How Speedy Got His Mojo Back and How Pepé Can Be Toned Down

awinger24

It is worth to know that over the course of time, moral panic can influence how corporations want to depict their brands but it always goes into reverse just years after. Leadership changes, change in consumer behavior, re-evaluation? Speedy Gonzales and Pepé Le Pew have been the most underutilized Looney Tunes characters since the 1960s. It's understandable how there is not enough demand for the characters. And they have a right whether to exercise their trademark use or not.

At one point in the 1990s, Speedy Gonzales was stopped and shelved from appearing in a few projects (even his shorts went off the air) but it did not stop Speedy from making cameos here and there. A group managed to campaign to Cartoon Network to get his original shorts back on the air after a brief three year ban. He did not appear in Baby Looney Tunes and he was not honored in Loonatics Unleashed. Believe it or not that is was not until The Looney Tunes Show in 2011 where writers found a new inclusive way to write for his character. Speedy is still sporadically used today but he is still honored.

When I got into the franchise, I loved every character. From Bugs to Daffy to even the lesser known stars like Pepé. The spinoffs offered a new creative sandbox to take the characters into new adventures with potential new pairings. My desire to see Pepé reimagined is basically addressing my concern how ignoring an iconic character just to please a certain group squanders good potential. He was retooled in The Looney Tunes Show and New Looney Tunes. I can understand why he was opted out of Looney Tunes Cartoons (same with Speedy).

Pepé Le Pew was going through the same phase as Space Jam: A New Legacy and Tiny Toons Looniversity were going to be made for an audience hoping to draw interest to mainstream audiences. Under WarnerMedia and with numerous people involved, they made the effort to make sure his completely gone giving the impression that he's forgotten to new kid audiences.

But in 2024, there might be a change of heart. Warner Bros. Discovery has gotten more lenient with him. After seeing him used again in Looney Tunes World of Mayhem, one of his cartoons cameoing in the Joker movie, John Oliver mentioning him in a random joke, and Discovery Family using a stock image of him on social media in one post. Clearly, I think WBD is slowly putting him back in the spotlight. Even off the radar reruns of New Looney Tunes on Cartoon Network back in 2022-2023 that feature his segments were not banned or censored. If there is one positive from the merger, I think they are rolling back on some restrictions placed by WarnerMedia / AT&T. Even the WB World Yas Island park in Abu Dhabi re-introduced Bistro Le Pew without any pushback. For the time being, they do still allow Fifi La Fume and Penelope Pussycat to appear in media. I just think that the tide is finally turning if stand corrected.

How can he be reimagined? You should keep his French accent. If they want to move away from negative French stereotypes, make him Quebecois like Loopy de Loop. And if he can no longer chase women, why not make his relationship efforts more genuine and more modern with how romantic comedies approach relationships but in a satirical fashion. Why not make Penelope Pussycat the one pursuing him and Pepé’s efforts to win her over feel end up feeling foolish but his determination still prevails. He can still be a charming Casanova with the optional joke of him being a big stink in a literal context but toned down.

It is interesting that history can repeat itself. Generally, if there is a good idea that can allow a forgotten or underutilized character to be reimagined for modern audiences and sensitivities, there should be no hesitancy to do so. Don't let executives or focus groups determine the course of action. It's why I think Speedy and Pepé will never be gone and they can still be honored with the right people and with a feasible concept.

How would you make sure Speedy and Pepé stay relevant to this day. How can you tone down Pepé and give Speedy more to do while avoiding problematic tropes?

Last edited:

Silverstar

Kooky Spooky
(Speedy) was not honored in Loonatics Unleashed.

WB were honoring Speedy by not using him in that show, trust me.

I mean no disrespect, but do we really need another thread like this? By now, we all know how you feel about Pepe. All of this has been covered numerous times before here, and you're not saying anything new. You've beaten all the flesh off of that dead horse by this point. Let it go, man, seriously.

Last edited:

awinger24

WB were honoring Speedy by not using him in that show, trust me.

I mean no disrespect, but do we really need another thread like this? By now, we all know how you feel about Pepe. All of this has been covered numerous times before here, and you're not saying anything new. You've beaten all the flesh off of that dead horse by this point. Let it go, man, seriously.

I just feel that he shouldn’t be erased from continuity. (That joke in Animaniacs was poorly timed and I feel stupid for thinking he is going to be a write off making his ban/retirement permanent.) I do wish he was in Tiny Toons Looniversity and Bugs Bunny Builders. It feels wrong to suddenly drop a character besides cameos because political correctness. But you are right this entire time.

After seeing what is happening, I believe at some point, Warner Bros. is finally going to allow Pepé to make appearances again. I wanted to make this thread just to point out another character got semi-retired but years later, he was brought back. Sometimes, companies learn and don’t learn.

Silverstar

Kooky Spooky
^^You've said all this before too. Just sayin'.

If you have something new to report or share, then we're all ears, but otherwise...you seem like a decent, passionate guy, but come on. How much longer are you going to complain about this?

Last edited:

awinger24

^^You've said all this before too. Just sayin'.

If you have something new to report or share, then we're all ears, but otherwise...you seem like a decent, passionate guy, but come on. How much longer are you going to complain about this?
Sorry for that. He is still being used in a licensed manner. And they still use existing and stock assets. Nothing has been said whether he will make another animated appearance. It just makes these articles posted in 2021 feel outdated and irrelavant.

