"Kung Fu Panda 4" News and Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

KeldeoKitty

Slacker Musketeer
Kung Fu Panda is my favorite Dreamworks movie so hopefully 4 is good enough given Shrek’s later movies we’re not as good. Maybe like the last Kung Fu Panda it’ll be co-produced with Pearl Studio.

Frontier

Staff member
I was actually kind of wondering if they'd ever release another Kung Fu Panda film...and there we go :D.

I hope this is a worthy follow up to the original trilogy :).

Silverstar

Strong to th' Finnich
Apart from the TV shows and movies, I think Kung Fu Panda is getting spread a little thin (I think Dreamworks should be making KFP movie sequels or TV and streaming shows, not both) but I know that's just the nature of the biz: when a product is successful, keep pumping it until the balloon bursts and everyone backs off. However, if people are still willing to pay for more of a franchise, then a studio is within their right to exploit it.

Frontier

Staff member
Apart from the TV shows and movies, I think Kung Fu Panda is getting spread a little thin (I think Dreamworks should be making KFP movie sequels or TV and streaming shows, not both) but I know that's just the nature of the biz: when a product is successful, keep pumping it until the balloon bursts and everyone backs off. However, if people are still willing to pay for more of a franchise, then a studio is within their right to exploit it.
To a certain extent I feel like there's a creative distinction between the films (and by extension the shorts with the movie cast in it) and the cartoons, so I think as long as they can keep the quality on par with the films, it should be good :).

Pooky

Staff member
I was surprised to see this, as it was my impression that the sequels were considered to be commercially somewhat disappointing. I seem to even recall that Katzenberg was talking up making as many as 6 films in the lead up to the release of the second, but that after the returns came in they decided to make 3 a kind of finale.

Looking it up it seems 2 and especially 3 did weaker business in pretty much every country in the world...except in China, where the third in particular was a smash hit. That'll be it then.

I enjoyed these movies at the time but they haven't stayed with me. Like a lot of second tier animated films from the past 15 or so years, the plots and most of the characters weren't all that memorable, and the jokes and comedy are not quite creative enough for it to stand out on that level. I mainly remember a couple of emotional beats from the second I thought were well done, along with the "my worst enemy...stairs" gag, so I guess I'd tip my hat towards the second being the high point of the series. Always thought the character designs were a bit ugly too. I'm not against seeing a fourth, but I've had The Dragon Knight waiting for me on Netfilx for the past month and haven't got around to it yet, so I suspect it won't be a priority. Great if James Hong is getting more work though.

Apart from the TV shows and movies, I think Kung Fu Panda is getting spread a little thin (I think Dreamworks should be making KFP movie sequels or TV and streaming shows, not both)

Yeah, I think Dreamworks have got unstuck with their TV shows devaluing their films a few times,, particularly with this series and the Dragon films and with the Penguins of Madagascar movie. I think the downgrade in production values for CG animated series like these is not as obvious to the average viewer as it was for, say, the Aladdin TV series in the 90s, and as a result I think kids maybe don't see the big screen outings as being as special or exciting as they might have otherwise (or perhaps it's just that they're parents aren't as prepared to drive to or fork out for a screening). We've heard recently that the Boss Baby series is supposedly a model performer on Netflix, but that didn't seem to help the second film much at the Box Office.

I think this is one area where Illumination has been smarter than Dreamworks. Yes, their characters are licenced within an inch of their lives, and the films are hyped to a degree that seems excessive for their modest charms, but the line they haven't crossed is turning their shows into TV series, so when Rise of Gru was released it felt like an event because it was the first substantive project with those characters in 5 years

With Jack Black having returned to voice Po in The Dragon Knight, I can't help but think the lines between "major" and "minor" Kung-Fu Panda works have been blurred further still, but I guess we'll see how this film does in about a year and a half.

harry580

sorry for being late for the announmcent, but I can't wait for it as kung fu panda is my favorite franchise

harry580

I can't wait for this movie!

& also, will this movie still feature the whole time traveling thing that the director hinted about?

Spotlight

Staff online

Members online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Has anyone seen PSI Cops last night?

(cricket noises)

Yeah, I still can't believe that was a thing.
Paramount and Skydance have officially merged. Does this mean that Brian Robbins got the boot?
Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes

Featured Posts