The Spectacular Spider-Man "Identity Crisis" Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate this episode

• ***1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • **1/2

• *1/2

• Idiotic Crisis

• Total voters

Stu

Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
So long secret identity...

The Spectacular Spider-Man
Episode #20: Identity Crisis

Original Airdate: July 27th, 2009

Peter Parker’s secret identity as Spider-Man has been outted by Venom, leaving Pete and his loved ones vulnerable to all of Spidey’s enemies.

Comments?

Webbed-Wonder

Still thwipping!
This was great and really intense. But I thought the animation was really off-model this episode, and I found that really distracting. Which is weird because the off-model episodes never really bothered me any other time here. I still give it 5 stars because it certainly warrants it.

Manhunter

Super-Tech Cat Ninja Guy
Man, those reporters. Guess Adrian Toomes isn't the only Vulture in NYC.

Not one of them, not even the ones at the Bugle, get what it would mean for Peter to have his identity revealed to the world. Ned should have gotten the hint when he interviewed Mysterio. Just about all of Peter's loved ones will have a huge bull's-eye on them. Just because soembody had to sell newspapers or get ratings.

Rick Jones

Big Fan
Staff member
I love this episode. After last year's finale, I wasn't in a hurry to see Eddie rejoin the symbiote so soon but they really delivered here. It was fun seeing Flash doing the old Spider-Man fakeout. I still have vivid memories of reading a reprint of Amazing Spider-Man #5, where I first saw him do that, as a kid. The fight between Venom and Spidey was incredible, and I actually felt sorry for Eddie right there at the end. Capt. Stacy has really moved up my list of characters to watch.

After the symbiote drained out into the sewer, it just made me think of it probably spreading a Web Of Shadows style virus to some unlucky New Yorkers. We'll probably never see anything like that happen on this series though.

R-Taco

Just A Little Bit Crazy
Man, that fight during the second half was intense. I didn't mind the off-modelness, since it still looked more on-model than First Steps and the animation in this episode had a much better sense of gravity and momentum than it did there. Fantasic choreography didn't hurt.

I had a feeling that somehow Pete would keep his secret a secret (since revealing it is storytelling suicide), but it was cool to see how smart Venom was about the whole thing (trying to unmask him in public, nudging others into being suspicious, etc.). I was pretty underwhelmed by Venom last season, but by having him do something other than flat-out kill Spidey (like every other villain) he becomes a lot more interesting.

And George Stacy totally knows Peter is Spider-Man. That talk at the end clinches it.

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
When we last left, Venom has just revealed Spider-Man's true identity to the Daily Bugle staff. J. Jonah is still not sure if this is true, so he hold off from leaking the news. However, he sends reporter Ned Lee to interview several people both Peter Parker and Spidey know. Meanwhile, Pete tries to avoid the annoying papparazzi and rumors at school. Things complicate when Eddie returns to the Connors lab, and threatens Pete. Venom now reveals his master plan: ruin Spidey's reputation, so that he will be hated when he is unmasked, and remove his powers with the gene cleanser so his enemies will hurt him and his loved ones. A lengthy fight between Spidey and Venom occurs at Midtown High, with reporters recording it. Thanks to Flash Thompson, Spidey uses the cleanser to remove the symbiote from Eddie. Since Peter wore his Spidey suit on Halloween ("The Uncertainty Principle"), Ned Lee concludes that they cannot be the same, Flash gets in the play, an insane Eddie is hauled off to Ravencroft, the symbiote is still in the loose, and the Connors lose control of the lab to Dr. Miles Warren. At the end, George Stacy gives a speech to Pete, hinting that he knows his secret.

Another great arc finale. However, I can't say it's my favorite. The writing was sharp, as always, and enjoyed the little details, like Ned Lee's interviews and Flash's failed attempts to impress Sha Shan. I have to say, he really did save Pete's butt, and was rewarded by being given a part in the play.

However, one of my complaints in the episode was the off-model animation. Yes, the Spidey/Venom fight was brutal and well-directed. However, the off-model was noticeable, more than usual. I also did not like the hundreds of floors they went through during a part of the battle, and how Ned quickly dismissed Pete being Spider-Man bothered me a little.

