The CW4Kids Talkback: Dinosaur King [December 2008] (Spoilers)

D Dubbs

Wish Upon A Star
cw4kids.jpg
dinosaurking.jpg

It's prehistory in the making.

Meet the D-Team:

maxac9.png

Max is a 12 year-old dinosaur fan and the leader of the D-Team, a group of friends devoted to learning all there is about dinosaurs. He is the son of Dr. Spike Taylor, a Paleontologist. May is a typical 12 year-old boy with lots of energy and curiousity which can sometimes get him into trouble. Max's dinosaur partner is "Chomp" the Triceratops.

rexhy1.png

Rex is 12 years-old, a member of the D-Team and Max's best friend. His dad is a Paleontologist and a friend of Dr. Taylor's. Rex is living with Max while his dad is out in the field studying fossils. He is a bit more level-headed than Max, but can sometimes be short on patience. Rex is great with computers and extremely knowledgeable about dinosaurs. He is the brainy one of the D-Team. Rex's dinosaur partner is "Ace" the Carnotaurus.

zoedrakesq5.png

Zoe is a 12 year-old friend of Max's and a member of the D-Team. She is very fashion conscious and can be a little boy-crazy. Zoe is always calm in a crisis and not easily flustered. When there's a problem it's usually Zoe who comes up with the solution. Her older sister, Reese Drake, works at the Dino-Lab with Dr. Taylor. Zoe's dinosaur partner is "Paris" the Parasaurolophus.

spikeye1.png

Dr. Taylor is a world-renowned Paleontologist who loves his work out in the field and is a fanatic about dinosaurs. Dr. Taylor is the head of the Dino-Lab and is currently helping out the D-Team by investigating the mystery of the stones and dinosaur cards being found around the world. Nothing can make Dr. Taylor go a little nutty like talking about dinosaurs, so when he sees an actual real-life dinosaur... watch out!

Meet the Alpha Gang:

drzut0.png

Dr. Z is the leader of the Alpha Gang, an evil gang of villains dedicated to capturing dinosaurs. They hope to make lots of money one day off of organized dinosaur battles. He is a zany, evil egotistical guy whose goal is to become "Dinosaur King" by collecting all of the dinosaur cards hidden around the world. He uses his team of three bumbling villains to go out and find cards for him while he stays in the lab on Zeta Point, researching and experimenting with the cards he has already obtained.

ursulayl5.png

Ursula is one the members of the Alpha Gang. She is very conceited, act likes a queen and bosses around her cohorts, Ed and Zander who she thinks of as her underlings. Even though most of their ventures fail, Ursula is never convinced its her fault; it's only because her looser sidekicks bring her down.

zanderzk7.png

Zander is a member of the Alpha Gang. He tries to act like he's smart and sophisticated when in reality he's akward, nervous and afraid most of the time. Zander is usually the one who comes up with the plan...however, his plan generally fails.

edtc2.png

Ed is a member of the Alpha Gang. He is fairly quiet because whenever he does choose to speak, he gets yelled at by Ursula. He is a big coward at heart, and never wants to upset anyone, so he will follow his fellow teammates to the end of the world, no matter how scary the situation.

rodoy0.png

Rod is Dr. Z's 12 year-old grandson. He is smart beyond his years, especially when it comes to working on inventions with Dr. Z.

lauratr2.png

Laura is Dr. Z's 6 year-old granddaughter and Rod's little sister. She is a little genuis with numbers and makes money playing the stock market to help fund the Alpha Gang activities.

sethta8.png

Seth is the only intelligent member of the Alpha Gang; however, he doesn't like to associate himself with Ursula, Zander and Ed. He gets annoyed with the other three members and is the only real threat to the D-Team.

Saturday, December 6th: Episode 39
English Title: "Beast or Famine"
Japanese Title: "Dinosaur Hotel"

Episode Description: In a rare moment of peace, the D-Team head to Chinatown to check out a celebrated touring chef. But sure enough, before they have even had a chance to order, their plans are cut short by a Mapusaurus appearance. Rod and Laura, under the watchful eyes of Helga, show up soon thereafter and join in the chase. As Helga and the touring chef begin a heated cooking competition, Max and Chomp begin a desperate battle to defeat the Mapusaurus in time to catch the meal they’d been looking forward to.

