wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
From the front page of AnimeSuperhero.com:

"Underappreciated VA Rachael Lillis Dies Way Too Young"​

o8zo0osi.jpg

"Earlier this year the news broke that anime voice actress Rachael Lillis had come down with breast cancer, and not only that, but a pretty aggressive case of it. A GoFundMe was set up and over $100,000 came in from fans to get her into a better care facility. We had hoped she’d pull through, but….the word came this morning that Lillis died Saturday evening, “peacefully and without pain” according to her sister.

Lillis was not even 20 when she was hired fresh out of high school as part of the trifecta of VAs that made up the Pokemon anime’s English dub. Veronica Taylor was Ash, Eric Stuart was Brock, and Lillis was Misty — in fact she pulled double duty as both Misty and Jessie, an impressive display of range. Most people would probably not guess they were the same person.

Since there were over 100 Pokemon and only so many voice actors, Lillis had to play many of the Pokemon as well — she was Jigglypuff, Vulpix, Venonat, Goldeen and even Pikachu on rare occasions when Ikue Ohtani’s track could not be isolated. At the anime’s peak, Lillis was one of the most familiar voices in the country — until the day The Pokemon Company moved the US dub away from 4Kids and the entire English cast was reset."

Read the full article here.

Classic Speedy

Boogie oogie oogie
Staff member
Reporter
Great write-up Peter, though I'm surprised you didn't mention her lead role in Revolutionary Girl Utena. To me, that's the role I associate with her- her voice of Utena exuded a down-to-earth sweetness (read: not saccharine) but when something got Utena's dander up she could deliver those passionate inflections too. Re-watching the series finale of that show, where she had to emote with great intensity, might be a lot harder now that Lillis is gone.

Shiloh Otter

in my 2nd LPS era
It turns out that she was actually 55 years old. The NY Times interviewed her sister Laurie, who confirmed some of Rachael's personal details.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
It turns out that she was actually 55 years old. The NY Times interviewed her sister Laurie, who confirmed some of Rachael's personal details.

How is there such a descepency in her age? I thought I saw she was born in 1978....

Shiloh Otter

in my 2nd LPS era
How is there such a descepency in her age? I thought I saw she was born in 1978....
some sites (Anime News Network, Behind the Voice Actors, etc) have what I (and obviously others as well) thought was accurate info, considering the high reputations of such websites. Other sites (IMDb for example) did have her age as 55 but since IMDb can be freely edited, there is a lot of false info on it. So... yeah. But if her own sister says she was 55 and born in Niagara Falls, I will believe her.

Classic Speedy

Boogie oogie oogie
Staff member
Reporter
Even 55 is too young to die.

On a related topic, I read an article stating that cancer is on the rise for millennials and Gen X'ers. Be proactive about watching for any changes in your body and take care of your physical and mental health, because nobody else will. (not saying Rachael didn't, you could be as proactive as can be and still get bad luck; this is just a general PSA)

Last edited:

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member

Most sources at the time of posting said 46. NYT is the only one I've heard of that says 55.
I saw this with Judy Tenuta last year. Some people prefer to hide their age, or lie about it, and it causes confusion upon passing. There were several ages listed for Judy and now there are two for Rachael.

the_joker

Can't think of a title
I didn't know Misty and Jessie's voices were from the same person, but it was pretty fun to hear them shout, and Rachel Lillis did well in her deliveries.

As for her age, I'm also definitely believing 55 over 46 as her own sister would definitely know her age. The supposed birth year of 1978 had to come from somewhere, so I wonder how that started, but that's neither here nor there. And 55 years is still too young.

R.I.P. Rachel Lillis

Spotlight

Members online

No members online now.

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

What happened to all our posts from yesterday?
Ok, this was all related to the latest server migration. In addition to not being able to post, I can't log out either well by deleting cookies you can.
Yojimbo wrote on Zedd's profile.
can not post, get this error message (but can post on people's profiles and post status updates)
Forum is back but I (and I assume everyone) can not make a post.
I would love to know what anime are popular in Serbia

Featured Posts