Music of Ren and Stimpy

AllenJ

Here are some new tracks I've identified since Ian's blog went offline:
  • Bass Tension - Simon Benson, Eugenio Grandi: Plays in "Stimpy's Pet" during the scene at the sewer.
  • Breakout - Syd Dale: Plays in "Hermit Ren" when Ren spits out the spoiled milk.
  • Breakout Tag - Syd Dale: Plays in "House of Next Tuesday" when Stimpy says "Don't you, Ren?"
  • Cafe De Montmartre - Brian Peters: Plays in "Cheese Rush Days" when the savage French chefs first appear.
  • Dream Tunnels (a) - Alan Reekie, John Rea: Plays in the Cheesefist commercial when the man says "These old fashioned hors d'oeuvres just aren't cutting it!"
  • Etude Op. 10, #3 in E Major - Fiachra Trench, Frederic Chopin: Plays in "I Love Chicken" when Stimpy says "Mmm, something smells good!"
  • Fast Flowing Rhythm - Eric Allen: Plays in "Big Flakes" when Stimpy taps his nose during the game of charades. Also plays in "Sammy and Me" right before Stimpy says "I'll do it!"
  • Frothblowers Anthem - Edrich Siebert: Plays in "Blazing Entrails" when Stimpy is blown up to massive size (arrangement of "Oh, Du Lieber Augustin").
  • Kiddingly - Ron Ronsted: Plays in "Cheese Rush Days" when the savage French chefs first appear.
  • Kyrie - Roman Zajaczek: Plays in "The Scotsman in Space" when Ren and Stimpy are floating through space, disintegrating.
  • National Anthem of Switzerland (Swiss Psalm) - Alberich Zwyssig: Plays in "Sven Hoek" when Ren answers the door.
  • The Pursuit of Evil - Bill Connor: Plays in "Stimpy's Pet" when Sid exits the sewage.
  • Tchaikovsky: March from "The Nutcracker Suite" - Lee Ashley [OGM]: Plays in "The Scotsman in Space" at the very end of the episode.

I've also decided to start a separate blog for Ren & Stimpy music identification. Please see my comments here for details as to why.

K-Matic

And after over 3 years of the third incarnation of the Ren and Stimpy Music Blog, here's what's been identified ever since:

APM MUSIC:
  • Armed Attack 1 - Mladen Franko: Also plays during the take-off scene in "Space Dogged".
  • Fear of the Unknown (D, F) - Ilona Sekacz: Both cues play in "Ren's Brain"; the former cue plays when Stimpy says, "If Ren wakes up and finds his brain missing, he’ll kill me!”; the latter cue plays when Stimpy takes off his goggles in dismay.
  • Strip Teaser (a) - Tony Kinsey: Plays in "Feud for Sale" right after the salesman whispers to Abner.
  • Historical Perspective (c) - Keith Mansfield: Also plays in "Feud for Sale" when the salesman shouts “…Pointy stick!”
  • Balloch House Waltz - Douglas Pincock: Plays in "Hard Times for Haggis" during a close-up shot of Whacky's eyes.
  • Dark, Damp, and Dripping! - Len Rawle: Plays in "My Shiny Friend" when Stimpy pulls the TV out of the toilet.
  • Nursery Rhyme Bells - Len Rawle: Also plays in "My Shiny Friend" when Ren happily goes back to sleep.
  • Descriptive Items 10 - John Fox: Also plays in "My Shiny Friend" when Ren points Stimpy and his friends away from the TV.
  • Minitake 152 (f-j) - Gerhard Narholz: Plays in "Who's Stupid Now" when Stimpy says, "Of course you do, Ren, we live together!".
  • Roll to Cymbal Crash - Eric Allen: Plays in "Pen Pals" when the cop chuckles and says, "Fire."
  • Timpani - Rolls (m) - Gary Kettel: Plays in "Stupid Sidekick Union" when Ren says, "Alright, everybody out!".
  • Resolved Link - Eric Allen: Plays in "Ren's Brain" when the moon comes out.
  • Ethereal Ascending Effect - Eric Allen: Also plays in "Ren's Brain" when the moon begins to shine"
  • Sparkles 3 - Otto Sieben: Also plays in "Ren's Brain" when Stimpy opens his eyes.
  • Mists of Time - David Snell: Plays in "I Love Chicken" when Ren says, "Did you think I wouldn't notice?".
  • Irish Washer Woman - Clive Richardson: Plays in "Double Header" when Ren says, "Let's go".
  • Fear of the Unknown (b) - Bill Connor: Plays in "The Scotsman in Space" when the shadowy figure reappears.
  • The Pursuit of Evil - Bill Connor: Plays in "Reverend Jack Cheese" (alongside "Sphere Crystals" by Gregor Narholz) during Jack's mental breakdown in the van.
  • Carry Me My Pony - George Callert: Plays in "Travelogue" when Ren and Stimpy are showed to sit down.
  • Empty Warehouses - Andrew Findon: Plays in "Feud for Sale" when the salesman says, "Hey, bub..."
  • Sandstorm - George Fenton, John Leach: Plays in "Big Flakes" during Stimpy's agoraphobia.
  • Shimmering Sands - George Fenton, John Leach: Also plays in "Big Flakes" when Ren scares Stimpy with big words.
  • Desert Images - George Fenton, John Leach: Also plays in "Big Flakes" when Ren says, "I'm sorry, Stimpy, I've been holding out on you."
  • Lady of the Lake - James Stewart and John Godfrey: Plays in "I Was a Teenage Stimpy" when Ren says to Stimpy, "Go on, find a nice ripe one!".
  • Point of Departure (E) - Gregor Narholz: Plays in "Ren Needs Help!" as the string sustain when Ren exits the bathroom.
  • Nerve Centre - John Scott (NOT "Torment" by Buddy Baker) plays in I Love Chicken when Ren says, "I'm still waiting for you to finish my chicken dinner!"
  • A Timeless Odyssey – Anthony Hymas: Plays in "Magical Golden Singing Cheeses" as the choir music during the shot of the cheese on the ogre's feet.
  • Badlands 2 [#34] - John Cameron: Plays in "Hermit Ren" when Ren's anger, fear, and ignorance are introduced.
  • Short Roll [#4.5] – Eric Allen: Plays in "An Abe Divided" when Sgt. Big Butt says “Ten-hut! About face!”.
  • Music for Percussion (1 to 7) – Laurie Johnson: Also plays in "An Abe Divided" during the towel whippings.
  • Music for Percussion (8 to 13) – Laurie Johnson: Also plays in "An Abe Divided" when Sgt. Big Butt says, “Do you know what we give you if you disgrace our country?”.
  • Moonlit Night - Harry Gregson Williams: Serves as the choir piece that plays alongside Armed Attack by Jean Clero in "Reverend Jack Cheese".
  • Romeo and Juliet, Overture - Peter Tchaikovsky [KPMC 0004]: Dramatic mood section (15:50 - 15:58) plays in "I Love Chicken" when Ren says, "Ooh, I'm gonna get that chicken!"
  • Solstice - Dick Walter: Plays in "Wiener Barons" when Ren begins to describe his dream.
  • Mesmeris - Otto Sieben: Plays in "Ren Needs Help!" when Ren is in the tub.
Tracks from APM Music labels that aren't on website:
  • Pictures of India - Klaus Wuesthoff (Selected Sound) [removed from APM site]: Plays in "The Last Temptation of Ren" when Ren whips himself at the dinner table.
  • Ein Montag Im November - Gerhard Trede: Plays in "Eat My Cookies" when Ren leaves the card game, angry.
  • Aquamarine - Simon Benson (Bruton): Plays in "Road Apples" when Mrs. Pipe tells her husband that Ren and Stimpy need to be let out.
  • Harp Gliss 1 - Otto Sieben (Sonoton): LP version that plays in "Big Flakes" during the calendar change scenes (9th and 13th cues only).
  • Im Tiefen Keller - Otto Sieben (Sonoton Authentic Series): Plays in "Bell Hops" when Mrs. Buttloaves walks past the hotel manager.
  • Okarina Jodler - Georg Schwenk (Sonoton Authentic Series): Plays in "Ren Needs Help!" during the therapy session.
As far as already identified tracks go...
  • Uppers and Downers (2) - Kenny Graham: Also plays in "A Yard Too Far" when Ren screams with delight.
  • The Waiting Silence - Richard Harvey: Also plays in "Bass Masters" when Ren states that his prey is at hand.
  • Finger of Fear - Fredric Bayco: Low string sustain portion serves as the drum roll in "Lair of the Lummox" when one of the lummoxes is about to burp the alphabet.
  • The March of the Ants - Sidney Crooke: Also plays in "Space Dogged" when the camera reveals that Stimpy's waste tube is connected to Ren's space helmet.
  • Without Walls A - Mladen Franko: The heavenly choir in "Powdered Toast Man vs. Waffle Woman" when the peace treaty is signed.
  • Mists of Illusion - Gilbert Vinter: Plays in "An Abe Divided" when Ren overhears that there’s a treasure in Abe’s head; plays in "My Shiny Friend" (alongside Harp Gliss 1 by Otto Sieben) when Stimpy is dizzy after Ren slaps him.
  • Balow, My Babe - Patrick Gowers: Plays in "Ren Needs Help!" when an already lobotomized Ren is dressed up like the President.
  • Conflict Link 2 - Richard Hill: This cue is used for the second time in the episode, "Who's Stupid Now?" when Ren slams the door.
  • Luo Drummers – David Bradnum: Plays again in "Travelogue", in which a loop of the final drum beat of the track plays when Ren and Stimpy exit the plane to unwelcoming Acromeglian citizens.
  • Trombone Link (a) - Richard Myhill: Plays in "Big Flakes" right before Stimpy grabs one bag.
  • Mambo De Capo - Gerhard Narholz: Plays in "Reverend Jack Cheese" when Stimpy runs out.
And a few corrections before I post about new tracks from other libraries: "Appassionata" by Daryl Runswick, "Joyful and Triumphant" by Alan Moorhouse, and "Turn the Screw" by Paul Gerard (which shouldn't be categorized as a Capitol track) can now be available to listen to on APM's website under the KPM 1000 series label. However, "O Sole Mio (a)" by Janos Lehar has been removed from APM a while ago.

