Rabbit Habit (1975)

Classic Speedy

Boogie oogie oogie
Staff member
Reporter
Believe it or not, I'd never heard of this short until now. Obviously this is not made by Warner Bros., and since it makes jokes about drug dealing it's not one for the kiddies (though nothing in the short is NSFW). To my knowledge it's never been released on home video for those very reasons, because WB'd be all over it faster than... uh... (inserts witty analogy here, not feeling very creative today). VERY bare bones animation but some amusing lines here and there, and the imitation Elmer voice is pretty well done too. Supposedly Tex Avery himself saw it and thought it was hilarious, which is high praise.

Thoughts?

Mejo

Four Legged Zoo
Evidently, Cartoon All-Stars to the Rescue was some sort of community service Bugs and Daffy had to do for all their drug use and dealing shown here.

Real shame that Steve Peck didn’t do much after this. This is pretty good. Really enjoyed the Magilla Gorilla reference and how the director went through the trouble of using actual music and sound effects from the actual Warner Bros cartoons. I know some more “traditional” Looney Tunes fans will probably say that this is a bastardization of those characters (I know Jones would probably agree with that :p), but as far as I’m concerned, I really think it’s fun.

Classic Speedy

Boogie oogie oogie
Staff member
Reporter
Evidently, Cartoon All-Stars to the Rescue was some sort of community service Bugs and Daffy had to do for all their drug use and dealing shown here.
Haha nice.
I know some more “traditional” Looney Tunes fans will probably say that this is a bastardization of those characters (I know Jones would probably agree with that :p),
According to the comments in the video, Chuck was indeed not a fan. But, Chuck also hated Who Framed Roger Rabbit so... take his opinions with a grain of salt.

wiley207

Yeah, I gotta agree, despite being unofficial, that was the best post-Arthur Q. Bryan Elmer Fudd voice I've heard. I also love the use of Carl Stalling music tracks (mostly pre-1948 music) and Treg Brown/WB sound effects, though there are a few occasional Major Records sound effects (DePatie-Freleng often used that library as well), along with a contemporary-sounding track in the opening scene (maybe also a Major Records stock music track?)
The ending was pretty amusing, and also kind of surreal to hear Bugs say "Hanna-Barbera", even if, again, it's not official.

Pooky

Staff member
I personally wouldn't say I found it particularly funny, but it's definitely an achievement for (as I understand it) having been made by a single person, and it has time capsule value too. Amazing to think we're quite a bit further out from this than this was from A Wild Hare.

Classic Speedy

Boogie oogie oogie
Staff member
Reporter
I've watched it multiple times now. There's just something morbidly fascinating about it- the classic cartoon music clashing with the limited animation (but hilarious held poses) and drug themes, not to mention how the classic characters are acting both in and out of character, if that makes sense.

One thing I'm wondering: Is this paper cut-out animation? I suspect it is, but I could be wrong.

And why not, drug pusher Elmer is my latest avatar. :D

Pooky

Staff member
This probably sounds meaner than I mean it to be, but one thing it does show is how important the Principal of "Solid Drawing" is to animation, especially these kind of traditional characters; some of the drawings are decidedly *not* in that mould, and it does look very jarring (intentionally or otherwise).

A thing I meant to say, which I do mean as a compliment of sorts, while it predates it's a little like watching the old Public Domain VHS Covers come to life.

Certainly someone should get on writing a good Cartoon Research article on this for the 50th anniversary next year.

hobbyfan

Y'know, I can understand why Steve Peck didn't pitch this to WB---it'd have been rejected in half a second---but it's probably made the rounds of conventions over the years underground style.

Spotlight

Members online

No members online now.

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

What happened to all our posts from yesterday?
Ok, this was all related to the latest server migration. In addition to not being able to post, I can't log out either well by deleting cookies you can.
Yojimbo wrote on Zedd's profile.
can not post, get this error message (but can post on people's profiles and post status updates)
Forum is back but I (and I assume everyone) can not make a post.
I would love to know what anime are popular in Serbia

Featured Posts