"Teen Titans Go & DC Super Hero Girls: Mayhem in the Multiverse" Animated Release Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate & Discuss this Movie!

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • ****/12

• ***1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Use this thread to discuss the newest crossover between the DC Super Hero Girls and Teen Titans Go.

mayheminthemultiverse.png

Teen Titans Go & DC Super Hero Girls: Mayhem in the Multiverse
Release dates:
May 24, 2022 (Home-Media release)
May 28, 2022 (Cartoon Network) / June 28 (HBO Max)

Synopsis: With the help of an ancient Kryptonian power, Lex Luthor unites the world’s Super-Villains to capture all of Earth’s Super Heroes, until … only the DC Super Hero Girls are left to stop the Legion of Doom. Our heroes must cross dimensions to rescue their fellow Super Heroes from the Phantom Zone, but a fortuitous wrong turn leads them to Titans Tower – where they find much-needed allies in the Teen Titans. The young Super Heroes discover their combined strength – and usual comic relief – are essential to save the day in this blockbuster event!

The cast of Teen Titans Go! & DC Super Hero Girls: Mayhem in the Multiverse features a Who’s Who of the voice acting community, including Kimberly Brooks (He-Man and the Masters of the Universe) as Bumblebee, Greg Cipes (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles) as Beast Boy, Keith Ferguson (Foster’s Home for Imaginary Friends) as Batman, Will Friedle (Batman Beyond, Kim Possible) as Lex Luthor & Aquaman, Grey Griffin (Scooby-Doo franchise) as Wonder Woman, Young Diana, & Giganta, Phil LaMarr (Samurai Jack) as The Flash, Hawkman, Green Lantern/John Stewart, Scott Menville (Stretch Armstrong & the Flex Fighters) as Robin, Max Mittleman (ThunderCats Roar) as Superman, Jessica McKenna (Star Trek: Lower Decks) as Aqualad, Khary Payton (The Walking Dead) as Cyborg, Alexander Polinsky (Blaze and the Monster Machines, Charles in Charge) as Control Freak, Missi Pyle (Galaxy Quest, Gone Girl) as Cythonna & Speaker of Nations, Tara Strong (Loki, Ben 10, Unikitty!) as Raven & Harley Quinn, Nicole Sullivan (Family Guy, Black-ish) as Supergirl, Cree Summer (Rugrats, Better Things) as Catwoman & Hippolyta, Fred Tatasciore (Family Guy) as Jor El & Solomon Grundy, Myrna Velasco (Star Wars: Resistance) as Green Lantern Jessica Cruz, Kari Wahlgren (Rick and Morty) as Star Sapphire & Zatanna, and Hynden Walch (Groundhog Day) as Starfire.

Teen Titans Go! & DC Super Hero Girls: Mayhem in the Multiverse is directed by Matt Peters (Injustice, Justice League Dark: Apokolips War) and Katie Rice (Animaniacs) from a script by Jase Ricci (Tangled: The Series). Producers are Jeff Curtis and James Ricci. Supervising Producer is James Tucker (The Death and Return of Superman). Executive Producer is Sam Register.

Teen Titans Go! & DC Super Hero Girls: Mayhem in the Multiverse – Special Features
Blu-ray Combo Pack and DVD

From the DC Vault:
Teen Titans Go!: Season 2: Operation Tin Man
Teen Titans Go!: Season 4: Titan Saving Time
DC Super Hero Girls: Season 2: #SmallVictories

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Related links
:
"Teen Titans Go & DC Super Hero Girls: Mayhem in the Multiverse" News & Discussion (Spoilers)
"Teen Titans Go!" Season Seven Talkback (Spoilers)
"Teen Titans Go!" Season Four Talkback (Spoilers)
Teen Titans Go! "Operation: Tin Man" Talkback (Spoilers)
"DC Super Hero Girls" Season Two Talkback (Spoilers)
"DC Super Hero Girls" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)
"Teen Titans Go! vs. Teen Titans" Animated Release Talkback (Spoilers)
"Teen Titans Go! To The Movies" Theatrical Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
So I saw the movie. It's pretty good. It's pretty obvious that this wasn't originally going to have Teen Titans Go since the amount of screentime they have basically amounts to a full episode of that series. Plus, the girls don't meet them until about 50 minutes in. At least their scenes are amusing. Plus, the main stuff involving DC Superhero Girls is handled pretty well from the action to the character moments and the emotion. It's a fun watch.

