The CW4Kids Talkback: Dinosaur King [November 2008] (Spoilers)

Rolling Cloud

...too early....
cw4kids.jpg
dinosaurking.jpg

It's prehistory in the making.
Meet the D-Team:
maxac9.png

Max is a 12 year-old dinosaur fan and the leader of the D-Team, a group of friends devoted to learning all there is about dinosaurs. He is the son of Dr. Spike Taylor, a Paleontologist. May is a typical 12 year-old boy with lots of energy and curiousity which can sometimes get him into trouble. Max's dinosaur partner is "Chomp" the Triceratops.
rexhy1.png

Rex is 12 years-old, a member of the D-Team and Max's best friend. His dad is a Paleontologist and a friend of Dr. Taylor's. Rex is living with Max while his dad is out in the field studying fossils. He is a bit more level-headed than Max, but can sometimes be short on patience. Rex is great with computers and extremely knowledgeable about dinosaurs. He is the brainy one of the D-Team. Rex's dinosaur partner is "Ace" the Carnotaurus.
zoedrakesq5.png

Zoe is a 12 year-old friend of Max's and a member of the D-Team. She is very fashion conscious and can be a little boy-crazy. Zoe is always calm in a crisis and not easily flustered. When there's a problem it's usually Zoe who comes up with the solution. Her older sister, Reese Drake, works at the Dino-Lab with Dr. Taylor. Zoe's dinosaur partner is "Paris" the Parasaurolophus.
spikeye1.png

Dr. Taylor is a world-renowned Paleontologist who loves his work out in the field and is a fanatic about dinosaurs. Dr. Taylor is the head of the Dino-Lab and is currently helping out the D-Team by investigating the mystery of the stones and dinosaur cards being found around the world. Nothing can make Dr. Taylor go a little nutty like talking about dinosaurs, so when he sees an actual real-life dinosaur... watch out!

Meet the Alpha Gang:
drzut0.png

Dr. Z is the leader of the Alpha Gang, an evil gang of villians dedicated to capturing dinosaurs. They hope to make lots of money one day off of organized dinosaur battles. He is a zany, evil egotistical guy whose goal is to become "Dinosaur King" by collecting all of the dinosaur cards hidden around the world. He uses his team of three bumbling villians to go out and find cards for him while he stays in the lab on Zeta Point, researching and experimenting with the cards he has already obtained.
ursulayl5.png

Ursula is one the members of the Alpha Gang. She is very conceited, act likes a queen and bosses around her cohorts, Ed and Zander who she thinks of as her underlings. Even though most of their ventures fail, Ursula is never convinced its her fault; it's only because her looser sidekicks bring her down.
zanderzk7.png

Zander is a member of the Alpha Gang. He tries to act like he's smart and sophisticated when in reality he's akward, nervous and afraid most of the time. Zander is usually the one who comes up with the plan...however, his plan generally fails.
edtc2.png

Ed is a member of the Alpha Gang. He is fairly quiet because whenever he does choose to speak, he gets yelled at by Ursula. He is a big coward at heart, and never wants to upset anyone, so he will follow his fellow teammates to the end of the world, no matter how scary the situation.
rodoy0.png

Rod is Dr. Z's 12 year-old grandson. He is smart beyond his years, especially when it comes to working on inventions with Dr. Z.
lauratr2.png

Laura is Dr. Z's 6 year-old granddaughter and Rod's little sister. She is a little genuis with numbers and makes money playing the stock market to help fund the Alpha Gang activities.
sethta8.png

Seth is the only intelligent member of the Alpha Gang; however, he doesn't like to associate himself with Ursula, Zander and Ed. He gets annoyed with the other three members and is the only real threat to the D-Team.

Saturday, November 1st: Episode 30
English Title: "Ninja Nightmare"
Japanese Title: "Ninja dinosaur, Deinonychus!"
Episode Description: Some ninjas gets in the way of the new dino card.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Now this was a funny episode to start off the month. A ninja village was kind of random, but it worked. I was honestly glad that I didn't see any ninjas dressed in an orange color. Though that would have been kind of funny too. Anyway, I thought that it was so weird how the D-Team didn't recognize the old man from before. Maybe it was the ninja costume or something. It was really random that there was a place for people and their pets to take the ninja training test, but that's what helped the episode to be funny. I laughed so much when Rex said that Zoey was beautiful and didn't realized he said that out loud. I was hoping that Rex and Ace would win and they were really close, but Max and Chomp won out in the end. At least it was funny how Max made all the comments about he's an expert ninja for the rest of the episode.