PC!

lolwut?
Uh, what's up with the Alpha Gang being shoved into the background and Rod and Laura taking center stage so much? Are they building up to something?

Ian

¡Mierda santa! ¡Ninjas!
'pparently so. Things are definitively coming to a head. I like it.

Was I the only one who initially thought that "Chinatown" was simply a way for the translators to cover up "Japan" (it's not)? The idea of Tokyo having a Chinatown is one of those things that make me go "!". It reminded me a bit of how Arrested Development had a Wee Britain inside Orange County, complete with its own single "American-styled" restaurant.

"I challenge you to a duel!" Oh, Dan Green.

This was my favorite episode in a good while, with equal parts funny, good character bits, and fantastic use of the entire cast.

I love Reese's occasional little remarks to herself, so I really liked her "Shouldn't I be helping? Oh, screw that; I'm eating tapioca" moment.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I thought that this was a pretty good episode. I also was surprised to hear that they were eating in China Town since I didn't think there was a China Town in Japan. Still, I just went with it. I was surprised to see that the old man could get around doing so many different things in this series. I was surprised that the dinosaur came out so early too, as well as a battle. Too bad that they were all still hungry. I did get a kick out of the Alpha Gang being reduced to reading and feeding Dr. Z like that. I know that Seth has been using Rod and Laura to get the dinosaurs lately, but I still think that he has something else in mind, considering that he didn't even tell them about the dinosaur until they saw the screen. I did like how Helga found out from Dr. Z that he wasn't sending the kids on these missions all along.

I also liked how Reese was just enjoying herself while the dinosaur was running around in the background. Poor Max was really hungry and wanted that special food. It was nice to see that Rod and Laura were distracted for awhile since they have beaten the D-Team twice now. One of my favorite parts of the episode was when Johnny Chief said: "I challenge you to a duel!" to Helga. Man, I'm sure Dan Green loved saying that again. I know I loved hearing it. Too bad that he lost the contest, but Helga is a robot so that's probably why her dish was so good.

Max was especially angry in this episode after hearing that they had that special meal. At least that gave him the strength to defeat them both and the new dinosaur. I was glad that they got the new dinosaur card. It was interesting to see the D-Team lose for a change, but I think three times in a row would have been too much at this point. Too bad that Max still didn't get his special meal after all of that. I was also surprised that Helga stood up to Seth, but then he pretty much stabbed her in the back. That was a neat little twist. That definitely proved that Seth has something else in mind, or at least to me it does. He also didn't tell Rod and Laura the truth either. The ending was especially good since it left me thinking that we haven't seen the last of Helga either.

Overall, it was a fun episode. I liked how the battle was handled, as well as the cooking duel with Johnny Chief and Helga. The ending was also pretty good with Seth's plan being more mysterious and the chance of Helga not being off-line for good. I'm definitely looking foreword to next week's episode.

TheFZAtUGSOnline

Then. Now. Forever.
I'll give this episode a 5 out of 5 for the food... mmmmm....
But we may need to wait for 4kids to finish dubbing the rest, so reruns starting this saturday... ouch!

D Dubbs

Wish Upon A Star
I'll give this episode a 5 out of 5 for the food... mmmmm....
But we may need to wait for 4kids to finish dubbing the rest, so reruns starting this saturday... ouch!

We've still got one more new episode before the holiday break, actually.

cw4kids.jpg
dinosaurking.jpg

It's prehistory in the making.

Saturday, December 13th: Episode 40
English Title: "A Mesozoic Mess"
Japanese Title: "Love and Corrida with Barcelona"

Episode Description: Max’s mother is only days into a trip to Barcelona when Max learns that an Allosaurus has appeared in the city. The D-Team heads to Spain to catch the dinosaur and save Max’s mother. They arrive just in time to find Max’s mother cornered by the dinosaur in a city marketplace. Max rescues his mother but finds it difficult to corner the speedy dinosaur in the twisting streets of the city. Finally, the team wraps Ace in a red cloak and draw it into a historic bullfight ring, where they will attempt to capture it matador style.