Last edited:

Corwin Haught

This maybe a nitpick, but the TTG and DCSHG TV series episode bonus features on the Blu-ray/DVD don't have SDH subtitles. These episodes were originally broadcast with closed captions, so it would be a trivial amount of work to transfer them to home media, but WB is working to the letter of the original settlement that mandated SDH on the main feature but not the bonuses.

The movie was great. The TTG segments reminded me of the host segments of an MST3K episode; the team's exchanges with Control Freak have parallels with Dr. Forrester's dialog with Joel and the Bots.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I was glad to discover this was mostly a DCSHG movie and did feel like a wrap up of this iteration of the franchise. Like Lex Luthor making a bid to take over the world, Legion of Doom and Justice League showing up, some arcs concluding like Kara and Clark coming to terms, Diana and Hippolyta, Wonder Woman agreeing to become a JL reserve member, Zatanna embracing her dark side (and Raven even alluding to having the same arc in TTG vs TT), and Harleen choosing Babs over being a villain. A lot of nice little reveals like Stewart was the GL who trained Jessica and the Fortress of Solitude/Jor-El.

Title was a bit misleading, the TT didn't have a big role really (thankfully) and not really much multiverse stuff. Some jokes didn't land for me like the girls not remembering the TTG but the TTG remembering them and poking fun at canon. Cythonna was a bit too "Eclipso" in the movie but her final fate being dumped in the TTG then the Super Friends universe was amusing. A nitpick but I was a little bummed this ended without them graduating high school and the boys were mostly just there to fill up space but only so much you can put into a 70 minute DTV. And they mispelled John Stewart's name in the credits.

Though this definitely isn't a movie to watch if you haven't seen any of the DCSHG series or the 2 TTG crossovers really. You'll be lost in regards to all the callbacks, imo. Plus, this was set up taking place as months after the events of the #NightmareInGotham (so I guess the second half of Babs' junior year).

Last edited:

CyberCubed

What on earth was this, this movie was false advertising. I was expecting some sort of major crossover for most of the movie. Instead I barely saw any of the "crossing" or the "over."

This is the most bizarre movie I've ever seen. They should have just said it was a Superhero Girls movie for the majority of it. The TT Go parts could have just been from random episodes.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
This is the most bizarre movie I've ever seen. They should have just said it was a Superhero Girls movie for the majority of it. The TT Go parts could have just been from random episodes.
Production wise it was revealed it was originally just a Super Hero Girls movie and for whatever reasons (we can all guess and the movie even makes fun of it), the TTG were added on.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
A nitpick but I was a little bummed this ended without them graduating high school
My guess is that, if there was either a second movie or season 2 was the same length as season 1, there might've been a high school graduation.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
My guess is that, if there was either a second movie or season 2 was the same length as season 1, there might've been a high school graduation.
True. A second movie would be alright with me. Maybe deal with other villains still out there like Ra's, Hath-Set, and/or Joker. The first canon got like 5 DTVs after all.

Yeah, I was thinking season 2 would end with junior prom or something if it were 52 episodes then season 3 would deal with graduation. But I guess it wasn't in the cards.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Teen Titans Go! & DC Super Hero Girls: Mayhem In The Multiverse

I did not have any expectations going in. I liked it. I very much suspect I'll be alone in that. Mostly because I believe other fan's expectations will have been both sky-high and unmet.

You bring up a DC Multiverse Crossover Event there are some expectations there from most fans. This is a DC Super Hero Girls movie with some Teen Titans Go! nonsense around the margins. That's going to anger some people. Me? I thought the movie itself was solid.

John Stewart's name was misspelled Jon Stewart in the credits. And he didn't even do any joke news. It was neat Phil Lamarr voiced him.

Harley joining the team very much feels like a final episode thing. So people guessing this movie is the finale of that show are probably right.

I love how the continuity was handled. The Teen Titans had met the DC Super Hero Girls many times on their show, but because this movie is from the DC Super Hero Girl's canon, this is the first time they've met the Titans. That nuance in continuity is interesting to me. Similarly, I believe the Superfriends exist in this level of The Multiverse and this franchise. And yet I believe the Superfriends continuity itself has remained unchanged by these events. That's my guess.