So Dr. Z had more baby dinosaurs, named them Dino, Dano and Sue and trained them through apparently tough love to be ninjas. The fact that he named one of the dinosaurs Sue and trained them all to be ninjas was so weird, yet so funny at the same time. Dr. Z apparently didn't know the difference between tough love and being abusive yet again.

My favorite part of the episode was when the D-Team and the Alpha Gang were getting separated because of the dinosaurs and the traps in that house. It reminded me of a fun house, except being more for ninja training. Those new dinosaurs did kind of moved like ninjas, which was pretty cool. The battle between the new dinosaur and Terry went kind of quick, but it was three against one. At least they were also able to give Dr. Z a piece of their minds. Despite how he did act abusive to his dinosaurs, I still find him the funniest person in the Alpha Gang, especially when he was questioning where he went wrong. I almost felt kind of bad for him during that moment. At least the D-Team got the new dinosaur card. The ending was really funny too with Dr. Taylor still being lost in the fun house and pulling that rope only to have a huge pan hit his head.

Overall, it was a funny episode. A lot of the rumor came from how weird and random some of the things were, but it still worked out in the end. I hope that next week's episode is just as enjoyable as this one was.

DinoQueen13

Life is Now or Never
That "rock" that fell on Rex, that was an edited turd, wasn't it?
I don't know, but again they were climbing a mountain and Ace jumped ahead of Rex. Even if it was turd, it would be logical for a rock to fall onto Rex's poor head.

Dino, Dano and Sue were cute. I also liked the Alpha Trio (Ursula, Zander, Ed)'s reaction to "Sue".

D Dubbs

Wish Upon A Star
That "rock" that fell on Rex, that was an edited turd, wasn't it?

Yeah, they kinda have a running gag in the Japanese version that Ace can't control when he poops. Though, luckily it's only appeared two times in the show so far (in this episode, and in episode three).

cw4kids.jpg
dinosaurking.jpg

Saturday, November 8th: Episode 35

English Title: "Ruff and Ready"
Japanese Title: "Ayers Rock with Iguanodon"

Episode Description: Decrying them as useless lapdogs, Dr. Z literally sends Ursula and her team to the doghouse. As they begin to get comfortable in their cramped canine quarters, they realize even this is too good to be true. The doghouses blast off to Australia where Z anticipates a new dinosaur appearance. When an Iguanodon actually does appear near Ayer’s Rock, the D-Team race to intercept it, but find Ursula has beaten them to it. In an uncharacteristic display of compassion, Ursula, humbled by Z’s subhuman treatment prepares to release the Iguanodon into the wild, but little does she know Seth is hot on her heels and determined not to let this dinosaur escape him.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I was pretty surprised with this episode. It actually made me feel bad for the Alpha Gang, mainly Ursula. Sure, they have messed up on getting a lot of the dinosaurs, but treating them like dogs was kind of mean of Dr. Z. At least the Iguanodon was surprisingly friendly with them. It seemed to really like Ursula too. It was cute to see more of Max's mom and remembering holding him as a baby. Though that reminded Rex of how he didn't have a mom like that. I'm still hoping that they'll touch up on Rex's past again at some point. Anyway, I did like hearing Dr. Taylor's information about Australia, but too bad that the D-Team left before he was done. At least Dr. Z was feeling a little bit sad for what he said to the Alpha Gang, kind of anyway.

I was surprised to see that the villagers were treating Ursula so well because of the Iguanodon. She definitely seemed to like it. I also really liked hearing about how she didn't see dinosaurs as loving creatures before now. She was really attched to the Iguanodon. Seth was being hard on them too, but he didn't want to fail in their mission. I almost wanted Usrula to stay in the village too, for her happy ending, but I knew that wasn't going to happen anyway. The battle was intense, especially with how Ursula was nearly crying for what happened to the Iguanodon. I was honestly touched with how she let the D-Team get the card so that the Iguanodon would be happier with them than with Dr. Z. Seth's smile as he grabbed that other dinosaur card was kind of creepy, but in a cool way. Too bad that the Alpha Gang is still in the dog house after all that.

Overall, it was a fun episode. There were some definitely some nice character development moments for Ursula and this episode did make me feel sympathic for her, something that usually doesn't happen that often with me. Hopefully, I'll like the next episode too next week.

DinoQueen13

Life is Now or Never
Yeah, this episode was pretty enjoyable. I felt kinda bad for Ursula and Iguanodon because just as they were having fun, Seth comes up and drives poor Iguano mad. I think this is the only episode that I have been mad at Seth (except for episode 13 when he doesn't take any action against the D-Team but sends the dumb Alpha Droids after them).

