Spider-Man In Animation - A Retrospective

Stu

Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Due to the 80’s cartoon market having little use for superheroes in favour of more family friendly shows and Marvel oddly having greater success with other properties besides their own superheroes, the second half of the 80s were a dormant period for Marvel animation. Spider-Man would have surely been featured in the planned Secret Wars show had it ever made it into production, but alas, I have never been able to find any further information on the proposed show.

Warner Bros. got the superhero cartoon ball rolling with their Batman animated show, hot off the heels of their phenomenally successful live action Batman movie in 1989 and Warners commissioned a new animated show to debut shortly after its sequel, Batman Returns in 1992. Marvel had their own plans for their most popular character with Spider-Man and with Margaret Loesch now the head of Fox Kids, she changed the landscape for animation and superheroes were not only fair game, they were her main market. Creating a new demographic of 8-16 year old boys, she thought that audience would prefer superheroes to Smurfs and happily accepted Warner's Batman show and finally commissioned an animated X-Men series, after a decade of being refused by every network going back when she worked for a Marvel. Both Batman and X-Men enjoyed massive success on the network and she wasted no time greenlighting a new animated Spider-Man show.

38.jpg

Hot off the heels of the spectacular Terminator 2: Judgement Day, James Cameron planned his next project to be a live action Spider-Man movie, having finally secured the rights, or so he thought, following a messy, lengthy legal battle. A screenplay was written with production expecting to begin in the early 1990s and executive producer Avi Arad dreamed of Spidey dominating the big and small screen. Unlike X-Men, which wasn't afforded a massive budget, Marvel and Fox shot for the moon with Spider-Man and there would be no AKOM calamities here - Supervising Producer, Bob Richardson who worked with Arad on the 80s Spider-Man shows was hired to oversee the project and he commissioned TMS to animate all 65 episodes of the show. This wasn't a 13 episode trial like X-Men, Fox went straight for a full 65 episode show from the beginning. TMS were easily regarded as the best in the TV animation business at the time and their animation standards surpassed all other back then, and even now. It was THAT good.

Emmy awarding winner Marty Isenberg was hired as the show's story editor, having previously served as a writer on Warner's aforementioned Batman show, to great critical success. Isenberg also wrote a great portion of the acclaimed Batman: Mask of The Phantasm movie, still one of the greatest animated Batman movies ever. He certainly knew how to write superhero cartoons, based on his resume.

Richardson made the decision to digitally colour and ink the show, being one of the first to do this now industry standard practise. 3D animation was also used to create a feeling of vertigo when Spider-Man swung through the air. It's fairly common to 3D in animation these days, usually for vehicles and the like, but it was unheard at the time of Spider-Man's production. Unfortunately, the new technology comes with limitations in that no one is experienced in how it works. The 3D often clashed with the traditional 2D and looks like it was done on the cheap, which I'm assured is not the case. Strenuously overreaching and having to accept lesser results became the story of this show's production by the time it ended, but we will cover that later. Reach for the stars and fall in the clouds? Not quite. The 3D animation usually looked more awkward than awesome and didn’t reach it’s desired levels… it was phased out towards the end of the show, but older 3D animation was repeated in later episodes.

135.jpg

With the knowledge that they had the best in the biz animating the show, they went to town on the character models, creating detailed designs and complicated shading for each of the characters. The idea was to create a more contemporary look, rather than follow the design styles of a particular comic book artist. The Spider-Man books has undergone a massive resurgence with the trio of Todd McFarcline, Erik Larson and Mark Bagley modernising Spider-Man as a super buff contortionist, creating poses not humanly possible, which looked utterly fantastic on the page. It was obvious that such a look would not work on a television budget animation, so their designs were largely ignored. The idea to ignore the classic design theories of John Romita Sr was also made and a look exclusive to the show was crafted. The designs, in the first season were more hit than miss and the animation was usually sensational - while the style wasn't as nice to look at as Batman, the animation quality was superior (with the exception of the TMS animated episodes of Batman, naturally). Those were a sight to behold, and still show up anything animated these days, over 20 years later.

The curiosity in the case of the designs was the Peter Parker model. Despite being 19 years old at the time the show began, it was still odd seeing Parker as bigger than bully Flash Thompson and he bears a striking resemblance to Nicholas Hammond, the actor who portrayed Parker in the 1970s live action show nobody likes. Semper revealed on Twitter that this wasn't intentional, but looking at them, it's too much of a coincidence for me. The fact the model is also out of place in the 1990s makes it stand out so much more... What were they trying to make him look like? He doesn't look like any 19 year old in 1994 did and he's not based on any comic book rendition of the character. They really should've looked at how John Romita Sr drew Parker and aped that... It's also a little laughable that Parker has a short sleeved Rugby shirt which clearly wouldn't conceal his costume under it, despite the viewer seeing his 'uniform' under his street clothes on several occasions. Idiotic design decisions such as this would often plague the show, but Parker was the most extreme case, especially as he was designed in season one, when the designs were well done, in most cases.

The Spider-Man model fares better. Again, it is not based on any one artist but it moved well in this first season... the opening episode, Night of The Lizard, might just be the best looking 2D Spidey model ever in animation. Sleek, beautifully coloured and wonderfully animated, it looked gorgeous. The red and blue suit would never again reach the heights of the pilot, it must be said. They rarely used any short cuts even with Spidey’s complicated web patterns, nor did the look to reduce the amount of webs, as would become apparent in later seasons. Visually, the show was shooting high and reaching it’s target.

However, trouble brewed behind the scenes during pre-production to the point the decision was made to dismiss Isenberg of his duties as story editor.

John Semper, a writer who had worked with Stan 'The Man' Lee in the 80s recalls receiving a phone call from Lee, explaining that they were about to fire Isenberg and Lee wanted Semper as his replacement. Semper, a Spidey fan in his youth, jumped at the chance, only to be later told that the position was to stay with Isenberg and thanked for his time.

Months later, Semper received an even more frantic call from The Man, offering him the job. Apparently the studios faith in Isenberg was misplaced and Stan insisted Semper be brought in to replace him. Upon arrival at the studios offices, Semper realised that very little salvageable work had been done and he had a massive deadline looming to get the scripts out so production could begin on the actual episodes. Rather than try to save what work had been done, Semper threw most of it out and started the show from scratch, with the exception of a few traces he could not remove.

27.jpg

Semper believes the 22 minute format is too restricting to hook the viewer into a story and preferred longer arcs to further develop characters and stories. This caused him to clash with executive producer Avi Arad, who wanted a villain of the week show, so more characters could be create so action figures could be produced of a newly featured villain each week. Semper thought the stories Stan Lee told in the 60s which he enjoyed as a child used this long running story formula and thought his show should emulate it, while Arad saw the show as a toy advert and something to help boost the popularity of the upcoming Cameron movie. Arad was of course, the chief of Toy Biz at the time, meaning he would stand to make a lot of money over the Spider-Man toylines from both the cartoon and the movie.

Assembling his crew of writers, Semper was forbidden from utilising a season long arc in the first season. The directive was to introduce a new villain in each episode which Semper adhered to originally. Semper has since stated that he was creatively restricted, especially in this first season, but the strings were loosened following it’s success.

Sadly for Semper and the viewers, the Fox network which aired the showed had received a negative backlash for the violent content of their excellent Batman and stupid Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers shows and Fox insisted the cartoon show no violence whatsoever and nothing which could cause distress to the viewer should be spoken. Which essentially meant a action show wouldn't be allowed to punch, kick to the face or mention death, kill, die etc... Difficult circumstances in which to write a superhero action show. With Cameron's intention to tell Spider-Man's origin and utilise the villains Electro and The Sandman, Semper was told not to use either villain and that the show was to start after Parker took his famed trip to a demonstration in radiology. Semper didn't see this as a burden as he thought the origin was too predictable a place to start and thought the show should be about the complications that being Spider-Man caused Peter Parker and not dwindle on villains he couldn't use.

Despite the limitations placed on actual action, the show did not become a comedy and the cast were assembled with the aim of playing it straight. Clearly taking their cues from Batman, a strong cast of actors was assembled, many of whom also appeared on Batman. Christopher Daniel Barnes was cast as the lead and I personally thought he was an awesome Spider-Man. I've never had any complaints regarding Barnes - it would be years before anyone who wasn't utterly terrible as Spidey would appear, he was in a league of his own for many years when it came to voicing Spidey. This was the voice of Spider-Man in my childhood and I would welcome his return with open arms now. I remember recognising a lot of the cast from Visionaries, a show I remember enjoying as a child. Neil Ross, Roscoe Brown and Jim Cummings, among others, would make several appearances in the show.

