The New Toonami Ratings Thread (now with more civility!)

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
I guess Rick and Morty's subs are considered a rerun if we aren't getting those? Under 150K is not a lot of people, but we don't know what the magic number is for "good ratings." Adult Swim keeps losing viewers to cord cutters, yet they keep surviving.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Oof, guess 2nd half of 2024 will be lowered expectations in terms of ratings. Sad because the past two years around this time, it was still barely pulling 200K in 2023 (though no one was into One Piece so there drop offs to 180-150) and 2022 (Yashahime had bigger drops offs).

aegisrawks

I guess Rick and Morty's subs are considered a rerun if we aren't getting those? Under 150K is not a lot of people, but we don't know what the magic number is for "good ratings." Adult Swim keeps losing viewers to cord cutters, yet they keep surviving.
To be honest the real demographic is the 18-49 and that has been consistent except in exceptionally good nights where it went up.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
To be honest the real demographic is the 18-49 and that has been consistent except in exceptionally good nights where it went up.

So is .06 the magic demo number for "good ratings"? I know that totals get lower and lower every year because of cord cutters, but somehow a late night shonen block has persisted and survived the cable exodus. It's not ratings as much as uncooperative distributors that are hurting Toonami.

aegisrawks

So is .06 the magic demo number for "good ratings"? I know that totals get lower and lower every year because of cord cutters, but somehow a late night shonen block has persisted and survived the cable exodus. It's not ratings as much as uncooperative distributors that are hurting Toonami.
And Adult Swim putting that awful show in front of it, Toonami did 160k before this. I just wanted to be positive.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
And Adult Swim putting that awful show in front of it, Toonami did 160k before this. I just wanted to be positive.

Demarco says the originals are huge ratings hits despite the fans hating most of them. The FLCL sequels did well in the ratings despite the hate. Part of me does hope that a original tanks hard enough that stop making these crappy originals and get more money in their pocket to get Jujutsu Kaisnen, Chainsaw Man, SpyXFamily, and the stuff fans actually want on the block.

aegisrawks

Demarco says the originals are huge ratings hits despite the fans hating most of them. The FLCL sequels did well in the ratings despite the hate. Part of me does hope that a original tanks hard enough that stop making these crappy originals and get more money in their pocket to get Jujutsu Kaisnen, Chainsaw Man, SpyXFamily, and the stuff fans actually want on the block.
I was about to object, I thought you were going to DEFEND the originals. But yeah they should stop. Also Rick And Morty doesnt even have the luxury of being a network premiere or even being an english language broadcast. Its a ratings killer any way I see it.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
As long as studios make their divisions churn out original content for their streamer, I don't see things like these Rick and Morte Anime stopping unfortunately. The only thing we can hope for, imo, is more of a balance of straight up adaptations and original creations. At least the adaptations have a better chance of being a hit. But yeah, hopefully they decide to punt the R&M Anime subs to the end of the block, lol.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
As long as studios make their divisions churn out original content for their streamer, I don't see things like these Rick and Morte Anime stopping unfortunately.

Crunchyroll eventually threw in the towel on their originals branding (I think they still coproduce anime, just without the branding). Shows with the Crunchyroll Originals branding have been so bad that they made the Toonami originals look like a masterpiece as Toonami hasn't made anything Ex Arm level bad yet (salty fans saying the CGI in Ninja Kamui was Ex Arm bad were obviously being hyperbolic as Ninja Kamui had way more redeeming qualities). Max in theory could go for acquisitions and I feel like the best thing for Toonami is if Max had some synergy with Max having an arrangement like this:

Max licenses AAA shonen title. Toonami airs the dub premiere (and possibly airs the sub too later in the night). Max streams the AAA shonen exclusively the next day

I think Max and Toonami would be more more loved by fans if they operated in this manner. When you go to Hot Topic, isn't all the merch Demon Slayer or MHA rather than Fena Pirate Princess or Housing Complex C? Shonen is obviously what the fans would prefer.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Crunchyroll eventually threw in the towel on their originals branding (I think they still coproduce anime, just without the branding). Shows with the Crunchyroll Originals branding have been so bad that they made the Toonami originals look like a masterpiece as Toonami hasn't made anything Ex Arm level bad yet (salty fans saying the CGI in Ninja Kamui was Ex Arm bad were obviously being hyperbolic as Ninja Kamui had way more redeeming qualities). Max in theory could go for acquisitions and I feel like the best thing for Toonami is if Max had some synergy with Max having an arrangement like this:

