Sesame Street Thread

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
Perhaps someone who's seen Sesame Street in the last few years can answer this:, is Herry Monster still on the show? I haven't heard anything about that character in years. I assume that he's been retired, and if so, that's too bad. I always liked Herry more than Telly.

Last edited:

Moe

I watched Sesame Street sometime when I was young kid in early 1990s, but not much as I did watch on Nickelodeon, The Disney Channel, USA's Cartoon Express, Fox Kids and Disney Afternoon.

Sesame Street and other PBS shows (Mister Rogers' Neighborhood) are closed captioned since 1980s from WGBH, long time before shows on Nickelodeon didn't start until early 1990s. That was big plus.

I noticed some parents hated Street Sesame and as for me, I have a lot of respect for creators made Street Sesame - they are awesome show.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Perhaps someone who's seen Sesame Street in the last few years can answer this:, is Harry Monster still on the show? I haven't heard anything about that character in years. I assume that he's been retired, and if so, that's too bad. I always liked Harry more than Telly.
It's Herry Monster and while he can still sometimes be seen in clips (The John-John one is a big fave) I don't believe he's made a recent new appearance.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
It's Herry Monster and while he can still sometimes be seen in clips (The John-John one is a big fave) I don't believe he's made a recent new appearance.
Yeah, I thought that it might've been Herry. I can fix that. Like I said before, it's been a while.

Zorak Masaki

Still kind of upset that HBO MAX went back on their promise to have every episode of Sesame Street ever on there (though there are certain segments that couldnt be aired anyway, either due to IP/Copyright reasons or questionable celebrity involvement)

Dr.Pepper

Staff member
This randomly popped into my head but was it ever confirmed or debunked that Bert and Ernie were named after the characters from Its a Wonderful Life?

PinkieLopBun

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
This randomly popped into my head but was it ever confirmed or debunked that Bert and Ernie were named after the characters from Its a Wonderful Life?
Debunked. According to Jerry Juhl, Jon Stone, the first producer and head writer for Sesame Street, and Jim Henson decided one looked like an Ernie and the other looked like a Bert.
One Jerry Juhl writes: "I was the head writer for the Muppets for 36 years and one of the original writers on 'Sesame Street.' The rumor about 'It's a Wonderful Life' has persisted over the years.
"I was not present at the naming, but I was always positive it was incorrect. Despite his many talents, Jim had no memory for details like this. He knew the movie, of course, but would not have remembered the cop and the cabdriver. I was not able to confirm this with Jim before he died, but shortly thereafter I spoke to Jon Stone, Sesame Street's first producer and head writer and a man largely responsible for the show's format. (Jon, sadly, is no longer with us either.)
"He assured me that Ernie and Bert were named one day when he and Jim were studying the prototype puppets. They decided that one of them looked like an Ernie, and the other one looked like a Bert. The movie character names are purely coincidental.

Also, It’s a Wonderful Life was originally a flop and didn’t become popular until after it entered the public domain in 1974. It’s not impossible they knew about it when they were developing Sesame Street, but there’s a good chance they didn’t.

That didn’t stop Elmo Saves Christmas from having a little fun with it, though.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes
Xilam is one of my most favourite animation studios, I enjoy alot of their cartoons from Hubert and Takako, Oggy and the Cockroaches and Zig and Sharko. Xilam is a studio that has inspired many and has created endless classics that we enjoy.

What's your most fond memory of Xilam?
Given how Drew Barrymore's production company Flower Films has mainly made live action projects for older audiences, them producing the TV special Olive The Other Reindeer and the Netflix preschool show Princess Power are definitely quite unusual. It would certainly explain the humor of the latter.
According to TVInsider, MTV2 will premiere Sponge on the Run movie on Sat Jul 13 at 6pm
It's such a shame that the anime with the long-pink-haired girls like Hinagiku Katsura and Bocchi are never officially dubbed into English. What do you think?

Featured Posts