The John Oliver show basically compared him and Jenna Ortega on a Venn diagram as an odd but funny joke.

Speedy did not have a major speaking role since the 1960s and it took awhile for him to come back. If stand corrected, I think Pepé will get another speaking role 3-5 years from now. There was a 3-5 year gap between previous speaking roles. The Looney Tunes Show in 2013 to New Looney Tunes in 2017-2019. His Animaniacs cameo in 2021. I’m sure WB will want to update the character prior to entering the public domain.

Speedy’s roles were also in gaps as well.

Silverstar

Kooky Spooky
The John Oliver show basically compared him and Jenna Ortega on a Venn diagram as an odd but funny joke
Yeah, I saw that. I'm a regular viewer of Last Week Tonight.

Basically, Pepe's in the same odd limbo as Johnny Bravo. WBD is reluctant to use either character full throttle for obvious reasons I don't need to elaborate on by now, but Johnny is set to appear in the Jellystone! special episode "Crisis on Infinite Mirths", so it's possible they could be trying to bring these characters back into the public zeitgeist slowly, subtly, in order to see how folks will react. (I'm not saying that definitely is the case since I don't know this for a fact; it's just speculation on my part so don't quote me on it.)

In any event, don't expect a big ballyhoo trumpeting Pepe's return if it happens. We'll just wake up one day and notice they're doing stuff with him again. Right now WBD has bigger fish to fry than what to do with one C-List Looney Tunes character.

Goldstar!

All right-y!
What I don't get is why you're comparing Pepe's situation to that of Speedy Gonzales when it's not the same thing at all.

Speedy was sidelined in the 1990s because Warner Bros thought that Speedy was seen as an offensive ethnic stereotype. However, Latine fans let it be known that they were/are in no way offended by the character. Quite the opposite, in fact. So Speedy was brought back.

The thing is, Speedy was in Space Jam, for about 5 seconds.

At one point in the 1990s, Speedy Gonzales was stopped and shelved from appearing in a few projects (even his shorts went off the air) but it did not stop Speedy from making cameos here and there. A group managed to campaign to Cartoon Network to get his original shorts back on the air after a brief three year ban. He did not appear in Baby Looney Tunes and he was not honored in Loonatics Unleashed. Believe it or not that is was not until The Looney Tunes Show in 2011 where writers found a new inclusive way to write for his character. Speedy is still sporadically used today but he is still honored.

Being associated with Loonatics Unleashed was not an honor. Trust me on that. Loonatics Unleashed was a critical and commercial failure, and one that WB would like for us all to forget. It was one of the few WB produced animated series that has never aired on Cartoon Network. That should tell you something.

awinger24

What I don't get is why you're comparing Pepe's situation to that of Speedy Gonzales when it's not the same thing at all.

Speedy was sidelined in the 1990s because Warner Bros thought that Speedy was seen as an offensive ethnic stereotype. However, Latine fans let it be known that they were/are in no way offended by the character. Quite the opposite, in fact. So Speedy was brought back.

The thing is, Speedy was in Space Jam, for about 5 seconds.

Being associated with Loonatics Unleashed was not an honor. Trust me on that. Loonatics Unleashed was a critical and commercial failure, and one that WB would like for us all to forget. It was one of the few WB produced animated series that has never aired on Cartoon Network. That should tell you something.
I only feel that the news saying “He’s removed from future projects and will never be used again” did feel ominous at the time. They never did that with Speedy. Of course I am not going to expect a big return in animated media in some capacity. But if he is still being mentioned in some capacity, I can live with that. And I kinda took his cameo in Animaniacs a bit too seriously. People will do anything for clicks. If we are surprised with another cameo, it should be validated that WB has not permanently retired the character and what was said in the news felt exaggerated.

If you are going to suddenly retire a character based on just the classic shorts, the other Looney Tunes characters did problematic stuff in the 1940s which is rightfully censored by the networks today. Bugs and Daffy did some questionable things that the censors will not approve now.

awinger24

Like @Silverstar already said, we've heard all of this before, but there's nothing that we can do about it. Your beef is with Warner Brothers. Complain to them about it.
That was under previous leadership. I do think enough time has passed for him to be re-evaluated. Just like what they did with Speedy after some pushback. It is better than anything Disney is doing (especially in their live action remakes).

And I want to conclude all of this by saying that Pepé Le Pew has not died forever. He is still being used and eventually when he appears in another project, his retirement was all a big understatement. I'm more optimistic that something will come up in the future and he'll be retooled to be less problematic.

If Speedy Gonzales can manage to come back thanks to fan support and re-evaluation, plus enough convincing to executives, it can happen to any forgotten character sitting on the shelf. Thankfully, WB won't do what Disney is doing in regards to this any longer.

Spotlight

Members online

No members online now.

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

What happened to all our posts from yesterday?
Ok, this was all related to the latest server migration. In addition to not being able to post, I can't log out either well by deleting cookies you can.
Yojimbo wrote on Zedd's profile.
can not post, get this error message (but can post on people's profiles and post status updates)
Forum is back but I (and I assume everyone) can not make a post.
I would love to know what anime are popular in Serbia

Featured Posts