While Semper, Arad and Fox argued over the course of the show in LA, young 8 year old Stu in Yorkshire was entirely unaware that a new Spider-Man cartoon was in development. I liked the character and have previously mentioned my fondness of what I had seen of the 60s show. I'm not old enough to remember either 80s show but did greatly enjoy the Spider-Man game released for the Sega Mega Drive and had a handful of Spider-Man toys from the Marvel Superheroes toy line. While there weren't a great deal of Spidey figures released, I had toys of Spidey, Doc Ock, The Green Goblin and a really bad ass Venom. I was a fan of the character, but didn't have a great deal of knowledge about him - this show introduced me to so much of what I would grow to love about Spider-Man.

I remember in the weeks prior to the debut of the new season of Live and Kicking that brief clips showing a new Spider-Man cartoon would air. The previous year I had treated to the debut of X-Men and I hadn't missed an episode since. There was no messing around with this show, I loved Night of The Lizard, the opening episode, from the moment I saw it. With the exception of an unannounced return for the 5th season (Part 1 of a 4 part story, of all things!) I wouldn't miss an episode of Spider-Man in its entire 65 episode run. I fell into it hook, line and sinker - I watched it every week, I bought pretty much ever Spider-Man toy I could find (Alien Spider Slayer, Morbius and the Nick Fury figures still elude me to this day!), I read the companion comic, (usually just comic adaptations of the episodes) and managed to convince my friends and cousin to get into it too. My brother and I watched every episode together every week without fail. As far as my childhood went, this was THE show for me.

09.jpg

Looking back? I still love the show. It hasn't held up well in many areas at all, and is embarrassing in some areas, but I still think it's one of the best superhero cartoons ever.
The show managed to avoid the familiar villain of the week by throwing a few ongoing stories in there even in the early episodes and focused quite heavily on the characters romantic exploits, which wouldn't really be seen much in any superhero cartoon until The Spectacular Spider-Man would debut 14 years later. Avoiding the use of Gwen Stacey due to her stigma of being Spider-Man's dead girlfriend, Semper substituted her with Felicia Hardy, known to comic fans as The Black Cat. She would actually debut before Mary Jane in a bold twist, and was the object of Peter's desire while he wisely avoided the prospect of a blind date with Aunt May's friend nice. This allowed his duties as Spider-Man to screw up not one but two of Parker's love interests!
The series had a rather ingenious idea of introducing Eddie Brock as a rival before of Peter Parker before he became Venom. As someone who worshipped J Jonah Jameson and hated Spider-Man as much as much as Jonah did and clearly had a dislike for Parker and his ability to obtain photos of Spider-Man, it gave Brock a much needed backstory before he became Venom. It built one's anticipation of when Brock would eventually become Venom. It also added more to Spidey's feud with Venom as Parker and Brock were clearly not fond of each other before either of them wore the symbiote, which fixes some of the curious character traits of Eddie Brock in the early Venom books.

A similar situation was also creating with Norman Osborn. Alert fans will have noticed that The Green Goblin was absent from the rouges gallery in the opening credits. There were two contributions during Isenberg's reign as story editor that managed to make it into the show, the first one being that Peter attended Empire State University rather than Midtown High and the other than The Hobgoblin was set to feature before The Green Goblin, which goes against decades of comics' lore. With the show intended as a toy advert by Arad, as soon as he realised Isenberg intended to include Hobgoblin, Arad gave the green light for his action figure, forcing Semper to use him in the show.

"My fired predecessor’s only lasting contribution to the series was his decision to use the Hobgoblin instead of the Green Goblin. So, based on that early decision, Avi had ramped up an expensive toy line revolving around the Hobgoblin. By the time I arrived on the series, I was stuck with having to roll that character out first, (because of the impending toy line) which is just plain wrong. I kind of patched it up in the series by making Norman Osborne create the weapons for the Hobgoblin first before deciding to use them for himself as the Green Goblin, which I thought was a good fix. But that first Hobgoblin two-parter is just a waste of time designed just to sell toys. I hated it when we had to write it, I hated it when it aired and I still hate it. The Hobgoblin is boring"

28.jpg

Despite Semper's own irritation, I thought this worked beautifully. It allowed Norman to develop further and the feud between Spider-Man and Osborn develop before he became The Goblin. Osborn would make his debut in The Spider Slayer, which also introduced another massive contribution to the show in The Kingpin of Crime. The inclusion of The Kingpin was sheer genius in my opinion, he immediately added gravitas to any situation and was an excellently written character, constantly behind the scenes, trying to run the crime rackets of New York. It was interesting to me that Spidey wasn't even aware he existed until the middle of season three. He was aware of his associates Alistair Smythe and fought numerous of his hired goons, including long time comic book villains The Rhino and The Shocker but Spidey was entirely unaware that Fisk was The Kingpin. He blackmailed Osborn in the Spider Slayer into killing Spider-Man, who in turn hired Spencer Smythe who was seemingly killed off when Oscorp blew up between the fight between Spider-Man and The Black Widow (the robot, not the redhead) and then more or less manipulated his son Alistair Smythe into working for him and creating new Spider Slayer robots. Spidey actually had to save Norman Osborn, Eddie Brock, Flash Thompson and J Jonah Jameson from Smythe Jr's robots - imagine, having to save two people who hated him the most and his high school bully. It again leads to a long running storyline of when The Green Goblin would actually show up. Semper saw Kingpin as Spidey’s Professor Moriarty, a villain constantly behind the scenes making life as difficult as possible for our hero.

Not to say that the only episodes of worth were the ones which set up bigger storylines down the road. The opening episode, Night of The Lizard, is widely regarded as the show's best, and strong single episodes explaining the origins of Dr Octopus, The Scorpion and Mysterio were all highly regarded. Much of Dr Octopus: Armed and Dangerous would make its way into the outstanding Spider-Man 2 a decade later. The show took the time to properly develop its villains and the episodes were stronger for it. The stories were mainly based on the old Stan Lee/Steve Ditko run, with a little more depth added to the character. The Sting of The Scorpion makes more sense of J Jonah Jameson's hated of Spider-Man than the actual comic books do. We learn that Jameson, as a young reporter, was warned to cease writing stories about the mob and when he refuted, the mob sent a masked man to execute him, but the hit man missed and killed Julia, his wife. Using his influence as the chief of J3 communications, he saw Spider-Man as a masked menace who never took responsibility for his actions and swore to keep the city safe from cowards who hide behind masks. This works so much better than his rather silly comic book reason, in which he states he was jealous of Spider-Man and used his jealously to try and bring him down. Jameson is brilliant throughout the show, he gets several of the best lines which are delivered with such delicious drive by Ed Asner. The show has an outstanding Jameson who usually meant well, but his temper often got his own way. Jameson's chemistry with both Parker and Spider-Man in this show is sorely missed. Throughly entertaining in his role as an antagonist, this version of Jonah is up there with the very best of them, a tick in every box.

The most popular storyline of the season would be The Alien Costume, which is still the very best version of the symbiote storyline over 2 decades on. The show HAD to do Venom as he was by far the most popular Spider-Man villain at the time and his presence would've been sorely missed were he to be absent. The problem with the Venom storyline was that no one behind the scenes could agree on how it should be done. Eventually realising that the black suit needed to bond to Spidey before it split and joined Brock, the nut was cracked when the story became a three parter, rather than the planned two. Series writer Stan Berkowitz offered his opinion on the Venom saga;

“Everybody -- producers, network, writers, artists had a different conception of the Venom story; it took a half-day-long meeting with everyone -- Avi, Stan, the network rep, the supervising producer (Bob Richardson), John and me, before a storyline could be settled upon -- and that was just for the first half hour of the three-parter.

In fairness, I should note that it's been my experience that writing a three parter isn't three times as hard as writing a one-parter; it's NINE times as hard. And one other thing: it's easier to get things done when you're working for one person with bad taste than four with good taste -- although the end product probably won't be as good.”

The suit originally was originally brought back from Battleworld during the original Secret Wars storyline... Realising that Spider-Man had no place on an alien planet this early into the show (despite his misgivings in the opening episode), Avi Arad eventually proposed that the space shuttle crash down on the Hudson bridge in part one in which the suit would attach itself to Spidey before he rejected in the final act of the second episode and then face off with Venom in the third part.

The storyline is probably the best the show did, by showing the actual symbiote as a massive threat by augmenting Parker's powers by increasing his aggression. The suit didn't effect Parker's emotions in the book, it did however take Parker out as Spider-Man while he slept and Parker had a rather trippy dream sequence showing that his spider powers wouldn't give up on him. The show's most memorable visual came when Parker woke up in his new suit.

