Is Rugrats going through another reputational decline?

The decline in Rugrats' popularity, the criticism of its post-Germain episodes, and the negativity aimed at Klasky-Csupo in the 2000s are well-known. However, during the early to mid-2010s, a resurgence in 90s Nickelodeon nostalgia brought Rugrats back into the spotlight. It received widespread praise for its character-driven stories, relatable themes, mature storytelling, well-crafted story arcs, and its heartwarming portrayal of friendships and family. Many saw it as the epitome of Nickelodeon's 90s greatness. Platforms like Tumblr and Buzzfeed became hubs for in-depth character analysis, akin to today's YouTube character essays. Reruns on Nick consistently garnered high ratings, with Rugrats in Paris becoming a fan favorite, leading to frequent airings from 2012 to 2014.

This resurgence gained momentum in 2015 with speculation about a possible comeback. The show's 25th-anniversary celebration in 2016, featuring appearances by Arlene Klasky and exclusive merchandise in the Nick Box, fueled excitement. Rumors of a reboot persisted, and by 2017, Nickelodeon released new Rugrats merchandise and comic books. Rugrats went from being infamous for its 2000s decline to being taken seriously again and welcomed back into the cultural landscape.

When the reboot was announced in 2018, along with a CG/live-action movie, the internet buzzed with excitement, despite some skepticism about the latter. The Hannukah special's re-airing later that year generated significant anticipation, marking what appeared to be a new golden age for Rugrats.

However, by 2019, the conversation shifted. 2000s kids grew nostalgic for their childhood and criticized the show for its pacing, childish tone, and perceived boredom. Some even argued that Rocko's Modern Life was the first good Nicktoon. Simultaneously, nostalgia for edgier, meta-humor-driven shows like Family Guy and Phineas and Ferb, beloved in the 2000s, emerged. Opinion turned more negative toward the previously hyped reboot, particularly following the cancellations of shows like Welcome to the Wayne, Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and Glitch Techs. Many suggested that Nickelodeon should have revived Jimmy Neutron or My Life as a Teenage Robot instead.

Resentment grew as the reboot's premiere drew near. Initial compliments for the CG designs and fluid animation changed when promotional shorts appeared on social media. They were often criticized for seemingly remaking old episodes and mocked for their uncanny and stiff animation. News that Betty would be portrayed as a lesbian in the series further fueled discontent. While many of these critics didn't watch the series, they complained about the unnecessary changes and argued for either an All Grown Up follow-up or reinforced the idea that the show didn't need a reboot, urging Nickelodeon to focus on new ideas.

The situation worsened when Kimi showed up at Angelica's preschool, leading to further scrutiny with many people believing the reboot completely ignores Rugrats in Paris (Despite being a seperate entity from the original). Despite the reboot's popularity with kids, it appeared that the love and online clout it once enjoyed in the 2010s has diminished. Even in Twitter, Facebook, or YouTube cartoon communities, Rugrats is discussed far less compared to shows like SpongeBob, Fairly Odd Parents, Phineas and Ferb, or Family Guy. This raises questions about whether this shift is due to people tiring of Nickelodeon's reliance on nostalgia over original content, gatekeeping by 90s kids using Rugrats to criticize recent shows, or if it reflects a generational gap where Gen Z doesn't embrace slower-paced slice-of-life shows as much as millennials do.

Last edited:

SuperSuck64

Misanthrope Supreme
Honestly I always thought Rugrats was kinda overrated.

It's not a bad franchise by any means, it has some cute moments, and Stu making chocolate pudding at 4AM will always be hilarious, but I just never really gelled with it. Even as a kid it was one of those shows I would watch if it were on as opposed to a show I actively looked forward to. I've always gravitated more to the humor of shows like SpongeBob, Fairly Oddparents, and Rocko. It honestly still surprises me that it was this massive phenomenon in the 90's, especially when there were much funnier and more boundary-pushing shows on Nick at the time like Rocko (which didn't have the baggage of a problematic creator and messy production holding it back like Ren and Stimpy, Nick's other "phenomenon", did).

Pooky

Staff member
To be honest I'm having a little trouble parsing the argument here, but I don't think so. It's remembered fondly as a 90s phenomenon by those who were there. If anything it gets more fondly remembered over time as people forget about the "seasonal rot" and just remember the good times, and those who were young enough to remember those seasons start looking back fondly. These days it's not that big a deal in the big picture if younger generations aren't that enthused.

