Spider-Man: TAS "Goblin War!" Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate and comment on this episode

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 4 23.5%

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • ***1/2

Votes: 3 17.6%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • **1/2

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • *1/2

• Total voters

Stu

Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Discuss this Spider-Man: The Animated Series episode!

Episode #40 - Goblin War!
Original Airdate - November 16, 1996

The Green Goblin and the Hobgoblin clash over Dr. Ohn's Time Dilation Accelerator. Meanwhile, Peter and Mary Jane are celebrating Felicia Hardy's engagement to Jason Macendale when it is revealed that Macendale is in fact the Hobgoblin!

Comments?

Stu

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Great episode. It also builds up well to the best episode of the series which hopefully ABC will air next week in Turning Point. Goblin War tied up several little storylines, including the idnetity of The Hobgoblin, as well as what was going on with Norman Osborn and even if Felica still loved Spider-Man, not Jason. While it was a little dissapointing that the moment he unmasked, the Hobgoblin became nothing but a little wimp the previous 15 minutes where great. I thought the dimension hopping was a good idea, and it provided a good way for the Green Goblin to escape.

Come on people! Let's get talking about this class episode of Spider-Man!!

Kolbar

@Cinecrisis on Twitter
Very good episode that left a good opening for the season finale, Turning Point.

The beginning was very well done with Hobgoblin and Kingpin, and it got better as one of my favorites villains came into the episode, The Green Goblin.

As I said, the Green Goblin is my favorite villain. His lines are very well written and his costume is great. Neil Ross, who also voiced him in Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends, does a terrific job at voicing Green Goblin.

The final battle scene between Green Goblin and Spider-Man was great. I thought it was very cool to see them hopping through the dimensional portals and throwing each other out of them while Felicia and Jason dangeled above the acid.

The ending is also very good. We get some foreshadowing from Felicia when she says, "I'm like a Black Cat, bringing bad luck to everyone who's path I cross."

Stu

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Neil Ross was great as The Green Goblin. He delivered one of the lines, something like "get off me you meddling insect" exactly like he did in Amazing Friends classicly, which before I heard it, I wasn't aware it was the same voice actor.

Hopefully they will air Turning Point soon.

Come on people! This board is dying, lets get some discussion going!!!!

Spider-Man

I found Hobgoblin's unmasking was a bit anticlimactic because we've only see Jason a handful of times before, if that. I actually didn't realize who the face was under the mask until Felicia blurts it out. I wish they built his character up more.

Stu

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Toon Disney aired this episode this morning. It's conclusion will air tomorrow!

goblinwar1.jpg

Episode #40 - Goblin War!
Original Airdate - November 16, 1996

When Dr. Ohn's Time Dilation Accelerator falls into the wrong hands all the criminal minds of the city vie for the portal technology. Peter and Mary Jane are celebrating Felicia Hardy's engagement to Jason McEndale when they overhear plans for a major heist they must stop right then. Also, The Green Goblin returns gunning for his enimies, including Hobgoblin, Kingpin and Spidey!

Comments?

Stu

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Did anyone else notice how cool the scene with Norman becoming the Goblin again in the mirror was? I thought we never saw enough of the Goblin in this show, so many stories, so little episodes! Same with Venom.

This was such a good arc. I think Hobgoblin is the coolest villian in this show, so it was pretty dissapointing how he ended up here.

At least we got to see him again in all his glory in Spider-Wars.

shany94a

Candy Pirate
Wow, it's been a long time since I've seen this one. The only thing I didn't like about this story arc/continuity is that the Hobgoblin appeared before the Green Goblin did ("Hey, you're not the Hobgoblin!"). Other than that, I enjoyed it, and I liked Mark Hamill's voice work as the Hobgoblin just as much as his Joker from the various animated Batman series.

spidercarnage

This ep and the next ep (turning point) were the peak of the series. In fact, season 3 generally ruled over seasons 1,2 and especially 4 (not too fond of season 4).

Chris Barnes with another fantastic performance of Peter Parker.

Mark Hamill's voice was perfect for hobgoblin, though i too wish the green goblin had showed up first. It made the main goblin (gg) seem like a cheap knock off of the hobgoblin.

Neil Ross yet again, doing a fantastic the green goblin, aswel as the confused Norman Osborn. That laugh is spot on. The green goblin needed to be portrayed as a bigger villian throughout the series. Also, if Norman had an established relationship with Peter in the previous eps of the series, it may have helped enhance the tragedy of what he did to MJ as Peter would have 'known' Norman, not just known of him.

Anyway, cool ep. 9/10.

Spider-Man

Amazing Spidey said:
This was such a good arc. I think Hobgoblin is the coolest villian in this show, so it was pretty dissapointing how he ended up here.
I thought Hobgoblin not only worked out great in the cartoon, for the most part, but he was great in the comics when used right. I really miss seeing that orange and blue costume in the comics every now and again. They really worked his character over in the comics.

Stu

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Spider-Man said:
I thought Hobgoblin not only worked out great in the cartoon, for the most part, but he was great in the comics when used right. I really miss seeing that orange and blue costume in the comics every now and again. They really worked his character over in the comics.

