"Star Wars: Ahsoka" Talkback (Spoilers)

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Dug the Huyang's in a galaxy far, far away. Nice touch. Anyone think when Grogu sees the purgill in hyperspace during Mandalorian season 3 was this same pod Ahsoka and Huyang were traveling with? That would be a neat easter egg.

Also loved Baylan has his own plans and he was right about the Jedi. He liked their ideals but hated what they became in practice in the end. Also curious what his agenda could be or what he senses. Could it be Ezra or could Ezra had attained Force mastery on this planet somehow and that's what Baylan's been looking for? EDIT: Could be the Kwa and their Star Temples. EDIT 2: Could be a Wellspring/Force planet and there's a vergence calling to Baylan like that evil cave on Dagobah. Could be heading into some cosmic Force focus. Hmm.

Did love that Shin is starting to doubt things.

Nightsisters! First time in live action I think? Definitely got the Macbeth vibes. Don't trust them. Feels like they'll double cross Thrawn once those threads they see tell them to. Maybe to do with those casket cases they're moving.

Glad we got to see Thrawn and Ezra debut before the season finale. Ezra's gotta know something's up... yeah, Sabine putting off the truth and keep threatening the delicate peace of the galaxy earned from the death of billions just to see your friend again. Hope Ezra sets her straight next week.

The Night Troopers and Captain Enoch seem creepy. Bet they were resurrected with magic like Marrok was. Hope Enoch doesn't have a Phasma ending though.

Dug the horse-dog thing Sabine bonded with in her own way. lol. Hermit crab aliens were cute.

But uh the way that Star Destroyer was docked on the pillar... definitely went to a certain Austin Powers quote in my head... :p

Obligatory "It's a trap!" sounded off in my head at the end of the episode. Man will it be cruel and depressing if next week are ships shooting and killing the purgills.

Boy, would it be a season finale if it ends with Ahsoka, Huyang, Sabine, and Ezra trapped on that planet while Thrawn and co. return to the other galaxy and rally the remnants together.

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Ahsoka "Part Six: Far, Far Away"

I have a lot of nice things to say about that, and I also have a lot of pointed things to say about that. I feel like this will be a longish review because I want to explore all of the episode's virtues and faults in detail. I have a feeling my gripes, although perhaps fewer than my compliments, might take up a disproportionate amount of the review. But even if I complain a lot, I'm letting you know up front this is a relatively positive review. It might be hard to tell that at points because I will speak some hard truths about the series' failings, apparent in this episode especially.

And if most of the review seems negative, I think it's fair that I state a positive right off the bat. Star Wars has been around for around 45 years, right? Give or take? That's about as long as it's been a part of the pop-culture Zeitgeist. I personally think that after 45 years, Huyang is simply put, the greatest Droid in the history of the franchise. And after a mere six episodes I don't think it's even close for another beloved Droid like C-3PO. David Tennant deserves and will get the lion's share of the praise for the character. But the truth is it's not simply Tennant. The character is written with a nuance and subtlety all other Droids lack. And whatever else, good or bad, Ahsoka, the TV show is, it is definitely the thing that came up with the best Star Wars Droid of all time.

My biggest misgiving about the episode is that Ahsoka is only in the very beginning. And this is what happened to The Book Of Boba Fett. More colorful characters like Mando and Grogu (not to mention Luke Freaking Skywalker himself) showed up and essentially stole Boba's series right out from under him. I won't pretend that Ezra Bridger or his new actor is the same level of scene-stealer, but Lars Mikkelsen as Thrawn? He just became a way more important and interesting character than Ahsoka ever was. The Book Of Boba Fett goofed and did wrong by Temuera Morrison. They promised the poor guy his own show and just got distracted with other stuff. I think the same thing happened with Rosario Dawson. I could be wrong. But I don't think the final two episodes will be shifting focus back to her so I don't think I am.

I love that the show is raising questions about the storytelling nature of the words "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away." It makes the movie credit crawl feel like a part of the mythos, and a part of me wonders when Baylan describes the dead world they are on in those terms, if perhaps Our Universe has a similar relationship to Star Wars. Baylan describes wanting things to stop, and how the rising and falling power struggles seem unending. Does the saga perhaps take place in the long ago and far away BECAUSE things have ended, and George Lucas and Disney are standing over the remnants of a dead galaxy? You will say, "Matt, you are overthinking things again." I say you can never overthink sci-fi and speculative fiction. The questions and theories raised are part of the fun, especially if said questions and theories are never answered / paid off. Cynics will bemoan me taking the reality of a sci-fi / fantasy mishmash so seriously. I will tell those cynics their problem is they aren't taking things seriously enough.

