Should Deadpool appear in "Wolverine And The X-Men?"

Stu

Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Hey,

I've just managed to sit down and watch the Hulk vs Wolverine movie and from my own experience, the reviews I've read here and the creative team's own assesment of the film, Deadpool has officially stolen the show.

Since the movie is a violent prequel to Wolverine And The X-Men and Deadpool actually managed to survive the Weapon X facility being blown to bits on top of him, do you think it's worth them bringing him back in a future episode of Wolverine And The X-Men?

Please be weary of spoiling episodes of Wolverine And The X-Men that haven't aired outside the states yet.

deadpool.jpg

Image Courtesy of Marvel Animation Age

suss2it

No, because if he did appear in Wolverine and the X-Men it would be an extremely watered down version of him, and it would probably take the fun out of him

On another note, why does everyone say that Hulk Vs. Wolverine is a prequel?

In Hulk Vs Wolverine Wolverine and Sabertooth fight each other, and yet in Wolverine and the X-Men Wolverine has no idea who Sabertooth is.

The New Titans

Man of Marvel Marching Society
If they did it would have to be the lunatiuc Deadpool from Joe Kelly's run on the comic. And John Kassir must voice him again! As much as I liked Nolan North, I still think he's the better Deadpool, probably because his voice just hit me more as the kind his Deadpool would have - a squeaky Plastic Man type voice.

Rick Jones

Big Fan
Staff member
If they did it would have to be the lunatiuc Deadpool from Joe Kelly's run on the comic. And John Kassir must voice him again! As much as I liked Nolan North, I still think he's the better Deadpool, probably because his voice just hit me more as the kind his Deadpool would have - a squeaky Plastic Man type voice.
Personally Kassir's Deadpool voice was a little too exaggerated at times. Sort of like listening to a psychopathic Daffy Duck.

I don't really see a problem with Deadpool being on the show. Sure he can't hack or be hacked on a kids' show but that's not all there is to him. He can be just as funny or kick***** on WaTX, if done right. I thought Nolan North was great, by the way.

Wonderwall

Staff member
I wouldn't be against it. Wolverine still works even though he's watered down and Deadpool you could still do more( he can still shoot, he just wouldn't hit anything:p) and he'd probably be entertaining as Nolan North already works on the show. Doubt he would mind pulling double duty, even though he probably plays like six people:D

Jeffrey Logan

When and where did John Kassir do the voice of Deadpool?
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (if wikipedia is wrong about it, then someone corrects me) in 2006.
I think after X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Deadpool becomes a must-do character.
Thanks to his sense of humor, he is welcome everywhere. After watching Hulk VS. Wolverine I do have an interest to see him more. It also surprised me, because as little as I knew about Deadpool, I expected him to be a human being. If this movie had been made around 5 years ago, I would've thought: Why is Spider-Man dressed in red and black and why does he need all those weapons? I'll try to make a research on how Deadpool sounds with John Kassir's voice, because in moment I couldn't believe anyone voicing Deadpool better than Nolan North (probably Ryan Reynolds could do that in a game based on X-Men Origins: Wolverine).
By The Way: Nolan North also had a job at Marvel: Ultimate Alliance. He voiced Ghost Rider and Moon Knight.
By The Way 2: Nolan North has also been Hank Pym/Giant Man in Ultimate Avengers movies, Raphael in TMNT (2007, including the game), Cyclops and Pyro in Wolverine and the X-Men (Deadpool would be his 3rd role).

Last edited by a moderator:

spyke

Hey,

I've just managed to sit down and watch the Hulk vs Wolverine movie and from my own experience, the reviews I've read here and the creative team's own assesment of the film, Deadpool has officially stolen the show.

Since the movie is a violent prequel to Wolverine And The X-Men and Deadpool actually managed to survive the Weapon X facility being blown to bits on top of him, do you think it's worth them bringing him back in a future episode of Wolverine And The X-Men?

Please be weary of spoiling episodes of Wolverine And The X-Men that haven't aired outside the states yet.

deadpool.jpg

Image Courtesy of Marvel Animation Age

Yes he should DEFINITELY appear in WATXM. Tone him down a LITTLE, and he would be perfectly suitable for a kids cartoon. He would be like a cross between the animated versions of Lobo and the Creeper from the 90's Superman and Batman cartoons.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
Yeah Hulk VS. is not a prequel to Wolverine and the X-men. No connection, both separate in continuity.

I think the point of Deadpool's appearance in Hulk VS. Wolverine is because you can't really do Deadpool in a Saturday morning cartoon type of deal. And we probably won't see him in Wolverine and The X-men.

Yeah Hulk VS. is not a prequel to Wolverine and the X-men. No connection, both separate in continuity.

