Rejected DC Comics Designs and Show Pitches, Part 2

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
In this week's Justice League Revisited, Dan Riba revealed some tidbits:

Patrick McGoohan was offered Dr. Fate for STAS
34:55-35:03: We reached out to him for Dr. Fate back on Superman. And nothing. Crickets. Crickets. We designed the character after him anyway.

A Better World
35:10-35:41: Terence Stamp called Andrea. Terrance Stamp. General Zod. He was in town, he had a couple weeks of work and was going to be in town for a week and he heard such nice things about our show and working with Andrea from other actors, he called, "I'm available, I want to do a cartoon." And we were working on the one episode that had no guest stars A Better World. There was no place for him.

Last edited:

Karkull

Eldritch Lord of Chaos
Staff member
Wow. I know that it was talked about with the head of Kids' WB!, but I had no idea that there was concept art drawn up. I've been meaning to write a piece about this for Aglets Are Sinister.

Come to think of it, the end of Batman Beyond kinda syncs up with the pre-production on Justice League. You don't suppose that plot point in "Secret Origins," with the manned Mars landing, could have been inspired by that pitch?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Wow. I know that it was talked about with the head of Kids' WB!, but I had no idea that there was concept art drawn up. I've been meaning to write a piece about this for Aglets Are Sinister.

Come to think of it, the end of Batman Beyond kinda syncs up with the pre-production on Justice League. You don't suppose that plot point in "Secret Origins," with the manned Mars landing, could have been inspired by that pitch?
I suppose when Alan Burnett and Hilary Bader put together the pitch they got some of the people still working on BB to do some concepts they could show.

I think Rivoche did some JL so I can see bit of that alien design concept evolve into the Imperium decor. Why waste a good design?

Hmm, always did wonder about what inspired that cold open. I recall Carter's look was inspired by Steve Austin and the overall premise War of the Worlds (even the Imperium walkers resemble those in War). I always had a theory it was loosely inspired by this 60s Sci-Fi show called Captain Scarlet and the Mysterions - it also started with a Mars landing, finding an alien city, a conflict with an enemy race is started as a result, a lead human being replaced, etc.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I want to read the original pitch. Think that J'onn J'onzz and the Imperium factored into it?
Huh. Didn't think to consider they might have first devised that part of Secret Origins in that pitch. If it were I'm sure Alan Burnett and Hilary Bader would have been given a story credit of some sort in Secret Origins. Now you got me wondering. Maybe they were thinking Total Recall, crime was already pretty rampant? Idk, it was a flimsy idea and a small miracle no one was into it.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I was also wondering about J'onn, or his legacy. Similar to how Terry was the new Batman. I don't think Miss Martian was even introduced in the comics yet when they were contemplating this show. If this was before Justice League I guess they might have wanted to properly set up J'onn first but then again, the Hawks weren't exactly present either in the DCAU yet Warhawk did show up in "The Call".

b.t.

i have just the vaguest memories of the BATMAN ON MARS pitch. I think Alan said it was going to be on a terraformed Mars with an already fairly well-developed (but very grubby) urban environment. In retrospect, yes, kinda like TOTAL RECALL, though I didn’t make that connection at the time. My response was along the lines of ‘So, Terry’s still going to be fighting bad guys in a futuristic urban environment only on Mars instead of Earth?‘ It seemed to me at the time that it really wasn’t different enough from the basic BATMAN BEYOND set-up, but designing Martian Gotham would be a massive design challenge on a TV budget and schedule. In other words, a huge amount of work for very little payoff.

i don’t remember ever seeing that nice Paul Rivoche concept art, but I suppose I might have and just forgotten it. In any case, the BATMAN ON MARS pitch didn’t influence ‘Secret Origins’. The basic idea of using the White Martians as the villains came directly from one of Grant Morrison’s first JLA story arcs. And the look of the Martians and their gear was heavily inspired by the work of avant-garde science-fiction illustrator Richard Powers.

Oh, and I can’t speak for Rich Fogel or anyone else involved in the writing of ‘Secret Origins’ but I’ve never seen an episode of CAPTAIN SCARLET. Space explorers accidentally awakening inimical alien beings on other worlds is a pretty common trope. We could just as likely have subconsciously borrowed the idea from ALIEN or PLANET OF THE VAMPIRES or A.E. Van Vogt’s ‘Black Destroyer’.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Members online

No members online now.

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes
Xilam is one of my most favourite animation studios, I enjoy alot of their cartoons from Hubert and Takako, Oggy and the Cockroaches and Zig and Sharko. Xilam is a studio that has inspired many and has created endless classics that we enjoy.

What's your most fond memory of Xilam?
Given how Drew Barrymore's production company Flower Films has mainly made live action projects for older audiences, them producing the TV special Olive The Other Reindeer and the Netflix preschool show Princess Power are definitely quite unusual. It would certainly explain the humor of the latter.
According to TVInsider, MTV2 will premiere Sponge on the Run movie on Sat Jul 13 at 6pm
It's such a shame that the anime with the long-pink-haired girls like Hinagiku Katsura and Bocchi are never officially dubbed into English. What do you think?

Featured Posts