DC promised a more mindblowing movie event than they delivered. Personally? I don't even care about that nonsense. My concern is whether it was a good movie. It was a DAMN good one. The stuff with Kara and Clark was all golden and gives us some sorely needed context for his jerkish behavior earlier in the series.

The show making fun of the Batgrowl will never get old. The Matthew McConaughey Aquaman continues to amuse me as well.

If you wanted more from that, I understand. Me? I'm perfectly happy with what we got. I'd go so far as to call it one of the best projects related to Teen Titans Go!. Maybe not as great as the Teen Titans movie or The Night Begins To Shine. But up there. ****1/2.

Bigawesome2000

I watched the CN premiere today. It was solid, but I just can’t get over the fact that this was just a ratings trap. You can tell that they didn’t have faith in the Super Hero Girls carrying a movie on their own, so they had to add the Teen Titans in. They hyped up the premiere all week with a marathon of Teen Titans Go, only for them to appear for a fraction of the movie. I didn’t read the reviews beforehand, and I expected an actual crossover, but that part of the movie just felt like an afterthought, and I left feeling a little underwhelmed.

That being said, I enjoyed the actual main part of the story. It was a pretty fun time, but I feel like it would have went off better if it was just a Super Hero Girls movie. Through it all, the Teen Titans just felt out of place. The story alone I would give a 4.5/5, but the whole movie itself i’d give a 3.5/5, just because some of it (mostly the Teen Titans parts) felt unnecessary.

