"Sonic Generations" is getting a remaster (with new "Shadow" story content)

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
From the front page of AnimeSuperhero.com:

"'Sonic Generations' Returns With Shadow Along For the Ride"​

Sonic-X-Shadow-2.webp

"One of the most well regarded of the “3D” Sonic games is getting a remaster. “Sonic Generations” came out in 2011 to commemorate the 20th anniversary of Sonic the Hedgehog, and was innovative at the time for allowing you to alternate between “Classic Sonic” (in the 2D levels) and “Modern Sonic” (in the 3D levels).

At the “Sony State of Play” presentation on Thursday, SEGA revealed they were bringing back “Sonic Generations” with enhanced visuals, for the Playstation 4 and 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X and S, the Nintendo Switch, and on PC, but there’s more! The title of the revived game is now “Sonic X Shadow Generations”, and the game will feature an all-new story campaign focusing on Shadow, in a plot involving time travel mechanics and visiting locations from previous Sonic games, along with the return of “Black Doom” from the “Shadow the Hedgehog” game."

Here's the trailer for the game:

Read the full article here.

Anyone else pumped up for a remaster of a Sonic game from the "Wii/Xbox 360/PS3" generation?

Mandouga

Wait!

Waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait!

Do you mean to tell me, that this isn’t a new game, but just an existing one with new stuff. The trailer I saw didn’t make it seem that way…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Wait!

Waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait!

Do you mean to tell me, that this isn’t a new game, but just an existing one with new stuff. The trailer I saw didn’t make it seem that way…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best comparison I read online was this was like "Super Mariod 3D World + Bowser's Fury".

"Mario 3D World" came out on the Wii U, then they remade it for the Switch and added on bonus content (the "Bowser's Fury" section of the game).

Classic Speedy

Alllllll righty then
Staff member
Reporter
Oof. I just replayed regular Sonic Generations last year, so while I might get this, it probably won't be a first day purchase.

Generations is one of the better 3D ones, though.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I also thought that this was a brand new game instead of a remaster of Sonic Generations. In retrospect, that does make more sense with the name and I don't think that this is a milestone year for Sonic either, but it wasn't made entirely clear to me with the reveal trailer either.

I've only played the 3DS version of Sonic Generations, but I remember having fun with it. I'll still probably get this down the road too.

Pooky

Staff member
I think it's good that they're adding so much new content, because I feel that while 2011 is a while ago now remastering a game that was made at the start of the HD era wouldn't be that exciting, at least for something like a Sonic game where the visuals are meant to be stylised anyway. Or is that just me being out of touch?

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The first South Park movie is 25 years old today.
New profile pic: Zadie from Work It Out Wombats!
The CSC Channels prior to 2017 were actually amazing. A shame it was all thrown under the bus.
Lesson learned. Never talk to anyone ever.

Featured Posts