Otherwise, another solid episode. Especially enjoyed Pete and Gwen's not-kiss.

4.5/5

NEXT EPISODE: Rhino, Hammerhead, and Silver Sable search for an important prize for their respective bosses, something that will shift the power scheme of New York's underworld. Spider-Man, of course, is there to foil them.

Gokou Ruri

Wielder of the dark arts.
I didn't really notice any off-model designs, but I'm not a big fan of the art to begin with so I probably don't pay attention to that stuff much. Seemed okay to me. My main concern was more about the huge cop-out with Spider-Man's identity still being a secret in the end (aside from George Stacy being the only one with common sense). They could at least have more people find out, like Gwen, Liz, Flash, or other people who should be able to figure it out (especially Gwen, who's been around both Peter and Spider-Man plenty of times and should be able to tell her best friend is Spider-Man). Them knowing could have added some interesting dynamics to the show.

Nygma

Man, that fight during the second half was intense. I didn't mind the off-modelness, since it still looked more on-model than First Steps and the animation in this episode had a much better sense of gravity and momentum than it did there. Fantasic choreography didn't hurt.

Personally I thought First Steps was alot better in terms of all the categories you listed (including fight choreography).

As for this episode, it was good for what it was (mainly the stuff dealing with Petes identity). But the feud between Peter and Eddie still doesn't feel very personal (especially from Peters pov), and its still not anywhere near the potential that this version of Venom/Eddie Brock is capable of IMO.

I was glad we finally got an inkling of what Peter thought about Eddie (mainly him thinking Eddie was a slave to the symbiote), but its still not very deep or riveting stuff though.

jph139

Immortal
Not my FAVORITE episode of all time, but man, pretty sweet. Again, I like the tone they take with Venom here - it's easy to mishandle him or spread him too thin, but having him pop-up every so often to REALLY screw-over Peter is the perfect use. However, next time the Symbiote pops up - IF it pops up - I hope it tries to find a new host. I mean, Eddie's failed it twice now. Maybe bring in... Carnage?

Hey, they COMPLETELY changed around Venom - I'd LOVE to see Weisman and crew take on an even flatter character.

The personal life wasn't particularly interesting - since this was mostly about Spider-Man vs. Venom, of course - though I am enjoying Flash quite a bit; an idiot and a jerk, yeah, but he's got a good heart. Mostly.

That hint at the end pointed toward - as R-Taco said - Stacy knowing Peter's secret... so I'm wondering where that goes.

And more Shakespeare references continue to pop-up! Beyond A Midsummer Night's Dream, of course, you have Venom quoting the Bard. This final arc better be pretty good... they're hyping it up a bit, even if it is in a subdued way. Six episodes left in the season, right? I'm looking forward to it.

As for this episode, it was good for what it was (mainly the stuff dealing with Petes identity). But the feud between Peter and Eddie still doesn't feel very personal (especially from Peters pov), and its still not anywhere near the potential that this version of Venom/Eddie Brock is capable of IMO.

Well, that's the point, really. Pete doesn't hate Eddie. That scene at the end, after the Symbiote is down the drain is perfect evidence of this - he still thinks of him as a brother, but Eddie's too consumed by anger and dependence on the Symbiote to get that.

Nygma

Well, that's the point, really. Pete doesn't hate Eddie. That scene at the end, after the Symbiote is down the drain is perfect evidence of this - he still thinks of him as a brother, but Eddie's too consumed by anger and dependence on the Symbiote to get that.

Yeah but after all this time there was no mention of what he thinks about Eddie's hatred for him. Something like an internal monologue before this episode, where he says he wants to save Eddie from the symbiote would've been appreciated.

Also his reactions to Eddie/Venom have been inconsistent. Sometimes he reacts the way you'd expect them to with their past. And sometimes he treats him like he's any other villain not close to him behind the symbiote. IMO the real potential behind this version of Venom lies in Eddie's history with Peter; more so than simply just doing things the comic version of Venom should have done years ago.

Mistah K88

Now THAT was a fight scene. I really thought they would be unable to top the Sinister Six first go round but they got really close as far as a one on one fight...