13.jpg

"What a nightmare! For a second I thought I was... Going out of my mind? Parker! How on Earth did you get in the middle of Manhatten, hanging upside down in a costume you've never seen before?!"

He later tries to impress Felicia by hitting on her and standing up to Flash Thompson for the first time in his life, to Flash's surprise and Hardy's dismay. The suit gave Parker increased confidence, as well as strength.

These episodes are the best the show ever looked. Unquestionably the show's greatest model, the black suit looked absolutely stunning on the screen and the story boarding and staging where the greatest the show ever produced. Spidey easily outmatched and schoolboyed the much larger Rhino before nearly crushing him with a metal door.

Rhino: Alright, I give up. I'd rather go to jail than be a snitch.
Spider-Man: Who said anything about jail?
Rhino: Huh? I don't get it?
Spider-Man: You will. It's like this: I'm through with not getting what I want!
Rhino: What are you doing? I told ya... I give up!
Spider-Man: That's funny. I give up too. I give up trying to be a friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!
Rhino: No, no. You can't...!

Spidey quickly snaps out of it when he realises that he was about to kill Rhino over essentially nothing and we get a very cool nod to Venom as Spidey sees his reflection in place of his own, with the first part ending on an eery note

"I almost did something back there, that I would've regretted for the rest of my life and I have no idea why!

29.jpg

What was that?! What's happening to me...?"

Part two opens with Spidey in a foul mood, as Jameson has placed a bounty on his head, following Brock's testimony that Spidey stole the Promethean X, obligating The Rhino's presence in trade for his old job back. The attack from the strike crew served multiple purposes, to show that the city was after Spidey to capture Jameson's reward, to piss off Spidey because he's being hunted for something he didn't do and to showcase that the symbiote has a weakness towards sonics, which Reed Richards discovered in a scene too random for my liking back in the comics.

Upon nearly smashing up Jameson's office (and Brock), Spidey makes his first of many, many trips to Doc Conners lab for help in which he seeks knowledge about the suit and learns that it is attempting to bond and ultimately replace him and horrifyingly learns that it's a sentient creature.

This episode also marks the debut of The Shocker, who, like Rhino, is one of The Kingpin's employees throughout the show. I neglect to use the word goon, as it carries the stigma of say, Blizzard, Whirlwind and Dreadknight etc, from the Iron Man cartoon and they do not compare. This was a bad ass version of The Shocker, far superior than the joke from the comics. The animation showed off a decent design (his often mocked costume, which even designer John Romita Sr has expressed his regret over, looks very nice here) and he has utterly perfect casting in veteran Jim Cummings. Barnes also offers one of his best Spidey performances in the episode, as he goes absolutely nuts chasing Shocker through the Cathedral and again nearly kills him before he comes to his senses, this time with his Uncle Ben's messages about great power coming with great responsibility ringing in his ears, before the symbiote attempts to throw Shocker from the top of the ledge itself forcing Spidey to use the bell to separate himself from the alien. He then leaves, only for the symbiote to attach itself to Brock, who Spidey had left hung out to dry on a lower level. Most of the story was original rather than taken from the comics and it works so much better. These two episodes juggled multiple storylines and ensured they either had the payoff or set up some thing bigger down the line.

The quality did dip in the final third thanks to some inferior animation and a rather tame looking Venom design, which was disappointing, as the back suit looked sensational on Spidey and the opening credits showed off a much better looking Venom. While it was unrealistic to expect it to look as amazing as the aforementioned trip of McFarcline, Larsen and Bagley, one can't deny the Venom model was lacklustre and the colouring and animation was much, much weaker than we were used to seeing from the show. Venom was written as a threat and I especially liked the stalker angle they used, as none of Spidey's villains knew his identity before this episode and he made a point to go after both Aunt May and Mary Jane. I thought the show did a far better job with Brock than the comics did at the time by removing the Lethal Protector nonsense that plagued the book. Venom worked best as a twisted killer/stalker, not a would be superhero. Using Brock in prior episodes before he became Venom was a master stroke. I especially liked how Spidey outsmarted Brock and used to roar of the space rocket to banish the alien back to outer space. I am no scientist, but I'm fairly certain both Spidey and Brock would've been cooked alive standing as close to a firing rocket as they were, and Spidey's webbing would've melted before it had a chance to attach itself and the symbiote to the rocket, but I am willing to let a scientific inaccuracy slide.

Still, at the time, I sincerely doubt any Venom fan would've been disappointed with his animation debut. The story was rightly revered at the time.

The show showed no signs of slowing down with he aforementioned Hobgoblin storyline, which again brings both The Kingpin and Osborn into play as Osborn hires and creates The Hobgoblin to kill Kingpin, before ultimately being saved by a sharp eyed Peter Parker.
I am struggling to write just how fantastic a villain I thought Hobgoblin was. While the design isn't as cool as it looked in the comics (I don't see why they coloured his torso yellow and changed the cape inlay to purple, it would've looked far cooler if it was all orange) but he was written as a scheming, devious fiend who didn't mind throwing anyone under the bus to get his own way. He happily betrays Osborn to work for Fisk, and then uses Osborn for better weapons to take Fisk out too. Shortly after using both parties against each other, he declares
gets the spot he always wanted

"This town has a new Kingpin, and it's me!"

For a character Semper could not abide, he is by far the most interesting super villain in the show. He is also wonderfully portrayed by Mark Hamill, in what I would rank as his second best role, following his unforgettable performances as The Joker. The animation quality also returned to the status quo, after dropping in the final act of the Venom episode.
After the seasons weakest, but still enjoyable episode in Kraven The Hunter, the season finale offered an interesting look at The Chamleon and introduced S.H.I.E.LD and Nick Fury, the show's first guest star. Using Jameson and The Bugle, there are several shining moments here, one of which being a bad ass moment when Chameleon, disguised as Parker, grabs Mary Jane and kisses her, to avoid detection from Fury's agents.

Mary Jane: Peter... Why'd you so that?
Parker: I had to.
Mary Jane: What made you think I'd let you?
Parker: I took a gamble that Peter Parker might be the luckiest person on the face of the Earth...

I thought Chameleon had an interesting gimmick in that he never actually spoke throughout the show's run. Everytime the character spoke, he transformed into someone else. I just thought that was a bad ass idea, a man without his own identity would couldn't speak.
The show was a phenomenal success at the time, a number 1 rated hit which brought in extraordinarily revenue, enough to convince Avi Arad that his future lie in Saturday morning animation. The show was firing on all cylinders, despite the show's initial plagued production, the crew turned out an excellent looking, brilliantly written show, which captured young audiences and Spidey fans alike.

Next: Mutants, monsters and scary censors!

Last edited:

tb4000

I watch Amazing Friends on Toon Disney all the time, and I still wonder how Firestar and her ass tight costume make it without being edited.

It's like she's wearin' nothin' at all...nothin' at all...nothin' at all! =P

Arsenal

Magneto was right
Ironically enough, the snob proved to be more likeable than the red head and they’re relationship was much more interesting. I’m not entirely sure if it was because Peter seemed more interested in Felicia, who was playing hard to get or because Mary Jane seemed to like Peter more than Felicia did, but he ended up with the least interesting of the two.

I cosign this statement and all sentiments therein.

I liked the translation of Brock from the comics. I like how he only appeared in two storylines; and each time he appeared, he grew as a character.

Stu

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
As the show's episode order was 65, production did not cease between seasons, the crew simply kept on producing new episodes ready for air.With the creative shackles from Fox now loosened due to the show's success, Semper decided not the show would now become serialised rather than the traditional villain of the week affair. Later interviews suggested Semper had more of a say in the show's writing, but Arad was still a massive presence on the show, and his demand of a toy advert was still a crucial part of the show.

Semper envisioned a daring 14 part storyline which was entirely unpredictable as it wasn't based a particular comic book storyline. The opening two episodes would take their cues from Amazing Spider-Man Annual #1, 'The Sinister Six!' which sees Dr Octopus, Kraven The Hunter, Mysterio, The Vulture, Electro and The Sandman unite to kill Spider-Man as Parker begins losing his powers with a bit of Amazing Spider-Man #14 'Unmasked by Dr Octopus!' thrown in there. The comic blamed Peter's faulting powers on an emotional response to him grieving over his deceased Uncle whereas the show had a much different approach.

