"Moon Knight (Disney+ Limited Series)" Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate this series

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• ***1/2

• **1/2

• *1/2

• Forgetful

• Total voters

Frontier

Staff member
No, I would liked it better if instead of another blackout like showing us incomplete pieces of the rest of fight in brief flashes with the majority of the screen being black and not revealing it was Jake. We would just think the staff did a number on Marc and Steven and they were slowly losing consciousness but still fighting back. We'd seen parts of a punches and kicks thrown and landing without seeing who was hit. Hearing the staff break. Stuff like that. Nothing horrific above a PG-13, just enough to have the audience wondering what the heck is going on then finally the full on black out thinking they passed out and the world is doomed then to the part with Marc confused that he won. I didn't care for them not answering where Layla went either. This jumpcut made the finale anti-climactic. That's my one nitpick.
Yeah, I think it was a bit of a cheat to have what is literally the climactic final battle with the hero on the ropes...suddenly blackout and resolved completely off-screen o_O.

It's like the writers couldn't figure out a way for Moon Knight to get out of this and just defaulted to "Jake took care of it. Somehow" :p.

Last edited:

reflection01

Revealing Jake then would have meant nothing to us without ANY sort of context for who he was. The blackout wasn't just tasteful. It was smart from a Narrative standpoint too.

I think you mean “Introducing Jake” which does often happen in order to explain who a character is.

I was happy with the action until they played hide the ball AGAIN during the climatic battle of the entire series. This was two films worth of set up for a battle and we didn't even see how it ended, so they could set up a big reveal that anybody who knew the character or read a "Who is Moon Knight?" article knew was coming.

Now there's nothing wrong with doing a big reveal that everyone knows is coming. You just have to do it right. All the MCU shows have had big reveals. Some reveals you know if you follow the comics. Some reveals are new character reveals. Some reveals are major plot reveals. All of them have been done very well. I thought the Power Broker stuff was annoying in Falcon and the Winter Soldier but it was done pretty well.

Everybody knew Wanda's nosey neighbor was Agatha Harkness going back to when Kathryn Hahn was originally cast. But they set her up well and there were unexplained events that viewers couldn't necessarily connect to Agatha. They even had the scene where Vision unfroze "Agnes" that made viewers doubt she was Agatha for a hot second. But they did that fantastic "Agatha All Along" reveal that made the whole thing work.

Well in Moon Knight, we all knew Jake Locksley was the 3rd identity. We knew Jake was the explanation for unexplained events they used to hide the ball. So what do they do? They introduce him in the post-credits as a limo driver for a god and he just puts a few bullets in the main villain in a psych hospital parking lot? That makes no sense, especially given that the main conflict resolution of the series left us with an intact relationship between Marc and Steven which presumably would make it easier for them (and Layla) to understand there is a third who is still working for Khonsou. They introduced a "new character" who won the climactic battle through a post-credits scene. I'm sorry, but that's just poor storytelling.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Honestly I wouldn't call it poor storytelling because we have seen so many hints of Jake before even that final battle with Harrow and obviously the whole switch is a play on what we saw in other episodes (namely 1 and 3) of when Steven accidentally switched between Marc in the middle of action scenes or even during one of Jake's switches. So it is another example of that. And honestly I'm not as much bothered since I feel the end telegraphs "now that we know and have been introduced to Jake properly we'll see his fights" and I got enough out of the last fight anyway. I will say though I can see where you're coming from for two reasons

1. Even for a more experimental and wonky show like Moon Knight it still does feel off to not fully showcase the last bit of your final battle. I do feel again we had enough for a spectacle but I also can see what people say even if they didn't want to fully reveal Jake to at least show more of what happened like even in flashes to at least show more of how Harrow was taken down after having the edge over Moon Knight. It certainly could have been hinted at better.

2. More importantly though, after how this season ended it feels even more wrong for Oscar Issac and the team to say "oh we only planned on this one season there may not be more Moon Knight". You don't just tease at Jake like that and still try and go "oh this may be the end of the character's journey." Even if not another full season now that we know there are 3 personalities that HAS to be dealt with and wrapped up. Now supposedly

Moon Knight is going to appear in the Werewolf by Night Halloween special so we'll see him again and Marvel's being overly coy once more

But I think if we had more concrete information on having more Moon Knight then this ending would be more forgivable. Just like how Loki season one's ending is fine since we know there's a season two. Stuff like Falcon and the Winter Soldier, hawkeye and even to a degree WandaVision had more concrete endings with more specific full on not skipped over last battles so even if they were the end of those stories they still stuck those endings. This doesn't as much but I'm fine with that because it feels like there will be more but it's not something Marvel should be coy about and should be more upfront on at least the idea of there being more.

Frontier

Staff member
I wonder what they would have been...Blade or maybe just a news scroll or footage? Maybe even Kang :oops:?
Checks out for how surreal the show was in general :p.
At least we have confirmation she's supposed to be a gender-flipped Scarlet Scarab (so MCU Marlene or Scarlet Scarab? Or both :rolleyes2:.) :).

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Final poster released.

Those who scanned the QR codes gets a poster from Marvel.

At one point, the final fight took place in the Chamber of the Gods.

I wonder what they would have been...Blade or maybe just a news scroll or footage? Maybe even Kang :oops:?
I think I call there was a GRC nod in an early episode. Maybe an extended version of that included a cameo from someone like U.S. Agent. I've seen some theories that Ammit's previous avatar Alexander the Great was a Kang variant.

At least we have confirmation she's supposed to be a gender-flipped Scarlet Scarab (so MCU Marlene or Scarlet Scarab? Or both :rolleyes2:.) :).
I took more a new character with some loose ties to established characters given a legacy alter ego. A step further from Michelle Jones for example.

Frontier

Staff member
It's like a movie poster. They've even got Layla in her costume :).
Maybe not spacious enough...
I think I call there was a GRC nod in an early episode. Maybe an extended version of that included a cameo from someone like U.S. Agent. I've seen some theories that Ammit's previous avatar Alexander the Great was a Kang variant.
I was wondering when we'd see Walker again to be honest...also, Kang gets around :p.
I took more a new character with some loose ties to established characters given a legacy alter ego. A step further from Michelle Jones for example.
Sounds a little convoluted, but okay :rolleyes2:.

Frontier

Staff member

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Facebook has removed the "most recent" button. Now you can't sort posts by date anymore. Can you imagine the team meeting where that was decided?
I regret not making a dream voice cast for the upcoming Ranma ½ reboot.

youtube Nickelodeon converts to 20 min version of KCA 2024!
If Zazzy Dawg put us all through hell for two years with this WB/Discovery merger only to go backsies on it, I'd be both ecstatic and pissed at the same time.
I had enough of people calling everything by their old names. The more and more I see, the worse it gets.

Featured Posts