Also...regarding the interviews... Norman, had an irritated tone while saying "No" about Pete (the son he never had) being Spider-Man. Makes you wonder, does he suddenly realize the truth about Spider-Man, or is Norman in denial about the whole situation? I didn't care for how quickly Ned dismissed the Spidey exposure, but he does have a point about it being risky to just walk around unmasked like that (especially with more powerful villains like Goblin, Ock, Rhino, etc who WOULD use that info wisely, it's dangerous enough that Venom knows.) Also, I guess everyone he interviewed either said no, or was clueless, save for the Connors and Eddie (and after this episode, I'm sure his credibility went down). I'm sure that more people are still suspicious about Spidey's identity, they just don't spell it out for us.

Eddie's breakdown in the locker room did wonders for his character. I'm sure in reality, he doesn't really hate Peter, he just forces hate in order to have the symbiote stay on/with him. The symbiote only feeds off of negative emotions and it will only "love" him for those emotions that taste good to it...He's become dependent on it for affection and a sense of family and developed a pretty bizarre relationship for that...thing...

In other News, Miles Warren is becoming quite the jerk.

Master Toon

I've changed my mind. This series is definitely better than the 90's one. And Raimi, this is what a Spidey/Venom fight looks like. Oh yeah, I went there. One part during the fight in the school, I thought that Venom was going to say something that Gwen would relate to Eddy. Either they decided not to go that route or it was just wishful thinking. It's more than likely the latter. Oh and I love it when Spidey said "He's my biggest fan... which is sad." I laughed so hard that I almost missed Venom popping up on the screen. Great episode, great series, can't wait for the next episode.

W.C.Reaf

I think this episode is great with excellent fights scenes and lots of little touches.

Like the look Pete gives Gwen after she laughs off the idea that he could be Spidey. He does seem to be a little insulted and thinking “Hey it’s not that farfetched”. Or the flirting between Ned and Betty, seeing as they had a relationship in the comics.

Venom was the perfect one of the rogues to give this sort of plot to ‘because at that point in time no one knew he was a bad guy. I mean the general public doesn’t know he kidnapped Gwen and hung her from a balloon or that he pretended to be Spidey and commit crimes, he was credible to them in a way, say, the Green Goblin isn’t.

You know thinking about it this actually works out better for Pete, in the long run that is. If any one else finds out he’s Spidey and tires to go to the press with it they’re going to get shot down unless they can actually prove it. Otherwise it’s just old news to them.

I liked that when Gwen sees Venom in the classroom she’s paralysed with fear for a few seconds before having to be dragged out of the room. It’s a nice way to show how she hasn’t fully gotten over what happened to her in the season 1 final, since it only happened about two months ago.

I wonder what she thinks of Eddie proclaiming that he’s Venom. She might believe it since he disappeared just after Venom attacked and vanished, and he came back the same time Venom did. Whatever she thinks I bet their friendship is going to be pretty strained now.

Also Sha Shan essentially called Flash a Jacka** at the end of the ep. :)

Master Toon

I wonder what she thinks of Eddie proclaiming that he’s Venom. She might believe it since he disappeared just after Venom attacked and vanished, and he came back the same time Venom did.

She might think that it's a result of him being attacked by Venom. Yes I know he wasn't attacked but that's what she thinks happened.

Also Sha Shan essentially called Flash a Jacka** at the end of the ep. :)
I think the only person who didn't get that was Flash, lol.

W.C.Reaf

She might think that it's a result of him being attacked by Venom. Yes I know he wasn't attacked but that's what she thinks happened.

Possibly. As Flash demonstrated him saying he's Venom doesn't mean people would believe that. She also could not want to believe that her friend would be a monster like Venom.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Sparklefan1234 wrote on Mejo's profile.
My unpopular post was because the movie was my first real exposure to Tom and Jerry as characters.

I like a lot of Disney's short cartoons that don't contain dialogue. :)
@Moe They've added a Nash Bridges channel to Freevee , Lionsgate made a Free channel, it first showed up on Direct TV stream a couple days ago.
How about the potential Gumball + Bocchi the Rock! animated crossover? What do you think about this/that potential one?

youtube Nickelodeon short uploaded Nick News roller coaster clip (from last year). Nick News hasn't had new episode since last March!
Shea Fontana's brother Casey died a few days ago.

Featured Posts