"Scooby-Doo! and Krypto, Too!" Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate this movie

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • ***1/2

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • **1/2

• *1/2

• Ruh-roh

• Total voters

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Superdog to the Rescue!

scoobydookryptoo.jpg

Scooby-Doo! and Krypto, Too!
Studio: Warner Bros. Animation
Release Date: September 26, 2023 DVD (Walmart only) and Digital; October 24, 2023 (General DVD Release)

Synopsis: The world's greatest heroes, DC's Justice League, have mysteriously vanished and a terrifying phantom has taken up residence in The Hall of Justice. Now it's up to the world's greatest super sleuths, Scooby and the gang, to solve the mystery and save our heroes...with a little help from their new pal Krypto the Superdog!

Scooby-Doo! and Krypto, Too! – Special Features
DVD and Digital

-The Scooby of a Thousand Faces! Guest Starring Wonder Woman
-What a Night, for a Dark Knight! Guest Starring Batman
-One Minute Mysteries! Guest Starring The Flash

Discuss the Scooby-Doo! and Krypto, Too! animated release here!

Please note this talkback is for both the Scooby-Doo! and Krypto, Too! animated feature and all aspects of the assorted home media releases. Spoilers are allowed, so those who have yet to see the movie may want to avoid this thread until they have.

Related threads:

-News and Discussion Thread
-Krypto The Superdog "Krypto Scripto" Series Premiere Talkback
-Krypto the Superdog Series Talkback
-Krypto: The Superdog: The Complete Series (DVD) Talkback
-Batman: The Brave and The Bold "Bat-Mite Presents: Batman's Strangest Cases!" Talkback
-Batman: The Brave and The Bold "The Battle of the Superheroes!" Talkback
-Scooby-Doo! and Batman: The Brave and The Bold Talkback
-DC Nation DC Super-Pets! "Joke's on You" Talkback
-DC Nation DC Super-Pets! "Krypto vs. Streaky" Talkback
-DC Nation DC Super-Pets! "World's Finest Bark" Talkback
-DC Nation DC Super-Pets! "The League of Just Us Cows" Talkback
-DC Super Hero Girls "Dog Day After School" Talkback
-DC Super Hero Girls "Gone to the Dogs" Talkback
-DC Super Hero Girls "Pet Peeved" Talkback
-DC Super Hero Girls "All Pets Are Off" Talkback
-DC Super Hero Girls "#BeastsInShow" Talkback
-Justice League Action "Best Day Ever" Talkback
-Teen Titans Go! "Cartoon Feud" Talkback
-Teen Titans Go! "Toilet Water" Talkback
-Happy Halloween, Scooby-Doo! Talkback
-DC League of Super-Pets Talkback
-Batman and Superman: Battle of the Super Sons Talkback

Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. And remember to keep the discussion on-topic!

Frontier

Staff member
All the cameos and easter eggs were fantastic but I especially loved watching Lex Luthor team-up with Mystery Inc and the twist with Mercy and the double twist with Lex taking over as the main villain :evil:.

Poor girl wanted her guy to get his villain game back on and even though she succeeded she still got arrested with him and lost her job. But A for effort :p.

I do kind of wish they'd had a more on-screen resolution all the Supervillains at the end...

And just seeing the James Tucker Legion again was a trip :D!

[classic swim]

SwimShady
This really was a fun show that they did.

I’m glad it’s being seen today, and I wish the talk/situation surrounding it went by more swimmingly. But you’re in for a treat. Lex vs Velma rivalry was cute.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
The best part of the movie, like all Scooby-Doo! stories, are the character dynamics. Who will the guest star mesh with the most? Of course Krypto would be compatible with Shaggy and Scooby but overall endearing to everyone. Pretty cool that Mercy Graves turns out to be the original bad guy of the story but she really just wanted to see Lex Luthor get back into his prime villainy status. Then he basically co-opts and reveals his own real estate agenda. And is the classic Scooby comeuppance, she succeeded but got arrested and fired. Lex, himself, it was amusing to see him forced to work with Mystery Incorporated, namely the "rivalry" with Velma. It was also amusing to comment on Lois not seeing through Clark's glasses disguise by showing she doesn't recognize Velma if she isn't wearing her glasses. Last but not least, the red herrings have to be interesting in that they look very guilty or they end up as entertaining allies. Here it's thankfully the latter with Helen the Food Truck Lady and the valet J.B. who gets to drive all the super hero vehicles.

