The CW4Kids Talkback: Dinosaur King [September 2008] (Spoilers)

D Dubbs

Wish Upon A Star
cw4kids.jpg
dinosaurking.jpg

It's prehistory in the making.

Meet the D-Team:

maxac9.png

Max is a 12 year-old dinosaur fan and the leader of the D-Team, a group of friends devoted to learning all there is about dinosaurs. He is the son of Dr. Spike Taylor, a Paleontologist. May is a typical 12 year-old boy with lots of energy and curiousity which can sometimes get him into trouble.
Max's dinosaur partner is "Chomp" the Triceratops.

rexhy1.png

Rex is 12 years-old, a member of the D-Team and Max's best friend. His dad is a Paleontologist and a friend of Dr. Taylor's. Rex is living with Max while his dad is out in the field studying fossils. He is a bit more level-headed than Max, but can sometimes be short on patience. Rex is great with computers and extremely knowledgeable about dinosaurs. He is the brainy one of the D-Team. Rex's dinosaur partner is "Ace" the Carnotaurus.

zoedrakesq5.png

Zoe is a 12 year-old friend of Max's and a member of the D-Team. She is very fashion conscious and can be a little boy-crazy. Zoe is always calm in a crisis and not easily flustered. When there's a problem it's usually Zoe who comes up with the solution. Her older sister, Reese Drake, works at the Dino-Lab with Dr. Taylor. Zoe's dinosaur partner is "Paris" the Parasaurolophus.

spikeye1.png

Dr. Taylor is a world-renowned Paleontologist who loves his work out in the field and is a fanatic about dinosaurs. Dr. Taylor is the head of the Dino-Lab and is currently helping out the D-Team by investigating the mystery of the stones and dinosaur cards being found around the world. Nothing can make Dr. Taylor go a little nutty like talking about dinosaurs, so when he sees an actual real-life dinosaur... watch out!

Meet the Alpha Gang:

drzut0.png

Dr. Z is the leader of the Alpha Gang, an evil gang of villians dedicated to capturing dinosaurs. They hope to make lots of money one day off of organized dinosaur battles. He is a zany, evil egotistical guy whose goal is to become "Dinosaur King" by collecting all of the dinosaur cards hidden around the world. He uses his team of three bumbling villians to go out and find cards for him while he stays in the lab on Zeta Point, researching and experimenting with the cards he has already obtained.

ursulayl5.png

Ursula is one the members of the Alpha Gang. She is very conceited, act likes a queen and bosses around her cohorts, Ed and Zander who she thinks of as her underlings. Even though most of their ventures fail, Ursula is never convinced its her fault; it's only because her looser sidekicks bring her down.

zanderzk7.png

Zander is a member of the Alpha Gang. He tries to act like he's smart and sophisticated when in reality he's akward, nervous and afraid most of the time. Zander is usually the one who comes up with the plan...however, his plan generally fails.

edtc2.png

Ed is a member of the Alpha Gang. He is fairly quiet because whenever he does choose to speak, he gets yelled at by Ursula. He is a big coward at heart, and never wants to upset anyone, so he will follow his fellow teammates to the end of the world, no matter how scary the situation.

rodoy0.png

Rod is Dr. Z's 12 year-old grandson. He is smart beyond his years, especially when it comes to working on inventions with Dr. Z.

lauratr2.png

Laura is Dr. Z's 6 year-old granddaughter and Rod's little sister. She is a little genuis with numbers and makes money playing the stock market to help fund the Alpha Gang activities.

sethta8.png

Seth is the only intelligent member of the Alpha Gang; however, he doesn't like to associate himself with Ursula, Zander and Ed. He gets annoyed with the other three members and is the only real threat to the D-Team.

Saturday, September 13th: Episode 27
English Title: "Carnival of Chaos"
Japanese Title: "A Big Scheme of the Dinosaur Playground!"

Episode Description: The Alpha Gang opens a dinosaur-themed amusement park to raise capital for continuing operations.

NewcomerDC

GOOD NEWS: 4Kids know that kids can read. in the scene where Max and Rex looks at the magazine of Dinosaur Land, at least the theme park's name was not scrubbed out by digital paint.

Is it just me or does this episode at the end has a season finale feeling to it?

PC!

lolwut?
"Ha ha ha! You're so easy to fool!"

Line of the episode because it was so unexpected. Might as well be blunt with her, it's not like she'd pick up on it.

Okay, the animation when they power up their dinosaurs is ridiculously over the top. Do you really have to do a backbend to give your dinosaur powers? :p

bigddan11

Justice must be served!
If it wasn't clear before, Rod and Laura are clearly better at battling than anyone else in the Alpha Gang. It's a shame they are wasted by having to sit and study all the time. It's also clear that Seth is the brains of the operation.