Disney had been hedging about Mikkelsen being cast as Thrawn. For Star Wars fans, he was really the ONLY choice. He doesn't exactly LOOK the part, but his voice is irreplaceable, and probably the second most memorable Star Wars voice after Darth Vader's himself. Disney went back and forth in denying the casting (probably to keep it a secret) but if they HAD cast somebody else, not only would it not have worked, we all would have been pissed. So NOT a surprise.

And I think it's about time to talk about actual surprises, and how for the franchise that came up with the shocker "Luke, I am your father," Star Wars does not surprise the audience or the viewer very often anymore. And nowhere is it more predictable than the villains' goals and plans. I would love to singularly blame Lucas for this, and yes, it was worst during Star Wars: The Clone Wars, but the Disney stuff hasn't really upped their game there, (with the notable exception of Vader's clever machinations in Obi-Wan Kenobi). Otherwise, the villains in the current Star Wars stuff are pretty basic evil.

Thrawn and Baylan's plan to track Sabine and have her lead them to Ezra and then kill them both is portrayed as both shocking and coldblooded. No. What it IS is common sense. I am not giving Thrawn or Baylan Bonus Supervillain points for doing a logical thing. The fact that Sabine has no idea that's the reason they let her go shows a deep stupidity in the character. And her declining to talk to Ezra about HOW she got there says there is stupidity inherent in Filoni's writing as well. That specific bit of plot-related stupidity should not ever have happened. It would not have on a better project. Is is possible Sabine knew they were behind her the entire time and is playing a long con? I would love to grasp at that theory, I would, but her refusing to talk to Ezra about how she got there means it's actually a nonstarter. I wish Filoni didn't decide to make Sabine, one of the more likable characters on Rebels, this dirt-stupid and annoying.

Speaking of Rebels, I gave a crazy theory in the last review that this show's mild language was a way for Filoni to have the censor-plagued Rebels fit into the larger Star Wars Universe easier. And I'm sure many people thought I was overthinking THAT too. If anything this episode proves me right! Why? Because Thrawn doesn't just threaten to kill Ezra and Sabine. He threatens to "DESTROY" them, the Nerfed threat of neutered Saturday Morning and Weekday Afternoon villains everywhere! Tell me Filoni didn't JUST do have Thrawn make that ridiculous, real-world unrealistic threat to make Rebels seem credible in hindsight! Because I won't believe you!. Because damn it, that's what it actually does!

Are we done with the review? Do I actually need to offer thoughts on the cutesy rock-shell creatures or Sabine's pet horsey-thing? No. What I will point out is something I mentioned in some of my reviews for The Mandalorian, but maybe not everybody has read them. Whatever action occurs in the Disney+ series is a huge step down from the nonstop fast pace of the Disney-era films. I will argue the pacing and effects are a step down from the Prequel Trilogy too. What I want people to keep in mind when talking crap about this show and the others about that is that both the effects and pacing seem very much in line with the Original Trilogy. I actually think because of the creatures, the effects are a little better. But I hear nothing but criticism about the slow pacing of this show, The Book Of Boba Fett, and the Mandalorian Season 3. What was the last time y'all watched the first Star Wars? Because the first 45 minutes of THAT beloved classic are a freaking slow-paced slog. You can bemoan the Disney+ stuff for that. But the ponderous treks over vast planetary vistas is VERY much in line with the first movie. The franchise only really became frenetically paced in Return Of The Jedi and onward. I don't mind people taking shots at the pacing. But at least admit the slow pacing is NOT off-brand for the franchise. Watching a fussy C-3PO chase R2-D2 all over the dunes of Tatooine is about as riveting as watching paint dry. And it always was.

Okay, now I'm done. ***1/2.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
My biggest misgiving about the episode is that Ahsoka is only in the very beginning. And this is what happened to The Book Of Boba Fett. More colorful characters like Mando and Grogu (not to mention Luke Freaking Skywalker himself) showed up and essentially stole Boba's series right out from under him. I won't pretend that Ezra Bridger or his new actor is the same level of scene-stealer, but Lars Mikkelsen as Thrawn? He just became a way more important and interesting character than Ahsoka ever was. The Book Of Boba Fett goofed and did wrong by Temuera Morrison. They promised the poor guy his own show and just got distracted with other stuff. I think the same thing happened with Rosario Dawson. I could be wrong. But I don't think the final two episodes will be shifting focus back to her so I don't think I am.
Yes, it's clear at this point this was another mis-titled show. It's not a solo Ahsoka show. Maybe something like Star Wars: Spectres or Star Wars: Ghost Cell would have been more appropriate. At least the next show, Skeleton Crew, didn't make that mistake.

And I think it's about time to talk about actual surprises, and how for the franchise that came up with the shocker "Luke, I am your father," Star Wars does not surprise the audience or the viewer very often anymore. And nowhere is it more predictable than the villains' goals and plans. I would love to singularly blame Lucas for this, and yes, it was worst during Star Wars: The Clone Wars, but the Disney stuff hasn't really upped their game there, (with the notable exception of Vader's clever machinations in Obi-Wan Kenobi). Otherwise, the villains in the current Star Wars stuff are pretty basic evil.
Baylan not turning out to be just an evil ex-Jedi merc working a gig and actually having his own agenda to end the loop of war and peace wasn't a good surprise?

