themidnightlore

That one that banters over Sony's TV channels
Staff member
Maybe next time broadcasters (especially smaller ones) will stop teling themselves (especially) and the viewers linear has no place and streaming and streaming linear (fast TV) can easily replace traditional broadcasting all the time

This change was leading them to the death of Tiny Pop as a recognized brand, likely

They should have replaced POP Max instead; maybe Great Real could have stood a chance
Maybe Narrative should have made Great Real a FAST channel from the beginning?

Unlike the Disney Channel

It'd be nice to have a relaunched "all in one" Disney channel (Disney Channel & Disney Junior content) in places such as the UK, Italy, Asia, and so on
I'd accept that if that does bring Star and Nat Geo with it. The whole family!

Francisque

Maybe Narrative should have made Great Real a FAST channel from the beginning?

I'd accept that if that does bring Star and Nat Geo with it. The whole family!
One Star, at least one Nat Geo and one Disney

But probably it's too late now: and they've been losing money by doing that

In a way: karma and I guess I'm kind of happy too
From the other: it'd be nice to have some linear content back

Two Two's

I've got an electric shaver!
Honestly I hope this means changes for Pop Max's overnight schedule, It's been the weakest it has been since it was known as Kix.

Francisque

Honestly I hope this means changes for Pop Max's overnight schedule, It's been the weakest it has been since it was known as Kix.
They don't care: POP and Tiny POP struggle a bit as they are

POP Max would be a way to repeat POP content for the most part now, Kix has gone but in its "refreshed name"

EDIT: OK, there's some more action on POP Max, but aside from that, it doesn't offer too much of something new
It's kind of POP 2

Two Two's

They don't care: POP and Tiny POP struggle a bit as they are

POP Max would be a way to repeat POP content for the most part now, Kix has gone but in its "refreshed name"
In the Sony era of Kix, Kix was the side dish to POP. If you wanted more "comedy" and action that POP refused to air. It was on Kix.

Also they did air King Arthur's Disasters around this time. I remember seeing it twice in 2016.

RegularCapital

Staff member

Tiny Pop returns to linear next week: Great Real has not been performing well, so it'll shut down

I expected that

Well it was an experiment, and the experiment somewhat failed slightly, but I'll think they'll keep Tiny Pop on FAST, but I doubt it will return to Freeview, it might return to Cable.

With FAST, they've lost a big proportion of their audience but saved on transmission costs, hopefully this way, they'll eventually find a balance, but at present it just doesn't work. I think people that only have Freeview make the most of the functions on their Smart TV including the FAST channels functionality, whilst those with Sky for example are mostly stuck in their well developed ecosystem and only use their TV as a display.

Narrative should've waited until Freely becomes a widespread thing where everything is on one platform like Freeview, even the FAST channels are not integrated well and can be clunky, slow, and fragmented.

However, I have noticed Tiny Pop advertised on my LG TV.
Disney was too egostitical on the launch of Disney+... Had if they just made DC UK/Italy FTA in the mid-2010s it could of saved them shutting down the channels.

Disney are incredibly lucky that they didn't completely ruin their relationships with distributors, that's including pay-TV providers and cinema chains.

As for going FTA only, I think that would be too late for them to do it in the mid-2010s, it would've been a bloody battle over viewing share to get ad revenue, at least being pay-TV, they're subsidised by subscriptions.

Two Two's

POP Schedule from November 25th 2011

7:00AM: Oscar's Oasis
7:20AM: Pop It! (dance show that aired in the mornings and the afternoons)
7:30AM: The Smurfs
8:00AM: Iggy Arbuckle
8:30AM: Oscar's Oasis
9:00AM: Tracey Mcbean (Had a brief run on FK, got axed in 2003)
9:30AM: The Smurfs
10:00AM: Hareport
10:30AM: Old Tom
11:00AM: The Smurfs
12:00PM: Winx Club
12:30PM: Iggy Arbuckle
13:00PM: Oscar's Oasis
13:30PM: King Arthur's Disasters
2:00PM: Grossology
2:30PM: Iggy Arbuckle
3:00PM: Oscar's Oasis
3:30PM: Pop It!
3:50PM: The Gees
4:00PM: Backyard Science
4:30PM: Kid Detectives
5:00PM: Pop It!
5:15PM: Iggy Arbuckle
5:30PM: Oscar's Oasis
6:00PM: Lab Rats Challenge
6:30PM: Kid Detectives
7:00PM: Winx Club
8:00PM: Oscar's Oasis
8:20PM: The Gee's
8:30PM: Digimon Data Squad
9:30PM: Oggy and the Cockroaches
10:30PM: Teleshopping
12:00AM: Through the night progamming (typically Clang Invasion and Tracey Mcbean)

JulianRO

Cartoon Classics Russia airs "The Wonderful Adventures of Nils" and TMNT (1987 series):