I couldn't help but laugh at Dr. Taylor's reaction when he remembered it was his anniversary. I wasn't expecting him to be able to play the harmonica so melodiously though. He is a true hidden romantic.

Goldstar!

All right-y!
What with Dinosaur King moving from 4KidsTV to CW4Kids, my local CW affiliate aired DK at 8am, so thankfully, I didn't sleep through it.

It's was a pretty enjoyable episode. For a moment I thought that this would be the episode where Aki finally learns the truth about the dinosaurs, but alas, this was not the case. Also, I noticed that in this episode, everyone pronounced her name as "Ah-KEE" instead of "AH-Key". interesting. I guess it's like the whole Rain-Ronnie (actually spelled "Rahne", but pronounced "Rain" and incorrectly pronounced as "Ronnie" by Shadowcat) on X-Men: Evolution.

The Dino Kids cross paths with Rod and Laura again. Rod and Laura seem to handle to dinos pretty well, considering that I've never seen them do it before.

I'm no shipper, but regarding Spike and Aki's "lovey-dovey" moment at the end, I've got to say it: Aaaaawwww!:anime:

Yash

dr. yashouzeke "loser" asakura
Cute episode. The subplot between Spike and Aki isn't something you usually find in Saturday morning television, so it was a nice change of pace.

I haven't watched this series in a while, so I've gotta say - Maddie Blaustein's character is great.

Ian

¡Mierda santa! ¡Ninjas!
Yay, the show's back!

Dammit. I was all set to be mad at Spike for forgetting their anniversary, his "You're so easy to fool!" line, and his abject refusal to left his wive in on the secret. And yet...that last scene...dammit, that was awesome. David Wills and Veronica Taylor knocked it out of the park.

On another note, nice to see Rod and Laura again, and fighting this time. On a related note, I don't remember Dr. Z having captured quite so many dinosaurs. Does the D-Team hand over their cards to the Alpha Gang after every episode or what?

Also good to see some new attack animation. Looks damn painful, but pretty. And either Zoe has one serious push-up bra, or she's taking hormones, because those are not the breasts of a twelve-year old.

Poor Reese, getting left behind.

I love this show.

PC!

lolwut?
powahzd0.jpg

Couldn't resist. :p I'd have given her Saiyan hair, but that's beyond my artistic abilities. A leeeetle dramatic, wouldn't you say?

Light Lucario

Staff member
This was a fun episode and a great way to get back into new episodes. Seth does appear to be the only smart member of the Alpha gang with figuring out to work the dinosaurs instead of the people. It was also nice to see more of Aki in this episode. The fact that Dr. Taylor forgot their wedding anniversary because of dinosaurs was funny and matched well with his character. I got a good laugh when Max and Dr. Taylor had the same reaction to the dinosaur theme park. I felt bad for Resse getting left behind like that. I was honestly surprised that the Alpha Gang had that many dinosaurs. I know for a fact that there were dinosaur cards that the D-Team had captured before, but I just went with it. I was somewhat surprised that Rex didn't recognized Alpha Point from before though.

I laughed so hard when Dr. Taylor realized it was their wedding anniversary. I loved his line "You're so easy to fool" right after that dinosaur came so close to them. Of course, things started to go wrong for the Alpha Gang and Seth was the only one to see that. Despite being the boss, Dr. Z really didn't know what Seth was talking about. The Alpha Gang running into the kids was to be expected. At least it didn't take them too long to figure out how to ruin their plan, even though they were just trying to make more money for food.

I also really liked seeing Rod and Laura in action like that. I agree that they are better at handling the dinosaurs than the Alpha Gang. Too bad that they had to leave, but at least Helga does provide some awesome and funny moments herself. It was also cool to see the upgraded Dino Holders in action. It does give an easier access to cards, as well as giving overly dramatic poses. I really liked seeing Dr. Taylor and Aki together on that tunnel ride. Of course, they just stole the whole ending part of the episode with the fireworks, the flashback to when he asked her to marriage him before and Dr. Taylor playing that song again. That just felt so warm and fuzzy that I couldn't help but go awwwww! as they were ending the episode.

Overall, a fun filled episode for the new season. Some great humor, good action and a sweet happy ending that we usually don't see on Saturday morning cartoons. I'm so happy to watch new episodes of Dinosaur King again and I'll look foreword to seeing next week's episode as well.

bigddan11

Justice must be served!
Yay, the show's back!

Dammit. I was all set to be mad at Spike for forgetting their anniversary, his "You're so easy to fool!" line, and his abject refusal to left his wive in on the secret. And yet...that last scene...dammit, that was awesome. David Wills and Veronica Taylor knocked it out of the park.

On another note, nice to see Rod and Laura again, and fighting this time. On a related note, I don't remember Dr. Z having captured quite so many dinosaurs. Does the D-Team hand over their cards to the Alpha Gang after every episode or what?

