Like it or not Warner Discovery is extremely happy with the current way Adult Swim runs

Goldstar!

All right-y!
It's no secret that I'm not a fan of the "Adult Swim Takeover". AS starting at 5 PM (EST) is dumb to me. If the channel must operate under a single unified branding, I think that said branding should be Cartoon Network, not Adult Swim. Cartoon Network is just a better all-inclusive channel name. AS should stay at late nights, where it belongs.

However, I will say that it's good to see the channel enjoying any kind of success at all. I just that Warner Discovery had many kind of invested interest in the CN side of the channel. If WBD has no interest in growing the CN side, then they should retire the label and just make the whole channel Adult Swim.

Last edited:

Silverstar

Kooky Spooky
By no means do I wish ill of Adult Swim; I'm happy it's doing well for Warner Bros Discovery. I do watch My Adventures with Superman and Smiling Friends. I just wish they'd show this same level of care and enthusiasm for the Cartoon Network side of the channel as well.

For those who complain that MAWS should be airing on CN, I don't think it would have attracted the desired audience there. Hard truth: CN hasn't been inviting to action for several years now, and WBD seems to be restructuring CN to be mainly for kid friendly comedies and preschool fare (the jury's still out on Iyanu), and if that means new and established all-ages IPs have a home and get the proper exposure or care, then I'm fine with this arrangement. I just don't think ACME Night should be under the AS banner as it was meant for families to view together. Other than that, cool.

Last edited:

aegisrawks

It's no secret that I'm not a fan of the "Adult Swim Takeover". AS starting at 5 PM (EST) is dumb to me. If the channel must operate under a single unified branding, I think that said branding should be Cartoon Network, not Adult Swim. AS should stay at late nights, where it belongs.

However, I will say that it's good to see the channel enjoying any kind of success at all. I just that Warner Discovery had many kind of invested interest in the CN side of the channel.
To be honest, the article does not mention the 5PM Adult Swim slots, only actual late night stuff.

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
Pretty much. Now, to be fair, I was aggravated about Adult Swim's major presence in the past because it took time away for Cartoon Network to have anything new and exciting for them. This is not a knock on Adult Swim since I don't have a problem with them at all. I just don't like when WBD over-emphasize Adult Swim than anything else.

With that being said, I can definitely understand why WBD focus on AS over CN. For a long time, CN had been going through a Catch-22 situation. Kids are not watching CN anymore because there's nothing good on the channel. On the other hand, CN refused to put anything good on the channel because no one is watching them. Cartoon Network had such a bad reputation for being the place that air Gumball/TTG all day long for the past several years that it's hard to salvage the brand that has been tarnished by incompetent executives.

At least with Adult Swim, they let shows have a chance to thrive, being experimental, preserves their own library, and embracing their own image without falling back on the market research. Does it mean I agree with every decision that Adult Swim has made? Of course not, but at least they care about animation as a art form for all ages than Cartoon Network do.

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
I saw the thread title and just thought, "Well...yeah." They expanded it by three hours and are more putting on a greater variety of programming than we've seen before. They're even debuting CN originals (or rather, what were meant to be) on there. It would only make sense for the higher-ups to put more focus into AS.

aegisrawks

I saw the thread title and just thought, "Well...yeah." They expanded it by three hours and are more putting on a greater variety of programming than we've seen before. They're even debuting CN originals (or rather, what were meant to be) on there. It would only make sense for the higher-ups to put more focus into AS.
Well yeah, the new information is that its actually working and Adult Swim is a success and not just a doomed venture.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
In terms of if kid shows on Adult Swim is really a good idea, they are shooting exactly 50% from the floor. Nobody cared about Unicorn Warriors Eternal, yet My Adventures with Superman has been a popular show. Kids' action show fans, I think it's too early to celebrate the genre's victory as Invincible Fight Girl hasn't aired yet. If that show succeeds, then we can say that this experiment was a success.

TheGuy

I'm Just TheGuy
I mean of course I'm happy for the success of Adult Swim currently and could see why they are making it a priority but I wish that they could have that same love and care for CN. On the kids side maybe go for sligthly more mature series but not inapprpriate since that could maybe bring some kids in and older audiences or really just market CN on streaming since people don't really watch TV anymore

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Superman is Superman. For that to tank it would have to be trash.

Beware the Batman is interesting in that it tanked on both Cartoon Network and presumably Adult Swim too as it became a tax write off. I haven't seen as Toonami fans give as much backlash and "kids shows suck" remarks towards My Adventures with Superman, but it could be because Toonami would be in deep poop without it. The fact that "what if Superman was a romcom anime" is a more interesting premise than "what if Batman fought C list villains" also helped.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Beware the Batman is interesting in that it tanked on both Cartoon Network and presumably Adult Swim too as it became a tax write off. I haven't seen as Toonami fans give as much backlash and "kids shows suck" remarks towards My Adventures with Superman, but it could be because Toonami would be in deep poop without it. The fact that "what if Superman was a romcom anime" is a more interesting premise than "what if Batman fought C list villains" also helped.
I think it also helps that there haven't been as many Superman animated series compared to Batman. There have been animated movies, but I don't think we've had a proper Superman animated series since STAS. The CGI designs in Beware the Batman were a bit more off putting for fans as well. I can't remember if the ratings were really that low for it when it did move to Toonami. Cartoon Network has done tax write offs before.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
I think it also helps that there haven't been as many Superman animated series compared to Batman. There have been animated movies, but I don't think we've had a proper Superman animated series since STAS. The CGI designs in Beware the Batman were a bit more off putting for fans as well. I can't remember if the ratings were really that low for it when it did move to Toonami. Cartoon Network has done tax write offs before.

I would think that if Beware the Batman did do well enough on Adult Swim, it could have avoided being a tax write off. The Adult Swim airings of Sym Bionic Titan and Thundercats apparently didn't do well enough to help the shows avoid being tax write offs. Getting a third season is clearly bucking a trend when it comes to Cartoon Network's unwanted babies that aired on Adult Swim.

aegisrawks

Now I really want to see Adventures of Superman with a souped up Adult Swim Original budget, say whatever you will about about most other Adult Swim Originals but when they are 2D The animation is AMAZING.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Name one studio, brand or company that has gone bankrupt as a result of embracing diversity. Just one. I'll wait.

Very interesting. It's great to see that Ouweleen wanted to push Adult Swim internationally.
PinkieLopBun breathed sanity into my mind. CN isnt THAT BAD after all then.
aegisrawks wrote on Mejo's profile.
Where is that lil mouse from he's super cute!
Considering the very unpredictable nature of the cartoon industry, where shows are getting cancelled very abruptly, I’m starting to get worried nowadays whenever a cartoon today ends a season with a hook for the next one or a cliffhanger, considering how many of them go unresolved.

Featured Posts