Baby Naruto

Hey um question, I know that the first DVD with episodes 1-5 is out, so I was just wondering if there were any plans at all to release the entire english dub to DVD, or will it be just random out-of-order episodes?

Light Lucario

Staff member
Hey um question, I know that the first DVD with episodes 1-5 is out, so I was just wondering if there were any plans at all to release the entire english dub to DVD, or will it be just random out-of-order episodes?

I haven't heard of any other new DVD releases for Dinosaur King, but I'm sure that they'll try to release the whole series when the time comes. They're not even done with the series yet, as far as I know, so I don't think the whole series will be available on DVD for awhile. I doubt that they would put the episodes out of order since I don't think that they did that with any of their other series.

Baby Naruto

I haven't heard of any other new DVD releases for Dinosaur King, but I'm sure that they'll try to release the whole series when the time comes. They're not even done with the series yet, as far as I know, so I don't think the whole series will be available on DVD for awhile. I doubt that they would put the episodes out of order since I don't think that they did that with any of their other series.

Hmm, that's odd, because according to the wiki episode list english airdate listing, it ended in America last month.

Source: List of Dinosaur King episodes (Wikipedia)

Although, wikipedia could be wrong since a friend of mine said that episode 31 aired last Saturday.

D Dubbs

Wish Upon A Star
Hmm, that's odd, because according to the wiki episode list english airdate listing, it ended in America last month.

Although, wikipedia could be wrong since a friend of mine said that episode 31 aired last Saturday.

You're right and wrong at the same time. ;)

They've aired the entire first series in other English-speaking countries, but not in the United States. In other nations, the show is commonly broadcast on weekdays, so they went through the episodes pretty fast, but in the U.S., the show only airs once per week. We're currently between episode 35 and 36 in the U.S. right now.

Baby Naruto

You're right and wrong at the same time. ;)

They've aired the entire first series in other English-speaking countries, but not in the United States. In other nations, the show is commonly broadcast on weekdays, so they went through the episodes pretty fast, but in the U.S., the show only airs once per week. We're currently between episode 35 and 36 in the U.S. right now.

Oh ok lol. Still though, Season One/Series One is only 49 episodes, so there are only 14 episodes left.

Which means that in.....14/4=3.666.....3-4 months the last episode of Season One/Series One will air.

That's if every weekend from now airs 1 NEW episode though.

And since the first DVD came out in August or September, it has been a long while.

D Dubbs

Wish Upon A Star
Yeah, I'm not sure what's up with the DVD release schedule either. Often 4Kids will release one or two singles as 'tests' to see if the DVDs will sell, and then determine if they will keep releasing them based on how well those first DVDs perform. So, I guess we just have to wait and see about future DVDs.

Baby Naruto

Yeah, I'm not sure what's up with the DVD release schedule either. Often 4Kids will release one or two singles as 'tests' to see if the DVDs will sell, and then determine if they will keep releasing them based on how well those first DVDs perform. So, I guess we just have to wait and see about future DVDs.

Sigh, I guess so :(.

The only reason why I care so much about the DVDs is because I'm behind on watching Dinosaur King (I have only seen episodes 1-6), and I would prefer watching it on DVD or TV instead of online at their website, but unfortunately, they dont re-run Dinosaur King on TV (where I live) that often anymore.

Light Lucario

Staff member

D Dubbs already clarified this, but just so you know, Wikipedia is not a reliable source to use. Sometime it is right, but it can be wrong just as many times, if not more, since people can provide false information.

babynaruto1 said:
Sigh, I guess so :(.

The only reason why I care so much about the DVDs is because I'm behind on watching Dinosaur King (I have only seen episodes 1-6), and I would prefer watching it on DVD or TV instead of online at their website, but unfortunately, they dont re-run Dinosaur King on TV (where I live) that often anymore.

I'm sorry to hear that they don't rerun Dinosaur King where you live. 4Kids can take awhile to release their DVDs, especially with new series like Dinosaur King. I totally understand how you would rather watch the series on DVD or on TV, but the website is a nice and legal way to watch the episodes too. Still, I understand why you'd prefer the other methods of watching the series.

Baby Naruto

D Dubbs already clarified this, but just so you know, Wikipedia is not a reliable source to use. Sometime it is right, but it can be wrong just as many times, if not more, since people can provide false information.

I'm sorry to hear that they don't rerun Dinosaur King where you live. 4Kids can take awhile to release their DVDs, especially with new series like Dinosaur King. I totally understand how you would rather watch the series on DVD or on TV, but the website is a nice and legal way to watch the episodes too. Still, I understand why you'd prefer the other methods of watching the series.

My main reason for not watching anime online at all is because most web players have serious "issues", like they freeze, stutter, and even cause my web browser to crash.