Thrawn and Baylan's plan to track Sabine and have her lead them to Ezra and then kill them both is portrayed as both shocking and coldblooded. No. What it IS is common sense. I am not giving Thrawn or Baylan Bonus Supervillain points for doing a logical thing. The fact that Sabine has no idea that's the reason they let her go shows a deep stupidity in the character. And her declining to talk to Ezra about HOW she got there says there is stupidity inherent in Filoni's writing as well. That specific bit of plot-related stupidity should not ever have happened. It would not have on a better project. Is is possible Sabine knew they were behind her the entire time and is playing a long con? I would love to grasp at that theory, I would, but her refusing to talk to Ezra about how she got there means it's actually a nonstarter. I wish Filoni didn't decide to make Sabine, one of the more likable characters on Rebels, this dirt-stupid and annoying.
The series premiere made me think Sabine is a cool character but the good will evaporated with one dumb selfish decision she made that's going to screw over the New Republic and the fragile peace that took decades of war and deaths to accomplish. On the other hand, if she did destroy the orb -- she would have been killed. No way she could have fought or escaped both Baylan and Shin. It was a no-win situation and she had to choose compromise even though we now know the Purgill was another way to get to the other galaxy. Whether Sabine is or isn't playing a long con, she's going to Ezra because that's what she wanted all along. On some level, she's got to know the word of an Imperial is just air and he's her only shot at not getting killed. Maybe I'm being too forgiving of the writing but she's got no clue Ahsoka and Huyang are on their way and must know she can't go it along for long on that planet. Hoping the next set of Ezra-Sabine and Sabine-Ahsoka scenes will button things up and take me off the fence.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Baylan not turning out to be just an evil ex-Jedi merc working a gig and actually having his own agenda to end the loop of war and peace wasn't a good surprise?
I can't tell if you are being serious. Of course not! Because it wasn't a surprise! That's how Stevenson played the character the entire time! His monologue to his Apprentice didn't tell me anything about him that his performance already did.

Let me also offer some advice about being forgiving of bad writing. Joss Whedon has taught me writers who are good and who start slipping up, will take advantage of every bit of slack or benefit of the doubt fans give them due to prior good work. If the writing is currently shady, I'll say so. A wait and see approach makes a creator believe they are infallible enough to create Dollhouse. I don't want that for Filoni, and his fans shouldn't want that for him either. Hell, Filoni probably doesn't want that either. That means calling out shady writing as it occurs.

The best part is if what you are saying is true, I can backpedal, apologize, and say he knew what he was doing all along. Mea culpas could possibly be due on my end. But I'm not gonna let him ruining the character of Sabine right under our noses pass unremarked in the meantime. If there's a larger plan or reason for it I'll eat crow in a couple of weeks. For now I'mma call b.s. on this nonsense.

He actually had her leave behind the cat from Rebels a few episodes ago. Appalling is what it was. While he had her do that, I feel perfectly comfortable calling the shenanigans I do.

Edit:

I'm thinking over this. I do believe this post might just be a wee bit RUDE to you, Yojimbo. Apologies. I do tend to get... animated when discussing writing matters, don't I? Sorry about that.

Last edited:

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
My biggest misgiving about the episode is that Ahsoka is only in the very beginning. And this is what happened to The Book Of Boba Fett. More colorful characters like Mando and Grogu (not to mention Luke Freaking Skywalker himself) showed up and essentially stole Boba's series right out from under him.

Okay this isn't nearly as bad as the Book of Boba Fett was when it comes to stealing character focus. Because in Book of Boba Fett it literally felt like the stuff with Djin until he was actually interacting with Boba was all stuff from a totally DIFFERENT series aka HIS series. Like all the plot points about his banishment and making his new ship and Grogu had NOTHING to do with any sort of plot set up in Book of Boba Fett, same with the bits with Luke and Grogu that all felt totally unrelated and like "okay we set up Grogu going away with Luke at the end of season 2 but people love Grogu so since we're donig more Mandalorian we have to have them be together in season 3 but don't want to spend time doing that in season 3 so let's do that in this show." Like the only thing those near Fett less episodes had to do with the story was showcasing Cad Bane mostly who hadn't ever been hinted at till that point so yeah it totally came out of nowhere.

This episode did have Ahoska actually doing something and having lines (Boba didn't even have lines in those two episodes) but all the plot points were on characters and story threads already established in this story. This entire season has been talking about Thrawn and Ezra so them actually showing up and that being a big deal was actually built up to and when they did appear they were interacting with characters and stories set up in the rest of the season; Sabine wanted to find her friend and Morgan wanted to get Thrawn to bring him back to their galaxy to start rebuilding the empire. Like all of this was what the season had been building on and didn't feel like it was taking a plot from some other show and making the series now about this. Not to mention that Book of Boba Fett was wasting time and focus on other lead heroes. I'm sure Ezra will help but even the end highlights how Ahoska is the main protagnist of this series that Thrawn is more worried about then Bridger.