Craig Kyle and Christopher Yost don't quite agree with you.

Kyle: "The beauty of it is that [voice actors] Steve Blum and Fred Tatasciore, both Wolverine and Hulk connect. They play those roles for us in the animated movie and in the television series. So this would be the first time they fight and the sequel happens in episode seven of the show. So that was the rematch. "

Yost: To satisfy fans whom may be looking for continuity between “Hulk Vs. Wolverine” and the animated series “Wolverine and X-Men,” for which Yost also writes, he said there is a connection but it's more in spirit. “They exist in kind of the same universe,” Yost said. “One could lead to the other. Hulk and Wolverine have met before, they've fought before. You could theoretically say that this little feature is a prequel to what happens later down the road in 'Wolverine and the X-Men.'”

(both from interviews with cbr)

So while the two can stand alone, they can also fit together.

The only problem, and I don't think it's a big problem, is that Wolverine didn't recognize Sabertooth in WatX. Presumably the Weapon X group got a hold of Wolverine again after the fight and were able to wipe his mind again.

I think the point of Deadpool's appearance in Hulk VS. Wolverine is because you can't really do Deadpool in a Saturday morning cartoon type of deal. And we probably won't see him in Wolverine and The X-men.

If you can do a Saturday morning cartoon of a guy who's famous for gutting people with sharp pointy claws, you can do a Saturday morning version of a guy with guns. I mean, they used the Punisher in Spidey TAS, so a safe-for-kids version of Deadpool shouldn't be too hard.

sb

suss2it

Kyle: "The beauty of it is that [voice actors] Steve Blum and Fred Tatasciore, both Wolverine and Hulk connect. They play those roles for us in the animated movie and in the television series. So this would be the first time they fight and the sequel happens in episode seven of the show. So that was the rematch. "

Yost: To satisfy fans whom may be looking for continuity between “Hulk Vs. Wolverine” and the animated series “Wolverine and X-Men,” for which Yost also writes, he said there is a connection but it's more in spirit. “They exist in kind of the same universe,” Yost said. “One could lead to the other. Hulk and Wolverine have met before, they've fought before. You could theoretically say that this little feature is a prequel to what happens later down the road in 'Wolverine and the X-Men.'”

The only problem, and I don't think it's a big problem, is that Wolverine didn't recognize Sabertooth in WatX. Presumably the Weapon X group got a hold of Wolverine again after the fight and were able to wipe his mind again.

What about the fact that professor is killed by Sabertooth in Hulk Vs, but he's alive, and has both hands in Wolverine and the X-Men?

If you can do a Saturday morning cartoon of a guy who's famous for gutting people with sharp pointy claws, you can do a Saturday morning version of a guy with guns. I mean, they used the Punisher in Spidey TAS, so a safe-for-kids version of Deadpool shouldn't be too hard.

sb
What exactly is Deadpool gonna do anyway? Every time he shoots he'll either miss or be shooting darts, or some laser weapon, and because it's for kids, I can picture his jokes being really corny.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter

They don't fit together. Things happen in the episode and Hulk VS. Wolverine that if they were to fit together totally contradict the other. So I think you can't take what Yost said at face value.

The fact is they do NOT fit.

There are A LOT more problems that that.

sb

Wolverine's name isn't Deadpool.

jph139

Immortal
That's a good question.

On one hand, he would definitely be toned down - no more excessive gunplay, no more bloody violence, and no more "dead baby" humor. But on the other, they could definitely retain the spirit of the character. Have him use his katana thingy more than his other weapons and make him kinda... I dunno, Spider-Mannish as far as combat goes, and I could definitely picture Deadpool on WatXM.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
I'd rather Deadpool just get his own animated movie for DVD. That way he wouldn't have to be toned down at all.

What about the fact that professor is killed by Sabertooth in Hulk Vs, but he's alive, and has both hands in Wolverine and the X-Men?

The Professor wasn't dead, the last we saw him.

Deadpool: [taps the Professor on the back with his foot, and the Prof groans]: "Well he's alive, but I think he's gonna need some serious TLC!"
(That's right around the 22 minute mark.)

As for the hand, better prosthetics. I mean, really, after you've seen Lady Deathstrike, why would you settle for a rudimentary claw?

What exactly is Deadpool gonna do anyway? Every time he shoots he'll either miss or be shooting darts, or some laser weapon, and because it's for kids, I can picture his jokes being really corny.

He'll use his guns on robots and doors, the same way Wolverine uses his claws.

sb

They don't fit together. Things happen in the episode and Hulk VS. Wolverine that if they were to fit together totally contradict the other. So I think you can't take what Yost said at face value.

The fact is they do NOT fit.

