IGN's Top Ten Comic Book Cartoons

Stu

Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Hey,

IGN recently listed thier 10 favourite comic book cartoons, with reasons why they were on the list.

Anyone have anything to say about thier list? What deserves to be on there, what doesn't? What would your list look like?

01.jpg

Number Two!
Image Courtesy of Marvel Animation Age

Comments?

MR.MXYZPTLK

Mild Mannered Reporter
I don't like that list. I'm suprised Spiderman and X-Men Evo did better than superman the animated series. Btas being in first was inevitable, but I'm suprised X-Men was in second.

Arsenal

Magneto was right
I like that top five a lot. Maybe I'd shuffle the order, but I can't disagree with any of those being in the top five. I did not like TMNT. (Heresy for someone of my age.) I preferred the reboot but still am not fond of the show, which is unusual because I liked most of the comics. TMNT is probably the only entry I felt didn't belong.

I think it's noteworthy that only long-running series made the list. (I think the shortest entry still had 39 episodes to its credit.) That would likely be the reason something like Iron Man or Fantastic Four did not make the list.

X-Men: TAS higher than Justice League? Hmmm, I don't know if I would go that far. It seemed like IGN was consciously avoiding turning the list into a Timm lovefest. Fair enough. I would argue that an X-Men series is definitely Marvel's best. (Then again, whether it is Evolution or TAS is up for debate.)

Stu

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I'm surprised X-Men: Evolution is even on the list. Everytime I read IGN's opinion on Evo, I always think they've just seen the pilot and then not bothered to watch anything after that.

Can't argue with the top spot though. I'd have personally given Spider-Man or Justice League Unlimited the number 2 spot.

Arsenal

Magneto was right
Spider-Man? I know he used to be your namesake, but I think the series floundered in its last few years. (Then again, so did X-Men: TAS.) In general, I think Spidey was a series with a lot of potential hamstrung by censors and network mandates.

Michael24

Staff member
A decent list, though I personally wouldn't put Spider-Man, Batman Beyond or The Tick in the Top 10. Haven't seen X-Men: Evolution, but obviously I have no complaints about their #1 pick. Perfect. :D

(I've got a bigger problem with their #1 "Shows Inspired By the Comics/Collectibles Genre" list on page 1, but that's a debate for another thread.)

Stu

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Spider-Man? I know he used to be your namesake, but I think the series floundered in its last few years. (Then again, so did X-Men: TAS.) In general, I think Spidey was a series with a lot of potential hamstrung by censors and network mandates.

I actually really enjoyed season five, aside from those two stupid Hydro-Man episodes. Season four was a little lame, but I thought it was consistantly better than X-Men. I suppose me being a bigger Spider-Man fan than X-Men does have something to do with it.

I am of the opinion that when Spider-Man was on form, it couldn't be beaten.

Level

My favorites on the list (in no particular order):
Spider-Man
Batman Beyond (truly cool show, i`m currently watching season 1)
Justice League

But yeah.. the list sucks in my opinion.

SuperBat

Cooler than Chuck Norris
Arsenal said:
X-Men: TAS higher than Justice League? Hmmm, I don't know if I would go that far. It seemed like IGN was consciously avoiding turning the list into a Timm lovefest. Fair enough. I would argue that an X-Men series is definitely Marvel's best. (Then again, whether it is Evolution or TAS is up for debate.)
I second this entire part of your post.

I sort of resent BTAS' inevitable #1 spot. Retrospectively, I don't think it holds up. Don't get me wrong, I love it. But the reasons they gave for putting it at #1 (although I back their praise of MOTP) ring true for the entire Timmverse. The only reason BTAS deserved #1 in their opinion is because it started the trend and now holds a cherished part of their nostalgic memory. I believe that in ten or fifteen years, lists like this may give the other Timm shows as much or more credit.

On a different note, I was not apalled by the list. It was predictable only to the point of having any show I would've considered. And I was pleasantly surprised to see X:Men: Evolution (which I totally prefer to the original X-Men), as well as Batman Beyond, which wasn't technically a comic book show at all.

Donomark

In all honesty, they should have put the Fleischer Superman series in the list. Sure B:TAS and Spawn won emmys, but the 40's Superman cartoon was nominated for an Oscar! But otherwise, I actually agree with the list for the most part. I would have switched JLU with X-Men for the #2 and # spots, but X-Men is such a nostalgia fest, I can understand.

FireWarrior

The Ultimate Warrior
Not too bad IMO. Personally TMNT could have been replaced by something else. Maybe shuffle Batman Beyond, Superman TAS, and JL to be higher but for the most part I think it's good. Not in the least bit suprised that B:TAS is #1.

Frank Castle

Sic vis pacem, para bellum
An ok list. I totally agree with BTAS as #1 though. That show is still the best overall cartoon in my opinion.

spyke

GARGOYLES,G.I. JOE,THE INCREDIBLES,and THE VENTURE BROTHERS should NOT have been on that list at all since they did not originate from comics. G.I. JOE is the ONLY one of those 4 that I might give a pass to sice Hasbro approached both Marvel and Larry Hama about creating an all new JOE team that will be a comic,cartoon,and toy line.

