"MeTV Toons" Network Launching on June 25th

Silverstar

Kooky Spooky
Disney lending their cartoons to someone like Weigel or starting their own OTA digital net are both good ideas, but realistically Disney is not going to give away their content for free, especially nowadays. They want everyone subscribed to Disney+.

Anyway, I saw Andre's interview last night. It's impressive to see how much MeTV Toons is able to get, especially given how expensive some of these shows are. The fact that the current holders of Mr. Magoo had to be informed that they even owned Mr. Magoo is proof positive of why we need channels and initiatives like this.

Moe

Disney lending their cartoons to someone like Weigel or starting their own OTA digital net are both good ideas, but realistically Disney is not going to give away their content for free, especially nowadays. They want everyone subscribed to Disney+.
Before Disney+, Disney made app to allow viewers to watch shorts for free, but they come and go.

I don't anticipate that Disney is going to sell broadcast rights for shorts or shows to third party, but it would be miracle if it goes happen. DuckTales on MeTV Toons? 2% chance and Disney shorts on MeTV Toons? under 1% chance. TMNT on MeTV Toons? likely 25% chance.

TCM is unusual and it is for special events 4 times per year, so not anymore after Disney+ launched.

If demand for Disney+ gets slow or not many watch shorts or shows, so Disney likely to put on their own FAST in case if they create one.

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
They did with TCM in the past, prior to launch of Disney+.

Their deal with TCM was a bit of a back-scratching one, as the channel became a sponsor of sorts for The Great Movie Ride over in Walt Disney World’s Hollywood Studios during its last years; Robert Osbourne even made a narration to go with the ride.

I don’t see Disney allowing another project like this again anytime soon unfortunately- notice how this block was dropped when Disney+ dropped.

ToonRo

I've been wondering as to why the Tom and Jerry shorts with Mammy don't air.
After seeing part of the interview where they talk about how some cartoons would air either censored (parts edited/removed), or not at all, now I know why.

This reminded me of how back in the 60s, Mammy would get replaced with another character.

I guess no one liked that change, that even the edited versions of those shorts don't air today on Boomerang, MeTV Toons, etc.

JMTV

Tater Tot!
Twitter nowadays is broken to the point where you need an account to see more than just the tweet that was linked.
Yeah, I find that such a terrible decision on Twitter's part because the whole site is public anyway, but I digress.
I have a different suggestion, they make their own Me TV Toons esque broadcast digi net, with all day airings of the Disney Classic shorts and the Disney Afternoon.
That would be cool, but knowing Disney, they're probably not going to since they're heavily focusing on Disney+. Granted, I heard some of the Disney shorts did air on TCM, but that didn't last very long.
The fact that the current holders of Mr. Magoo had to be informed that they even owned Mr. Magoo is proof positive of why we need channels and initiatives like this.
Yeah, that's why I'm glad that MeTV Toons exists because they were handled by people who actually cares. During the time when big companies sat on lesser known properties and do nothing with them, Weigel swept in and save those cartoons from obscurity. If MeTV Toons becomes a big hit, studios will have to take notes to actually care about their old properties because to me, it's not fair to sat on them while collecting dust. Just use them to their advantage. It may be expensive, but it's definitely worth pursuing and it'll work out in the long run.

I know I'm sounding like a broken record, but I wish WB could do the same thing with CN Classics library. Adult Swim can only go so far. I'm not saying making a over the air broadcast channel, but at least showcase their classic properties some love and where its easily accessible and not just behind a paywall. Sure, there's Hulu and Netflix, but they're very limited for what they got. Yes, there's physical media, and that's great, but not everyone collects DVDs and some of them were expensive, for what I've heard. Streaming is the only option now since that's what people goes to nowadays. It's sucks that WBD dropped the ball hard on their venture, but I digress.

Never seen the interview, but I do see the cliff notes. Yeah, really cool stuff.

Though, it's kinda a shame that Tiny Toons and Animaniacs is not going to come to MeTV Toons, but it is to be expected due to how expensive the licensing were.

Moe

Yeah, I find that such a terrible decision on Twitter's part because the whole site is public anyway, but I digress.
Yeah, I'm unable to read all of Twitter because I don't have their account and I want to thank to member for shared the screenshots of Twitter posts.

Their deal with TCM was a bit of a back-scratching one, as the channel became a sponsor of sorts for The Great Movie Ride over in Walt Disney World’s Hollywood Studios during its last years; Robert Osbourne even made a narration to go with the ride.
They are rarity and I had to address because one of poster said never, and I had to point about what TCM did is rarity and unusual - 4 events per year is much less generous than air monthly, twice per month or once per week. There is no doubt that Disney is completely strict with their properties, especially Disney branded shorts and shows.

Prior to TCM's Treasures from the Disney Vault, last old Disney contents aired on TV were on Disney Channel's Vault Disney that discontinued in 2002. Have Disney+ allow viewers to watch old contents but they missed many contents that haven't seen since Vault Disney closed and some haven't since premium era in 1990s.

I said about Disney should stop hoarding their properties are my personal opinion and I don't expect Disney to change their tune, even Weigel tried hard and that isn't going to change anything.

I'm just leave up to patrons to determine if Disney+ is worth to watch old contents and if it wasn't for demand or unwilling to pay a high price, so Disney would have to reconsider their strategy, such as put on their own FAST that is one of quick fix, however new contents aren't going to be on FAST at all because of high cost to make new contents.