The series premiere made me think Sabine is a cool character

The premiere was trying to sell me on how cool a character she should be but I wasn't impressed with her blowing off the celebration for the work of the rebels like some angsty biker and I have to admit when she stole the orb to work on it at her own place off Ahoska's ship despite Ahosak telling her how important it was I felt that was the point that the character lost me and she was an obnoxious fool. Again I haven't seen much of Rebels but I don't remember people complaining about her that much in that show so I'm guessing this is a major downgrade of her character.

I can't tell if you are being serious. Of course not! Because it wasn't a surprise! That's how Stevenson played the character the entire time! His monologue to his Apprentice didn't tell me anything about him that his performance already did.

My friend and I were talking yesterday about how great Stevenson was in the role and how it is a shame he was taken too soon though yeah I admit it was only in the latest ep did I get a specific vibe of what exactly he was doing. Because before Stevenson was playing Baylan to me too "close to the chest" where you couldn't get a full beat of what he was about thus why now I find him interesting then just the more obstacle he appeared as before.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I found that Baylan was a character with a shameful seeming past that carried zero shame and apology for it. That spoke volumes to me. A good villain is the hero of their own story and Stevenson never played him differently.

Here's a thought to ponder. Baylan can believe his actions are for the greater good in stopping the unending cycle or war. Are we as the audience obligated to take that claim at face value? Another reason the revelation didn't "surprise" me is because as far as we know, it's not a given. It might be his own interpretation of his goals, and he might be suffering some delusions of grandeur there too. It's the fact that he was always so sure about his righteousness that makes me distrust the idea. Righteous people don't tend to be so sure of themselves. I'm wondering if whatever plan Baylan has cooking to end war and suffering isn't just a case of him kidding himself to be able to sleep at night for betraying the Jedi and everything he once stood for. And the fact that this is still an open question makes me like the character more. I'm sure if and when we find out the plan next week or the week after, I will simply find him a little bit less interesting than he was before. The mystery of how his plan is supposed to work is something I like about the character and his entire bit.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
A little serious, a little mercurial.

The premiere was trying to sell me on how cool a character she should be but I wasn't impressed with her blowing off the celebration for the work of the rebels like some angsty biker and I have to admit when she stole the orb to work on it at her own place off Ahoska's ship despite Ahosak telling her how important it was I felt that was the point that the character lost me and she was an obnoxious fool. Again I haven't seen much of Rebels but I don't remember people complaining about her that much in that show so I'm guessing this is a major downgrade of her character.
I haven't seen Rebels either. I just assumed out of that Ghost team, the premiere was trying to show she's the most rebellious, snarky, rule-breaker, skirting danger of the bunch. Like the stereotypical badgirl that's so cool we the audience should cheer for her. I'm curious if this is exactly how she was on Rebels, too... it might have worn thin on me had I watched the show.

Here's a thought to ponder. Baylan can believe his actions are for the greater good in stopping the unending cycle or war. Are we as the audience obligated to take that claim at face value? Another reason the revelation didn't "surprise" me is because as far as we know, it's not a given. It might be his own interpretation of his goals, and he might be suffering some delusions of grandeur there too. It's the fact that he was always so sure about his righteousness that makes me distrust the idea. Righteous people don't tend to be so sure of themselves. I'm wondering if whatever plan Baylan has cooking to end war and suffering isn't just a case of him kidding himself to be able to sleep at night for betraying the Jedi and everything he once stood for. And the fact that this is still an open question makes me like the character more. I'm sure if and when we find out the plan next week or the week after, I will simply find him a little bit less interesting than he was before. The mystery of how his plan is supposed to work is something I like about the character and his entire bit.
And if you think about it, Baylan was probably late teens/early 20s when Order 66 happened. Essentially, the same age as Anakin, I suppose. He somehow escaped and in a certain way, still that idealistic youth that thinks he can change the Force. What happened in the interim. Doesn't seem like he joined the Rebellion. He was a merc this whole time? Another possibly alarming aspect of his plan is that it's based on old legends he heard when he was Jedi. The planet being one mentioned in the legends so he feels more validated and probably is sure the rest of the stories are true. It's feeling like this power he's going after that's on the planet will have some sort of Indiana Jones twist and he'll get nerfed. Like those Nightsisters seem pretty eager to leave so could be this planet is super strong on the Light side of the Force. So if a Jedi turned Sith like Baylan tries to access that power... could be looking at a Nazi looking at the Ark or drinking from the wrong chalice.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I haven't seen Rebels either. I just assumed out of that Ghost team, the premiere was trying to show she's the most rebellious, snarky, rule-breaker, skirting danger of the bunch. Like the stereotypical badgirl that's so cool we the audience should cheer for her. I'm curious if this is exactly how she was on Rebels, too... it might have worn thin on me had I watched the show.
She was not like this on Rebels. Her persona was that of an artist. I have no idea what happened to her. Or Dave Filoni for that matter.