On the surface level, "Scooby-Doo! and Krypto, Too!" is your standard Scooby mystery. The gang ends up in a spooky place, there's a ghost that isn't really a ghost, there's a bunch of red herrings, a couple chases, the mystery has a logical explanation, a trap, and the villain(s) are caught at the end. The only difference with Krypto, Too! are the inclusion of DC characters much like past crossovers. The repetitive formula and structure of a Scooby story may be off-putting to those coming into this thinking it's a DC story. The top billing is "Scooby-Doo!" after all. Unfortunately when a major villain duo like Lex Luthor and Mercy Graves shows up during a mystery taking place in the Hall of Doom when the Justice League are gone further distills any aspect of mystery or stakes. Let's face it, you guessed it within the first five minutes. On the other hand, if you're coming to Scooby-Doo you're not expecting shades of Agatha Christie.

Some aspects in the movie get a bit too trite like Velma countering Lex had only won the popular vote when he was president or a tad morbid if you dwell on it like the "Happy birthday, Second Robin" bit. Fred being insecure and jealous about Daphne and Jimmy or Lex repeatedly getting lost wore a bit thin by the end. The important thing to remember is this is a Scooby structured story with DC characters through the Scooby lens. Some DC fans may not like the story for that reason, get impatient with how the narrative makes its way to the resolution, or even find this take on Lex too jarring. Or perhaps from the start, you're wondering of all people Lois could have called for help – why Mystery Inc? Were all the other DC heroes busy? Didn't exactly see any of them trying to help stop the chaos in Metropolis. Or did a 1970s van bouncing from roof to roof take no inherent damage put you out of it?

Like most of these Scooby-Doo! Movies, this is mostly standalone in that you don't have to watch the previous movies to get what is going on. Unless you've been under a rock for the past 70 years, everyone knows the basic premise of Scooby-Doo. While there may be a lot more that went over my head, there were some notable references to the overall Scooby franchise like Solomon Grundy being mistaken for the classic bad guy, the Creeper, the swamp gas theory throwing shade on a bit from the Return to Zombie Island movie, and the Scooby Snax box being reused from the Cyber Chase movie. The majority of homages, references are easter eggs lay in the realm of DC Comics. Adults well-versed in the comics and animation will spot many things right from the start like a nod to the title sequence of the Justice League animated series, references to Superfriends and Challenge of the Superfriends like the Hall of Justice and the Troub-Alert, mentions or references of other DC characters like Green Lantern, Mad Mod, Sinestro, Cheetah, Green Arrow, Wonder Twins, Zatanna and Zatara, Guy Gardner's Warriors bar, Apache Chief, Black Vulcan, Samurai, Atlantis, Martian Manhunter, Robin, Speedy, Jason Todd, and Storm to name a few, power rings from every Lantern Corps out there, one of the supersuits from Superman: The Animated Series, a famous quote from Batman: The Animated Series, and Lex quoting one of Lex's line from Superman: The Movie. The three unexpected easter eggs were The Beatles and Dynomutt at the beginning and end of the movie respectively and a cameo of the Legion of Super-Heroes season 2 cast. Overall, a nice spread of trivia from the past 60 years or so.

The special features for the movie are bare bones to say the least. If you are a long time viewer of the DC animated movie lines and I suspect these Scooby-Doo! movies, this is the norm. The special features are three episodes of the Scooby-Doo and Guess Who? Animated series that ended in October 1, 2021. The episodes feature DC guest-stars, Batman, the Flash, and Wonder Woman. Akin to the DC animated movie's DC Vault special feature of padding a release with episodes of already released content, there isn't much to gain from these three episodes unless of course if one has never seen them before. But if you're buying a Scooby movie, odds are you have seen them and have the DVD season sets. Like the broken record that I am, where's the audio commentary or behind-the-scenes making-of special feature? Not even a primer on Krypto in animation? It is also very disappointing the physical release is DVD only when the digital version is clearly in 1080p so the absence of a Blu-ray is always glaring and confounding. Even more riling, is the DVD is only available at Walmart stores for month then the usual places like Amazon will have it for sale on October 24.

Overall, somewhere in the middle for me. 3/5 for the movie, 2/5 for the special features.The limited DVD release, lack of a Blu-ray, and lack of special features was disappointing but not a surprise. The range of easter eggs for long time fans of both franchises and the entertaining interpersonal character dynamics of the main cast and guest stars are the strength of the movie more so than the actual mystery.