29.jpg

The Kingpin unites the Insidious Six when he begins to lose the respect of his fellow crime lords over his inability to kill Spider-Man. The episode sees the debut of Silvermaine and Hammerhead, and also provides a brief cameo from The Owl, who was never seen or heard from again. The roster was obviously changed from the Sinister Six from the comics as Kraven was cured of his abilities at this point, Electro and Sandman were forbidden from appearing in the show and The Vulture had yet to debut. Doc Ock and Mysterio remained, with the returning Scorpion, Rhino, Shocker and Chameleon filling the ranks. I think it's a stellar roster of villains but find the name change to Insidious from Sinister silly. The reason? The Sinister Six sounded too evil to Fox, who insisted the name be changed. Bear in mind, at this time, FOX also aired X-Men, which featured a character called Mr Sinister prominently. Baffling.

The story was well written in that none of the 6 felt incompetent due to the fact they were duped by a powerless Spider-Man, and the unmasking was actually a fairly dramatic occasion, as one did wonder how Parker was going to get out of this one. It's also worth noting the six escapes and disbanded, rather than Spidey taking them in. The best part of both episodes is the endings, as the first part has a excellent cliffhanger as Spidey is certain of his end when attempting to save his kidnapped Aunt, and the second sets up the rest of the season beautifully.

Spidey: Come on Doc, my powers came back and I feel great! How bad can the test results be?
Conners: This bad... the mutagenic factor in your blood has taken another transformation.
Spidey: Did you say mutagenic, as in mutant?

Conners: I'm afraid so. While I can't tell you exactly what your DNA is turning you into, one things already clear... It won't be human...

This set the scene for the Neogenic nightmare. A brief Sandman substitute in Hydro-Man followed in which we delve further into Parker's relationship with MJ and her waste of space ex who managed to obtain the ability to change herself into water which is probably best remembered for some beautiful animation with Bench's water effects before we come to one of the seasons highlights. Seeking a cure for his own mutation, Spidey travels to Westchester for help from the worlds foremost expert on mutagenics, Professor Charles Xavier. I remember watching the preview clip on the BBC the morning the show aired to see what time it would be on and saw Spidey fighting Sentinels and wondered what the hell was going on. The image of Spidey sneaking around on the roof of a very familiar looking mansion when the episode actually aired soon lead to what was probably my first fanboy moment in a cartoon

Wolverine: Well, what do you know? Put out a fly trap and catch a spider.

02.jpg

The sheer joy of seeing two of my favourite shows crossover was something I'll never forget. Credit to the studio for springing for the cost of flying the Canadian X-Men voice cast over to the states where Spidey was recorded. If the show were to recast with American actors the feeling wills have been lost. The crew clearly made an effort to show it was indeed the X-Men from their own show, which wasn't done for either Iron Man or Fantastic Four when they later appeared. It was an ungodly cool moment when The X-Men emerged from the shadows with the awesome X-Men theme blaring in the background. Some of the designs didn't look their best using Spider-Man's models, with both Gambit and Cyclops featuring incorrect colouring and Spidey seemed to forever having trouble with using black in their show from this episode on. Still, it was undeniably cool to see the two crossover and the return of The Hobgoblin was just the icing on the cake. The episode also has a bad ass ending with Spidey and Wolverine squaring off against one another with Hobgoblin gleefully adding colour commentary in the background.

The team up between Spidey and Wolverine was on the highlights of the season and the rest of the X-Men arrived in the third act to defeat Dr Landan and remind Spidey that no man, Spider-Man or mutant is an island, isolation will not cure his illness, inspiring him to seek the help of Dr Mariah Crawford, Kraven's girlfriend. It was a spectacular crossover, no question. I was a very happy boy once it finished back in the day.

61.jpg

The following episode is where it all started hitting the skids. The build up to Michael Morbius was excellently handled. Introduced in The Insidious Six, Morbius was immediately shown to be an arrogant antagonist towards Parker and his goal of creating an original experiment with Neogenics in order to become Dr Conners research assistant. He also came between Parker and Felicia, as he actually made the effort to turn up for his dates with her. The opening to the story is indeed done very well done. Parker is burdened with the choice of taking Dr Crawford's cure, which she admits isn't ready and through testing was needed before Spidey should consider taking it. He begins his own experiments on the sample at ESU and Morbius steals the same, realising that such a brilliant Neogenic sample will win Parker the research assistant job he pines for. He then subjects the sample to the Neogenic recombinator and a vampire bat gets in the rays way, which then bites Michael, turning him into a human vampire. I thought it was a genius idea having Morbius' origin parrarel Parker's and Parker ultimately blame himself for his condition. It was as soon as Morbius became a vampire that BS+P reared its ugly head and decided they couldn't bite anyone, nor did he crave blood, he sought plasma. It was silly watching a vampire that didn't need blood. It could be argued that if he wasn't allowed to be a vampire that the character should have been scrapped at the concept stage, much as the Batman: The Animated Series did when they planned to use nosfuratu in their show.
Sadly, this was also the episode in which the show's production troubles began to rear their ugly head. Whether or not TMS stopped animating the show and outsourced more of the episodes to lesser studios or if they simply weren't edited together correctly will probably remain a mystery but the show took a massive nosedive visually. The colouring looked incredibly weak and faded, the animation lost its shine an and the use of repeated animation became laughable. It wasn't in a similar vain of 67 Spider-Man where they just repeated the web slinging, any opportunity to use older, better looking animation in lieu of new animation was used. The problem was that the models and colouring changed so frequently that it really took the viewer out of the story, as you ended up guessing which episode the animation originally aired in. The show was especially ugly at night, as Spidey's suit looked naff. There isn't a model in the show that didn't look much, much better in the daylight. The fight choreography became embarrassing as it became all too clear that there was no real fighting taking place, just tussles. The Peter Parker model was also revamped into a much more practical design (sleeves) but the face rarely seemed to animate well. It made more sense, but didn't look as nice. And he still looked like Nicholas Hammond.

25.jpg

The highlight of Morbius was its awesome cliffhanger as Parker elects to take Dr Crawford's untested serum and 4 extra arms burst out of his sides. The Punisher guest stars in the next episode and I thought they did a relatively decent job with him, despite the obvious limitations that came with the show. Among the no punches rule, realistic guns were also forbidden, meaning Punisher wasn't allowed to use his traditional firearms and he had more gimmicky guns. The show's colouring issues also came into play, as his traditional black costume was turned teal, and his black trenchcoat was cream. I remember as a kid thinking the action figure looked a lot cooler (FYI, The Punisher figure was one of the coolest the line ever produced.) Tremendous casting it must be said... There were far worse adaptations in the show, it must be said.

One of the show's best lines came from Spider-Man's introduction to Castle.

Spider-Man: Let me guess? The costume, the attitude... well, your name must be bonehead.

Barnes offered such a dry delivery of the line. Drake Bell could learn a lot about how to make Spidey funny from watching this show.

I remember being puzzled as a child as to why Spidey's side pain consisted when his extra arms had already appeared. The episode offered another great cliffhanger as Spider-Man fled from Punisher into a warehouse and mutated further into Man Spider. The concluding part was refreshingly different as it wasn't told from Spider-Man's point as the rest of the episodes were and Spidey was technically cast as the villain of the episode as Dr Crawford called upon Kraven The Hunter to help her capture Spidey and administer the cure for her. I actually liked Kraven in the hero role... I always found him to be a bit of an average villain. The season faltered from here, as the Neogenic nightmare storyline peaked and the Morbius storyline dragged on and the animation dropped to poor levels. With Morbius as the featured villain, the majority of the episodes took place at night to further add to the show's woes. It seemed to exist in order to use Blade, a character from the 70s John Semper enjoyed reading about in Tomb of Dracula in his youth. Blade is a bit off key for Spider-Man's world, but I think him being a half man, half vampire was a decent gimmick. His appearance here sparked the idea of a live action Blade movie, which would be released in 1998 and very much started Marvel's dominance of the big screen, spawning a trilogy, the first two of which were very good indeed, before David Gower was given the directors chair. Blade: Trinity is proof positive not to let him anywhere a comic book movie unless he has a decent director working with him, and no, Zack Snyder does not amongst their numbers. Probably worth mentioning that the Wesley Snipes Blade is far cooler than his cartoon counterpart.

02.jpg

The Neogenic nightmare really dragged on with a pretty tedious Tablet of Time storyline in which most of the crime lords were seeking to acquire an ancient artefact which granted one the gift of eternal youth. Kingpin saw it as profitable venture, while Silvermaine wished for his youth back. The episode managed to throw in Curt Conners becoming The Lizard again, Hammerhead defecting from Silvermaine to Fisk, the introduction of Fisk's wife, Vanessa and new supervillain/gangsta Tombstone. The episode also serves as a harsh reminder of how far the quality of the animation had dropped, as the frequent repeated Lizard animation from Night of The Lizard looked a dozen times better than any of the new animation. The show often shot itself in the foot in this regard, as it was clear the production was rushed to embarrassing levels and the episodes were chopped together rather than slicks edited. In a baffling writing error, The Lizard is also used as a jobber to a now youthful Silvermaine. What a waste of a once mighty villain.