As for why Rugrats was so successful back in the day despite being less boundary pushing than other Nick shows, that's partly why. It had a certain middle-class middle-brow appeal, advocates were people like Jeff Jarvis and Steven Spielberg compared it to Peanuts. Parents who didn't like the Gross-Out gags of Ren and Stimpy could chuckle at jokes about crotchety grandparents, yuppies and having to sit through saccharine sweet cartoons with your kids.

I agree it's not one of the all time greats BTW. Perhaps even a little overrated and for sure it went on way too long, could have done with at least one less spin-off and didn't need a revival. But when it was good, it was solid.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Let me state for the record, Jeff Jarvis was literally one of the worst television critics of all time. I have never read a guy who watched TV for a living write stupider opinions he was actually paid for. Him being a booster of Rugrats is NOT a point in that show's favor.

TV Guide was useful for TV listings. It somehow managed to find the absolute worst columnists and reviewers, at least during the early 1990's when I was following it regularly. When it was taken over by News Corporation, things got... worse... and I literally stopped reading it. By there is a reason The Simpsons has done several jokes making fun of that magazine's vapidity. It's because its writers and reviewers were pure trash.

Man, do I go off on tangents at times or what? Is that why you love me? Or is that why you hate me? Both?

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
I know this is unpopular opinion, but personally, I never liked Rugrats. I didn't think the show was funny back in 1991 and I don't find it funny now. The characters were weird looking. The stories were bland and repetitive. There was far too much potty humor, and Angelica has to be the 1990's most annoying and unlikable character, and so of course, she became the show's breakout star (were Gen Y-ers in the 90s really so desperate for female cartoon characters that they were willing to elevate a repugnant character like Angelica to star status?). Yes, characters like Alexandra Cabot (from Josie and the Pussycats) and Eric Cartman were/are horribly obnoxious also, but the reason why those characters worked, and Angelica didn't is because the aforementioned characters were regularly made to look like fools and would receive karmic punishment for their obnoxious behavior, while Angleica would only get her come-uppance sometimes, which wasn't satisfying to watch. I never watched any of the movies and I had/have no interest in seeing the 2011 remake.

I suppose I can see why some people might find Rugrats to be enjoyable, even if I personally didn't (there were other cartoons that were much funnier Nicktoons on the air, like Rocko's Modern Life, which is deserving of far more praise than it has ever received), but I could never fathom how Rugrats was at one time the #1 show on Nickelodeon (before a certain yellow sponge came along and replaced Rugrats at Nick's favorite child). Rugrats always struck me as a B-list show that somehow inexplicitly got the A-list treatment. I never understood why 90s kids would worship Rugrats when far better cartoons like Animaniacs existed. I never lost interest in Rugrats because I had any to begin with, although I did watch one episode of All Grown Up out of curiosity and that was just boring to me. AGU was virtually indistinguishable from every other "tween" show that was airing at the time, other than that the lead characters were supposed to aged around 10 or 11, but looked and acted like they were 13-15. However, Rugrats isn't my pick for the worst Nicktoon of all time (so far). Rocket Power currently holds that title.

Last edited:

Pooky

Staff member
Maybe the reason it was so popular was because it appealed to more, you know, kids. Rocko's Modern Life kind of operated outside of the life experience and knowledge base of most kids, kids at least know they were babies a few years ago and tend to have a degree of curiosity about their lives, not to mention maybe have infant siblings themselves. And where a lot of older fans jumped off with the addition of Dil and the resultant exponential increase in diaper jokes, for a lot of younger kids that was no doubt a plus (and relatable to their family lives to boot).

But we're falling into the trap of discussing why it was popular in the first place, not necessarily why it may have become less popular recently, and maybe Angelica is the key there. Increasingly people seem to have little to no tolerance for fictional characters they would not want to know in real life. Personally, I'd probably rather raise Angelica myself than watch something as milquetoast and free of conflict as Loonaversity, but that's just me.

(Also, by the by, Gen Z kids weren't born until 1997)

Dr.Pepper

Staff member
I’ll admit it, I was one of those ‘90’s kids who was obsessed with Rugrats. I literally cannot explain why I liked it so much. I know I came really late to the party, as I never saw the show until the summer of 1998, the summer before heading into the 3rd grade (I never really watched Nick until then). I still think it holds up as a cute show, but like I said I have no idea why it resonated with me so much back then.