Also good to see some new attack animation. Looks damn painful, but pretty. And either Zoe has one serious push-up bra, or she's taking hormones, because those are not the breasts of a twelve-year old.

Poor Reese, getting left behind.

I love this show.
If you remember, in one episode the Alpha Gang managed to take a folder full of Dino cards, so many of these dinos came from that binder. I do wish the D-Team had stopped some of those robots from keeping so many of those cards.

Light Lucario

Staff member
If you remember, in one episode the Alpha Gang managed to take a folder full of Dino cards, so many of these dinos came from that binder. I do wish the D-Team had stopped some of those robots from keeping so many of those cards.

I thought that the D-Team got back all of those cards when they were at the Alpha Point island during that two-part episode. I'm pretty sure some of those dinosaurs appeared in other episodes and the D-Team got them first. Maybe there are more than one of the same dinosaur card and that's what the Alpha Gang had to use.

bigddan11

Justice must be served!
I thought that the D-Team got back all of those cards when they were at the Alpha Point island during that two-part episode. I'm pretty sure some of those dinosaurs appeared in other episodes and the D-Team got them first. Maybe there are more than one of the same dinosaur card and that's what the Alpha Gang had to use.
That's exactly my point though. We don't know how many cards were in the folder. For all we know, there could have been two or three cards for each dino. A perfect example of this is both teams use the pterodactyls in this episode. The D-Team may have gotten the folder back, but that doesn't mean the Alpha Gang had left all the cards inside it for them to take.

D Dubbs

Wish Upon A Star
Yeah, I believe there are multiple cards for certain dinosaurs.

Hmm...I liked how it was supposedly Aki and Spike's wedding anniversary, yet in the flashback, we learn that it was more of a "becoming engaged" anniversary. :sweat: I'm not sure if that was a mistranslation in the dub, or if that was there in the original but it's still kinda funny either way...

This episode would have probably worked better as a season finale, but it was still pretty enjoyable. I think one of my favorite points of the episode is that the Alpha Gang was really used to their full potential here. The new slashing moves are cool, and it was nice for the writers to give a nod to Spike and Aki's relationship. Good stuff all around.

Yash

dr. yashouzeke "loser" asakura
Hmm...I liked how it was supposedly Aki and Spike's wedding anniversary, yet in the flashback, we learn that it was more of a "becoming engaged" anniversary. :sweat:
They probably just happened to spend their wedding anniversary at the same theme park where they were engaged.

Jophess

Tropical Plumber, hey!
I've watched Dinosaur King since episode 1 and I just adore this quirky little show. It's nice to see that a lot of voice actors who have worked on Pokemon work on this show and they're really haven't changed their style of voices for this show. I don't think any voice actor has the same style for every show they do, I just think it's strange. My nephew watches it too and he just freaks out when I point out all the Pokemon voices. ;)

DinoQueen13

Life is Now or Never
There are multiple cards, and the Alpha Gang originally has them all.
I thought that Carnival of Chaos was an awesome episode. However, I wasn't exactly crazy for Zoe's "Metal Wing" thing. Not the movements that she did, but the way she said it.

@Light Lucario (post #9): Remember, Rex was with Aki at that time, and she doesn't (or at least pretends not to) know about the dinosaurs and all. So maybe he was lying so she wouldn't get suspicious.

@Ian (post #7): Um, girl's hormones work up at different times. So you can't really be sure.

@bigddog (post #4): Rod and Laura sure do know how to use those dinosaurs (re: their line of "let's see who can really control their dinosaurs"), but do you think Seth might be just as good? If Rod and Laura learned from the Alpha Trio (my name for Ursula, Zander and Ed), they sure wouldn't fight like that.

I thought that Helga's line of "I've got oodles of noodles! Liver, gizzards and tongue too!" was hilarious.

Last edited by a moderator:

D Dubbs

Wish Upon A Star
COMPARISON (Carnival of Chaos)
1. In the dub, the first scene is the one on Zeta Point. In the original, the first scene is at the Taylor's household. Though, it doesn't really matter which order the scenes are in; I'm just pointing it out.

floweruf8.png
flowerdubvr1.png

2. The kanji is removed from the flowering packet.

dinosaurlandox9.png
dinosaurlanddublc4.png

dinosaurland2fv5.png
dinosaurland2dubmv4.png
dinosaurland3xt3.png
dinosaurland3dubjb6.png
dinosaurland4li1.png
dinosaurland4dubna3.png

3. The pamphlet is translated/filled in on the front, and on the back, the kanji is erased.

rocketkj7.png
rocketdubag5.png
rocket2qb0.png
rocket2dub0xz9.png
rocket3gl3.png
rocket3dubfc0.png

