Movies Defined By One Scene

Classic Speedy

Alllllll righty then
Staff member
Reporter
An Officer And A Gentlemen. Never seen the movie. Don't know what it's about. But the scene is parodied a LOT.
Haha, what a coincidence. I actually just watched that for the first time too! Almost thought about listing it as another example because you're right, everyone only remembers the ending and not much else. But I recommend it, I very much enjoyed it.

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
Going back to my earlier post, Billy Wilder's other Marilyn Monroe feature, The Seven Year Itch, is best known for the image that codified Monroe's image- the wind blowing up her skirt. You'd think more people would make note of the bit where she keeps her underwear in the freezer.

And while we're still on Marilyn, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes is similarly best known for "Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend".

Classic Speedy

Alllllll righty then
Staff member
Reporter
This is getting into film scholar territory, but Battleship Potemkin and the baby carriage goiing down the Odessa steps. People probably only know about it from references and parodies in films like The Untouchables and the third Naked Gun film.
That's a great example. The funny thing is, as iconic as that scene is, when I finally watched the movie a couple decades ago, the scene that stuck with me most was the sailors (rightfully) complaining about the maggot-filled meat they have to eat.

Mejo

Jukebox Bird
The Empire Strikes Back is hardly defined by one scene. There are countless great scenes in that movie. Its a legendary film for a reason.
Like I said earlier, It's just mostly the first thing that comes to mind from it.

Plus, I thought that this thread was going to be a (as TV Tropes calls it) "Signature Scene" thread. Guess I was mistaken.

MC_Lovecraft

Cat Social Worker
Scanners (1981) and the exploding head scene
I watched this for the first time not too long ago and I was shocked at how early in the movie this moment happens, too. It's the only time in the film a head totally explodes, but there are fantastic practical effects all the way through, as to be expected from a Cronenberg joint.

Dantheman

Gee, I never thought about that...
More of a "more people have heard of the title than have actually seen the movie", but Ilsa, She-Wolf of the SS.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Carrie with the scene where a certain substance drops on the main character.
Nah, the tampon scene at the beginning is equally memorable. That film had a lot of things going for it.
Plus, I thought that this thread was going to be a (as TV Tropes calls it) "Signature Scene" thread. Guess I was mistaken.
Nah, it's about films that are only famous or remembered by one thing.

The proper way to play this game is to list a famous movie scene from a movie you've never seen but know because it's been referenced or shown so many times.

If you've seen the movie, you're probably not gonna get it right.

Additional player hint: Make absolutely sure that one scene is the only thing you know about the film. If you already know other stuff it probably doesn't qualify.

Last edited:

Classic Speedy

Alllllll righty then
Staff member
Reporter
Another one: Mommie Dearest: Everyone knows "NO. WIRE. HANGERS. EVER!!!!", with not quite as many people also knowing "Why can't you give me the RESPECT that I'm ENTITLED TOOOO?!" and the ensuing fight. Few people can name anything else from the movie unless they've actually seen it.

Pooky

Staff member
It's become kind of a boring cliché to say that the iconic dancefloor imagery/poster from Saturday Night Fever isn't very representative, and it's closer to Mean Streets than Grease or Thank God It's Friday. But it's true!

If we're going back to the silent era we could mention the house falling around Buster Keaton (One Week) or Harold Lloyd dangling off a clock (Safety Last) but those are probably more famous scenes from films most of the public couldn't name.

I would personally at least somewhat disagree with;
- Scarface; obviously pretty much every second has been referenced in at least one rap song, and Push it to the Limit has become a somewhat iconic "80s montage song", but I've also seen the The World is Yours scene parodied and refenced a few times
- An Office & a Gentleman; the "I got nowhere else to go" line/scene is pretty famous and has been parodied a fair few times. Louis Gossett Jr's character was also kind of iconic at one point, and became the template for a lot of his own roles and other drill sergeant characters going forward
- Flashdance; I would say there are three other pretty well known scenes-
1. The opening where you see the welder take their mask off and ZOMG the welder is a woman!!!
2. The dinner scene where Jennifer Beals takes her bra off without removing her top was an iconic "sexy" scene for a lot of GenXers, obviously going back a while but referenced in Friends for example.
3. The audition scene at the end set to What a Feeling!, still going back a while but it was pretty much recreated for Geri Halliwell's It's Raining Men video

Dantheman

Gee, I never thought about that...
Another one: Mommie Dearest: Everyone knows "NO. WIRE. HANGERS. EVER!!!!", with not quite as many people also knowing "Why can't you give me the RESPECT that I'm ENTITLED TOOOO?!" and the ensuing fight. Few people can name anything else from the movie unless they've actually seen it.
"TINA, BRING ME THE AXE!" and what she says to the Pepsi-Cola board of directors, which I can't repeat here.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.
Happy 4th of July!
Oh, it's my birthday!
The New Woody Woodpecker Show was just removed from Peacock... Can this show just take a break from being screwed over?

Featured Posts