Is Rugrats going through another reputational decline?

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
I like Hey Arnold! a good bit, but I think it's somewhat overrated. A lot of fans like to think the show entirely consists of episodes like "Arnold's Christmas" and "Helga on the Couch", which are rarities, and that it's a complex series because sometimes it depicts unhappy families. It's hardly The Sopranos, guys.

And the older I get, the more I prefer the earlier episodes when Arnold had more of a 90's slacker attitude to him, albeit one with a heart of gold, rather than the pure-hearted everyman who adults came to for help.

Speaking for myself first, I did watch a lot of Rugrats as a kid and loved it. However, looking back at it as an adult now, it’s still good, but I started appreciating better unique 90s Nicktoons like Rocko’s Modern Life, Hey Arnold!, The Angry Beavers, and The Wild Thornberrys more. I guess I outgrew the concept of babies being imaginative in their own little world as I got older.

I do still watch Rugrats every now and then, but I wouldn’t really call it a favorite of mine (at least not currently). Can’t speak for the 2021 reboot since I haven’t seen much of it, although I will say that the CGI animation and character models look pretty good.

As for the franchise itself going through another decline, I would probably agree with you there. The 2021 reboot isn’t seemingly talked about enough from both the kids of this current generation and the adults who grew up watching the original series (although they’re still very nostalgic for the OG series). Even Nick doesn’t seem to care about the franchise as much as they used to, since they rarely air reruns of both the reboot (even though it’s a Paramount+ original) and the original series on the main network and Nicktoons nowadays. That being said, Rugrats is still a relatively popular franchise even in 2023, but I would say it’s long past its prime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rocko and Arnold, often hailed as prime examples of superior 90s cartoons, maintain their esteemed status due to their relatively low-profile presence compared to Rugrats. While Rugrats dominated 90s nostalgia and faced intense marketing efforts from Nickelodeon, contributing to a potential distortion of its historical significance, Rocko and Arnold benefited from a more subdued promotional approach.

Contrary to popular belief, Rugrats' reboot isn't a failure; it resonates well with contemporary children and performs admirably on Paramount+. The lack of attention and discussions stem from misguided perceptions about reboots and the overshadowing effect of existing properties. Despite facing challenges, when I shared clips of the reboot back when I was on Twitter, it garnered positive attention, hinting at a potential shift in public opinion if it had debuted during the peak of similar successful revivals. (DuckTales, Muppet Babies)

Rugrats' appeal extends beyond showcasing the world through a baby's eyes; it incorporates unique visuals, well-developed adult characters, and explores emotional and family-centric themes. The reboot, if given time, may find greater appreciation in the future, maybe long after it potentially ends. The current indifference and disappointment among fans, driven by external factors like Nick's controversies and nostalgia reliance, underscore missed opportunities for the show's resurgence.

As a devoted Rugrats fan, it's disheartening to witness the reboot's unintended consequences. Hopes for a triumphant return, providing fans with fresh content without betraying the original spirit, have been thwarted by circumstances beyond the show's control. Despite the delays caused by various issues, there's a lingering belief that the reboot could have gained more traction if released in earlier years, fostering a more positive and engaging online discourse.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

It's such a shame that the anime with the long-pink-haired girls like Hinagiku Katsura and Bocchi are never officially dubbed into English. What do you think?
Vuxovich wrote on Yojimbo's profile.
Do you know why Bocchi the Rock! wasn't dubbed into English? Is this because of the strong Japanese setting or something else?
Notable fact about one of the new characters introduced in the second season of Star Trek: Prodigy is that she's named after franchise creator Gene Roddenberry's wife Majel Barrett.
I'm burned out from binge watching new stuff, hence I'm planning to watch three episodes per day for the final two seasons of The Dragon Prince starting with the upcoming sixth season Book Six: Stars later this month because Netflix really should've went the weekly episode format.
I did plan to post my thoughts on Tales of the Empire on the Tales of the Jedi talkback thread two months ago, but I decided to post it here, so I saw it and found Barriss' storyline to be the best of the two, hence given the ending, I hope she appears in Ahsoka season 2.

Featured Posts