KeldeoKitty

Slacker Musketeer
It was a pretty good DC Super Hero Girls movie. But as a Teen Titans Go crossover, the title and the way it was promoted is misleading because the Teen Titans weren’t very plot relevant compared to other crossovers like OK K.O. Crossover Nexus.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Got a chance to go through the movie and note the references. More or less in order:
-At the start the George Foreman Grill seems to be alluded to
-The live action series Titans is alluded to
-It is bemoaned they already did a similar crossover movie which was Teen Titans Go! vs Teen Titans
-Harley and Batgirl found out each other's identities in the DCSHG season 2 2 parter #NightmareInGotham
-Zatanna's struggle with darkness was highlighted in the DCSHG season 2 episode "#HappyBirthdayZee"
-Hawkman and Aqualad are ambushed on a path in Centennial Park where Hal tried to sabotage Carol and Thaal's date in the DCSHG season 1 episode "#ItsComplicated".
-Clark's apartment looks to have framed photos of Smallville
-Zeus is mentioned
-At the 14:36 mark, it is mentioned it was "months" since the events of "#NightmareInGotham"
-The Fortress of Solitude, as it usually does, features the statues of Jor-El and Lara-El, a recording the former appears later in the movie, and Superman's Superman robots.
-It's mentioned the SHG took on Lex before, that was in the DCSHG season 1 2 part "#AllyCat"
-Zatanna is smitten with Aquaman which was established in the DCSHG season 2 episode "#AccordingToGarth"
-Aquaman wanted to name the team the Super Friends, a nod to the classic cartoon that is later paid off in the final moments of the movie
-It is revealed John Stewart trained Jessica Cruz on Oa
--Yeah, he's misspelled "Jon" in subs and end credits
--The DCSHG Oa did appear in TTG's "Space House - Part 4" and DCSHG season 2's "#TheGreenRoom"
-Batgirl recalls how she and Batman saved Gotham, in the DCSHG season 2 2 parter "#AmBatgirl"
-The artifact depicting Diana's exploits bear
--The Hydra which appeared in the DCSHG season 1 episode "#FantasticBeastsAndHowToMindThem"
--The Cretan Bull
--A Pegasus which did appear in the DCSHG season 1 episode "#AwesomeAuntAntiope"
-Batgirl alludes to her dad, Commissioner Gordon
-The Phantom Zone previously came up in the DCSHG season 1 2 parter "#DCSuperHeroBoys" in which the SHG and Da Invincibros took on Zod, Ursa, and Non and sent them back to the Zone by the end.
-Not sure if this can ever be confirmed but the story of the Amulet of Cythonna corrupting people, kinda reminded me of the Hyper-Family. Would be one heck of a coincidence as this past week's Young Justice: Phantoms episode "Zenith and Abyss" featured Trombus where the family resides in the comics.
-Like in the DCSHG series, a sticker on the fridge in the SHG's headquarters is on of the BTAS Batman
-The previous crossovers between the TT and SHG, "Superhero Feud" and the 4 part "Space House" are brought up
--It's pointed out Control Freak was in one of them, the former in "Superhero Feud" but he did actually cameo in part 4 of "Space House"
-The TT's series Teen Titans Go! is alluded to
-As in the series, one of the portraits by the elevator is of Silkie and some stickers in the elevator depict DC characters like Dr. Fate, Dark Knight Rises bane, and Deadman
-In the song, Starfire and Supergirl acknowledge they are from alien planets, Tamaran and Krypton respectively
-As the girls look at Diana's chat on their phones, some names on it are
--Ray Fisher who portrayed Cyborg in the Justice League movie
--J'onn J'onzz or Martian Manhunter who never appeared on DCSHG
-Aquaman refers to Batman as Dracula
-Will Friedle does Aquaman's voice as a nod to Matthew McConaughey and seemingly does an "All right" in GL's jet construct
-Batgirl alludes to what Wonder Woman went through knowing Harley's identity. She knew since the DCSHG Season 2 episode "#TheWarriorAndTheJester" and struggled with keeping it a secret from Batgirl which she later did in "#NightmareInGotham"
-Just before Lex addresses the world, one of the screens has a Zatara ad
-In Burrito Bucket, Mitchell Mayo is seen as one of the employees. It seems he reformed after the events of DCSHG season 2's "#WorkingStiff" - his only appearance where it was revealed he was fired from Burrito Bucket after getting too intense and obsessed and subsequently blacklisted from the fast food industry.
-Zatanna mentions she was busy looking at the fashion month feed. Technically there is none but it's generally accepted to be February as fashion week happens in several countries in different parts of February. Which means it's been 4 months since "#NightmareInGotham" for the SHG.
-Supergirl addresses Hippolyta as "Polly" She did so in the DCSHG season 2 episode "#MotherKnowsBest"
-The Speaker of Nations naturally mentions the United Nations
-Karen's Up Past 8 posters are visible in the headquarters as they devise a plan
-The Hamiltonian density matrix is really from physics
-Zee's insecurities brings up Zee's mom. In flashback, she was shown abandoning Zatara and Zee in "#HappyBirthdayZee"
-Jessica mistakes the TT for her universe's counterparts the Tween Titans and recalls babysitting the latter, she did so with Karen in the DCSHG season 1 "#TweenTitans"
-Robin's baby hands are alluded to
-Batgirl mentions her universe's Robin
-Cyborg refers to Bumblebee as other-Bumblebee, a sort in indirect reference to his universe's Bumblebee who was a member of the TT for a bit
-During the grid of video games, one is a pastiche of Ameythst: Princess of Gemworld with Amethyst and Prince Topaz.
-When Cyborg is pitching the racing stripe for Bumblebee's laptop, he zooms by in a depiction of the DeLorean Time Machine from Back To The Future
-Starfire tells Jessica about how she learned not to eat cats when she first arrived on Earth. This is a callback to Robin teaching her so in the TTG episode "Flashback: Pt 1"
-Raven mentions her dad Trigon
-Raven mentions her own struggles, which was focused on in Teen Titans Go! vs Teen Titans
-The show Battleship Bake Off is a likely hat tip to The Great British Bake Off
-Robin mentions their big adventure was in theaters, an allusion to Teen Titans Go! To The Movies
-Batgirl mentions Joker then asks Batman if he heard about her and Bane, which was in the DCSHG season 2 episode "#AcceptNoSubstitutes"
-Batgirl asks Batman how his first encounter with Bane went and he looks crestfallen, perhaps an allusion to Knightfall from the comics
-Of the locations seen in Kara's mind and the only 2 not in the movie itself are the Lazarus Pit and Kara's bedroom
-Batgirl mentions Robin is going through his Nightwing phase
-Raven expels Cythonna and her crystal prison into the Super Friends universe

Last edited:

Greg91

Reporter
The DC Comics website had an interview about the crossover with an interesting statement at the end.