I've not seen Hobgoblin in years! Back in the Stern days i.e pre Venom , Hobgoblin was Spidey's chief villian of sorts. There was a great sense of mystery as to who it was behind the mask. This series went for that, and basically lost it once we found out who he was.

I thought it was cool seeing them animated together, both here as enemies, then as partners in the alternate reality episode, Spider Wars.

Spider-Friends

www.spider-friends.com
Kolbar said:
As I said, the Green Goblin is my favorite villain. His lines are very well written and his costume is great. Neil Ross, who also voiced him in Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends, does a terrific job at voicing Green Goblin.
Amazing Spidey said:
Neil Ross was great as The Green Goblin. He delivered one of the lines, something like "get off me you meddling insect" exactly like he did in Amazing Friends classicly, which before I heard it, I wasn't aware it was the same voice actor.
You guys probably know by now but just to clarify, Neil Ross did NOT provide the voice for the Green Goblin on Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends. Dennis Marks did the voice of the Goblin. Neil Ross DID provide the voice for Norman Osborn.

Stu

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Spider-Friends said:
You guys probably know by now but just to clarify, Neil Ross did NOT provide the voice for the Green Goblin on Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends. Dennis Marks did the voice of the Goblin. Neil Ross DID provide the voice for Norman Osborn.

Really? They sound exactly alike! You have to wonder why they would cast someone as Norman, but not as the Goblin. Why have 2 voices for the same character? Someone like The Hulk I could understand, but The Green Goblin?

Spider-Man

Was this episode based off any of the comics? I'd love to read some comics where the Green Goblin and Hobgoblin clashed. If there's one thing I wish that the comic exploited was the rivalry between the two great characters.

Xurk

It isn't based on any comics, but there are a few comics where the Hobgoblin and the Green Goblin both appear / face off against each other.
I think the only ones are:
- "The Hobgoblin Lives!" mini
- "Goblin's Gate" running through issues #259-261 of Spectacular Spider-Man

The Hobgoblin didn't show up in the comics until after Norman Osborn died, so I think these are the only comics featuring Hobbie and the original Green Goblin.
I don't know about any comics featuring Harry as GG or any of the others [including other Hobgoblins [Jason Macendale?] though...

A.Magik

Xurk said:
It isn't based on any comics, but there are a few comics where the Hobgoblin and the Green Goblin both appear / face off against each other.
I think the only ones are:
- "The Hobgoblin Lives!" mini
Actually, Osborn isn't in that one. He is mentioned a lot (this story was written after the 2nd Clone Saga), but makes no appearance.

- "Goblin's Gate" running through issues #259-261 of Spectacular Spider-Man
Wasn't it called 'Goblins at the Gate?'

That's the only one with the original Goblins of Norman and Roderick. However, this has another Green Goblin (a clone) besides Norman, who doesn't wear his garb in the story. Fortunately, Norman is the chief villain here, and he gets into a slugfest with Hobgoblin Kingsley.

This story was also written by Roger Stern, creator of the Hobgoblin.

The Hobgoblin didn't show up in the comics until after Norman Osborn died, so I think these are the only comics featuring Hobbie and the original Green Goblin.
I don't know about any comics featuring Harry as GG or any of the others [including other Hobgoblins [Jason Macendale?] though...
There is Amazing Spider-Man#212, where A Green Goblin (Harry) fights A Hobgoblin (Macneadle). This one has been collected in the TPB Spider-Man: Son of the Goblin.

A.Magik

Spider-Man

A.Magik said:
There is Amazing Spider-Man#212, where A Green Goblin (Harry) fights A Hobgoblin (Macneadle). This one has been collected in the TPB Spider-Man: Son of the Goblin.
I may have to look into that. I think exploring the rivalry angle between the two characters would be a good way to go. It's even reversed in the cartoon continuity so it'd make for a different dynamic. While this episode wasn't great by any means it did bring the two characters head to head. I just wish we saw more of it.

Jon T

Friendless Spidey
A.Magik said:
Amazing Spider-Man #312 (Hobgoblin first appeared in #238!). This issue was from Todd McFarlane's original run as a Spider-Man artist and was actually titled "The Goblin War". It's probably where the title of this episode came from.

Spider-Man

jtalpur said:
Amazing Spider-Man #312 (Hobgoblin first appeared in #238!). This issue was from Todd McFarlane's original run as a Spider-Man artist and was actually titled "The Goblin War". It's probably where the title of this episode came from.
And this is the story collected in the Spider-Man: Son of the Green Goblin collection? I've been looking for a reason to get this collection and it looks like I have a reason to get it now! It probably only shares the name and none of the storylines right?

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Somebody please give me a show that I won't ever regret watching.
Samurai Champloo, $5 on Apple TV. I know the series is 20 years old which is, like, 100 years in anime world, but definitely worth the buy!
I now genuinely want to see Steve Blum voice Kermit in something official. He is spot on.

Sparklefan1234 wrote on Classic Speedy's profile.
I just saw this on Reddit and instantly thought of you. ;)

Least favourite cartoon?

For me it's Poochini, I dislike the torment that Poochini goes through most of the time.

Featured Posts