Anyone of these following cartoons should have been on this list instead of the 4 cartoons I mentioned above.

the 60's FANTASTIC FOUR cartoon
the 60's MARVEL SUPER HERO cartoons
the 60's SPIDER-MAN cartoon
SPIDER-MAN AND HIS AMAZING FRIENDS
80's SPIDER-MAN solo cartoon
80's SUPERMAN cartoon
60's DC SUPERHERO cartoons
SUPER FRIENDS/SUPER POWERS
90's FF cartoon (2nd season)
90's IRON MAN cartoon (2nd season)
STATIC SHOCK
W.I.T.C.H.
SILVER SURFER
ULTIMATE AVENGERS 1 and 2
INVINCIBLE IRON MAN
80's HULK cartoon
90's HULK cartoon
TEEN TITANS
LEGION OF SUPER HEROES
THE BATMAN

creativerealms

While Superman desurved a higher spot (#2) and ther Turtles should have been the new Toon and not the eighties one the list was not bad at all.

Sue

Hawk Groupie
As much as I enjoyed X-Men at the time, I can't understand how it placed higher than JL. It was a good show, but it was stiff and wooden in its acting, writing, and animation.

Arkangel

I have only one thing to say about this list:

Superman: The Animated Series is criminally underrated on this list. :( Consequently, there are several other shows that placed too high.

Sketch

not like those other old guys
X-Men: TAS #2? No freak'n way. Superman so far on the list? Such injustice. Justice League losing to anything but Batman: TAS... unpossible. TMNT and The Tick making the list are nice. Given it's the old toon I guess that's a decent enough rating for it but they really should have considered the new toon as their problem with the old one was it didn't relate to the comics well but the new toon certainly does.

John Cage

Mystery Man, 666+ Posts Strong
GARGOYLES,G.I. JOE,THE INCREDIBLES,and THE VENTURE BROTHERS should NOT have been on that list at all since they did not originate from comics. G.I. JOE is the ONLY one of those 4 that I might give a pass to sice Hasbro approached both Marvel and Larry Hama about creating an all new JOE team that will be a comic,cartoon,and toy line.

Anyone of these following cartoons should have been on this list instead of the 4 cartoons I mentioned above.

the 60's FANTASTIC FOUR cartoon
the 60's MARVEL SUPER HERO cartoons
the 60's SPIDER-MAN cartoon
SPIDER-MAN AND HIS AMAZING FRIENDS
80's SPIDER-MAN solo cartoon
80's SUPERMAN cartoon
60's DC SUPERHERO cartoons
SUPER FRIENDS/SUPER POWERS
90's FF cartoon (2nd season)
90's IRON MAN cartoon (2nd season)
STATIC SHOCK
W.I.T.C.H.
SILVER SURFER
ULTIMATE AVENGERS 1 and 2
INVINCIBLE IRON MAN
80's HULK cartoon
90's HULK cartoon
TEEN TITANS
LEGION OF SUPER HEROES
THE BATMAN

I think you kind of missed the point of the first list -- it was the top five shows INSPIRED by comics, in as much as a movie like "Sky High" or "My Super Ex-Girlfriend" was comic inspired. They might not be based on a comic book, but they borrow from the genre and conventions.

Have a good day.
John Cage

RAINMAN

Kikoutei Densetsu
I think you kind of missed the point of the first list -- it was the top five shows INSPIRED by comics, in as much as a movie like "Sky High" or "My Super Ex-Girlfriend" was comic inspired. They might not be based on a comic book, but they borrow from the genre and conventions.

Have a good day.
John Cage

Yeah, the list GI Joe was on is a different list. And picking GI Joe over TF is just down right silly. They didn`t even give a good reason. As for the top 10. I like the original TMNT but it got nothing on the current one.....except maybe fast foward.

ROBOTRON

100% Pure Robot!
I agree with everything except for maybe Tick, Turtles and maybe X-Men Evolution.

Instead maybe Static Shock, 60's Spiderman and The Batman should have been added. I'm happy they chose to include Batman Beyond, a truly underated toon.

Static Shock gets bad press due to its weak start, but folks who stuck with the series would know that it matured into a really great toon its last couple of seasons. There were some bad episodes, but some really outstanding ones overshadowed the bad.

60's Spiderman was outstanding. Nothing like it had existed before. Other franchises scrambled afterward to "grow-up" their toons to follow suit.

The Batman had a weak start and bad seasons in between so I understand some peoples disgust with the toon...but it has really gotten good lately. The only reason I mention it is because it was certainly better than X-Men Evolution...a trendy skateboarder toon aimed at yuppie kids and Pepsi/Coke fanatics. It had very little entertainment value.

Honorable mentions for Top 10:

JLU
MTV Spiderman (it was also better than X-Men Evolution)

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The first South Park movie is 25 years old today.
New profile pic: Zadie from Work It Out Wombats!
The CSC Channels prior to 2017 were actually amazing. A shame it was all thrown under the bus.
Lesson learned. Never talk to anyone ever.

Featured Posts