There are A LOT more problems that that.

Such as...? I've watched Hulk vs. Wolverine a few times and all the Canadian episodes (haven't caught this week's though) and I haven't seen anything egregious.

Wolverine's name isn't Deadpool.
My point was that Wolverine is known for violence, yet he's been tamed and put on cartoons. Deadpool can be tamed as well.

I'm restating my point because I don't understand your "Wolverine's name isn't Deadpool" reply.

sb

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
They won't put a character on Wolverine and the X-men named Deadpool.

Wolverine makes a pointed reference about what part of Banner he's met. Banner does meet Wolverine in the movie.

suss2it

The Professor wasn't dead, the last we saw him.

Deadpool: [taps the Professor on the back with his foot, and the Prof groans]: "Well he's alive, but I think he's gonna need some serious TLC!"
(That's right around the 22 minute mark.)

As for the hand, better prosthetics. I mean, really, after you've seen Lady Deathstrike, why would you settle for a rudimentary claw?

He'll use his guns on robots and doors, the same way Wolverine uses his claws.

sb
Say the professor does survive, why would he trust Sabertooth again, after Sabertooth clawed his back out?

And I think Deadpool & even Wolverine, but more so Deadpool work in a PG-13 setting, so I'd much rather Deadpool get a staring, or even supporting role in a DTV, than being watered down, and shooting robots and telling corny jokes.

Bat-Fan Beyond

Say the professor does survive, why would he trust Sabertooth again, after Sabertooth clawed his back out?

And I think Deadpool & even Wolverine, but more so Deadpool work in a PG-13 setting, so I'd much rather Deadpool get a staring, or even supporting role in a DTV, than being watered down, and shooting robots and telling corny jokes.

I, too, would rather see Deadpool get his own DTV DVD.

It's the Weapon X program, not a support group. Considering all the conditioning, mind-wiping, and experimenting, trust doesn't anything to do with it. After all, they were trying to get Wolverine back working for them, a guy who killed a bunch of lab assistants and armed soldiers and amputated the Prof's hand. If the Professor was arrogant enough to think he could control Wolverine (not to mention the Hulk), I can see him being arrogant enough to think he could control Sabes again.

Or maybe Sabertooth said he was really, really sorry, bought some flowers, took him out dancing, cuddled afterwards...

sb

They won't put a character on Wolverine and the X-men named Deadpool.

Because of the name? Haven't we moved past stuff like this already? Do today's cartoons still have bad guys who use "destroy" as a euphemism for "kill"?

Wolverine makes a pointed reference about what part of Banner he's met. Banner does meet Wolverine in the movie.

WOLVERINE: "Bruce Banner, aka the Hulk? Nick Fury says 'hi', by the way."
BANNER: "Fury?"
W: "Yeah. And the Hulk I know just wants to be left alone, not so much into destroying towns just for the heck of it."
B: "Who are you?"
W: "And I figure since every word that comes out of Nick Fury's mouth is half a lie, I should get your side of this."
B: "Do I know you?"
W: "Part of you does."
[Banner nods]

I don't find that a pointed reference. Banner doesn't recognize Wolverine, but considering he met a cowled, aggressive Wolverine x number of years ago, when he was tired, stressed, abused by Weapon X, and between Hulk-outs, I'm not surprised he doesn't remember. Wolverine is smart enough not to discuss their last meeting either, considering he gutted him.* Far from being pointed, the "part of you does" comment is vague. He's definately reffering to the Hulk, but it doesn't mean he hasn't met Banner as well.

I've read several online articles, and most, if not all, of them describe "Hulk vs. Wolverine" as a prequel. Kyle and Yost have said that as well, and since they're writers on both "Hulk vs" and WatX, I trust that they know what they're talking about. And so far I haven't seen anything that proves them wrong.

sb

*I imagine it would go like this: W: "Yeah, I know you Banner. I gutted you last time we met". Banner's stress level goes up, he Hulks-out and attacks Wolverine. The resulting fight causes the cave to collapse. Hulk digs his way out, but Wolverine is trapped, his healing factor keeping him alive in stasis, but he's unable to move. A landslide frees him 20 years in the future, but without his guidance, the X-Men had split and the world is controlled by Sentinels. Except for the Canadian wilderness, which is overrun with wendigos. The end.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The CSC Channels prior to 2017 were actually amazing. A shame it was all thrown under the bus.
Lesson learned. Never talk to anyone ever.
Somebody please give me a show that I won't ever regret watching.
Samurai Champloo, $5 on Apple TV. I know the series is 20 years old which is, like, 100 years in anime world, but definitely worth the buy!
I now genuinely want to see Steve Blum voice Kermit in something official. He is spot on.

Featured Posts