To My Surprise, Speedy Gonzales Is In The Rotation On The Bugs Bunny And Friends Show on MeTV.

wiley207

The short that aired was the lower quality version with Daffy Duck, but this had ti be the first time in roughly over 20 years I saw Speedy on TV.
Yep, I saw it too! "Fiesta Fiasco" from 1967. It looks SO GOOD restored in high definition, compared to the old murky darkened PAL print circulating online for years (as Cartoon Network and Boomerang also played it). Talk about a much-needed upgrade! Plus, it was one of two shorts where Daffy was actually NICE to Speedy for a change. (The other was "Skyscraper Caper".)
1696132925047.png

Also, "Fiesta Fiasco" is the only Warner Bros. Animation production during the Seven Arts era with thunder and lightning, and despite all the Hanna-Barbera sound effects they don't use their thunder sounds, just like much of their Scooby-Doo stuff since the late 1990s, "Wabbit"/"New Looney Tunes", and "Tiny Toons Looniversity!" Or if we want to go even deeper, it's also like how "Linus the Lionhearted" used a bunch of H-B sound effects but not their thunder, and I've often compared the Warner Bros.- Seven Arts cartoons to that show.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
The short that aired was the lower quality version with Daffy Duck, but this had ti be the first time in roughly over 20 years I saw Speedy on TV.
Speedy was a regular character on Cartoon Network's The Looney Tunes Show , which ran from 2011 to 2013. He also appeared in a season #2 episode of New Looney Tunes titled "Tweet Team", which premiered in 2019.

Last edited:

Silverstar

Strong to th' Finnich
Speedy appeared in a season #2 episode of New Looney Tunes titled "Tweet Team", which premiered in 2019.
And if one counts it, he appeared in Space Jam: A New Legacy (2021), which was a movie, but due to the pandemic it aired simultaneously in theaters and on Max (then called HBO Max) so that also can be counted as a TV appearance.

wiley207

Yeah I’m pretty sure I saw one within the last year or so.
Yep, MeTV has been showing the Speedy Gonzales shorts on a recurring basis since they began running the Looney Tunes at the start of 2021.
The last time Cartoon Network ran one, I recall, was on the Looney Tunes's final original run on the network on October 3, 2004, with "Speedy Ghost to Town". Someone even refreshed my memory that it was actually the very last one to air on the network! (For a while I mis-remembered it as "Bewitched Bunny" being the finale, but I guess that one actually aired first in the half-hour block, due to Bugs being the star.)

Mr Flintstone

Just to be clear, I was referring to the classic Looney Tunes. I have Directv and we didn't have MeTV until a few months ago. But it's good to see it in the lineup.

Sam the Cartoonist

Yep, MeTV has been showing the Speedy Gonzales shorts on a recurring basis since they began running the Looney Tunes at the start of 2021.
The last time Cartoon Network ran one, I recall, was on the Looney Tunes's final original run on the network on October 3, 2004, with "Speedy Ghost to Town". Someone even refreshed my memory that it was actually the very last one to air on the network! (For a while I mis-remembered it as "Bewitched Bunny" being the finale, but I guess that one actually aired first in the half-hour block, due to Bugs being the star.)
According to the CN Schedule Archive wiki, "Betwitched Bunny" was indeed the last Looney Tunes short to air in 2004, so you're not misremembering anything:

Rick Jones

Big Fan
Staff member
Sometime this summer, my local MeTV started airing the affiliate channel's morning news instead of "Toon In.." and other cartoon blocks, so I've had to kiss these good times goodbye .

aegisrawks

Sometime this summer, my local MeTV started airing the affiliate channel's morning news instead of "Toon In.." and other cartoon blocks, so I've had to kiss these good times goodbye .
Did they stop entirely? As in NO MORE cartoons?

I love Me TV and this is disheartening to hear but their commitment to cartoons is STRONG. They will air the Charlie Brown specials.

Rick Jones

Big Fan
Staff member
Did they stop entirely? As in NO MORE cartoons?

I love Me TV and this is disheartening to hear but their commitment to cartoons is STRONG. They will air the Charlie Brown specials.
It's just my local affiliate. For some reason they decided locally, that we would prefer to watch the morning news from the CBS station than to watch the cartoons. I already didn't watch the CBS station for a reason.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

wiley207

According to the CN Schedule Archive wiki, "Betwitched Bunny" was indeed the last Looney Tunes short to air in 2004, so you're not misremembering anything:

Yeah, in addition to it being close to Halloween, it's almost as if they chose that one so it looked like the series run on Cartoon Network concluded with a happy ending for Bugs...
1701799396556.png

That way the kids would think Bugs was living a happily ever after with a girl rabbit, rather than being thrown out in the street or something.

DeanBurrito25

Me-TV is aimed squarely at Baby Boomers, so that would explain why they have no qualms with giving the "less favorable" LT characters airtime - and even then, Speedy Gonzales had prominent roles in both Space Jam 2 and The Looney Tunes Show. He's fared a lot better than the womanizing French skunk we all know.

Mr Flintstone

Me-TV is aimed squarely at Baby Boomers, so that would explain why they have no qualms with giving the "less favorable" LT characters airtime - and even then, Speedy Gonzales had prominent roles in both Space Jam 2 and The Looney Tunes Show. He's fared a lot better than the womanizing French skunk we all know.

But have slow poke Rodriguez made an appearance? Lol I don't believe that Speedy was ever the issue. It was always those background mice that appeared either lazy or intoxicated at times.

And just a heads up. Me-TV will be airing "A Very Merry Bugs Bunny Christmas" on Saturday December 23.

Last edited:

Low Spark of Lyman

What a night! I had to do six encores at the club.
But have slow poke Rodriguez made an appearance? Lol I don't believe that Speedy was ever the issue. It was always those background mice that appeared either lazy or intoxicated at times.
Yeah...I've noticed MeTV is more focused on Speedy cartoons from the post-1964 era than those from earlier years, and have suspected that sort of thing to be the reason.

Moe

Just to be clear, I was referring to the classic Looney Tunes. I have Directv and we didn't have MeTV until a few months ago. But it's good to see it in the lineup.
CN did censored Speedy Gonzales for short time and they dropped it after large numbers of Latino animated fans said that they aren't offensive by this character and demanded to return to CN, so ultimately, CN started to air shorts on CN in 2002.

Unlike CN, Nick, ABC, Boomerang and WB, MeTV didn't censor the shorts unless it is nudity due to FCC rule.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

PF9
I'd like to hear your thoughts on these proposals:

Has anyone seen PSI Cops last night?

(cricket noises)

Yeah, I still can't believe that was a thing.
Paramount and Skydance have officially merged. Does this mean that Brian Robbins got the boot?
Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.

Featured Posts