The Official Live-Action "One Piece" News & Discussion Thread

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter

Nobodyman

My biggest question is how they'll handle the aging cast. You can keep an animated Luffy 19 forever, but a LA one, not so much.

Classic Speedy

Boogie oogie oogie
Staff member
Reporter
My biggest question is how they'll handle the aging cast. You can keep an animated Luffy 19 forever, but a LA one, not so much.
Deaging, maybe? Otherwise, I really can't see this running for over 20 years like the anime anyway, so I'm not too concerned about it.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Okay, we will be getting the arc that was skipped back in the 4kids dub.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Kinda surprised it got put in the children's category considering how much more violent this show was than the other nominees (Percy Jackson, Goosebumps).

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
From the front page of AnimeSuperhero.com.

"Season Two of Live Action “One Piece” News Roundup"​

One-Piece.webp

The 2023 Western live action adaptation of One Piece is widely seen as the greatest Western live action anime adaptation ever made, being much more faithful than previous adaptations. It spent several weeks on Netflix’s top ten charts and definitely was a major hit. The Writers Guild awarded the premiere episode in the “Children’s Episodic, Long Form, and Specials” category. Now fans have to wait for a second season, which can sometimes be a long wait for a Netflix television show. Netflix is known for its multi-year long waits between seasons, like the infamous gap we will have of at least three years for Stranger Things, but it is possible that we will be spared of that and only have a two year gap.

Production Weekly has reported that the live action One Piece is aiming for a 2025 release, which is only a two year between seasons. Filming is set to start in June of this year and is set to wrap up in January 2025. A two year rather than three year wait is fortunate as unlike cartoon characters, actors age and middle aged Straw Hat pirates would be awkward. There are over 1,100 episodes in the anime to adapt, so it is doubtful the entire anime will receive a complete adaptation, but the live action One Piece is planned to have six seasons, which should with a biennial schedule, should have the show running to 2033.

Click here to read the full article.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
More cast additions for season 2, Baroque Works agents.
David Dastmalchian (Oppenheimer) is Mr. 3, Jazzara Jaslyn (Warrior) is Miss Valentine, Camrus Johnson (Batwoman) plays Mr. 5 and Daniel Lasker (Raised By Wolves) is Mr. 9. The four characters come directly from Oda’s pirate adventure manga.

06/27:
Even more casting news.
Netflix‘s One Piece has added four more cast members for its upcoming second season. Callum Kerr (Monarch) has been cast as Smoker, Julia Rehwald (Fear Street) as Tashigi, Rob Colletti (The Many Saints of Newark) as Wapol and Ty Keogh (24 Hours To Live) as Dalton, all characters straight from Eiichiro Oda,’s pirate adventure manga. Additional cast and roles to be revealed at a later date.

Last edited:

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Admittedly I don't really know any of those actors but so far the casting has been pretty spot on. I do know some people were hoping for Danny Devito as Wapol which yeah would have been some pretty solid casting (and we know he can play that sort of nasty slimeball character that Wapol is as seen when he did Penguin in Batman Returns or heck even Frank Sr in It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia) but I get you aren't always going to get the Most super A or B list talent for a Netflix show even one like this... though still hoping that we get Jamie Lee Kurtis as Dr. Kureha since hey even SHE expressed interest in that role.

PinkieLopBun

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
From the front page of AnimeSuperhero.com:

"New Cast Additions Announced For Netflix’s One Piece Season 2"​

02xuaj16.jpg

"If reports are correct, Netflix started filming Season 2 of their surprisingly excellent live-action adaption of One Piece earlier this month. No shots of the sets exist, but we do know a little more about who is playing who.

Four actors were announced by the Netflix One Piece Twitter account this week to be playing key characters in the storyline for the second season. The biggest one is Captain Smoker, to be portrayed by Callum Kerr. I’d explain what he’s known for but it’s kinda obvious. 4Kids, who forbade depictions of tobacco on their shows, had their hands full with Smoker. Since they couldn’t alter his giant cigars into lollipops, they simply painted them out…which meant smoke was coming from the Captain’s mouth at all times with no explanation."

Read the full article here.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
From the front page of AnimeSuperhero.com:

"Aw Shucks: Jamie Lee Curtis Won’t Be On One Piece After All"​

AAAABUO5oZTgqdLOE1sKmWvGSyEsGDBAz39MZZMDCJ2cVKgTXD4k7r9A3H28AMVoVWVApEZtXIxWB7WoVPnuoRGHxkeYyFFK7wG1vgsg.jpg

"There’s been a lot of speculation over who is playing who on the second season of Netflix’s One Piece show, but the one casting decision everyone figured would definitely be a lock was Jamie Lee Curtis as Dr. Kureha. Unfortunately executive producer Becky Clements has confirmed that isn’t happening.

It isn’t because JLC wasn’t willing. It’s well known by now she loves One Piece, has been a fan for a long time, and her favorite character is Chopper. This whole rumor started years ago when the actress tweeted out a Photoshop of her head on a drawing of Dr. Kureha’s body and said “The Internet has spoken and mommy needs a job.”

The reason Curtis can’t appear as Chopper’s guardian is because mommy DOESN’T need a job — she’s already locked down by other commitments that conflict with the shooting schedule of One Piece Season 2. As Clements told Deadline, “She definitely wanted to do it, but she’s got deals in first position, and it just became complicated,” She did not say who had been cast instead, but commented “We have found an amazing person.”"

Read the full article here.

Spotlight

Members online

No members online now.

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

What happened to all our posts from yesterday?
Ok, this was all related to the latest server migration. In addition to not being able to post, I can't log out either well by deleting cookies you can.
Yojimbo wrote on Zedd's profile.
can not post, get this error message (but can post on people's profiles and post status updates)
Forum is back but I (and I assume everyone) can not make a post.
I would love to know what anime are popular in Serbia

Featured Posts