Edit:

Further, EZRA was the hothead back then. She was sensible.

Last edited:

Neo Ultra Mike

I found that Baylan was a character with a shameful seeming past that carried zero shame and apology for it. That spoke volumes to me. A good villain is the hero of their own story and Stevenson never played him differently.

Well honestly I don't find Baylan's whole ideals surprising but from the previous episodes I didn't really know exactly what his further ambitions were which is why this is the episode I was able to get on board with him because this actually spelled out what they were. And honestly it makes total sense for someone who not only was in the Clone Wars and lived through Order 66 but also the fall of the empire but also this group now trying to restart it. Which is why he became most interesting to me in this particular episode.

Well Fone Bone pointed out this isn't what she's like. I was going to go with "even if she was like this on Rebels, it would have made more sense there when her aggression and annoyance was likely because of the Empire. It's harder to justify that attitude more in times of peace" but if she was the more sensible one but isn't now sans just shoddy OOC writing there are likely 2 reasons

1. Just her desperation to get back Ezra is making her do all of these stupid things. Which even if they did have this really powerful connection on that show (that's where we need someone like Fone Bone who again has seen the series that we have not) it feels a lot more empty if you haven't. I think Fiolni took a lot of bad notes from Mandalorian Season 2 that yeah though a lot of fans dug seeing Bo-Katan and Ahoska again in that season, their stories for the most part there still involved Djin Djarin and his narrative and didn't require a lot of excessive information on previous series to get an emotional beat out of or anything. But yeah the whole subplot this season about her wanting to find Ezra likely really only works for you if you care about Ezra which requires really being into another different series. This isn't The Force Awakens where you care about finding Luke Skywalker again where you can take for granted people do because everyone has seen those other movies; this is much niche character so we have to be more on board for this journey.

2. Of course I think the other thing that is making Sabine more a brat is because she likely feels herself kind of a failure at the start of the series due to her not going anywhere in her own jedi training with Ahoska and apparently not really being force sensitive which this episode touches on as well. Thus wanting to prove herself by her own merits more even if that usually resolves in doing more stupid things. But again it's hard to sympathize for any of these actions when they keep backfiring on her. Like how many times do you have to be lightsabered in the chest to realize you might be at fault? Apparently more then once. Like Sabine during Baylan and Ahoska's struggles could have just taken the map and destroyed it while the two were fighting and could have even saved herself but again gave into her feelings too much for the sake of wanting to not only likely see Ezra but accomplish the task on her own merits but yeah that's not really much of a motivation for fans to get into. I don't care for leads who are jaded old failures who need to get back into the game but having them be obnoxious young screw ups who don't learn from their mistakes isn't good either. There has to be a balance between those ideas and yeah this one leaned too hard in the later for Sabine.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
On Rebels Sabine and Ezra were friends. No more, no less. No romantic sparks because of an age difference. His friendships with both Kanan and Zeb were deeper. If you asked me back then if she'd ever give up the safety of the entire galaxy for this one kid, I would have said "No." She's simply being written out of character here.

Somebody said in an earlier post (I forget if it was you or Yojimbo) that when she was alone with Baylan she was out of options and he would have killed her if she didn't comply. The Sabine as seen on Rebels would have thrown the map off the cliff and resigned herself to getting killed. This new, selfish persona Filoni has given her is a bad look and very unlike how she was portrayed before.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
ahskoatitlecard.jpg

Part Seven "Dreams and Madness" - September 26, 2023
Hera must answer to the New Republic while far, far away, a reunion takes place.

Last edited:

Neo Ultra Mike

"Dreams And Madness" - I'm not exactly sure where the "Madness" in this title stems from. Who goes crazy or even acts anything insane or related to that in this episode? No one. I guess if they're talking being generally annoyed there's the one senator in the opener and... me but I'll explain that more later. But yeah not really any madness... honestly I'd argue not really any dreams. What does that refer to Ahsoka finding Sabine through the force? That's more a "familiar feeling" (you know I am getting really sick of how Star Wars keeps throwing in these vague terms over and over again in their works. I get it's part of the world but honestly when people always talk this formerly it does sort agitate me and that's not the annoyance I was talking about earlier) then you know a dream or anything so this whole title's a lie. Might as well be called "Recall and Reunion" cause that's more the focus of this one honestly; characters either being reuinted or recalling teams to make a grander play. I will say I did like C3P0's cameo in the opening and how Hera stealthly was able to get a message to Leia who yeah if she knew about someone like Thrawn would want him hunted and taken down, damn the high tape bureaucracy. Though yeah despite that being part of the synopsis that takes up only a couple of minutes whose only point sans I guess giving Hera some screen time in this episode and having a reason for Anthony Daniels to be in this episode is to hype up Thrawn as a threat which.... eh didn't really ring for me here.

