Netflix live-action Scooby-Doo series in the works

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I wouldn't mind seeing something similar to the style of the first few animated movies from the late 90s, like Zombie Island or Witch's Ghost. Part bad guys in masks, part real monsters. As well as a pretty good balance between the comedy and darker elements. I doubt it will happen though.

They will probably also try a more serialized approach as most live-action shows do these days. Stuff like Mystery Inc. and even Be Cool Scooby worked pretty well and showed a continuity heavy Scooby project could work, but I'm not sure what new stuff they could try out at this point (this goes for both live-action and animation to an extent, really).

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
From the front page of AnimeSuperhero.com:

"Netflix Wants A Live-Action Scooby Doo Show"​

scoobydoo-shaggy-scooby-1714434964612.jpg

"“Velma” hasn’t been to everyone’s taste (to put it mildly) but the next incarnation of Scooby-Doo is in the planning stages as we speak. It’s yet another version for adults, but this time it’s live-action and being produced for Netflix. The announcement was made earlier this week.

Scooby-Doo has been around for so long by now that it’s done just about everything already, including a live-action interpretation. Twice, in fact. A theatrical movie was released in 2002 starring Sarah Michelle Gellar, Linda Cardellini, Mathew Lillard, Freddie Prinze Jr. and a badly-rendered Scrappy. A sequel was produced two years later. At the end of the decade, a made-for-TV live-action movie unrelated to the first two appeared, subtitled “The Mystery Begins.” That one got a sequel as well the following year.

What’s different this time is that Netflix and WB are going for a “drama” take. One might scoff: “Scooby Doo? Drama? How could that ever work?” But it did work: the animated series Mystery Incorporated is cited by most fans as the best Scooby series produced to date, and it went for a dramatic take on the gang. It can be done!"

Read the full article here.

hobbyfan

Scooby-Doo has worked in live-action before, so it's not a stretch to give the franchise a full live-action series.

It's likely the use of the word "dramatic" in the description. If that's their plan, I'd prefer it if they didn't take that approach. I'd rather they ham it up.

And it's been a few years since the last Cartoon Network TV-movie in live-action form.

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
If this show had happened on the CW while Riverdale was running, a crossover would have been fitting given the Archie gang was an inspiration for Mystery Inc..

MatthewP

i’m betting a dozen most of the niche toon fandom prolly just wants the 2010 show back

(ngl tho it’d be funny if it did come back, but with the monkey’s paw of it being more CW then it was, what with the licensed music an’ all)

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes
Xilam is one of my most favourite animation studios, I enjoy alot of their cartoons from Hubert and Takako, Oggy and the Cockroaches and Zig and Sharko. Xilam is a studio that has inspired many and has created endless classics that we enjoy.

What's your most fond memory of Xilam?
Given how Drew Barrymore's production company Flower Films has mainly made live action projects for older audiences, them producing the TV special Olive The Other Reindeer and the Netflix preschool show Princess Power are definitely quite unusual. It would certainly explain the humor of the latter.
According to TVInsider, MTV2 will premiere Sponge on the Run movie on Sat Jul 13 at 6pm
It's such a shame that the anime with the long-pink-haired girls like Hinagiku Katsura and Bocchi are never officially dubbed into English. What do you think?

Featured Posts