4. More translations...

scenecut1fu9.png
scenecut2rt9.png

5. After the final commercial break, a few shots are cut of the D-Team looking back at the Ferris Wheel.

scenecut4yn9.png
scenecut5pg5.png
scenecut3nw1.png

6. The final scene showing all the D-Team's current cards is cut from the episode.
Anyway...

cw4kids.jpg
dinosaurking.jpg

Saturday, September 20th: Episode 28
English Title: "Daddy Dearest"
Japanese Title: "The Second Secret Dinosaur"

Episode Description: While searching for fossils for a school project, the D-Team's Dino-holders detect a dinosaur appearance nearby.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I thought that this was a funny episode. I did really like seeing Dr. Z reacting to that dream and using his dinosaur bones to find that dinosaur. It surprisingly worked again. The whole first scene was priceless. Another dinosaur that Dr. Z raised from a baby was kind of fun to see. Is it just me or is the idea of being able to find fossils in buildings like mall kind of strange? Even in a cartoon, that just felt odd to me since I kept on thinking scientists would come and take them out or that they wouldn't be allowed to build a building like that.

Anyway, the D-Team's efforts to find fossils was kind of neat. I thought that Ace still be afraid of water was kind of cute, but I also felt bad for him. I liked seeing more of Dr. Z and Seth in this episode. Dr. Z's reaction to seeing the Alpha Gang and Seth having to grab him from falling was funny. I did like how this time, the dinosaur had a different reason for why it didn't want to go back with Dr. Z. It was pretty obvious that it didn't want anything to do with him, but it was more afraid of him than the other one. Dr. Z had a strange definition of tough love if he was constantly pushing the poor little thing. It also seemed a lot stronger than the other experimented dinosaur since it took out both the Alpha Gang's and the D-Team's dinosaurs pretty easily.

I really felt bad for that dinosaur since it was so afraid, even when the TV reporters came. It was kind of nice how it did save Dr. Z's life, despite all of the bad things he did to it, but I'm still glad that the D-Team got it. It was much too powerful for them to use so it would be a lot safer if the kids got it instead. I was also surprised that they found a huge fossil like that so easily. I thought something like that wouldn't be near a place like Tokyo, but it's better to just go with these things.

Overall, it was a great and funny episodes. As I said before, it was nice to see Dr. Z and Seth get more screen time than the last episode. Hopefully they'll be able to have more episodes with Dr. Z there since he's becoming one of my favorite comedy relief villains. Not close to Team Rocket, but still there. Anyway, I'm definitely looking foreword to next week's episode.

DinoQueen13

Life is Now or Never
COMPARISON (Carnival of Chaos)
1. In the dub, the first scene is the one on Zeta Point. In the original, the first scene is at the Taylor's household. Though, it doesn't really matter which order the scenes are in; I'm just pointing it out.

floweruf8.png
flowerdubvr1.png

2. The kanji is removed from the flowering packet.

dinosaurlandox9.png
dinosaurlanddublc4.png

dinosaurland2fv5.png
dinosaurland2dubmv4.png
dinosaurland3xt3.png
dinosaurland3dubjb6.png
dinosaurland4li1.png
dinosaurland4dubna3.png

3. The pamphlet is translated/filled in on the front, and on the back, the kanji is erased.

rocketkj7.png
rocketdubag5.png
rocket2qb0.png
rocket2dub0xz9.png
rocket3gl3.png
rocket3dubfc0.png

4. More translations...

scenecut1fu9.png
scenecut2rt9.png

5. After the final commercial break, a few shots are cut of the D-Team looking back at the Ferris Wheel.

scenecut4yn9.png
scenecut5pg5.png
scenecut3nw1.png

6. The final scene showing all the D-Team's current cards is cut from the episode.
Anyway...

cw4kids.jpg
dinosaurking.jpg

Saturday, September 20th: Episode 28
English Title: "Daddy Dearest"
Japanese Title: "The Second Secret Dinosaur"

Episode Description: While searching for fossils for a school project, the D-Team's Dino-holders detect a dinosaur appearance nearby.
Look again, DDubbs. They kept that last part in.

I felt bad for Therizinosaurus, that poor thing was used 'n abused. But I did enjoy Seth's appearance, and I can totally relate to Ace's aquaphobia.

Rolling Cloud

...too early....
cw4kids.jpg
dinosaurking.jpg

Saturday, September 27th: Episode 29
English Title: "Rhino or Dino?"
Japanese Title: "Dinosaur hunter at savanna!"

Episode Description: The Alpha gang & the D-team face off over a Torosaurus card.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

So, lemme get this straight. VA's have gone on strike protesting AI replicating their voices, and SAG-AFTRA signs a partnership deal with Narrativ? Apparently this is the second time SAG-AFTRA has done something like this.
Toonsylvania is a hidden gem from the late 90s, A real shame that the show hasn't been recognized since the early 2000s.
25 years ago today! Fox Kids introduced the United States to Digimon , the anime. Happy American 25th anniversary to it!

Featured Posts