Since their creation, the Teen Titans have certainly gotten around. Over the past few years alone, we’ve seen them cross over with cast of Space Jam, Freakazoid and even their 2003 animated counterparts. So, what’s the next crossover for them?

“It’s whatever the fans want,” says [Greg] Cipes. “The reason why our show is so special is because it’s truly fan-driven. The fans call out what they want, and we listen and make it happen.”

If they're looking into more crossover movies, I think Justice League Action would be a cool choice considering how Cartoon Network marketed the show with Teen Titans Go! at one point. Plus, it would be a nice return to that show since it just quietly disappeared.

Eldorado

The DC Comics website had an interview about the crossover with an interesting statement at the end.

Since their creation, the Teen Titans have certainly gotten around. Over the past few years alone, we’ve seen them cross over with cast of Space Jam, Freakazoid and even their 2003 animated counterparts. So, what’s the next crossover for them?

“It’s whatever the fans want,” says [Greg] Cipes. “The reason why our show is so special is because it’s truly fan-driven. The fans call out what they want, and we listen and make it happen.”

If they're looking into more crossover movies, I think Justice League Action would be a cool choice considering how Cartoon Network marketed the show with Teen Titans Go! at one point. Plus, it would be a nice return to that show since it just quietly disappeared.
I'd like for them to make a Crossover Nexus 2. Control Freak resurrects Strike to finally get rid of the Titans once and for all but with the other shows (OK KO, Steven Universe, and Ben 10) canceled Raven summons up new Cartoon Network "heroes" to replace them. But, (as a reference to how the current CN shows aren't that action-packed or exciting anymore) all she can summon is Gumball, Craig, and the Baby Bears, who are all weak compared to the previous team but they still manage to beat Strike again somehow.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Wow this really makes Cartoon Network's mangling of advertising this special look even WORSE in retrospect. This is... 85% just straight DC Super Hero Girls with only 4 scenes even involving the Titans, only two of which are even important to the story. I admit I do appreciate them meta commenting on how it does feel despite DC Super hero girls caring about continuity and storylines they have sour ratings and are glomping onto TTG's success and the Titans pointing out how crossovers usually go so I guess not doing that and just having bits of the team interacting makes more sense. I admit though the reason people usually love those crossover tropes is because well they are fun and are what people tune in to see from them and honestly I would of just loved to see the TTG in the DC Super Hero Girls world and others interact to them but eh still amusing bits all the same.

You can tell this was obviously made though as sort of a send off for this series trying to give all of the team some sort of emotional arc and resolution. Jessica Cruz got the worst since hers was only "oh you're the weaker pacifist green lantern" with only like one little told ya so moment at the end but I think it worked well with the others. Some bits were rushed like the others just being on Themysacura and Superman never even apologizing for his stupid belief that Cythonna wasn't real but I do like Karen/Bumblebee's speech and Harley and Babs now being more on the same side. And kudos that in the TT/TTG special you had TT Raven encouraging TTG Raven about her dark powers and now passing that onto Zatanna (kind of wished the special acknowledged that connection but eh still implied well enough) as that felt like a way to tie everything together. I mean this wasn't anything that grand and honestly even the Zod two parter felt like it had better action and dangerous threat but still decent. I'm guessing this will be the last of DC Super Hero Girls airing on CN though as the other half of that second season that was made will probably run on HBO Max before the show finishes up for good. It is sad how TTG has conditioned CN to throw away other DC shows even ones associated with it but it at least it ended on a decent bit.

Eldorado

The problem is that not as many people watched it as TTG. I'm not saying Cartoon Network isn't following Nick's SpongeBob rules now but to be fair the original generation of DCSHG was mostly merchandise driven and the first set of dolls for the new generation flopped hard.

So it's probably not really CN's decision but rather WB's since they're the ones producing the show and CN's airing it, and since there wasn't any merchandise success from G2, then they figured they may as well cancel the project entirely.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Almost forgot to listen to this before the day was up.
Viper wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
Happy 4th of July, Light Lucario. I really hope you get to enjoy the fireworks tonight. Have a wonderful evening.
BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.

Featured Posts