The episode ends on a rather cool cliffhanger, with Fisk acquiring the tablet at the cost of his wife and ordering Hanmerhead to dispose of it, who in turn sells it to an elderly man in shadows, who of course, turns out to be Adrian Toomes, who was named dropped in the opening episode of the season.

The story comes to a close in these final two episodes as part one sees ESU win the Toones grant, Debra wins the job of Dr Conners lab assistant that Parker and Michael Morbius fought over earlier in the season and Toomes uses his tablet of time to create gauntlets which literally suck the youth out of people in order to reclaim his youth again. The episode again has a decent cliffhanger as Vulture sucks Spidey's youth and a new elderly Spidey must fend for himself. Toomes inadvertently drains Spidey's mutation disease and frequently changes back between Vulture and the Man-Spider until he seeks Dr Conners help. The finale turns into a battle royal with Scorpion, Vulture and The Lizard facing off against a now youthful Spider-Man after Dr Conners transfers Parker's youth and powers back to him, but keeps the mutation disease with The Vulture. It stretched the show's scientific credibility to its boundaries, but it did finally bring us the end of the Neogenic Nightmare! But not quite! There's still the little matter of Parker's love life to explain. He has been dumped by Felicia for Morbius and forced to tell MJ he liked Felicia more than her with Morbius looming ready to feed. Parker had later promised to be there when she met her estranged Father and arrived seconds late to found MJ was nowhere to be found. A 14 episode storyline that still manages to end on a cliffhanger? That was one hell of a wait to find out where she was for a 9 year old...

Next: Turning Points

Last edited:

Sketch

not like those other old guys
It was in Spider-Man: TAS at the very end but it was originally in the Japanese Spider-Man live action series.

And I'm glad the color scheme has been brought up because dang it sucked post season 1. Spider-Man's costume usually looked awful. It was so nice when he'd fight on sunny day so it could actually be red and blue like it is suppose to be. They could have done a better job with the night coloring without a doubt.

ifthismeansevos

It's been a while.
you need to continue it's interesant. by the way you were talking about the Blade movies no? Yeah I don't understand why the Marvel producers were unable to wait for Guillermo, I'm very proud of his work, Blade II and Hellboy are awesome.

Wonderwall

Staff member
On the audio commentary of Superman Vol. 1, BT and Alan Burnett both say how for some reason animators are afraid of using black and will use dark like blue, brown, and purple but not black. This show is a prime example of what they were talking about. I never understood why They didn't want to use black? Maybe the censors told them that itd be too violent or some nonsense like that, I wouldn't be suprised based on what Spider Man couldn't do on the actual show. What also didn't make sense was that he could swing and jump kick people all the time, which would be more painful than a punch, yet the only thing he ever punched was Scorpion's tail.

ShockDingo

Freelance voice actor & fulltime symbiote geek.
I can olny imagine how many times more awesome this show would have been if it weren't for the censors....sigh....

Stu

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
The wait between seasons two and three was a long one. Here in the UK, watching on the BBC while the studios dark past was still kept under wraps, seasons one and two aired back to back on Live and Kicking, which meant that that we had most of spring and summer to wait to find out what happened to Mary Jane. The summer brought season one of Marvel Action Hour, which, despite my delight of being able to see the 1980s Incredible Hulk cartoon again, did not compare to the 90s Spider-Man cartoon... even at a young age, I knew a quality superhero cartoon when I saw it, and the Iron Man and Fantastic Four cartoons weren't quality.

The season opened with Spidey cured of his mutation disease, but guilt ridden over his failure to be there for MJ when she was taken and Anna Watson the ever grating Aunt of Mary Jane was on his back. Anna was one of the few two dimensional characters in that she hated Peter and took digs at him at every available opportunity, to a ridiculous degree. I think the idea of Peter having in laws that don't like him is a good opportunity for typical Parker luck storytelling, but Anna never had another side to her character and quickly grated. Peter is wanted for treason and is running as a fugitive from the law? No reason he can't be with his Aunt at the hospital according to Anna.

I remember discussing with my brother who could've took Mary Jane over the summer until we finally sat down and watched Dr Strange, the season three premier. It was a discussion neither of us could have correctly predicted, as neither of us had a scooby doo as to who Baron Mordo was. I would later read The Amazing Spider-Man Annual #2 from which this story is based but before then I had no idea who Dr Strange was either. I was introduced to many a Marvel character from this show.

28.jpg

The episode is a bit out there for Spider-Man, but in previous interviews I've had with Semper, he confesses that he had a fondness for Stephen Strange in his youth, and enjoyed the superhero team ups he read as a child, when a superhero team up was a big deal, not something that happened every other four issues.

Mordo and Dormammu, Strange's twos biggest foes, act as the villains of the episode, as they run a cult which brainwash people who have lost their loved ones and MJ longs to be reunited with her absentee Father. The most interesting part of the episode is probably when Parker infiltrates the cult and is brainwashed into thinking his parents are still alive. This was the first time the show mentioned his parents, by the time this show started, Parker had lost his Uncle Ben and lived with his Aunt, his parents weren't featured in any of the show's back story.

The quality of the animation dipped up and down in this season. It still repeated animation to an unacceptable degree, but the new animation ranged from terrific to terrible. The show still looked poorer when the show took place at night, Spider-Man was much more aesthetically pleasing during the day time. There is no doubt that the animation quality never quite reached the levels from season one. The show still looked hastily chopped together, rather than slickly edited. The season also frequently relied on flashbacks, which I presume where to save on the cost of new animation, but the rest of the episodes tended to play at a lightening quick pace. Semper has remarked that they frequently overran with the scripts, and it seems the show was edited to include more repeated than newer animation. It also means that everything is crammed in the episode without giving it the required room to breathe. There is very rarely any quiet scenes from the second season onwards, Barnes' Spidey is seldom silent. I understand why this is - if the writers has relied solely on the visual onscreen to show what was going on, they had no control over what seen and the editor could've shown any older animation to save a few dollars, despite how nonsensical it may be. Hence Spidey has to explain what's happening in most of the scenes. Quite how the editors were not relieved of their duties after season two I do not know. I haven't seen a show as poorly put together as Spider-Man since. Even the 60's show, which relied on mostly stock footage, was put together better than the 1990s show. There can be clever uses of stock footage (the incredible transformation scenes in the aforementioned Hulk show, for example) but this show just seemed to mess up it's visual cues constantly.

Supervising Producer Bob Richardson has stated he felt it better to use repeated animation of something that looked good rather than newer animation of something that looked terrible. I would argue that the level of editing was simply poor and emphasised the embarrassment, rather than hide them. Editing is an opportunity to correct mistakes, not highlight them for the audience to see

The season continued with an extended flashback to Spider-Man's origin, complete with a skinner, glasses wearing Parker, which looked so much more true to character than his main model, with his struggles to socially adapt before he attends his famed demonstration in radiology by Professor Farley Stillwell (remember him?). Even after Peter is bitten by the spider and begins to feel ill, he is ostracised by Stillwell and the other attendees. In a nice touch, rather than just having Spidey talk to himself or Bruce, the long suffering Gargoyle who often felt the brunt of Spidey's romantic dilemmas, Parker explains his origin to a young fan, who's parents wrote into The Daily Bugle, in a nice nod to The Kid Who Collected Spider-Man comic book from the 1980s (I forget the issue number.) The episode also serves as an introduction of one of the more grating aspects of the series, as Madame Web is introduced, who saw Spider-Man as a warrior, who needed to get past his own self doubt in order to become better than he ever thought he could be. Having our young hero have a mentor is not a terrible idea, who Madame Web was far too arrogant and too much of a know it all to be likeable. The other consequence was that she often made Spidey, a science and math prodigy, come across as something of a simpleton (an unflattering characterisation that makes Ultimate Spider-Man often unbearable to watch.)

21.jpg

The rest of the story sees Spidey gain amnesia in rather forgettable fashion and Dr Octopus, much like the Lizard is season two was a harsh reminder of how far the quality had fallen from the show when he was beaten by a child. Compare the fight and the gravitas from Dr Octopus: Armed and Dangerous to this and you will be left disappointed. In pro wrestling terms, Ock had from topliner to mid card jobber. It also served as a harsh reminder at how poor the fight scenes had become... it became truly apparent that the people behind the visuals no longer cared about the quality of the show, or they were simply far too rushed to produce quality.

