So what was your first animated Christmas Carol?

Antiyonder

Amalgam Universe Overlord
Staff member
Mickey's Christmas Carol for me. Can't remember mind you if it was the actual short first or the cassette tape and read along book.

And as an aside, Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol which being a bit longer has more omitted elements like some people stealing Scrooge's belongings to sell off.

And as an aside not sure how many are familiar with such, but the original and some adaptations where Scrooge feels like those into spreading Merry Christmas should be boiled with their own pudding?

This is what he meant as pudding:

Rick Jones

Big Fan
Staff member
I think as far as animated versions go, it was definitely the Mr Magoo version for me. I'm pretty sure I saw it before I was even in school. It stuck with me for decades before I ever saw it again, especially the graveyard scene . After that, it was probably the Burbank Films version and then I saw the version that had Kate Winslet during the mid-2000s. I don't believe that I got to see the Mickey Mouse version until around 2010, or somewhere around that time. It might have been airing on ABC or Freeform.

prpis

Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs
Gonna have to be…either Mickey’s Christmas Carol or some other show’s adaption of it, but Disney’s comes to mind first. It was my introduction to Scrooge McDuck alongside Mickey’s Once Upon a Christmas. But the Carol’s version stuck with me, for very obvious reasons. His animation was just beautiful.
My next favorite adaption has to be Bah Humduck! From looney tunes.

Pooky

Staff member
Pretty sure it was Mickey's Christmas Carol, although I had already seen Muppets Christmas Carol by that point. I feel like I already knew the general story even before that, but I don't remember how.

I didn't see the Magoo one until my early 20s. It was definitely shown in the UK in the 60s, but it wasn't really "a thing" here, at least not in the 90s while I was growing up. Whereas everyone here knows what Christmas Pudding is!

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I believe it might have been a re-run of The Real Ghostbusters' "Xmas Marks the Spot", of all things. This was probably also my introduction to the story, though technically it was kind of a deconstruction more than anything.

Mickey's Christmas Carol was probably the first more accurate animated adaptation I watched, but am not entirely sure. There were so many made by that point I could find and watch (and it seems they keep on making more).

Pooky

Staff member
I believe it might have been a re-run of The Real Ghostbusters' "Xmas Marks the Spot", of all things. This was probably also my introduction to the story, though technically it was kind of a deconstruction more than anything

Being reminded of that I realise my first exposure to the story may have been from the RG Storybook that had an illustrated summary of that episode (along with two or three other episodes)

PinkieLopBun

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Pretty sure mine was Mickey's Christmas Carol.
I think it was probably Rudolph :)?
He meant animated adaptations of Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol, not animated adaptations of Christmas songs. Or is there a Rudolph one I'm not aware of? All Google got me was the original song, but who knows.

Frontier

Staff member
He meant animated adaptations of Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol, not animated adaptations of Christmas songs. Or is there a Rudolph one I'm not aware of? All Google got me was the original song, but who knows.
Ohhhhhh...okay, then it was either a Mickey's Christmas Carol or the Flinstone's version :p.

Surreal Kangaroo

Staff member
Mickey’s Christmas Carol. It was probably the first thing I remember seeing and really liking. One of the earliest memories was around the time of my third birthday, we got Christmas ornaments of the characters and I was so excited.

Honorable mention would be the Mr. Magoo version, which we had on a home recorded VHS along with every other Christmas special known to man.

Rick Jones

Big Fan
Staff member
I believe it might have been a re-run of The Real Ghostbusters' "Xmas Marks the Spot", of all things. This was probably also my introduction to the story, though technically it was kind of a deconstruction more than anything.
I forget how much I love that episode. It's time for a rewatch.

Ohhhhhh...okay, then it was either a Mickey's Christmas Carol or the Flinstone's version :p.
I forget the Flintstones version. If I remember correctly, it involves Fred and the others being involved in a stage production?

Dantheman

Gee, I never thought about that...
I forget the Flintstones version. If I remember correctly, it involves Fred and the others being involved in a stage production?
You know, that's what I don't get about the Flintstones having Christmas specials: How can they celebrate Christmas, when they live centuries before the birth of Christ? I don't mean to drag religion into this, but it's kinda silly, when you really think about it.

But then again, we're talking about a world where early hominids and dinosaurs coexisted, so I guess we aren't supposed to think too hard about it.

Frontier

Staff member
You know, that's what I don't get about the Flintstones having Christmas specials: How can they celebrate Christmas, when they live centuries before the birth of Christ? I don't mean to drag religion into this, but it's kinda silly, when you really think about it.

But then again, we're talking about a world where early hominids and dinosaurs coexisted, so I guess we aren't supposed to think too hard about it.
That was kind of the bread and butter of The Flinstones :p.

TnAdct1

Ravioli, Ravioli
Definitely Mickey's Christmas Carol, with me being at an age where I didn't understand why Mickey was being called Cratchit throughout the story (i.e. he was playing the role of Bob Cratchit).

Second was the version that was part of Bugs Bunny's Looney Christmas Tales.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
The first animated adaptation that I can recall seeing was Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol. That one would be aired every year on independent station in the 1970s and early 80s.

I only saw the Rankin-Bass adaptation, The Stingiest Man in Town (1978) once, but not until after seeing the Mr. Magoo special. Mickey's Christmas Carol didn't air until 1983.

Silverstar

Strong to th' Finnich

The Nostalgia Critic riffing on the Flintstones Pebbles cereals' Christmas commercial:

Barney: Hey, Fred. How come we celebrate Christmas when Jesus hasn't been born yet?
Fred: Just eat your cereal!

Last edited:

Spotlight

Members online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Has anyone seen PSI Cops last night?

(cricket noises)

Yeah, I still can't believe that was a thing.
Paramount and Skydance have officially merged. Does this mean that Brian Robbins got the boot?
Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes

Featured Posts