Granted I do appreciate how he is trying to be thorough (I guess even a lot of the imerpial high elites though don't know about the Vader = Anakin connection which fair enough guess that was suppose to be a very closely guarded secret) and the idea of "let's control her actions so even if we don't get her we're going to lead her far away while we pack up the rest of the fleet and leave" is good but... there's like a whole episode left so there's still plenty of time to have a climax actually taking down that fleet so the staging of this feeling like he won when he still really hasn't doesn't really gel for me. Especially since there weren't any loses for our heroes. Not even the tribe that Ezra was in seemed to suffer any loses. I do appreciate Ezra injuecting some more energy into this though as him wanting to go back for one of the tribe and saying they can surrender or being fine just using the force are good bits so I appreciate him bringing out some humanity but yeah it didn't make really any of the battle scenes good. Honestly I was getting reminded of Sonic Prime in "okay here's one wave of enemies defeated now here's ANOTHER to take down" which yeah is not how you write action scenes quite frankly and the fact they did this with the space chase AND the ground combat isn't really good. Plus sans extras everyone just felt momentarily knocked around. Even Baylan who had this big point to Ahsoka about "oh I can't let you go" gets like momentarily distracted and she just leaves and not like they're fight was that good... also I kind of thought Ahsoka in their last fight focus was more on the map and she was overall better then him while here it seemed opposite weirdly enough and even the battle with Shin and those troopers weren't that great and again just leaving characters there. I get Ahsoka wanting to at least try and reach Shin considering she knew what happened to Anakin and if she can help it wouldn't want to see other jedi turned but yeah again didn't lead any where and made the battles feel empty which you shouldn't really be feeling in the second to last episode. This is where you need something more to happen but no more just stalling tactics and yeah that makes them just feel obligatory. Like "this episode needed some action scenes so there you go."

And though there are a couple of charming moments like Ahsoka reminding Huyhang to have fate or her getting out of the ship again pointing out the first episode or Ahsoka reuinting with Bridger... feels like we're still kind of putting water under the bridge of "oh hey Sabine you kind of BETRAYED US ALL and led all the bad guys here" in this entire thing. Like she dances around the "complicated" matter when talking to Ezra and not brought up at all when Ahsoka shows up so yeah not like we're even going to really call Sabine out on this bullcrap. Maybe the last episode will but this one really should have especially since as Fone Bone pointed out this isn't like her from Rebels so her being so cocky in not even telling Ezra how she got here feels wrong. That's... really even all there is to talk about as this ep is pretty short and though yeah it is actually featuring more of Ahsoka (who I still feel mattered much more to her show then Boba Fett did to his) all we got is reunions and recalls... again that's what the peisode should have been called. Makes it a pretty meh experience honestly so hope the finale actually delivers on interesting things and more worthwhile action.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I was worried more for the Purgill and the Noti's but glad they escaped unscathed.

I'm super relieved the court martial only took up the cold open of the episode and didn't drag on. Glad they found a way to make Leia a part of this storyline. The complete absence of the original trilogy trinity in-universe would be a bit suss. Makes sense out of three, Leia would be the one to have a role given she's running the Defense Council -- and kudos to her, as this is an implication she's the strongest voice about keeping the New Republic armed but yet in the sequel trilogy ends up splitting off and forming the Resistance. Gee, wonder why. Xiono and those like him believing the Empire is done for and the Imperial Remnant and Thrawn returning are fantasies so generals can advance personal agendas. At least Xiono got served and Hera didn't get decommissioned. rofl at C3PO's "Mere droid?" comment. :D But still a way's to go to get the greenlight to start organizing forces. Having Mothma and Leia is a start. But time is running out.

I was cool with the episode spending its time showing how Thrawn's mind works. He stated at the beginning the primary objective was to get the ship loaded with the mystery cargo and leave the galaxy. By distracting Ahsoka with a space chase, then flushing her out, then attacking Sabine and Ezra with a bare minimum two gun ships, he bought the time needed and also pushed all threats into one place far away from his Star Destroyer. It would have helped to kill them but he got the optimal outcome he wanted. Interesting he's 'letting' Morgan question his moves.

It is a natural progression from her talk with Anakin that Ahsoka here wasn't fighting to kill Baylan or Shin and even said so to both. I mean, let's face it, the only people that need to get taken down are Thrawn, Morgan, and those Darksisters.