Not to mention the fact that the visual and audio quality sucks GREATLY compared to the TV & DVD versions.

SIGH, if only I had given Dinosaur King a try when it first came out on TV :(.

But as everyone knows by now, you can't turn back the clock.

Well, I mean you could, but you wouldn't actually be going back in time hehe lol.

Golfkid

I noticed when watching the episode "Ninja Nightmare" on the 4Kidstv.com website, that when Max sees the sign for the Ninja Villiage, there's nothing on the sign! (Sorry, no picture) So, yeah, um what's up with that? It wasn't that way when it aired on TV?!

D Dubbs

Wish Upon A Star
I noticed when watching the episode "Ninja Nightmare" on the 4Kidstv.com website, that when Max sees the sign for the Ninja Villiage, there's nothing on the sign! (Sorry, no picture) So, yeah, um what's up with that? It wasn't that way when it aired on TV?!

This has happened with every HD episode of Dinosaur King on the player so far. I believe the HD version is the original 'clean' version, so 4Kids doesn't add on the English text until they're putting together the cropped version.

D Dubbs

Wish Upon A Star
cw4kids.jpg
dinosaurking.jpg

Saturday, November 15th: Episode 36

English Title: "Metal Imbalance"
Japanese Title: "Seize Actyl Metal!"

Episode Description: Ursula and her team head to an abandoned iron mill in Japan to collect Alpha Metal for reconstructing their island base. As fate would have it, the D-Team are also touring the same area on a school field trip. To further complicate the situation, a Velociraptor specially enhanced by Dr. Z appears and begins wreaking havoc in the area. Max and Chomp face off against it, but the enhanced dinosaur is too much for Chomp. Seth makes off with the Alpha Metal as the D-Team struggles to fend off the Alpha Gang and their dinosaurs.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I thought that this was an interesting and fun episode. I could tell that the first scene was a dream pretty quickly. It did give some thought as to what exactly the dinosaurs are asking the D-Team for. Man, I know Michelle was the leader of the field trip in another episode, but it just struck me here how she looked ridiculously young to be a teacher. Maybe its the clothes or her hair, but she looked like a teenager. Anyway, I wonder if the dinosaurs want to not die out instead of being saved from the Alpha Gang. I always thought that they just didn't want to be misused by them.

The Alpha Metal part was pretty interesting to hear about again. I felt bad for the Alpha Gang after going through all of that hard work and still they got a yelling from Dr. Z. That does make the situation funnier though. Anyway, it was interesting how the Alpha Gang came to the field trip that the D-Team was at. I also liked how we saw more of Seth in this episode. I thought that he was trying to make a dinosaur card hold more than one element when I saw the three different light. I wasn't expecting it to become a triangle shaped card though.

I thought that Max just grabbing the ball of Alpha Metal was a bit dangerous to do when he had no idea what it was for, but I just went with it. I did like the confrontation between Michelle and Ursula though. The battle became really good when Seth came and used the new Velociraptor card on Chomp. That totally overpowered him. I was surprised that the Alpha Gang actually got Chomp's card like that. I was thinking that we would have another two part episode here, but that wasn't the case.

Even though Seth was trying to justify his actions of mantipulating dinosaurs, he did seem much more intelligent and competent than the rest of the Alpha Gang. I was also surprised that he gave his word to give back Chomp's card and release Max's friends if he dropped the ball and he actually kept it. Of course, he knew that would purify the Alpha Metal. It was nice of him to warn the kids about the explosion too. Dang, the iron mill was totally wasted with that explosion. Now they have purifed Alpha Metal and the D-Team has something else to think about regarding the Alpha Gang.

Overall, it was an interesting episode. I'm not sure if they'll be able to get Seth's Velociraptor card since it seems too powerful and it might be his own dinosaur card, but I wouldn't mind seeing Seth have more parts in battling. That would be kind of cool. I'll be looking foreword to next week's episode to see what happens.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

So, lemme get this straight. VA's have gone on strike protesting AI replicating their voices, and SAG-AFTRA signs a partnership deal with Narrativ? Apparently this is the second time SAG-AFTRA has done something like this.
Toonsylvania is a hidden gem from the late 90s, A real shame that the show hasn't been recognized since the early 2000s.
25 years ago today! Fox Kids introduced the United States to Digimon , the anime. Happy American 25th anniversary to it!
I think The Cramp Twins, the TV series, is set in the Southeastern USA. Not just because of the swamp, they also drink root beer floats too (not at A&W but at Western-themed places).

The irony is that us Europeans don't like root beer and root beer floats

Featured Posts