Last edited:

K-Matic

Carlin Production Music (CPM):
  • Promenade – Pictures at an Exhibition - Mike Hankinson, Modest Mussorgsky: Plays in "Ren's Brain" when Stimpy lifts up Ren's brain.
  • Bonnie Mary of Argyll - David Duncan: Plays in "A Hard Days Luck" when the leprechaun tells Haggis that he can win.
  • Strangle - Trevor Nightingale, Will Thomson: Also plays in "A Hard Days Luck" when Haggis imagines monsters in the well.
  • Sequentia Rex Tremendae Majestatis – Antonin Rejcha, George Wilson: Although this track has already been identified, it also plays in "Reverend Jack Cheese" during the shot of Jack's bologna cap in the episode's deleted scene with the meat ritual.
  • Green Hills of Tyrol/The Battles O’er – Rab Mathieson: Looped portion of the drum roll plays in "Reverend Jack Cheese" when the cop explains to Ren and Stimpy what the trouble is.
  • Frahers Jig – Rab Mathieson: Plays in "Reverend Jack Cheese" when the cop says, "Now, step aside!".
  • Moto Dramatico – Christopher Payne, Paul Rogers: Plays in "Stimpy's Fan Club" when Ren screams after going crazy.
Capitol Records:
  • Dreamy Ghost (TC-16) - William Loose, John Seely: Plays in "Ren's Brain" during which Ren's brain is suspended in a tank just before sunrise; also plays in "The Last Temptation of Ren" when Ren's soul exits his body.
  • Domestic (C-164) – William Loose: Plays in "An Abe Divided" when Sgt. Big Butt uses Ren to scrub the Lincoln memorial; also plays in "To Salve and Salve Not" when Stimpy does the dishes.
OGM Music:
  • Big Band Billboard #3 (1950’s) – Henrik Nielsen: Plays as a fanfare cue in "Insomniac Ren" when Stimpy gets an idea.
  • Big Band Billboard #4 (1950’s) – Henrik Nielsen: Plays in "Dog Tags" when Stimpy says, "Idea!".
  • Herold: Zampa Overture - Lee Ashley: Plays in "The Scotsman in Space" when the coin purse opens.
  • Red River Valley* - Erik Markman: Plays in "Haunted House" when the yak gives thanks.
  • American-Latino* - Erik Markman: Plays in "Hard Times for Haggis" during the Ben and Stumpy title card.
*unavailable on OGM's Soundcloud