Frontier

Staff member
The best part of the movie, like all Scooby-Doo! stories, are the character dynamics. Who will the guest star mesh with the most? Of course Krypto would be compatible with Shaggy and Scooby but overall endearing to everyone. Pretty cool that Mercy Graves turns out to be the original bad guy of the story but she really just wanted to see Lex Luthor get back into his prime villainy status. Then he basically co-opts and reveals his own real estate agenda. And is the classic Scooby comeuppance, she succeeded but got arrested and fired. Lex, himself, it was amusing to see him forced to work with Mystery Incorporated, namely the "rivalry" with Velma. It was also amusing to comment on Lois not seeing through Clark's glasses disguise by showing she doesn't recognize Velma if she isn't wearing her glasses. Last but not least, the red herrings have to be interesting in that they look very guilty or they end up as entertaining allies. Here it's thankfully the latter with Helen the Food Truck Lady and the valet J.B. who gets to drive all the super hero vehicles.

On the surface level, "Scooby-Doo! and Krypto, Too!" is your standard Scooby mystery. The gang ends up in a spooky place, there's a ghost that isn't really a ghost, there's a bunch of red herrings, a couple chases, the mystery has a logical explanation, a trap, and the villain(s) are caught at the end. The only difference with Krypto, Too! are the inclusion of DC characters much like past crossovers. The repetitive formula and structure of a Scooby story may be off-putting to those coming into this thinking it's a DC story. The top billing is "Scooby-Doo!" after all. Unfortunately when a major villain duo like Lex Luthor and Mercy Graves shows up during a mystery taking place in the Hall of Doom when the Justice League are gone further distills any aspect of mystery or stakes. Let's face it, you guessed it within the first five minutes. On the other hand, if you're coming to Scooby-Doo you're not expecting shades of Agatha Christie.

Some aspects in the movie get a bit too trite like Velma countering Lex had only won the popular vote when he was president or a tad morbid if you dwell on it like the "Happy birthday, Second Robin" bit. Fred being insecure and jealous about Daphne and Jimmy or Lex repeatedly getting lost wore a bit thin by the end. The important thing to remember is this is a Scooby structured story with DC characters through the Scooby lens. Some DC fans may not like the story for that reason, get impatient with how the narrative makes its way to the resolution, or even find this take on Lex too jarring. Or perhaps from the start, you're wondering of all people Lois could have called for help – why Mystery Inc? Were all the other DC heroes busy? Didn't exactly see any of them trying to help stop the chaos in Metropolis. Or did a 1970s van bouncing from roof to roof take no inherent damage put you out of it?

Like most of these Scooby-Doo! Movies, this is mostly standalone in that you don't have to watch the previous movies to get what is going on. Unless you've been under a rock for the past 70 years, everyone knows the basic premise of Scooby-Doo. While there may be a lot more that went over my head, there were some notable references to the overall Scooby franchise like Solomon Grundy being mistaken for the classic bad guy, the Creeper, the swamp gas theory throwing shade on a bit from the Return to Zombie Island movie, and the Scooby Snax box being reused from the Cyber Chase movie. The majority of homages, references are easter eggs lay in the realm of DC Comics. Adults well-versed in the comics and animation will spot many things right from the start like a nod to the title sequence of the Justice League animated series, references to Superfriends and Challenge of the Superfriends like the Hall of Justice and the Troub-Alert, mentions or references of other DC characters like Green Lantern, Mad Mod, Sinestro, Cheetah, Green Arrow, Wonder Twins, Zatanna and Zatara, Guy Gardner's Warriors bar, Apache Chief, Black Vulcan, Samurai, Atlantis, Martian Manhunter, Robin, Speedy, Jason Todd, and Storm to name a few, power rings from every Lantern Corps out there, one of the supersuits from Superman: The Animated Series, a famous quote from Batman: The Animated Series, and Lex quoting one of Lex's line from Superman: The Movie. The three unexpected easter eggs were The Beatles and Dynomutt at the beginning and end of the movie respectively and a cameo of the Legion of Super-Heroes season 2 cast. Overall, a nice spread of trivia from the past 60 years or so.

