers back. Instead, they decided to let them throw stuff at a wall and what sticks and hoping somebody will fix the mess for them. Well,...they did....and....yeah, we saw how that turned out, but I'm getting ahead of myself here.

Ok, what I'm trying to say is that Time Warner didn't know what their long term goal is for CN, and just let them continue to pump out original animation and treat everything like it's business as usual, despite going through massive rating declines. Once we get to 2017, things will continue to get worse as time went on.

So yeah, I'm not a big fan of 2014. Even though there are some good things in that era like Clarence and Over the Garden Wall, but everything else? Yeah, after Stuart Snyder left, things just weren't the same.

And I'm not looking forward to 2015...

Stumpos

You know, it's funny because this is something I have been thinking about just last night.

When it comes to original series, the mid to late 2010's was pretty much dead zone for Cartoon Network. Unless you are Adventure Time, Regular Show, and Steven Universe (and the Total Drama series, for the most part),

So yeah, I'm not a big fan of 2014. Even though there are some good things in that era like Clarence and Over the Garden Wall, but everything else? Yeah, after Stuart Snyder left, things just weren't the same.
Even then, all those shows were greenlit under Snyder, not Miller so they weren't even her shows. And Adventure Time and Regular Show got less airtime when Miller took over and Total Drama went on production hiatus with the DramaRama spin off as the most notable thing going on during the Miller era.

Also noticing how they stopped doing TV-PG shows after Snyder left, going back to TV-Y7.

Honestly I'd say everything was fine for the first 8 months, but went down in the final third of the year.

JMTV

Tater Tot!
Even then, all those shows were greenlit under Snyder, not Miller so they weren't even her shows.
I know that, but I'm just saying that those were the shows that people talked about during the Miller era, despite those shows came during the Snyder era.
And Adventure Time and Regular Show got less airtime when Miller took over
Yup, once you'll get to 2015, you'll find out why..
Total Drama went on production hiatus with the DramaRama spin off as the most notable thing going on during the Miller era.
True, but the reason why I don't talk about Total Drama is because I'm mostly focus on their originals.
Also noticing how they stopped doing TV-PG shows after Snyder left, going back to TV-Y7.
Yup, and the only PG show that CN still holds onto was Teen Titans Go, and that's about it.

Stumpos

However, once 2014 hit when shows like The Amazing World of Gumball, and especially Teen Titans Go, started to overtaken the network, that's when Cartoon Network completely went downhill. Not only for Cartoon Network, but for cable TV as a whole.
Yep, also the year that Nickelodeon hit a low point with the infamous Nick Studio 10 and almost nothing good airing that year aside from TMNT 2012 (SpongeBob was on production hiatus with only one episode airing that year), The Hub rebranding into Discovery Family, and Disney Channel moving all original cartoons to Disney XD.

Spotlight

Members online

No members online now.

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

What happened to all our posts from yesterday?
Ok, this was all related to the latest server migration. In addition to not being able to post, I can't log out either well by deleting cookies you can.
Yojimbo wrote on Zedd's profile.
can not post, get this error message (but can post on people's profiles and post status updates)
Forum is back but I (and I assume everyone) can not make a post.
I would love to know what anime are popular in Serbia

Featured Posts