The season picked up with the long awaited debut of The Green Goblin. Many have criticised the show for taking so long to introduce The Goblin, which I don't agree with. At the time of the show production, Venom was Spidey's chief adversary and the wait for his appearance only made it better. By developing Norman as a slimy character who cracked under the pressure before becoming The Goblin, the show had a wonderful build up to add to the flavour of the episode. I think it helped that the animation was excellent throughout the episode, the characters were looking sharp and the pace slowed down a bit and didn't rely on endless flashbacks. It actually felt like a season one episode in that it was also a standalone, single part episode, even if it had been building up since episode two. Harry, MJ, Jameson, Fisk and the Hardys all played their part in the episode and it felt like an event because of it. This was a three year build up that did not disappoint. It even ends on an intriguing note as there's a hint of MJ and Peter, before the episode ends with Felicia kissing Spider-Man. Quite how one of the show's best episodes is followed up by The Big Wheel and The Rocket Racer is anyone's guess. I mean, I can't imagine how the writers came into a story meeting and discussed using The Green Goblin and then moved onto The Big Wheel and The Rocket Racer. Not one, but two of Spidey's stupidest villains in the same episode? Add to it that that The Rocket Racer was a stereotypical angry black kid who meant well but often found himself on the wrong side of the roads and it made you ponder for the glory days of last weeks episode.

07.jpg

Moving past this nonsense, we came to another event episode with the Daredevil two part story Framed and The Man Without Fear. These episodes introduced me to Daredevil, who would later to go on to become one of my favourite superheroes. A normal team up became something of an event because Spider-Man finally became aware of The Kingpin's existence, which was a turning point in the show.

As a Spider-Man episode, it was amazing to see such a fantastic, long running story come to a landmark event. I remember the goosebumps going down my spine when Spidey first asks one of Fisks goons 'And just who is this Kingpin?!' The opening of the episode is especially strong, with the somber atmosphere of a thunderstorm adding to the intrigue of seeing Parker denied bail at a trial before he was kidnapped by Spider-Man. It was somewhat diluted by the obvious appearance of The Chameleon's belt, which I never thought added anything to the character. I have to admit, Barnes sounded like he was having a lot of fun playing an evil Spider-Man and I did like the irony of Spider-Man breaking Peter Parker from prison, which gave Daredevil justification to attack Spider-Man. Quite why Matt wouldn't be able to smell Spider-Man and Parker as the same person is something Daredevil fans are just going to have to overlook. There's a few subtle suggestions that Daredevil knew Parker and Spider-Man are one and the same if you look for them.

The show got a lot of Daredevil right. Decent casting, and he was fine as both Murdock and Daredevil but they tweaked his origin, specifically , Battlin' Jack Murdock. In the books, Jack was a fighter who refused to throw a fight and was killed by The Fixer. In this show, and then the movie, which stole a lot of its ideas from these episodes, Jack worked as a low level enforcer for the mob. Matt is supposed to be inspired by the good his Father did, not ashamed of what he became. The show has it revealed that it was The Kingpin who killed his Dad, which gave him more motivation to actually become Daredevil, whereas I didn't get the leap in the live action movie, which I enjoyed more than I should've done... It's easy to pick apart, looking back on it. Allow me to once again recommend the Netflix Daredevil show... If you've not seen it, get Netflix yesterday. It is simply sensational... the best superhero show going.

14.jpg

The show actually had me believing that Fisk was apprehended as Spidey and Daredevil chased him through downtown New York before DD explained that Kingpin and Chameleon had done a switcharoonie at Crime Central and it was actually The Chameleon they had caught. See what happens when the red herring that was Chameleon's belt is removed? The Spidey/Fisk did lose some of its magic when Spidey became aware of Kingpin's existence, but the show couldn't have kept it a secret forever. Sadly, Daredevil was not seen in the show again, brief cameo in the following episode aside (he wasn't even considered for Secret Wars, just like the actual book). The reveal of Fisk's criminal identity had ramifications in the following episode, as Fisk blamed Smythe for the screw up, which also left Fisk's son in jail. Surprisingly, Richard only returned the once, and it wasn't as The Rose, who was a pretty big Spidey villain in the 80s. I don't actually know if he's still alive in the books or not... I suppose it doesn't matter if he did die either way, does it? There's always a BS explanation to bring him back.

The Ultimate Slayer finally saw Smythe become the cyborg villain he was in the books and the toyline. He was actually featured in the first wave of figures, I remember having a Smythe toy long before he premiered on TV (no doubt he was made early so they could manufacture his really cool chair and sell that too... which I also bought.) It was a decent episode, in that it actually threw back to the original Spider Slayer episodes and Smythe, ignoring his programming, went after Norman Osborn, who he still held responsible for killing his Father. The Smyth model is nothing to write home about, but the story was well written, along with the revelation that Spencer Smythe was still alive, but Fisk had placed him in cryogenic suspension, deducing that Smythe Jr was more valuable to him, as a younger genius, and someone who Fisk thought would work for nothing but the promise of revenge.

The ending sees Smythe almost turn babyfaces and stop Fisk and rescue his Father. MJ gives Harry his engagement ring back and reveals to Spidey that she's actually in love eith someone else... I can only imagine how gutted it would be for Peter if she said someone other than Parker. The episode ends with Smythe and his still frozen Father, promising to reek a terrible revenge against those who have wrong them. Smythe's story should've ended there... every following appearance only seemed to dilute his appeal.

Tombstone would return as Spidey once again needs Madame Web to point him in the right direction to defeat his latest foe. As mentioned earlier, Web was far too grating in her role here and I felt the episodes would've improved without her intervention. Less was defiantly more when it came to Madame Web.

19.jpg

Things picked up as finally...! (Imagine me doing my impression of The Rock as you read this) Venom returned and Carnage debuted. Venom's return alone enough to make the episode an event, this was long before Venom was far too overexposed in animation and I can't tell you how much I was looking forward to the Spidey/Venom rematch and to finally see Carnage. I'd owned the Carnage toy for years at this point and had played the Sega Mega Drive Maximum Carnage and Spider-Man and The X-Men: Arcade's Revenge, in which Carnage also featured and by this point, I'd actually read Carnage's origins from the books, so I was fully aware of Cletus Kassidy's alter ego. The 3 part debut was one of the few Spider-Man graphic novels available at the time... Quite why the rest of David Michelline's as yet unmatched run on The Amazing Spider-Man hasn't been released in order yet defies belief. The book fell and fell hard when he left the book.

Looking back on it now, Venom Returns is a little too cluttered, with Venom, Dormammu and Baron Mordo returning, Tony Stark, War Machine, Dr Kafka and Carnage debuting. The story sees the rocket the symbiote was attached to returning to Earth and Dormammu ordering Mordo to retrieve it. He reunites the alien with Eddie, citing that only the rage and frustration of Brock could create Venom. What I did like about Eddie was that while he was incarcerated, no one believed he ever was Venom, his therapists branded Venom as a figment of Brock's imagination, as the response of Spider-Man's constant interference in his life, and the terrible consequences of the same. The loss of a potential massive story when he was unable to prove that Curt Conners was The Lizard, his firing at the end of the Spider slayer incident, his public humiliation and professional suicide when it was revealed that he lied about Spider-Man stealing the Promethean X from John Jameson's space shuttle and even Parker proving to be a more valuable asset to his hero, J Jonah Jameson. It was all good stuff. Mordo eventually approaches Brock at Ravencrot and offers him to reunite him with his symbiote, with his newly minted cell mate Cletus Kassidy telling Mordo to ignore Brock and give the symbiote to him, and he will happily serve Dormammu. Spider-Man had caught Kassidy earlier in the episode, in a nice touch.

Everything comes together when Venom is told to steal Stark's interdemensional probe and Spider-Man and War Machine fend him off. In a nice touch, Robert Hayes and Dorian Haywood reprised their roles as Stark and Rhodey from the Iron Man cartoon that was on air at the same time. I hadn't seen season two of Iron Man at this time and I thought both of their armpits looked better in this show than their own. Hayes is still my favourite Iron Man voice.

Realising that Venom may be outmatched by Spidey and War Machine, he oddly doesn't look to help fight himself, but he offers the other symbiote to Kassidy back in Ravencroft, who becomes Carnage. There is some very nice staging and animation when Cletus first takes the suit, and a nice nod to the comics as it appears in a constant state of flux, much like Mark Bagley originally drew it. Just as something is done so right visually, you are reminded of what show you are watching when they repeated the animation of Venom breaking out of the prison, rather than showing Carnage escape. It was only a split second frame that looked like they forgot to remove it, but it was amateur level editing once again.