Silverstar

Kooky Spooky
Looks like Team Alpha's starting to miss their robotic housekeeper. Only Seth knows the truth about Helga's whereabouts, and he's not telling anybody.

Man, is Dr. Z a slow healer or what? He's been laid up for the last 3 or 4 episodes.

Glad to see the D-Team come out on top this week; Rod and Laura were 2 up on them. And we all know what paybacks are.

An episode with a lot of screentime for Aki =win for me. I think (or at least hope) that she may finally be starting to put the pieces of the puzzle together; after all, you can't have your son show up on your vacation when he's supposed to be back in a completely different country, have an allosaurus roar right in your face and wake up with a letter you've never seen before and not suspect something is up...

Dr. Taylor wrote Aki a love note. Awww. Oh yeah, and the house is a mess.

Mmm, now I'm getting cravings for ham.

Last edited by a moderator:

Light Lucario

Staff member
This was a cute episode. I liked how Aki had more screentime in this episode too. I actually felt bad for the Alpha Gang having to do all of Helga's housework and dealing with Dr. Z. The poor guys just can't seem to catch a break. And Seth still won't tell Rod and Laura what happened with Helga. Yeah, he's definitely up to something.

It was funny to see how Max's house was totally trashed without Aki there to clean up. I thought that it was sweet how Spike wrote Aki a love letter. Man, I couldn't believe that they were sight seeing at a time like that. I was surprised that people got so upset at Max and his friends for destroying the city's landmark. For starters, they were trying to stop it from happening and they've destroyed a lot of other historcial landmarks and never got anyone mad before.

I was surprised that Aki took that long to notice the Allosaurus right behind her. At least the D-Team came up with a good idea to capture the dinosaur. I had a feeling that the Alpha Gang would mess up Rod and Laura's plan when they tagged along. I have to say I was happy for that since they both used deception and trickery to get two dinosaurs over the D-Team. I did like how Rex used Ace to trap the Allosaurus since it feels like it's been awhile since he's been used in a battle. I liked how Ace was able to eat the ham after they got the new card.

I was hoping that this whole event would lead to Aki finally seeing the truth about how Max and his friends have been capturing all of these dinosaurs. They've told so many other people anyway, but I know that it is a gag for the show. Hopefully this will lead her to at least question things more. I have to admit that hearing her read Spike's love letter to her was really sweet and funny at the same time.

Overall, it was a fun episode to have before the holiday break of repeats came along. I'll be happy when new episodes start up again.

DinoQueen13

Life is Now or Never
Looks like Team Alpha's starting to miss their robotic housekeeper. Only Seth knows the truth about Helga's whereabouts, and he's not telling anybody.

Man, is Dr. Z a slow healer or what? He's been laid up for the last 3 or 4 episodes.

Glad to see the D-Team come out on top this week; Rod and Laura were 2 up on them. And we all know what paybacks are.

An episode with a lot of screentime for Aki =win for me. I think (or at least hope) that she may finally be starting to put the pieces of the puzzle together; after all, you can't have your son show up on your vacation when he's supposed to be back in a completely different country, have an allosaurus roar right in your face and wake up with a letter you've never seen before and not suspect something is up...

Dr. Taylor wrote Aki a love note. Awww. Oh yeah, and the house is a mess.

Mmm, now I'm getting cravings for ham.
Again, Dr. Z's an old, old man. Well, serves him right, he should be in bed.

And never mind that your son also goes "Mom! Mom" in your face after an Allosaurus roars in your face.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

So, lemme get this straight. VA's have gone on strike protesting AI replicating their voices, and SAG-AFTRA signs a partnership deal with Narrativ? Apparently this is the second time SAG-AFTRA has done something like this.
Toonsylvania is a hidden gem from the late 90s, A real shame that the show hasn't been recognized since the early 2000s.
25 years ago today! Fox Kids introduced the United States to Digimon , the anime. Happy American 25th anniversary to it!

Featured Posts