Angelica is a brat. I hated her then and I hate her now.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
Pooky said:
Maybe the reason it was so popular was because it appealed to more, you know, kids.

I was 22 in 1991, so that checks, although knowing my own personal tastes, I'm not sure that I would have been a Rugrats fan even if I had watched it as a kid.

Pooky said:
(Also, by the by, Gen Z kids weren't born until 1997)

You'd think, being Gen X, I would know that. Just goes to show just how tragically unhip I really am.

CNNickFan

Invader Zim
Rugrats is one of the most interesting Nicktoons out there just because of the idea alone, when the show was first starting development. The wacky character designs and backgrounds were something that was on-par with The Simpsons (Klasky-Csupo worked on both shows).

I only like the first 65 episodes of the original. After that, it gets kinda clićhe. And I've watched every episode. The animation also gets kinda atrocious by the time the show went digital. The designs and backgrounds clash horribly; it looks terrible.

I haven't even seen the reboot, nor so I have interest in seeing it; It just looks like more of the same.

It's Rugrats, so most of the humor is potty jokes. But the adults are pretty hilarious, especially in the earlier seasons. My favorite season is the first one, it just has so many episodes I like.

Although I'm pretty sure most animators hated the show at the time, and television animation in general.

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
I used to love Rugrats when I was a kid, but not so much now because I grew out of it, and I don't think it wasn't as good of a Nicktoon I thought it was. There are much better Nicktoons out there than Rugrats like Rocko's Modern Life, and hell, even Hey Arnold is better at times.

I have not seen the 2021 reboot, and I have no interest in seeing it.

I can't really say Rugrats is going through a reputable decline as long the franchise is making Paramount money. If they didn't, they would've drop it years ago. However, if you are talking about the quality? Sure, I'd give you that.

P.S: I did not like Angelica either. Screw her.

I haven't even seen the reboot, nor so I have interest in seeing it; It just looks like more of the same.
Many of the writers involved in this project are actually seasoned veterans from the Germain era, including Rachel Lipman, Peter Gaffney, Michael Ferris, and Holly Huckins. Notably, many issues people had with the post 65 of the original are not as present in the new version. For instance, there is a significant improvement in the way the babies' speech is portrayed, with fewer mispronunciations. Additionally, Dil's character has evolved beyond being merely a plot device and no longer dominates a substantial portion of the episodes. Kimi's character is now more than a counterpart to Tommy, the focus on the adults has been amplified, and there has been a reduction in reliance on potty humor.

Furthermore, this new series delves into themes and concepts that the original series did not explore. It raises questions about the point at which babies cease to comprehend the world of adults, offers insights into why Charlotte possesses such an abrasive demeanor, and even delves into Angelica's character, revealing a more vulnerable side to her.

But we're falling into the trap of discussing why it was popular in the first place, not necessarily why it may have become less popular recently, and maybe Angelica is the key there. Increasingly people seem to have little to no tolerance for fictional characters they would not want to know in real life. Personally, I'd probably rather raise Angelica myself than watch something as milquetoast and free of conflict as Loonaversity, but that's just me.
The franchise is still popular with kids. (The reboot averages to trending at number 3 on Paramount+ in the "Kids" category, and Season 2 trended in the top 10 for close to a month) I've always found it perplexing why there's been such widespread disdain directed towards Angelica Pickles. This animosity towards her character seemingly gained traction in the 2000s, an era marked by a surge in mean humor and characters in various forms of media. It appears that this disdain for Angelica ties in to the declining reputation of the show during the same period.

Despite the negativity surrounding Angelica, Angelica is, in many ways, a brilliantly funny character. Her sharp wit and snarky comments provide ample comedic moments throughout the series. Angelica serves as the primary antagonist in Rugrats, and the show does an effective job of making viewers aware of her antagonistic role through various narrative and character dynamics. Moreover, it's important to note that Angelica does receive her fair share of karmic retribution in almost every episode. Her schemes often backfire or lead to unintended consequences.

In the reboot, it's evident that the show's writers have listened to these criticisms and taken them to heart. Angelica is portrayed as more of an antihero, a character with a more moderated disposition. The spotlight is put on her character, allowing the audience to see a side of her that was largely unrealized in the original series. She is portrayed as someone who grapples with social anxiety, which adds depth to her character

Do you know what it is? It's boring.