Interesting I guess to see Ezra just fights hand-to-hand and alternates in some Force pushes. Not as grand as I thought it would be. I guess after seeing Luke coming in on Mando S1 and tearing it up or his big Force casting in Last Jedi, might have fooled myself into thinking something mind blowing was gonna be revealed with Ezra.

It's great build up seeing doubt and hesitation in Shin episode to episode with Baylan basically dumping her when she's not ready to do it alone and Ahsoka offering to help her. Baylan on the other hand. Guess we gotta wait until the season finale to see the reveal of what his secret agenda was all along.

But ah, Ahsoka and co. better get to that ring ship cuz the whales are gone so that's the only way home...

Sure guess it wasn't the time because it was all happy reunion time but ugh, Sabine did not get called out yet. Will she next week or will they sweep it under the rug? Hate to say it but feels like the latter. Ugh, head shake of disappointment. Also, idk if this is a nitpick or not, but in Rebels did Sabine not wear her helmet all the time, too, or is this some bts thing where they couldn't get the helmet to work on the actress? Seems dumb in-universe she's leaving her head an open target.

EDIT: Oh and neat callback for Clone Wars fans that General Grievous, Count Dooku, and Asajj Ventress got name dropped.

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Sabine rarely wore her helmet. She was not an "orthodox" Mandalorian. All that stuff about true Mandalorians never taking off their helmets was from Mando's show. The Mandalorians we saw on Rebels were of the ruling class, somewhat aristocratic, and didn't wear the helmets. They were the specific people Din Djarin's sect absolutely detested. Sabine was from a powerful royal family. Weird it was Ezra who was the Gary Stu.

Ahsoka "Part Seven: Dreams And Madness"

That was fun! Remember when Star Wars used to be fun? Yeah, it's been awhile.

I don't think this review needs to be super long. I have three things to discuss. Two of them can brief. I'll start off with the longish thing first.

I have always loved Thrawn because he's intelligent. More, he's smart. And he thinks well strategically AND tactically. Rebels was sort of a hot mess, but it got acceptable around the time Thrawn came aboard. The cool thing about Thrawn is the fact that he never loses his cool or his temper, and he takes any obvious losses in stride, and takes all the gains from he can from them, which is great for a fictional villain. I also want to impress upon you how rare it is for a Star Wars villain. I've seen practically everything in the franchise of note, and I wouldn't describe myself a fan, but more of a general viewer. There is SOME stuff I'm a fan of. But truthfully, not much. And part of the reason for that is because I mostly dislike the Lucas-era stuff. It almost always makes me unhappy because both the heroes and the villains are stupid and solve every problem with a chainsaw when a scalpel would do. The only reason a guy as obvious, and as bad an actor as Palpatine got as far as he did is because he was going up against people as dumb as Obi-Wan and Yoda. And the thing that kills me about the Lucas stuff, is that for every stupid thing those characters do, for every completely wrong piece of advice or warning they gave Luke, Lucas still did not have the insight to portray them as anything other than wise. Despite the fact that they both held back Anakin and Luke, and were a huge part of the reason the Empire came into being, because an obvious con artist like Palpatine pulled the wool over their eyes, while almost deliberately rubbing in their faces what he was doing the entire time. Palpatine, even when was Senator, was HARDLY a subtle villain. Lucas thought by giving Palpatine these devious double-entendres, it shows how smart and crafty he is, and how he fooled the wisest organization in the galaxy.

And Lucas has always been a poor writer because it never once occurred to him it proved the opposite. It said Palpatine was Totally Basic, and Obi-Wan and Yoda were idiots. And the reason this is so is simply because Lucas, as gifted as he was in world-building, was crappy in plotting and storytelling. Writing a smart villain who could think tactically and not just kill every underling who displeases him was simply beyond him. It's not because such villains were unheard at the time. Especially considering how late in the pop-culture game The Clone Wars were (relatively speaking). He simply did not have the talent or the patience to write villains that smart. Period. And that's why Thrawn is a breath of fresh air. And it's damn good to see him again.

I mentioned two other observations after this one.

2. Th fact that Ezra Bridger has learned how to use the Force as a fighting weapon in and of itself without a light saber or other weapon present makes Ezra Bridger cool for the first time ever. His entire persona on Rebels was that of a Gary Stu. And all of the suddenly Filoni turns him into the baddest ass Force user we're ever seen by cleverly having him use it in a new way. And I DO love that when a blaster opens up, Ezra DOES grab it. Suggesting he's an effective fighter because he doesn't JUST use the Force's power to his own advantage. He uses anything he can get his hands on to his advantage. Congratulations are due this show for making one of Star Wars' most annoying characters awesome years later. Well played.

3. C-3PO is not necessary for this show to work. But, man, producers USE Anthony Daniels while you have him. You won't always. I wholehearted approve of this pointless cameo that adds nothing. The point is that Daniels is a treasure that no Star Wars fan ever takes for granted. It's good to see him. For as long as we have him.

