Remember The Hub (Discovery Family's former name)?

HunterMon17

The Hub was a 50/50 joint venture between Hasbro and Discovery. It was a digital cable channel aimed at kids that was launched on October 10, 2010, replacing Discovery Kids.

The Hub had a lot of shows based on Hasbro characters, such as My Little Pony, Transformers, GI Joe, Pound Puppies, and Littlest Pet Shop, shows based on American Greetings characters such as Strawberry Shortcake and Care Bears, original series such as Dan Vs and RL Stine's The Haunting Hour, and a ton of old syndicated shows (particularly from Fox Kids and Kids WB), such as Men In Black, Batman Beyond, Tiny Toon Adventures, Animaniacs, Batman Beyond, Batman: TAS, Fraggle Rock, and Atomic Betty. Late at night, they would play old syndicated sitcoms.

In short, it was the perfect kids channel. They had all different kinds of shows that were pretty much all well crafted and very entertaining to watch. on top of that, then that works overall branding and presentations just made it feel like they actually cared and wanted to make this channel as kick ass as possible.

Other kids channels back then such as Nickelodeon, Disney Channel, and Cartoon Network were crap by comparison during that time. Nick was basically the SpongeBob channel and had nothing else going for them, Disney had only 1 good cartoon (Phineas and Ferb) while the rest was just a bunch of cheap kiddie sitcoms, and while CN had some good shows, they also had a ton of crappy shows and were still trying with those live-action shows.

However, The Hub only lasted about 4 years on the air. On October 13, 2014, Discovery bought 10% of Hasbro's stake and renamed the channel to Discovery Family. Now, all the variety is gone and the whole channel is basically 12 hours of My Little Pony, Transformers, and Littlest Pet Shop, followed by 12 hours of Cake Boss.

The reason given for the failure of The Hub was that because Hasbro owned 50% of it, other toy companies like Mattel weren't willing to air advertisements on it, resulting in less money coming in.

I think another reason it failed was because it was a digital cable channel, part of a higher subscription tier than the big 3 kids channels (Nick, Disney, and CN). If they wanted it to have a bigger audience, they should have done their best to make sure it was on basic cable subscription tiers.

Dr.Pepper

Staff member
I remember it, but unfortunately I didn’t watch it much. I pretty much only saw it when I had to take care of my grandma in the early 2010s.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
I only really have strong attachment to LPS (2012) / AWOO and Dan Vs. from this regime, honestly. It had some reasonably good action shows, but I'm not as attached to them, sadly.

Dudley

Staff member
The Hub was pretty awesome. I miss Kaijudo. Ended up being one of my favorite cartoons of all time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
Yes! I remember The Hub Network very very well. I was hyped for it back when it first came out in 2010, and I loved it. Not to mention, I got into MLP in 2013 and I remember watching the Season 4 premiere on TV.

Such great memories.

ToonsJazzLover

The Hub sounded cool but I never got to watch much of it when it was still known by that name. I wanted to watch Dan Vs and I only saw an episode of that show.

the_joker

Can't think of a title
I never had The Hub channel, but I did like that it had a variety of shows including old cartoons from Kids WB and Fox Kids as well as its own exclusive shows like Transformers: Prime.

It's funny that I miss the channel even though it was never available for me at any point. I suppose I just miss the variety of old and new shows it had to differentiate itself from its competitors.

harry580

I never had The Hub channel, but I did like that it had a variety of shows including old cartoons from Kids WB and Fox Kids as well as its own exclusive shows like Transformers: Prime.

It's funny that I miss the channel even though it was never available for me at any point. I suppose I just miss the variety of old and new shows it had to differentiate itself from its competitors.
that comment that your mentioned fox kids make me wish for fox kids shows from bvs/saban would have aired on the hub

JMTV

A Little Meatwad

Yeah, I completely understand. That's another thing that I really missed about The Hub Network is that they a lot of great variety of shows like you mentioned with Fox Kids and Kids WB. The Hub was like a classic throwback of Saturday morning cartoons, but adding new things for a brand new audiences. Plus, adding new game shows and classic sitcom reruns was also a treat to see. Shame that we don't see that kind of stuff anymore.

harry580

Yeah, I completely understand. That's another thing that I really missed about The Hub Network is that they a lot of great variety of shows like you mentioned with Fox Kids and Kids WB. The Hub was like a classic throwback of Saturday morning cartoons, but adding new things for a brand new audiences. Plus, adding new game shows and classic sitcom reruns was also a treat to see. Shame that we don't see that kind of stuff anymore.
yeah, too bad streaming services has taken over that and because with the discovery and hasbro problem for the network also take away the hub

harry580

Yeah, pretty much.
I mean, we proposed to get a power rangers series on the hub but disney owned power rangers at the time of the hub development so that proposal never got off the ground but what if haim saban bought power rangers earlier than 2010 like said 2008 or 2009 and haim Saban put the power rangers on the hub so that would be a game changer for the hub

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Almost forgot to listen to this before the day was up.
Viper wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
Happy 4th of July, Light Lucario. I really hope you get to enjoy the fireworks tonight. Have a wonderful evening.
BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.

Featured Posts