Am I wrong? I mean it's cute and all, but do any of the stories ever excite you or make you belly-laugh or sustain your emotional need to be satisfied by a piece of fiction? It's dull, is what it is.
I can name several: I Remember Melville, Regarding Stuie, The Seven Voyages of Cynthia, Slumber Party, Spike Runs Away, Moving Away, Cradle Attraction, Chuckie's Wonderful Life, Angelica's Worst Nightmare, Mother's Day, Acorn Nuts and Diapey Butts, The Rugrats Movie, Rugrats in Paris, All Growed Up, Angelica's Last Stand, Word of the Day, Angelica Breaks a Leg, What Would The Big People Do, Angelica Orders Out, the Passover, and Chanukah specials, Rescuing Cynthia, Tots Springs Showdown, Gramping, Baby Talk.

It's not a bad franchise by any means, it has some cute moments, and Stu making chocolate pudding at 4AM will always be hilarious, but I just never really gelled with it. Even as a kid it was one of those shows I would watch if it were on as opposed to a show I actively looked forward to. I've always gravitated more to the humor of shows like SpongeBob, Fairly Oddparents, and Rocko. It honestly still surprises me that it was this massive phenomenon in the 90's, especially when there were much funnier and more boundary-pushing shows on Nick at the time like Rocko (which didn't have the baggage of a problematic creator and messy production holding it back like Ren and Stimpy, Nick's other "phenomenon", did).

Audiences connected with "Rugrats" because it depicted the messy, heartfelt, and sometimes chaotic reality of family life. It showed that, in the end, family was the source of love, support, and memorable adventures.

Much like "Peanuts," "Rugrats" excelled in exploring profound family themes. It delved into the intricate dynamics of family life, particularly the relationships between siblings and the interactions between children and their parents. Through the lens of the Rugrats, the show shed light on the challenges, triumphs, and humorous moments that occur within families. This thematic depth set "Rugrats" apart from many other animated series, which often prioritized humor and adventure over familial connections.

What truly resonated with audiences was how "Rugrats" portrayed these family themes in a way that was underrepresented in animation at the time. The show was not afraid to tackle more nuanced and authentic aspects of family life, such as the trials and tribulations of parenthood, the sibling rivalries, and the challenges of growing up. These themes were relatable to viewers of all ages, making it not just a children's show but a family show in the truest sense.

It's entirely understandable that someone who grew up in the 2000s might have a different perspective on shows like "Rugrats" compared to those that were prevalent during their era. In the years following the 9/11 tragedy, there was indeed a notable shift in the tone of media and entertainment. Many people were seeking edgier and more fast-paced content, and there was a shift away from what might be perceived as "cute" or more traditionally family-oriented programming. This cultural shift could have contributed to a preference for humor-driven and edgier shows.

"Rugrats," while not necessarily cutesy, might have appeared that way due to its central premise, which revolves around the adventures of babies. At first glance, it could be seen as a show for younger audiences. However, what sets "Rugrats" apart is its ability to work on multiple levels. While it does offer cute and endearing moments, it also delves into more complex themes and humor that can resonate with both children and adults.

[classic swim]

SwimShady
I had a slightly similar occasional thought that was brewing for years about Ren & Stimpy. Way different circumstances with the creator being outed, but R&S also went from historical animation blowhard territory to just being obscure online cartoonist angst.

But I also think more people in general are wising up to the idea that there was much more besides Nick.

I’m the one 90s kid that could go the rest of my life without ever having to look at a Nicktoon ever again.

If I wasn’t exposed to Looney Tunes and Scooby and Garfield and Simpsons and a crap load of other stuff around that same time... then maybe I’d believe Rugrats and its ilk to be the best thing ever. But I just don’t.

This thread’s kinda just listing off our own preferences, and mine probably won’t be any rule of thumb but there ya go.

My 90s fever also isn’t as rampant as it was several years ago. And I’m stuck in the apocalypse right now so that’s saying something.

I used to love Rugrats when I was a kid, but not so much now because I grew out of it, and I don't think it wasn't as good of a Nicktoon I thought it was. There are much better Nicktoons out there than Rugrats like Rocko's Modern Life, and hell, even Hey Arnold is better at times.

