"Sonic the Hedgehog (2018 Ongoing Series)" Talkback (Spoilers)

dth1971

Sonic The Hedgehog #1

91E9ZgXtI9L._SY466_.jpg

Did you get your copy of IDW Sonic the Hedgehog #1 as of yet? If so, what did you think of it? Does it hold a candle of the past of the 1992-2017 Archie Sonic comic run?

I know the Freedom Fighters (Sally Acorn included) won't be a part of the comic until at least early 2019, but you'll never know...

Last edited by a moderator:

2-D chirox

I haven't much of the archie series. Given how far back it started it just felt difficult to get into. I considered getting into it last year but I heard the romours of IDW's take over and decided to wait for that. The comic itself felt a little lacking. Not a lot of dialogue or really much story (not until the end). However I hear this is common with new comic book series. It seems like they're taking their time with setting up the characters. Which I assume is to help newcomers to the series. I mean it's been a while since Sega really payed much attention to having an extended universe of characters and as a result I think younger buyers might not have the full context for these characters. I mean for example growing up in the 2000s I had Sonic X to delve into the characters and get me to understand them. The Sonic fans under the age of let's say 16 probably didn't watch much Sonic X or anything else that really showed off the characters.

So I say wait around for things to get more interesting. I do admit I do look forward to the freedom fighters showing up cause I've never really been that into them.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Sonic the Hedgehog #71:

81D3jYsNCSL._SY466_.jpg

Writer: Evan Stanley
Artist: Aaron Hammerstrom

Synopsis:
The Phantom Rider- framed! Sonic’s secret identity is usurped during the next event of the Clean Sweepstakes- leading him and the other riders into a vicious game of smoke and mirrors. Tensions run high as secrets are revealed and sides are taken. Don’t miss it!

Discuss this comic below!

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
What happened to the talkbacks for issue #2 to #70? :p

They weren't worth reading, obviously. ;)

I'm reviving this forum as best I can. Now there's an active "Sonic The Hedgehog" comic discussion thread, if anyone's reading the series still.

J'onn J'onzz

Best Male Member '08
Staff member
Reporter
I haven’t really kept up with the series since the first few issues. I tried reading it early on. It was decent as an action comic introducing a new generation to Sonic, but it felt empty due to the degree to which they have simplified the series compared to Archie comics. I did recently pick up the collection of 25 Years Later Sonic Archie comics put out by Ken Penders, which I hadn’t read in two decades. I can definitely see why they don’t make comics like that anymore, since that story has almost no action and mainly focuses on girls cooking, partying, making out at the park, swimming, chatting about boys, and playing board games at a sleepover. I think something in between the navel gazing of Penders’ most esoteric works (a bio in the back of the new collection contains 20 generations of Echidna ancestors) and the later comics’ overly playing it safe with Sonic as a pure adventure hero unable to cry or have relationships, would be ideal.

Antiyonder

Amalgam Universe Overlord
Staff member
Teaser in the letter pages of IDW Sonic having an upcoming crossover:
6c5695a6.jpg

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Sonic the Hedgehog #72:

81sY-uIufEL._SY466_.jpg

Writer: Evan Stanley
Artist: Aaron Hammerstrom

Synopsis:
Being the Phantom Rider isn't easy, but there's no rest for the wicked. Sonic is caught in a literal perfect storm of a traffic jam, all while he's pursued by the relentless Jet the Hawk! Perhaps an unexpected meeting-and reveal-will help raise his spirits? Meanwhile, aboard the Restoration's ship, Tails and Amy's luck finally runs out!

Discuss this comic below!

Spotlight

Members online

No members online now.

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

What happened to all our posts from yesterday?
Ok, this was all related to the latest server migration. In addition to not being able to post, I can't log out either well by deleting cookies you can.
Yojimbo wrote on Zedd's profile.
can not post, get this error message (but can post on people's profiles and post status updates)
Forum is back but I (and I assume everyone) can not make a post.
I would love to know what anime are popular in Serbia

Featured Posts