POP Schedule from November 25th 2011

7:00AM: Oscar's Oasis
7:20AM: Pop It! (dance show that aired in the mornings and the afternoons)
7:30AM: The Smurfs
8:00AM: Iggy Arbuckle
8:30AM: Oscar's Oasis
9:00AM: Tracey Mcbean (Had a brief run on FK, got axed in 2003)
9:30AM: The Smurfs
10:00AM: Hareport
10:30AM: Old Tom
11:00AM: The Smurfs
12:00PM: Winx Club
12:30PM: Iggy Arbuckle
13:00PM: Oscar's Oasis
13:30PM: King Arthur's Disasters
2:00PM: Grossology
2:30PM: Iggy Arbuckle
3:00PM: Oscar's Oasis
3:30PM: Pop It!
3:50PM: The Gees
4:00PM: Backyard Science
4:30PM: Kid Detectives
5:00PM: Pop It!
5:15PM: Iggy Arbuckle
5:30PM: Oscar's Oasis
6:00PM: Lab Rats Challenge
6:30PM: Kid Detectives
7:00PM: Winx Club
8:00PM: Oscar's Oasis
8:20PM: The Gee's
8:30PM: Digimon Data Squad
9:30PM: Oggy and the Cockroaches
10:30PM: Teleshopping
12:00AM: Through the night progamming (typically Clang Invasion and Tracey Mcbean)
Pop was chocked full of mostly Canadian Content

Moleoman

Hyper block closedown and handover to ZigZap's testcard (used in years 2004-2008) from 2006. ZigZap broadcast between 06:00-21:00 (until early 2005 it was 06:00-20:00) followed by Hyper block between 21:00-01:00 (until early 2005 20:00-00:00) with remaining nighttime hours filled by this animated testcard loop below:

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Disney was too egostitical on the launch of Disney+... Had if they just made DC UK/Italy FTA in the mid-2010s it could of saved them shutting down the channels.
Couldn't agree with you more on that and it's worth knowing that they did launch a FTA channel in the UK during the mid 2000s called ABC1 but it only lasted until 2007.

Pro D Yungster

Make the Break the Fake the Take!
I think it would have been better for Disney to go FTV with their main channels rather than FTA. A big draw for Disney UK was there was no ads on their channel, and they did eventually start running adverts. I think that should have been the point they went FTV as opposed to FTA - they still get a bit of exclusivity that way. Imo it definitely stopped feeling premium after the introduction of adverts

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
I think it would have been better for Disney to go FTV with their main channels rather than FTA. A big draw for Disney UK was there was no ads on their channel, and they did eventually start running adverts. I think that should have been the point they went FTV as opposed to FTA - they still get a bit of exclusivity that way. Imo it definitely stopped feeling premium after the introduction of adverts
Honestly, I didn't mind them airing ads.
Which had a Playhouse Disney block. Not too sure if it was successful.
It only lasted over a year before the channel's shutdown.

Francisque

Free-to-view means still free but accessible to people with a smart card, at least in the UK (therefore, a kind of subscription is somehow needed); but the nature of the channel would still be "free", therefore, it would be a drastic move

They needed advertising after the demise of the Disney Cinemagic (2013), that made out for the lack of advertising on Disney Channel and Disney Junior

It stopped being premium WELL BEFORE the introduction of advertising: in 2006!
That's when Disney Channel and Playhouse Disney moved from premium/Movie package channels to basic ones (the back then Kids Pack; with similar moves with Virgin and other platforms), while Toon Disney was rebranded to Disney Cinemagic

Basically movies moved to Cinemagic, Disney Channel and Playhouse Disney changed their schedule to reflect the more tween nature of Disney Channel, and no Walt Disney's movies anymore (with exceptions) on Playhouse Disney

Also, Disney Channel before 2006 (but already before 2005, to be exact) was a family channel by airing shows such as 8 Simple Rules, Home Improvement (everynight at 10pm as a double bill for a long family), Like Family, and so on

Honestly, I didn't mind them airing ads.

It only lasted over a year before the channel's shutdown.
I didn't mind them either, especially in the first phase of advertising which was quite well limited to the number of advertising it aired

The channels couldn't finance themselves for ever

Especially channels with the commercial size of Disney (needed to compete with Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network in particular) and in a very competitive era

RegularCapital

Staff member
The only time FTV is used is to restrict channels for geographical/programming rights issues so they're soft-encrypted, as a result it's slightly more restrictive than FTA. However, a subscription is not required, just the correct decoder and viewing card, this was the case with Freesat From Sky.

FTV was more common years ago, the BBC used to pay an encryption fee to Sky years ago, but they went FTA as they moved to a satellite to a more limited footprint.

Francisque

The only time FTV is used is to restrict channels for geographical/programming rights issues so they're soft-encrypted, as a result it's slightly more restrictive than FTA. However, a subscription is not required, just the correct decoder and viewing card, this was the case with Freesat From Sky.

FTV was more common years ago, the BBC used to pay an encryption fee to Sky years ago, but they went FTA as they moved to a satellite to a more limited footprint.
Yeah, you're correct: with a kind of subscription I mean that you still somehow need an agreement with that company in order to watch that channel
As even Freesat from Sky, which I think doesn't even exist anymore , not officially

But you're correct, I should have explained myself better :D

Two Two's

While I do acknowledge this, I think FTA would of been better around then since their only competition would be CBBC and CITV (Pop wasn't launched onto Freeview back then). They would also have the unique selling point for advertisers as actually airing in the 7PM-12AM slot.

Spotlight

Members online

No members online now.

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

What happened to all our posts from yesterday?
Ok, this was all related to the latest server migration. In addition to not being able to post, I can't log out either well by deleting cookies you can.
Yojimbo wrote on Zedd's profile.
can not post, get this error message (but can post on people's profiles and post status updates)
Forum is back but I (and I assume everyone) can not make a post.
I would love to know what anime are popular in Serbia

Featured Posts