I have not seen the 2021 reboot, and I have no interest in seeing it.

I can't really say Rugrats is going through a reputable decline as long the franchise is making Paramount money. If they didn't, they would've drop it years ago. However, if you are talking about the quality? Sure, I'd give you that.

P.S: I did not like Angelica either. Screw her.
I never got quite that. Craig Bartlett also contributed to "Rugrats," and there were several shared writers between the two series. It's important to acknowledge that without the success and influence of "Rugrats," "Hey Arnold" might never have come into existence. These two shows share similarities in their storytelling approaches, although "Hey Arnold" may venture into slightly darker themes, which is understandable given the older age of the characters.

Much of the criticism directed toward "Rugrats," in my opinion, stems from a broader issue of viewer fatigue with Nickelodeon's reliance on nostalgia and existing properties. It's crucial to note that this is not the fault of the show itself but rather a reflection of the current state of the entertainment industry. The industry tends to prioritize what is currently marketable, making it challenging for original concepts to gain traction. Furthermore, the decision to reboot "Rugrats" was not made by the new leadership at Nickelodeon but by the previous management.

Interestingly, the idea of a "Rugrats" reboot seems to have sparked more controversy now than it did in the past. However, it's worth emphasizing that "Rugrats" has been devoid of new content since the early 2000s, and a significant amount of time has passed. Consequently, there is a legitimate argument to be made for the show's revival, especially considering the creative intent and the differences and changes introduced in the reboot. It's not a mere rehash but a reimagining with a valid reason to exist.

Despite some shifts in online consensus, "Rugrats" remains popular with today's children, demonstrating its continued profitability and viewership numbers. However, it's evident that the show's status has evolved from being the most beloved 90s Nicktoon to a perception of being somewhat childish in the eyes of some.

I had a slightly similar occasional thought that was brewing for years about Ren & Stimpy. Way different circumstances with the creator being outed, but R&S also went from historical animation blowhard territory to just being obscure online cartoonist angst.

But I also think more people in general are wising up to the idea that there was much more besides Nick.

I’m the one 90s kid that could go the rest of my life without ever having to look at a Nicktoon ever again.

If I wasn’t exposed to Looney Tunes and Scooby and Garfield and Simpsons and a crap load of other stuff around that same time... then maybe I’d believe Rugrats and its ilk to be the best thing ever. But I just don’t.

This thread’s kinda just listing off our own preferences, and mine probably won’t be any rule of thumb but there ya go.

My 90s fever also isn’t as rampant as it was several years ago. And I’m stuck in the apocalypse right now so that’s saying something.

I understand your perspective on how the perception of certain animated series, such as "Ren & Stimpy," has shifted over time, with the controversies it's gotten into In the case of "Rugrats," it's worth noting that the creators and those involved with the show haven't faced controversies or negative revelations that could lead to a revisionist view. (Except Arlene Klasky's fall out with Paul Germain but the two have made up) Instead, the changing perception of "Rugrats" might be attributed to evolving tastes and preferences, as well as a recognition that there was a wide array of animated content beyond Nickelodeon during the '90s.

Your background of being raised on classics like Looney Tunes, Scooby-Doo, Garfield, and The Simpsons adds another layer to your perspective. These iconic shows have undoubtedly left an indelible mark on the animation landscape and can influence how one evaluates other series. However, it's important to remember that personal tastes in entertainment are highly subjective and shaped by individual experiences.

[classic swim]

SwimShady
I understand your perspective on how the perception of certain animated series, such as "Ren & Stimpy," has shifted over time, with the controversies it's gotten into In the case of "Rugrats," it's worth noting that the creators and those involved with the show haven't faced controversies or negative revelations that could lead to a revisionist view. (Except Arlene Klasky's fall out with Paul Germain but the two have made up) Instead, the changing perception of "Rugrats" might be attributed to evolving tastes and preferences, as well as a recognition that there was a wide array of animated content beyond Nickelodeon during the '90s.

Your background of being raised on classics like Looney Tunes, Scooby-Doo, Garfield, and The Simpsons adds another layer to your perspective. These iconic shows have undoubtedly left an indelible mark on the animation landscape and can influence how one evaluates other series. However, it's important to remember that personal tastes in entertainment are highly subjective and shaped by individual experiences.

As I mentioned near the end of my original post, this thread was already riddled with subjective tastes long before I got here. You don’t have to take my word for it.