By the way, when Huyang says he felt bad the last time the trick he and Ahsoka tried pulling failed I was like, "It's very good to get definitive confirmation that Droids actually have feelings." I feel that's been up in the air for too long.

That was fun! Didn't you think that was fun? ****1/2.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Sabine rarely wore her helmet.
Even during the battles in Rebels? Seems really dumb to leave one of the most vulnerable parts of your body exposed. EDIT: No, wait, she lost her helmet in a previous episode didn't she?

Last edited:

reflection01

Sabine, like other characters in Rebels, was kind of a tweener. She was part Mandalorian, part free spirit artist/demolitions expert, all rebel. If I remember correctly, she wore her helmet during her most Mandalorian moments but generally she didn’t wear it. Ezra, Kanan, and Zeb were generally out front in fights. Sabine had a supporting role setting up charges or some tactical stuff. Hera was the getaway driver.

Good to be back posting here. Been too long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
ahskoatitlecard.jpg

Part Eight "The Jedi, The Witch, and The Warlord" - October 3, 2023 (Season Finale)
The heroes race to prevent Grand Admiral Thrawn's escape.

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
A good season finale. Kinda knew Team Ahsoka would get stuck on the planet but nice surprise that Ezra stowed away and later returned to Hera and the New Republic. So at least one thing that concerned Thrawn, Ezra, is in a position to threaten his return to power. Let's hope so. It was a nice full circle of Sabine choosing to stay with Ahsoka and Ahsoka feeling content they did what they were meant to do, and Force Ghost Anakin approving, too.

Dathomir's heading for a big return in the New Republic era. A lot like Mandalore in a way I guess. Seems a foregone conclusion there are more Nightsisters in stasis in all these containers Thrawn had to bring with him. Add a whole bunch of Nightsisters to the mix, that's big trouble for the Republic.

Cruel but fitting twist that for all she did, Morgan just got a sword and had to stay behind to stall Ahsoka's group. But that sword has a whole back story from one episode of Clone Wars, lol. Related to the Nightsister Talzin, who's also Darth Maul's mother, sacrificed a bunch of Force monks' lives to power the sword but Jar Jar Binks ruined the ritual.

I did dig they dipped a bit further into the horror movie angle of the Night Troopers going zombie berserker mode. And thus, Sabine and Ezra figured out they had to start going for the head per zombie rules.

I had a feeling the focus would be on Team Ahsoka trying to stop Thrawn from leaving and we'd barely see any of Baylan and Shin. It makes sense from a practical standpoint of it being the season finale, pacing, tension but it still sucks Baylan and Shin hardly had any screen time. And with the unfortunate passing of Ray Stevenson, it will be a feat to recast Baylan. But they did drop two pretty big clues on what a probable season 2 will entail.

1. How will Ahsoka, Sabine, and Huyang get off the planet and leave the galaxy? Unless more Purgill come along that agree to help, seems like they're stuck. Well. It turns out those symbols on the pillars atop the Nightsisters fortress could be translated. Rotate them 180 degrees and use some Sith language to decipher them and it loosely translates to "Praise Kujet Ruler of all. May his reign last for all time." Kujet was one of three Sages who led a race called the Zeffo. Kujet fell to the Dark Side and chose... Dathomir as his seat of power. Eventually, the Zeffo get too corrupted by the Dark Side and Kujet makes some bad choices that leads to the near collapse of Zeffo. The remaining Zeffo headed to the Unknown Region.

In the canon Fallen Order games, Cal Kestis comes across Kujet's tomb in a Zeffo temple and has to fight undead Nightsters and a fallen Jedi. Then in the temple at the start of Ahsoka, there are some Zeffo artwork on the walls. So the Zeffo symbols on the Nightsister's temple seems to imply some Zeffo made it to this galaxy and tried to settle down. So in theory, if any trace of the Zeffo are left on that planet, the ships they used to cross galaxy to galaxy could be laying around which Ahsoka and co. could utilize.

2. We don't learn what Baylan's after but they drop a huge clue in our faces. Baylan found statues of Father, Daughter, and Son, the Mortis gods seen in Clone Wars. The Zeffo kept themselves busy I guess. But as we saw, the Father statue was pointing at something. But anyway, Baylan sensed something with a lot of power was calling to him and he felt it could change the unending waltz of war and peace, light and dark. So it seems this place is some sort of big connection to the Force. Like Mortis, the cave on Dagobah, World Between Worlds, etc. Obviously, we saw World Between Worlds accessed on the planet Seatos and evidently Ahsoka was saved by that place in Ahsoka and on Rebels. If Baylan wants to use the World to rewrite history... that could be... interesting.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The first South Park movie is 25 years old today.
New profile pic: Zadie from Work It Out Wombats!
The CSC Channels prior to 2017 were actually amazing. A shame it was all thrown under the bus.
Lesson learned. Never talk to anyone ever.

Featured Posts