I don’t see Disney allowing another project like this again anytime soon unfortunately- notice how this block was dropped when Disney+ dropped.
Me neither - mentioned in post #862 (second paragraph).

I thought syndication station or independent station did air old Disney Afternoon shows back in 90s, branded or not.

Neal says even stuff owned by Disney but not under the Disney brand are almost impossible. I think they're referring to the Fox Kids shows.
Not surprised at all. Disney only allow general/adult shows (20th Century, ABC) to enter the syndication or license out to third party but as for Disney, Fox Kids and Saban are big no.

Could they maybe air the Public Domain Disney shorts at least?

Possibly but Weigel would have to make a block that is dedicated for public domain shorts. I don't know if Cartoon All-Stars air PD shorts and if they did, it is going to be their home.

RegularCapital

Staff member
Neal says even stuff owned by Disney but not under the Disney brand are almost impossible. I think they're referring to the Fox Kids shows.
Disney needs to consider content licensing to get them out of a rut, not everyone is going to subscribe to Disney+ just for old shows, every other media company has the right idea for considering FTA/OTA and FAST, either internal or licenced out programming to a third party.

The Saban library that Disney has left is few and far between, as its main IPs have been sold off.

Mejo

Four Legged Zoo
Why are Magilla Gorilla and Ricochet Rabbit listed separately? Ricochet Rabbit is part of The Magilla Gorilla Show. The third segment is “Punkin Puss and Mush Mouse”.
It should be noted that in January of 1966, Ricochet Rabbit moved to The Peter Potamus Show and was replaced by Breezly and Sneezly. So technically, Ricochet Rabbit only was on Magilla Gorilla for over half of it’s original run.
Disney won't loan out their classic shorts to its competitors. They've never done that, not even in the days of first run syndication, back when independent TV was like the Wild West.
Actually, Disney DID play some of its shorts in syndication, more often than you may think in fact.

The Mickey Mouse Club, The Mouse Factory, The New Mickey Mouse Club and Toontown Kids (also known as KCAL Kids and DisKids) all featured Disney cartoons as part of their shows and were all aired in syndication at one point.

There was also the syndicated version of The Wonderful World of Disney, which featured among its episodes both old and new compilation episodes featuring old shorts with newer linking footage (even earlier than that series (1983 to 1984 to be specific) some different compilation specials aired under the Mickey and Donald and Sport Goofy banner).

Also, when Disney aired some of its movies in syndication (on their own mostly, not as part of any series) they sometimes had 1 or 2 short subjects at the very end or at the very beginning of the program (IIRC this practice went all the way back to when HBO ran some Disney programs (and yes, that does include the short compilation episodes) but I only remember one movie that did this). Some of these movies even were aired on TBS, with the shorts that aired in syndication with them along with them.

As you see, Disney’s relationship with syndication is a bit complicated. Really wish more info about it would be documented online.

Last edited:

aegisrawks

I think Disney is WILLING to work with Affiliates but NOT with a network competitor like Me TV Toons is. And sadly, since syndication for kids simply isnt a thing anymore we wont ever see it again...

...Unless Disney tried to syndicate again, If DISNEY tried it they have ALL THE MONEY in the world. This isnt unheard of, The Gummi Bears were the start of a might tv empire for Disney... 2 actually with Fox Kids which was created to compete.

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
The Mickey Mouse Club, The Mouse Factory and The New Mickey Mouse Club and Toontown Kids (also known as KCAL Kids and DisKids) all featured Disney cartoons as part of their shows and were all aired in syndication at one point.
What years did KCAL TV do that?

Mejo

Four Legged Zoo
What years did KCAL TV do that?
The early 90s (starting in 1990 in fact). Originally, just KCAL aired those shows (duh, one of them had KCAL in the title) but the Toontown Kids version was eventually syndicated nationwide in the late 90s. Understandable as to why KCAL got those shows over most of the other stations initially though as that station was owned by Disney at the time.

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
The early 90s (starting in 1990 in fact). Originally, just KCAL aired those shows (duh, one of them had KCAL in the title) but the Toontown Kids version was eventually syndicated nationwide in the late 90s. Understandable as to why KCAL got those shows over most of the other stations initially though as that station was owned by Disney at the time.
I was wondering if it was during the era Disney owned the station. They pretty much ran Toontown Kids after the Disney Afternoon, -The Disney-Kellogg Alliance was really on it's last legs before giving up and the UPN block happening.

Ju_mu

I figured there are a few shows that will be permanent or semi permanent(like scooby doo rotating between the various series or wacky races being replaced by the spinoffs). It also makes me wonder if something like histeria may stick around due to filling that e/i quota or if theyll just rotate it in and out with other e/i shows like baby looney tunes or another possible future aquisition like say magic school bus.

Spotlight

Members online

No members online now.

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

What happened to all our posts from yesterday?
Ok, this was all related to the latest server migration. In addition to not being able to post, I can't log out either well by deleting cookies you can.
Yojimbo wrote on Zedd's profile.
can not post, get this error message (but can post on people's profiles and post status updates)
Forum is back but I (and I assume everyone) can not make a post.
I would love to know what anime are popular in Serbia

Featured Posts