In fact, I’d like to say that I think you’re proving your own case reasonably well.

I both appreciate and salute you for actually knowing the ins n’ outs of Rugrats, because I shamelessly do not.

I believe with Ren & Stimpy also, some others had to have been exhausted from constantly parading it around on the internet like it invented the concept of cartooning.

I don’t think it was just controversy that nerfed this brand’s reputation including Rugrats.

I guess it depends on whether or not you have any experience with pre 2015 online culture. Because it was suffocating for this topic.

You had that nauseating crowd already thriving from John K and his blog, plus every pop outlet wanting Nickelodeon worshipped and in your mouth.

And by shy association, I feel some newfound resentment might’ve involuntarily happened with the rest of the old school Nick stuff as well.

Like yes, it was all a Renaissance... but some were tired of stroking the ego of said Renaissance.

Public opinion and chatty computer chit-chat shouldn’t turn you off from products themselves obviously.

And nothing I say would hurt the casual nostalgic fan with a vape pen, weed gummies and a bootleg hoodie with every single Nick character plastered on. Just that if you’ve been around the particular talk then it’s another story.

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
Wow alright. Rugrats is my favorite Nicktoon of all time, loved it when I was kid, loved it now. My favorite Rugrat is Chuckie. Of the OG 3 Nicktoons, I liked Rugrats, I liked Doug, didn't like Ren and Stimpy, never could get into it. It was time to change the channel when Nick did reruns.

I haven't seen much Rugrats discourse at all, so I can say if anything is going down in reputation or not.

The original series is again my favorite Nicktoon. Why? The concept on paper sounds dull, insane, uninteresting, but what was done was well done. The show takes things we see normally and presents a different view to it, which is fun and uses the idea of imagination to a strength.

Season 1 itself has a lot of episodes where it's like Tommy going to baseball game , and for a cartoon that might not be fun, but here he goes around unintentionally gets into and causes chaos. The babies go to the movies and unintentionally cause mass chaos. The Touchdown episode is amazing, it just uses Tommy's house and a bottle of chocolate milk and does a fun story.

It also does it's adult characters to be interesting it didn't even have to do that. They did. Grandpa Lou Pickles is easily one of the funniest adults on the show. He has some great lines, he's shown to also be very caring and smart. I love the episode he goes out becomes a detective when Tommy gets picked up by two weird ladies. Chuckie's Dad, is the one I think is the best parent on the show, he's a single Dad (for most of the OG Series) cares about his son alot, knows his fears, came back in the dead of night because he knew his son would be terrified of a storm. The adults have a nuance to them, they could have just made them nothing or gone with boring things, but all of them are interesting.

The baby characters are pretty nuanced and interesting, though I will say Tommy and Chuckie are the strongest of the main 4. Angelica gets hate, I know, even Arlene Klasky didn't like her, but you kind of need a force that's against our characters or guides the story, and the way her parents are, explain alot.

I'm not a big fan of like Dil and Kimmy eras of the show because it felt like too much and it was weird to me even then, that Dil couldn't talk or something , what were the rules?!

The show did a balance well too, it wasn't high energy and beat by beat jokes like Ren and Stimpy, it didn't even do that much gross out. It wasn't tonally slice of life like Doug (a show I think gets put down but I think is strong) it had a mixture of both humor, slice of life, and imagination.

Chuckie is my favorite, he's a well thought out character, he's the eldest of the 4 main babies, his stories were always very interesting. Chuckie's Wonderful Life, feels like a love letter to him.

Also, I don't think any other show on this Earth could get me to feel bad that someone's pet bug died like this show did. Or do a funny episode about Tommy being kidnapped (which is weird to say). I could go on.

Not of what it was , should have worked, but I think it did. Yeah, I grew up in era where older cartoons like Looney Tunes was on a basic cable channel and love classic toons and shows, Rugrats to me is a classic show too. I can remember whole episodes and moments, even know. (Though I watch it frequently, that might be it too.) I do think it did get over saturated, but I can understand why, Nick was new at this and had hit, but that doesn't mean it wasn't fully warranted when people loved it.

On the remake thing, I'm not a fan of it, but I don't moan about it existing, hope it creates new fans and maybe they'll check out the OG too. I'm turned off by the characters being in 3D, I don't think it works for them, and the coloring it just seems darker than the original series, it bothers me. I'm not sure about some of the changes. But there's nothing too be too harsh about it.

