Media nostalgia quirks you have

AnimatedFan01

What are some peculiar things related to media which you have a sentimentality towards due to the nostalgia they give you to your childhood/a good time? Childhood nostalgia can make one sentimental about the most mundane of things that they wouldn't feel about such things today due to modernism.

Here's a breakdown of such things pertaining to my personal childhood nostalgia which may seem odd to others:

-Looking up old TV guides.

Ever since I was little and knew how to operate a remote control (around 4), I've been enamored with the looks of TV schedules and would always browse through them and check out the various show titles/information pertaining to the episode/release date/rating/time airing. I grew up with DISH Network for the most part, then had DirecTV for a good several months before my family eventually ended our cable subscription. The DISH remote navigation in general fascinated me, as I would frequently use the skip-back option for scenes I missed, and DVR certain shows I wouldn't be around to watch during their live airings.

I also had an interest in seeing the TV listings in the newspaper, since they dealt with primetime or nighttime showings, and more of my TV nostalgia comes from that time slot since I stood up late frequently as a young kid just to watch TV.

-DVRing shows

One interesting thing that happened whenever my family used the DVR function to record certain airings was that sometimes it would show the last few minutes of the show airing previous to the recorded one, for some odd reason. But yeah, I had an odd fascination with seeing the final minutes and commercial break/promo-attached credits of the previous show and then watching it transition into the one I recorded.

-CN Sign-off/Adult Swim Sign-on

Now this one is far less out of the norm, but anyone who was young in the 2000s can agree that it was cool to witness the abrupt transition from a kid-friendly network into an adult-oriented block, and how the room would darken up into silence as the parental advisory warnings for AS showed up before the intro for Futurama or Family Guy played. It was like transcending into another dimension.

It was also intriguing to see the last CN show and the first AS show listed next to each on the schedule guide, especially if it was a show I was actively watching (e.g Foster's, Billy and Mandy). Seeing Foster's next to a TV-MA Robot Chicken at one point in '08 was pretty cool.

One thing that also intrigues me on a related note is looking up these CN sign-off/AS sign-on videos on YouTube and seeing the last CN show's title in the information panel that appears briefly on the screen when you change the channel, even when the Adult Swim parental advisory has just started (only changing titles once the intro for the first AS show plays).

And I have a fondness for old commercial breaks, TV/computer startups and shutoffs, the evolution of logos, TV airing screenbugs, but all those are pretty popular among the nostalgia community, while I seem to be in the minority of those fascinated with abrupt cutoff points/transitions.

Last edited:

Zorak Masaki

I enjoy looking up old tv guides too. It was especially interesting seeing what was airing late at night/early morning, and what channels showed content (TBS used to show a LOT of obscure movies in the late night time slot) and which ones just showed infomercials (I still scroll through the channel guide listings on my DVR occasionally just to see what certain channels are showing in the early morning hours). Something else I find interesting are pre-emption notices (ie, Show X will not be seen tonight so we can show you this presentation). Some networks would have fun with those:

Spacething7474

Modern Fairly OddParents’ strongest soldier
Staff member
playing games at the lowest graphics and resolution possible, alongside 4:3 preferring, to the point where i have a whole my list on my channel dedicated to searching for videos that fit that criteria. check it out!:
there’s also save files/icons that the ps2, 3ds, gamecube, and other consoles have. this i also have a playlist for!:

themidnightlore

That one that banters over Sony's TV channels
Staff member
I do have one "obsession" with wishing to find on the internet scans of this old Italian magazine about everything Satellite TV and stuff, aptly named Satellite. I do have, for some reason, some mad nostalgia over that, must be because it did have a big section devoted to TV guides for whatever pay TV existed in Italy when the numbers were published (and one back cover with an illustration of Cosmo and Wanda from FOP for publicizing Jetix (I think) is still rent free in my mind after years and years.)

Violt

Now this one is far less out of the norm, but anyone who was young in the 2000s can agree that it was cool to witness the abrupt transition from a kid-friendly network into an adult-oriented block, and how the room would darken up into silence as the parental advisory warnings for AS showed up before the intro for Futurama or Family Guy played. It was like transcending into another dimension.

The CN transition to AS. I followed it from 2002 to either 2006 or 2007. Those were the days. I stopped sometime in the late 2000s. I haven't paid much attention since I stopped, but I do know that the network started putting in shows that they otherwise wouldn't in earlier years.

My taste in anime has grown quite a lot since my days of following CN/AS. I'm into series that won't get pushed to the casual fans or mainstream audience.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes
Xilam is one of my most favourite animation studios, I enjoy alot of their cartoons from Hubert and Takako, Oggy and the Cockroaches and Zig and Sharko. Xilam is a studio that has inspired many and has created endless classics that we enjoy.

What's your most fond memory of Xilam?
Given how Drew Barrymore's production company Flower Films has mainly made live action projects for older audiences, them producing the TV special Olive The Other Reindeer and the Netflix preschool show Princess Power are definitely quite unusual. It would certainly explain the humor of the latter.
According to TVInsider, MTV2 will premiere Sponge on the Run movie on Sat Jul 13 at 6pm

Featured Posts