The special features for the movie are bare bones to say the least. If you are a long time viewer of the DC animated movie lines and I suspect these Scooby-Doo! movies, this is the norm. The special features are three episodes of the Scooby-Doo and Guess Who? Animated series that ended in October 1, 2021. The episodes feature DC guest-stars, Batman, the Flash, and Wonder Woman. Akin to the DC animated movie's DC Vault special feature of padding a release with episodes of already released content, there isn't much to gain from these three episodes unless of course if one has never seen them before. But if you're buying a Scooby movie, odds are you have seen them and have the DVD season sets. Like the broken record that I am, where's the audio commentary or behind-the-scenes making-of special feature? Not even a primer on Krypto in animation? It is also very disappointing the physical release is DVD only when the digital version is clearly in 1080p so the absence of a Blu-ray is always glaring and confounding. Even more riling, is the DVD is only available at Walmart stores for month then the usual places like Amazon will have it for sale on October 24.

Overall, somewhere in the middle for me. 3/5 for the movie, 2/5 for the special features.The limited DVD release, lack of a Blu-ray, and lack of special features was disappointing but not a surprise. The range of easter eggs for long time fans of both franchises and the entertaining interpersonal character dynamics of the main cast and guest stars are the strength of the movie more so than the actual mystery.
Lex just stole the show throughout the entire movie in my mind :p.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Lex just stole the show throughout the entire movie in my mind :p.
9/28: Charles Halford was clearly having fun with that role. "Why won't anyone take my money?" lol.

10/17: Looks like the general release has moved from October 24 to December 31, at least on Amazon.

11/13: $8 on Amazon right now if anyone's been holding back until a big discount.

11/27: Streams on Max starting December 25.

Last edited:

Medinnus

Staff member
My expectations from a Scobby crossover were set because, well, Scooby. The feature exceeded my expectations. As an episode of YOUNG JUSTICE, it would be crappy and dismissable; and a Scooby crossover, it was just right (at least for me).

Frontier

Staff member
My expectations from a Scobby crossover were set because, well, Scooby. The feature exceeded my expectations. As an episode of YOUNG JUSTICE, it would be crappy and dismissable; and a Scooby crossover, it was just right (at least for me).
Now I imagine a Scooby-Doo and Young Justice crossover where they both poke fun at each other :p.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Now I imagine a Scooby-Doo and Young Justice crossover where they both poke fun at each other :p.
11/28: Odd choice to compare against this movie aside, we know they did pitch a YJ meets Scooby-Doo movie over a decade ago. And of course, the cameo/reuse of the girls in that one Scooby wrestling DTV.

Just realized when it streams on Max, it'll probably be at least a 1080p Blu-ray quality version which will likely never release on a Blu-ray. Shrug.

12/26: Now on Max as of 12/25.

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Scooby Doo! And Krypto Too!

I thoroughly enjoyed that. And am still not giving it a passing grade. There are certain things in these kinds of projects I consider dealbreakers, this broke them. And how.

But as a fan of kid-friendly DC cartoons I was in Heaven. I loved the bit with Velma's glasses confusing Jimmy and Lois, and I love that Daphne claims when she and Jimmy wee crowned Mr and Mrs. Redhead, they were being bullied. Can you picture that girl being bullied? Neither can I. Which is why it's funny. I don't know TOO much about the Scooby canon, but it was fun seeing Fred jealous, and confirming they are actually together. What else?

I was surprised Batman didn't show up at the end. We saw Joker, Harley, and the Utility belt, I wonder why he didn't show up.

The parking valet J.B. was pretty funny.

I haven't enjoyed an animated Lex Luthor this much in ages. Hell, I haven't enjoyed a live-action one this much recently either. I love he's essentially a member of the Scooby gang for the movie.

So here's my deal and why it was broken. But as well as this movie did for DC fans is how dirty it did by Scooby Doo. And I am not a slavish Scooby fan. To be honest, the inherent stupidity of most of the franchise (and it's present here for the Scooby and Shaggy jokes) is something I will never appreciate. But I love that Stephen Hawking loved the show for providing scientific explanations for unexplained supernatural phenomena. To be clear, I don't ENIRELY agree with that praise, simply because the scientific explanations for that stuff is always drivel and bogus. But I dig the appeal of a cartoon that appealed to the rational, and taught kids to be skeptical of b.s. and parlor tricks. It gave kids a healthy mistrust of authority for that reason too. Scooby Doo was the stupidest cartoon on the air in the 1970's. But it also taught kids critical thinking skills which was its entire paradox. No wonder a scientist like Hawking was drawn to it.