And now the remaining unknown tracks are as follows for these episodes:
  • Aloha Hoek:
    • When Ren storms off.
  • Bell Hops:
    • When Mrs. Buttloaves is squeezed into the elevator.
    • When Stimpy stands in front of Ren's camera.
  • Big Flakes:
    • Bongo and timpani rolls that play while Stimpy panics.
  • Big House Blues:
    • Percussion track when Prehistoric Ren and Stimpy are shown.
  • I Love Chicken:
    • The fanfare sting when Ren screams, "Marriage?!"
  • Eggyolkeo:
    • When the toast and bacon exploit Eggyolkeo; they introduce him to some women.
    • Eggyolkeo, toast, and bacon driving.
  • Fake Dad:
    • Plays at the beginning of the episode.
  • Stimpy's Fan Club:
    • Title card music.
  • Feud for Sale:
    • When the salesman says, "...their dignity..."
  • A Hard Days Luck:
    • When Haggis has the butler shave his back.
    • When Haggis is served cereal.
    • When the clam flies through the air and loses his trunks.
    • When Haggis climbs out of the well.
    • When Haggis pleads to the leprechaun.
  • Reverend Jack Cheese:
    • When Jack says, "Now THAT'S what a butt should look like!"
    • The drum roll when the cop tells Jack, "You're washed up, the show's over!"
  • The Last Temptation of Ren:
    • When Ren makes a confession that he's stolen money from Stimpy for years.
  • Magical Golden Singing Cheeses:
    • When Stimpy says, "I'll guard it like it was my own brain."
    • When Stimpy trys to pry off the cheese on the ogre's feet.
  • Pen Pals:
    • When Ren and Stimpy are blown up by the tanks.
  • My Shiny Friend:
    • When the cook on TV says, "Man, smell that hickory flavor!"
    • When Ren runs up the tree.
  • Stupid Sidekick Union:
    • When Ren nervously asks the baboon if he has any showbiz experience.
  • I Was a Teenage Stimpy:
    • When Ren says, "And now, I have a man to take care of me in my dotage."
  • Travelogue:
    • When the wildebeest is revealed.
    • When the wildebeest says, "Oh, my back..." after the gear is thrown on him.
    • When the old man in the tree says "Not everyone gets this privilege!"
  • Wiener Barons:
    • When the border patrol guard stops Ren and Stimpy.
    • When the border partol guard sends Ren and Stimpy packing.
Also feel free to check out 1Lukeskywalker202's YouTube channel where he has shared numerous videos of Capitol Hi-Q/OGM tracks online that play in the show.

Last edited:

K-Matic

Just recently, AllenJ has deleted "The Ren and Stimpy Show" Music Identification Blog after four years.

A few months before the shutdown, one final track was identified by "Walk the Skies 202" for the episode, "In The Army" during Ren's freakout: "Snake-Charmer's Tune 1" by Yasotha Somasundram, which can be found on APM's website.

Edit 1/14: There is, however, a new blog on Blogger that was launched prior to the shutdown: Ren & Stimpy Music Identification

Last edited:

AllenJ

I've decided to put the music breakdowns on a new website with a custom URL. The breakdowns are categorized by season with the bumpers on a separate page, and each breakdown is its own collapsible menu, so hopefully this site should be easier to navigate than the old blog (unfortunately I can't figure out how to add a comment feature at the moment, so feel free to post any corrections/additions here). I've also included a sidebar link to a full R&S credits and airdates guide I've been working on. Enjoy!

K-Matic

Here's what's been identified this year and last year:

- Symphony No.5 in C-Sharp Minor @ - Scherzo:Kraftig Nicht Zu - Gustav Mahler: Plays in "Magical Golden Singing Cheeses" when Stimpy tries to pry the cheese off the ogre's feet.
- Tales of Adventure (C) - Matthew Cang: Plays in "Travelogue" during which the wildebeest is revealed (and subsequently weighed down by Ren and Stimpy's travel gear)
- Adagio Espressivo For Harp - Otto Sieben: Also plays in "Travelogue" when the old man in the tree says "Not everyone gets this privilege!"
- Backchat - Mac Prindy, John Fiddy, and Christopher Anthony Laurence: Plays in "My Shiny Friend" when Ren runs up the tree.
- Obverse Retrospective - John Fiddy, Nat Peck, and Otto Sieben: Plays in "Bell Hops" when Mrs. Buttloaves is squeezed into the elevator.