Max licenses AAA shonen title. Toonami airs the dub premiere (and possibly airs the sub too later in the night). Max streams the AAA shonen exclusively the next day
One would hope but that Variety from March about WB's investing in anime didn't outright say acquisition. This was the same studio that helped give JoJo the push to anime in the 2010s then the same one gave us an anime Suicide Squad this year.

JMTV

Tater Tot!
Adult Swim keeps losing viewers to cord cutters, yet they keep surviving.
TBF, at least Adult Swim is still doing better in the ratings compared to Cartoon Network, even after the cord cutting.
I know that totals get lower and lower every year because of cord cutters, but somehow a late night shonen block has persisted and survived the cable exodus.
Well, cable TV in general is in a very precarious state. Nobody knows what's going to happen to Toonami a few years from now. Or heck, even a month from now.

Despite the cord cutting, at least Adult Swim still have faith in the Toonami brand, and it's good to have a anime marketplace for linear TV viewers, whatever we like it or not.
It's not ratings as much as uncooperative distributors that are hurting Toonami.
I said this before, and I'll say it again: thanks Crunchyroll -_-
Well, the fans are going to have vote their wallets for now on. If these people hate the Toonami originals so much, then they should stop watching them. Don't give Adult Swim your view because guess what happens when you go home, turn on the TV, tuned in on Saturday night to watch new anime? They won. It doesn't matter if you love or hate Toonami originals, you already give them a lot of views and money. Once people stop watching it and making the numbers go down, that's when Adult Swim started to listen and pulled Toonami originals altogether. However, when the views are getting consistently high, it shows that Toonami originals are not going anywhere anytime soon, even if people hated.
As long as studios make their divisions churn out original content for their streamer, I don't see things like these Rick and Morte Anime stopping unfortunately. The only thing we can hope for, imo, is more of a balance of straight up adaptations and original creations. At least the adaptations have a better chance of being a hit. But yeah, hopefully they decide to punt the R&M Anime subs to the end of the block, lol.
Yeah, that's what I'm hoping for, too.
Crunchyroll eventually threw in the towel on their originals branding (I think they still coproduce anime, just without the branding). Shows with the Crunchyroll Originals branding have been so bad that they made the Toonami originals look like a masterpiece
Yeah, have you seen High Guardian Spice? That should tell you something.
Yeah, that's what they should've done.

Then again, we are dealing with the big boss who is a cheapstake that loves reality shows, so...

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Interesting to note just how brief the Crunchyroll Originals initiative lasted. It only lasted three years from 2020-2022 and it is obvious that Sony's acquisition destroyed the brand. Nu Toonami has been doing anime originals since 2018 and there are no signs of them slowing down.

JMTV

Tater Tot!
Interesting to note just how brief the Crunchyroll Originals initiative lasted. It only lasted three years from 2020-2022 and it is obvious that Sony's acquisition destroyed the brand.
Well, it's two years actually, but I get what you're saying.
Nu Toonami has been doing anime originals since 2018 and there are no signs of them slowing down.
True. IGPX was one of the first Toonami original, but that got moved to Discotek Media, for what I've heard. But yeah, Toonami started to make their own originals since 2018, thanks to the FLCL sequels.

RedTail

About the ratings discrepancies that were being discussed earlier in the week... One of these sites might have been referencing the fast nationals, which are just quick-and-dirty preliminary ratings that often end up being revised up or down once the official numbers drop.

Spotlight

Members online

No members online now.

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

What happened to all our posts from yesterday?
Ok, this was all related to the latest server migration. In addition to not being able to post, I can't log out either well by deleting cookies you can.
Yojimbo wrote on Zedd's profile.
can not post, get this error message (but can post on people's profiles and post status updates)
Forum is back but I (and I assume everyone) can not make a post.
I would love to know what anime are popular in Serbia

Featured Posts