The animation was serviceable in part one, but looked infinitely better in part two. It was nothing to the level of the original Alien Costume episodes, but it was a noticeable improvement that should be commended. Indeed, Carnage looked glorious in Part Two.

Iron Man eventually takes over from the injured War Machine, and he and Spidey go looking for Venom and Carnage. Madame Web once again makes an unwanted intervention to show Spidey that Baron Mordo was the one who brought the symbiotes back to Earth. She undermined Spidey's intelligence too frequently in my opinion, it got old quick.

The episode does eventually see Brock go after Parker at his house then at the Bugle, in what would be Venom's last turn as a villain, before he became a hero, just like he did in the comics. The idea of Venom and Spidey teaming up to stop Carnage is essentially the plot to most Carnage stories, but Venom as a babyface has never, ever worked. The 3 part story in the comic book actually had the ingenious idea of Spideh betraying Venom, which beautifully set up thier rematch in Amazing Spider-Man #374-375. Amazing #375 was co-incidentally the very first comic book I ever read. What an issue to start on!

26.jpg

The episode starts crushing under its own weight at this point, as it becomes more about Dormammu entering our dimension, rather than the villains I had far more interest in seeing, Venom and Carnage. Both of them are oddly killed off (well, in this shows sense) as Venom sacrifices himself to save Dr Kafka. As a villain most Spidey fans has waited years to see, it seems odd to kill Carnage off in only his second appearance. Both episodes are still highly enjoyable, but looking back, there are a bit needlessly stuffed. I would've much preferred Spidey and Venom Vs Carmage or a good triple threat match, but alas, it was not to be. Still, it was hella cool seeing Spidey and Iron Man teaming up too.

Things get so much worse with The Spot, arguably the shows worst villain. When I interviewed writer Jim Krieg, he more or less said The Spot was essentially used so they could have the time dilation accelerator (portal machine to you and me). He's never been much more than a joke in the comics and the episode absolutely sucks. It brushes past the seasons in the making romance between Peter and MJ by getting them back together off screen and reduces The Kingpin to a useless side character. It also has a massive plot hole (I didn't mean that as a pun, apologies) when Dr Owne is killed off inside the portal - why wouldn't he just open another portal back home when he was inside? Baffling.

The highlight of the episode is the epilogue in which The Hobgoblin, who learns of the TDA and yearns for its power, mainly because he thinks it's an excellent way to steal money. He kept his motivation from his first appearance and Mark Hamill was on point, as always. When it comes to voicing villains, forget it, he is the best, bar none. You could tell Hamill was having the time of his life voicing Hobgoblin too, his evil cackle is just delightful.

Goblin War! sadly treats him like a massive jobber (wrestling talk again sorry) as soon he unveils his mask his fiancé Felicia and The Green Goblin attacks him and makes him look like a child. He turns into a complete wimp as soon as it’s revealed that Jason Macendale is The Hobogblin. What a waste of a fantastic villain.

23.jpg

The return of The Green Goblin also saw the show adapt one of Spider-Man’s most famous storylines, Turning Point and The Death of Gwen Stacey. Obviously Gwen hadn’t been introduced as all roads lead to her death (seriously, ever adaptation of Gwen is just a guessing game until she dies, Spectacular aside). It was utterly unthinkable that the show would kill MJ off at the time…

The Death of Gwen Stacey is without question still the greatest death in all of comics. It wasn’t done for the sake of a shock of a sales increase, it wasn’t negated by bringing her back, or proven to be a ruse all along. Parker knew the dangers of being a superhero and he got the harshest reminder possible. A maniac found out who he was and threw his girlfriend off a bridge and no one saw it coming. It actually had a story to it beyond shock. The animated adaptation obviously couldn’t have Goblin snap MJ’s neck, so she was sent off to another dimension. It is a sombre occasion as Spidey leads into the Hudson and cries that he can’t find her and his rage when The Goblin is about to be sucked into the abyss before he realises that revenge won’t bring her back. Notice when he’s utterly lost, he calls on Madame Web to bring both of them back, when at the beginning of the episode, he said he wasn’t interested in whatever her plans for him where, he was happy where he was at with Mary Jane.

After finally giving Madame Web what for for failing to help him when he needed it the most, Parker again realises that he has failed to live up to the responsibility that comes with his power and he has again failed the person who needed him the most. It was powerful stuff… Turning Point is the best episode in the show’s run, in my opinion. It was full of such great stuff… terrific animation, a tense sense at the dinner table as Osborn teases revealing Parker’s secret in front of all of his friends, the clever use of the TDA to deduce Parker’s identity. The show wouldn’t reach this episodes heights until it’s finale, it truly was the turning point of the season. The show faltered from here and became almost unrecognisable from what it used to be. Season three had the highest of highs and lowest of lows and ended on a brilliant note… it’s a shame it took so long to get this high again.

Next: The Parker Luck

Last edited:

Antiyonder

Amalgam Universe Overlord
Staff member
Stu said:
With Carnage debuting, Venom also returned, finally reunited with his symbiote. Unfortunately, whilst they managed to make Carnage a great villain whom I personally would’ve loved to see return, the show followed the stupid comic storyline and turn Venom into a good guy. Yes, making one of Spidey’s coolest enemies in years into a Lethal Protector makes a hell of a lot of sense, doesn’t it? Marvel was full of stupid ideas like this, and the company nearly became bankrupt because of it. Making Venom a good guy completely ruined any chemistry he had with Spider-Man and the character’s never been as interesting since. Shame, he was a fantastic villain at one point.

But keep in mind, The Animated Venom didn't commit a single murder, so it kind of works better than the comic.

Stu

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Antiyonder said:
But keep in mind, The Animated Venom didn't commit a single murder, so it kind of works better than the comic.
I prefer Venom as a pyscho who will stop at nothing to kill Spider-Man. I never bought Brock's reasoning for Peter being evil, especially considering he has all of Parker's pre-symbiote memories - he must now that Spider-Man believes it his responsibility to save people - not hurt them.

All of Venom's pre-Carnage appearances are fantastic, the quality afterwards ranged from quite good to abysmal, in my opinion.

Glad to see people are still reading! I'll have another part up later today. :)

Antiyonder

Staff member
Stu said:
I prefer Venom as a pyscho who will stop at nothing to kill Spider-Man. I never bought Brock's reasoning for Peter being evil, especially considering he has all of Parker's pre-symbiote memories - he must now that Spider-Man believes it his responsibility to save people - not hurt them.

Keep in mind that the symbiote could be blocking the responsibility aspect from Eddie. Even if the symbiote gave him all info, part of the reason could be denial and scapegoating. Demona from Gargoyles is a prime example of that.

Mad Mod 49

After the complete calamity that was The Spot (seriously, it’s been 10 years and the episode still makes me cringe!)

But at least it was mentioned...I see you left out The Rocket Racer completely (I don't blame you...that episode was actually probably even worse than The Spot! :ack: )

Stu

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Mad Mod 49 said:
But at least it was mentioned...I see you left out The Rocket Racer completely (I don't blame you...that episode was actually probably even worse than The Spot! :ack: )
I didn't need reminding of Rocket Racer, damn you! :p Such a terrible, terrible episode.

It's been a little weird looking back through the show again. I've barely watched it since I completed the site for the show last year and I keep noticing the same thing - I really enjoy the majority of the episodes, but keep finding a lot of them could've been done better. There's some brilliant ideas in here, no doubt, but each episode has little niggles that stop it from becoming even better. There's a few exceptions, of course, Night Of The Lizard, The Alien Costume Parts One and Two and The Hobgoblin Part 2.

And now onto season 4. I'll try and get the final season up tomorrow, but I do expect to ramble on for some time :)

Stu

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Season four sadly failed to live up to standards set up in previous seasons. There was no real meat to many of the stories and there's little in the way of of ongoing storylines and the season sadly lacks any great or big villains. With most of Spidey's classic foes introduced in seasons one, two and three and the majority of the guest stars already having appeared, the show seemed to plodder along rather than give one a gripping reason to watch next weeks episode. There's not really a stand out episode to be found, but some are enjoyable... Some are not. The premiere deals with Spidey's guilt over his loss of MJ and he blames himself for her disappearance and decides the world doesn't need Spider-Man anymore, having ultimately failed to live up the responsibility expected of his great power.