As far as already identified tracks goes, the second section of "Desert Images" by George Fenton and John Leach plays in "Big Flakes" when Ren scares Stimpy with big words, which is then followed by "Timpani Roll (e)" by Gary Kettel (which also plays in "Reverend Jack Cheese" when the cop says to Jack, "You're washed up, the show's over!").

All tracks are available to listen to on APM's website.

Last edited:

Classic Speedy

Alllllll righty then
Staff member
Reporter
Thanks! Still hoping we someday figure out what that track towards the end of "I Was a Teenage Stimpy" is ("I have a man to take care of me in my dotage")... it sounds like a classical piece but it might be something modern intended to sound like it came from that era.

Spuds Mooman

Here's a few I identified (although I'll admit, a while ago):

- Polovtsian Dances from Prince Igor - Excerpt 1 (Big House Blues, Son of Stimpy, Hard Times for Haggis) & Excerpt 2 (original show opening) - both of these are the removed tracks from BGC 6 "Classical Collection"

- Folk of South East Asia II - Victor Cavini (Prehistoric Stimp title card music)

- "Light Eerie" by George Hormel is properly titled "Light Underscore (B5-ZR-49)"

- Tritsch Tratsch Polka - Theme 1 - Johann Strauss II (from Bruton Classical Collection; used in Reverend Jack)

- The Washington Post - R.A.F. Music Library (used in Space Dogged)

Also, here's where I found Polovtsian Dances from Prince Igor: Classical Collection | NICHION SOUNDS LIBRARY (won't attach the link to text)

K-Matic

Found an APM track that plays in "The Last Temptation of Ren": "Lonely Soul" by John Fox (last one for this episode) + the already identified "Funeral March" by Gary Kettel plays alongside this track when Ren holds out the money bag to pay back Stimpy with.

Spuds Mooman

More classical arrangements:

- William Tell-overture - Gioacchino Rossini (only ever played in Ren's Toothache) APM Music - Albums

- Be Embraced Millions @ Waltz Op.443 - Johann Strauss I (plays in It's a Dog's Life when Ren and Stimpy scream)

Spuds Mooman

Gary Kettel compositions I indentified:

- Snare Drum - Rolls (e): plays in Dog Tags while Ren and the guards are behind the curtain, and in School Mates when Chuck says "Hey! It's that cat." During that School Mates scene I think it may transition into Timpani Roll (e) but it's difficult to distinguish with the growling sounds.

- Timpani Roll (e): plays in City Hicks when the alarm starts going off in the kitchen, and in A Scooter for Yaksmas during the nightmare sequence (specifically "I can explain!")

- Timpani - Rolls (f): only plays in City Hicks when Ren wakes up.

K-Matic

Thanks! Still hoping we someday figure out what that track towards the end of "I Was a Teenage Stimpy" is ("I have a man to take care of me in my dotage")... it sounds like a classical piece but it might be something modern intended to sound like it came from that era.
Turns out that the piece in question is "Chanson De Matin" by Edward Elgar (arranged by John Fox) from the Sonoton album SON 269 "Pomp And Glory - The Best Of Edward Elgar" (later SCD 5 "Pomp and Glory/Brandenburg Concertos", which is no longer on APM's website). It can currently be heard on the Sonoton Vinyl label (SONV) on sonofind.com, but will eventually return on APM's website within a few months or so.

Classic Speedy

Alllllll righty then
Staff member
Reporter
Turns out that the piece in question is "Chanson De Matin" by Edward Elgar (arranged by John Fox) from the Sonoton album SON 269 "Pomp And Glory - The Best Of Edward Elgar" (later SCD 5 "Pomp and Glory/Brandenburg Concertos", which is no longer on APM's website). It can currently be heard on the Sonoton Vinyl label (SONV) on sonofind.com, but will eventually return on APM's website within a few months or so.
Nice! Thanks for solving a long-standing mystery!

Spuds Mooman

The theme used for the Ren & Stimpy Special intro was Strauss: The Radetzky March by Lee Ashley. Why is this intro not on any music identification?

Spotlight

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Has anyone seen PSI Cops last night?

(cricket noises)

Yeah, I still can't believe that was a thing.
Paramount and Skydance have officially merged. Does this mean that Brian Robbins got the boot?
Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes

Featured Posts