Pooky

Staff member
I believe with Ren & Stimpy also, some others had to have been exhausted from constantly parading it around on the internet like it invented the concept of cartooning.

You had that nauseating crowd already thriving from John K and his blog, plus every pop outlet wanting Nickelodeon worshipped and in your mouth.

And by shy association, I feel some newfound resentment might’ve involuntarily happened with the rest of the old school Nick stuff as well.

Like yes, it was all a Renaissance... but some were tired of stroking the ego of said Renaissance.

Yes, even before the bombshell article people were already beginning to question John K; why Adult Party Cartoon turned out so bad even when he had full control, why he'd produced so little else in 20+ years and why most of what he had made was so poor, why Cans Without Labels was taking so long, those creepy DVD intros etc. Not to mention his infamous DVD commentaries for Popeye and Looney Tunes shorts.

CNNickFan

Invader Zim
Yes, even before the bombshell article people were already beginning to question John K; why Adult Party Cartoon turned out so bad even when he had full control, why he'd produced so little else in 20+ years and why most of what he had made was so poor, why Cans Without Labels was taking so long, those creepy DVD intros etc. Not to mention his infamous DVD commentaries for Popeye and Looney Tunes shorts.
It's crazy, because if none if this stuff happened, then the Ren & Stimpy franchise could have been considered one of the biggest pop culture icons of the time. It still kinda was, to some extent, but imagine if production wasn't so dysfunctional, and John K. isn't the questionable being he is, and his views on animation were a lot more grounded.

But nope, it died as quickly as it got off the ground. And for the past 20 years, they've been so desperate to try to bring it back to an audience that's not there anymore.

The Rugrats reboot is successful because the original Rugrats was one of the most play-it-safe things of all time, and I don't think it'll ever truly become "outdated." And the audience (kids) will always be there to watch it, for whatever reason.

I can name almost every R&S episode from season 1, but after that... there are some episodes I didn't even know existed! (And this is partly Nick's fault, some eps were unaired or aired WAY after the show ended, or not aired in reruns at all)

But with Rugrats, there are just so many iconic episodes after the first season... the one where Angelica breaks her leg, the one where she tries to run away, the Mega Diaper Babies episode, the one where Chuckie's bug dies, the episode that introduced Suzie... even some post-dil episodes are iconic, like Angelicon, Runaway Reptar and Mother's Day.

Moe

My sister and I love Rugrats when they aired on Nick in 1990s and we watch Rugrats movie in 1998, even my parents offer me to watch Enemy of the State and I turned it down because of my sister. The popularity of Rugrats was overshadowed by Pokémon and as for me in 1999, Pokémon, first and Rugrats, second. I lost interest in Rugrats slightly after enter into teen era and watch Rugrats again when they aired on newly launched, Nicktoons channel in between 2002 and 2003, along with series of older Nick game shows on GaS. Later in 2003, I lost interest in Rugrats as I'm interested in reality shows on MTV and they were popular until late 2000s and lost the popularity completely in 2011 that led to lost my interest in MTV. I went back to watch Rugrats on TeenNick under The '90s Are All That block. The quality of cable TV peaked in 2000s and started to decline after 2010s, despite popular scripted shows like The Walking Dead and FX shows.

There are people love and hate Rugrats.

Spotlight

Members online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

It's such a shame that the anime with the long-pink-haired girls like Hinagiku Katsura and Bocchi are never officially dubbed into English. What do you think?
Vuxovich wrote on Yojimbo's profile.
Do you know why Bocchi the Rock! wasn't dubbed into English? Is this because of the strong Japanese setting or something else?
Notable fact about one of the new characters introduced in the second season of Star Trek: Prodigy is that she's named after franchise creator Gene Roddenberry's wife Majel Barrett.
I'm burned out from binge watching new stuff, hence I'm planning to watch three episodes per day for the final two seasons of The Dragon Prince starting with the upcoming sixth season Book Six: Stars later this month because Netflix really should've went the weekly episode format.
I did plan to post my thoughts on Tales of the Empire on the Tales of the Jedi talkback thread two months ago, but I decided to post it here, so I saw it and found Barriss' storyline to be the best of the two, hence given the ending, I hope she appears in Ahsoka season 2.

Featured Posts