When I saw the Mystery Machine being chased by Giganta and Solomon Grundy, I was like "If Hawking saw this, he'd get up out of his wheelchair and walk out in disgust." His voice-box would annunciate his rage with the same raw anger as Annie Wilkes in "Misery". There were supernatural elements to Scooby Doo Meets Batman: The Brave and the Bold too, but part of the gag of the mystery solve there is that Clayface defies explanation. The Mystery Inc Gang treating Zod and his Kryptonian followers as matter of course is just plain wrong.

Everybody I know who will watch this film will do so for the DC stuff, so they won't care. Neither will little kids. I guess I'm outraged on behalf of Hawking a little. And I kind of think I'm right to be. When you have a Phantom Zone projector and a cosmic treadmill in the Scooby franchise, you've kind of lost the plot there. **1/2.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
The News Teams' own Christopher Glennon recent posted this review on the front page of AnimeSuperhero.com:

"Review: “Scooby-Doo! And Krypto, Too!” Serves Up a Mystery in the DCU"​

Scooby-Doo-and-Krypto-Too-title-card-scaled.jpg

"The Scooby-Doo franchise has intersected with the heroes of the DC Universe a number of times since its inception. Scooby-Doo, Where Are You! in the late 1960’s propelled Hanna-Barbera into its “talking creature and plucky hero team” phase of the 1970’s. When Hanna-Barbera got its hands on the Justice League in 1973, they were put through the Scooby-Doo lens and thus was born Super Friends. The team’s mascot, Wonder Dog, may not have survived the first season, but Super Friends never quite got rid of its youthful sidekick characters.

Batman, in particular, has developed a healthy working relationship with the Scooby-Doo gang. Batman and Robin guest starred in a couple episodes of The New Scooby-Doo Movies in 1972 and again in 2020 on Scooby-Doo and Guess Who? Scooby-Doo and company guest-starred on an episode of Batman the Brave and the Bold and then co-starred in the movie Scooby-Doo! & Batman: The Brave and the Bold. With Scooby-Doo comic books being published under the DC Comics umbrella since 1997, it was just a matter of time until Mystery Incorporated would meet the Justice League. It’s odd that it has taken so long, but Scooby-Doo has finally met DC’s most famous super powered canine, Krypto the Superdog."

Read the full review here.

Antiyonder

Amalgam Universe Overlord
Staff member
So I wonder if we'll get a special including Ace, then perhaps both DC dogs and Scooby?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
So I wonder if we'll get a special including Ace, then perhaps both DC dogs and Scooby?
Sounds like that would be logical plan of DTVs. Another crime fighting dog meets the gang. Batman was noticeably absent but a lot of his stuff was referenced in the museum at the Hall of Justice plus some of his rogues showed up. But with the new regime, who knows if such a plan would still be in play or already nixed.

Frontier

Staff member
Sounds like that would be logical plan of DTVs. Another crime fighting dog meets the gang. Batman was noticeably absent but a lot of his stuff was referenced in the museum at the Hall of Justice plus some of his rogues showed up. But with the new regime, who knows if such a plan would still be in play or already nixed.
Also there are a ton of Scooby-Doo and Batman team-up comics and the Brave and the Bold crossover was a lot of fun :).

Heeroyuy_Batman

I really like the movie. Great Easter eggs, great story, fun all around. So, does what DC continuity was this in? It clearly wasn't Batman: The Brave & the Bold and I don't think it was that of The New Scooby-Doo Movies Batman crossovers or Scooby-Doo and Guess Who. So, Superfriends? If so, does this mean Legion of Super Heroes was in continuity with Superfriends or perhaps in continuity with a version of the Justice League that Superfriends was based on?

Otaku-sempai

I really like the movie. Great Easter eggs, great story, fun all around. So, does what DC continuity was this in? It clearly wasn't Batman: The Brave & the Bold and I don't think it was that of The New Scooby-Doo Movies Batman crossovers or Scooby-Doo and Guess Who. So, Superfriends? If so, does this mean Legion of Super Heroes was in continuity with Superfriends or perhaps in continuity with a version of the Justice League that Superfriends was based on?
The most direct connection seems to be to the Krpto The Superdog animated series. Krypto seems to have existed on its own.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.
Happy 4th of July!
Oh, it's my birthday!
The New Woody Woodpecker Show was just removed from Peacock... Can this show just take a break from being screwed over?

Featured Posts