The story sees Robbie framed and incarcerated as a ploy from The Kingpin at the request of his son, as retribution from Tombstone helping Richard Fisk out of a few scrapes in prison. Jameson can't believe that Robertson is guilty of the crime for which he is accused, and begins to personally investigate the situation. It's worth adding again that this show has a wonderful version of Jonah, who despite his often hilarious irate demeanour, is actually a three dimensional character who cares about his employees, albeit he loathes it if they actually discover it.

03.jpg

The show never did quite get around to adapting Spider-Man No More! but it often flirted with the idea of Peter abandoning his Spidey suit, but rarely was it developed as a full idea. It seemed as soon as he vowed or considered to stop being Spider-Man, he was back in the suit moments later.

The season showed Spidey battling his depression over the loss of MJ. The show relied on flashbacks far too much by this point and it frequently showed the final moments of Turning Point, often add nauseam. It would have been far more effective to show quick flashes but this show did have an annoying fondness of showing us things we've already seen before. Repeating the flashbacks seemed to be a way of saving costs of animating new footage.

Felicia Hardy would finally become The Black Cat in the following episode, as Kingpin discovers that John Hardsky, the only man alive who knows the formula to create the super solider serum that turned skinny Steve Rogers into Captain America in World War II and naturally Kingpin wanted it to presumably make another costumed supervillain to serve and more than likely turn on him. After making Doc Ock look like a jobber again, Octavius kidnaps Hardsky who vows never to reveal the formula.

Hardsky is based on The Cat, a cat burglar villain from the 80s, who I've not seen or heard about in decades. One of the first Spider-Man comics I ever read was a UK annual repeat which featured The Cat and The Prowler with some beautiful Todd McFarcline artwork, so it was cool to see him on the show. Kingpin then blackmails him by kidnapping Felicia, and they test the formula on her, to make sure he's not pulling their leg. Rather than have her bad luck powers of the comics, Felicia is actually a super soldier. The coolest part of the story is the cameo from Captain America, 10 year old Stu was loving seeing Cap on the show. These two episodes are probably the strongest Black Cat related episodes. It was interesting to see their romance develop but at the same time, Spidey and Black Cat had no idea who was underneath the mask. Spidey wouldn't reveal his identity in case the same fate that fell on MJ fell on Black Cat.

One of the seasons highlights is The Return of Kraven in which Spidey is distraught when he learns that Dr Kafka has been killed and vows go 'destroy' whoever did it.... It should've been a powerful message about how far Spidey was willing to go, instead it's a reminder that the show isn't allowed to say the word kill. He later learns that Kafka isn't dead, but she was inflected with illness in Africa and Kravenoff gave her the same formula that turned him into Kraven. When Kraven and Calypso are reunited and leave New York, Spidey remarks that this isn't a happy ending for them and such things are now but a fantasy to him.

26.jpg

The season is pretty much standalone episode at this point, and the quality dropped from previous seasons. We also see the return of Morbius, which I didn't really think was necessary, nor did I want to see him again at this point. He had overstayed his welcome by the end of season two and was given a decent send off... more Michael Morbius wasn't a priority at this point. There were far more other villains who I would've preferred to see. In fairness to the show, most of the big Spidey villains were featured, other than Sandman, which was a legal issue. Semper admitted he wanted to do The Beetle but never got time to do it... the show managed to utilise some pretty obscure Spidey villains... Hammerhead, The Fox, Rocket Racer, The Big Wheel, The Spot... I doubt most Spidey fans would've expected to see them in the show (although admittedly, some of them with good reason.... How many of you would complain if they didn't?

Felicia still had feelings for Micheal, which came into conflict of her feelings for Spidey. Spidey of course, had no idea that Felicia was The Black Cat. The season would've been far more interest had they event sully find out each other identities, but alas, Spidey and Cats romance felt like it stopped more than ended, as Felicia left with Morbius and Blade. Yeah, Blade came back too. And brought his Mother with him, who is now a vampire. Some fans wondered aloud what any of this had to do with Spider-Man, and by this point, I was agreeing with them, however much I like Blade (although, it's again worth pointing out again that the Wesley Snipes version is far cooler than the cartoon.) Stickey Fingas is an arguable debate.

Cats sudden exit gave us the return of Mary Jane, who randomly reappears as The Punisher attempts to find her, and Harry becomes The Green Goblin. He wasn't a patch on Osborn Sr, it must be said. The episode never really pulled me in as much as it probably should've. It probably had to do with the fact that this shows version of Harry Osborn was particularly annoying, and his friendship with Peter was barely developed, they were roommates within a few appearances and he was just pretty much Norman's son after that. MJ's return left us with the mystery of where she had been, and of course, in classic comic book fashion, she had amnesia.

The follow up shows MJ getting a part as a replacement for Miranda Walker, an actress she resembles which basically serves as an excuse for Mysterio to return and give us an actual great villain, something this season had been sorely lacking. Anyone who has read any posts here, the various reviews I've done for my numerous sites or any of the other retrospectives will know I love Mysterio. Such a quirky, original villain who is dramatically unlike any other supervillain I can think of. I am actually hopeful Mysterio will be announced as the villain in the Marvel Cinematic Universe Spider-Man movie, but I'm not holding my breath (my money is on Kraven... Just a gut feeling, the same I had for Bane in The Dark Knight Rises)

27.jpg

The ending to the episode is a shocker, as it comes a little from left field as Spidey rescues MJ from Mysterio and then proceeds to unmask. It's certainly an engaging cliffhanger but little had been done to build up to it... She had only just returned, and with the all the times we heard Parker talk to himself, not once did he consider actually telling MJ he is Spider-Man. He then immediately proposes. In a nice touch, he purposes next to Bruce, the long suffering gargoyle who Spidey constantly bitched about his love life to. I've no idea if Bruce is a jibe at Batman or not, or just a harmless behind the scenes nod. The follow up is sadly a chore to sit through, and yet again serves a harsh reminder of how good the show used to be, compared to what it had become. The Lizard King features a gimmick a little too silly even for a story about a man who becomes a human reptile and again, the repeated Lizard footage from Night of The Lizard is a harsh reminder of how terrible the visuals had become.

The Prowler followed up this episode, and is again a pretty ho hum standalone which served very little purpose. For a show that prides itself on its ability to hook you in with a long term storyline, season four was surprising full of filler. It may have been a massive joy for Prowler fans to finally see him animated, but I imagine that's about it. Prowler was also one of the Spidey figures I never once saw on the shelf and as a completist, he haunted me for years. Did any of you ever snag The Prowler toy?

Easily the weekend season of the show, there was hope things would improve with its final season. It would have its ups and downs...

Next: A Demise With Dignity?

Last edited:

Antiyonder

Staff member
Stu said:
One of the biggest shockers of the season was the death of Mysterio. It was certainly an odd episode that came completely out of left field, but to be honest, I was happy to see this great villain back on the show.

Even more of a shocker, considering the comic book version is killed off in Daredevil #7 Volume 2 later on after this aired.

ShockDingo

Freelance voice actor & fulltime symbiote geek.
Good stuff, good stuff. Hehe, I guess I'm the only one who liked the idea of Venom being an anti-hero. To me it made sense, but I admit they overdid things. I always felt what made Venom great was that he's not the typical villain trying to control the world. Spidey is his main focus and problem; so I really didn't see him going after little old ladies and chucking nuns into outerspace. He is still a human being, he blames Spidey for his troubles; I could see him doing things to get at Spidey, like attack or kidnap MJ, but I couldn't see him doing something like what electro did in MK:Spidey. (kill dozens of people by igniting the gas tanks) I thought if they handled it in a bit of a slightly toned down manner, the lethal protector thing could have won more people over. But oh, well that's just me. :p

Oh and yea, I agree, they wasted it with Harry, maaaan they could of totally made Spidey crack. Think about it; he's lost MJ, he got rid of his best buddy's dad and now his best bud is a psycho. They even could have at the end put a really big "What effect do I have on people?! Everyone I care about, dies, is hurt, or is somehow twisted into a perversion of their former self! First Uncle Ben, then Mj, now Harry?! What is next?" type of speech. Oh well, me just rambling :D

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Fone to this day vouches for this place and I’ll never understand why. I didn’t ask for him to speak on my behalf, but he did, and that was the true nail in the coffin for his account here.

He stuck his neck out for practically everyone here and the boards want you to pretend he never existed.
The CSC Channels prior to 2017 were actually amazing. A shame it was all thrown under the bus.
Lesson learned. Never talk to anyone ever.
Somebody please give me a show that I won't ever regret watching.
Samurai Champloo, $5 on Apple TV. I know the series is 20 years old which is, like, 100 years in anime world, but definitely worth the buy!

Featured Posts